Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,881 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (365) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2058773 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (1691) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:15pm On Mar 04, 2018
But then is this not the beauty of experiment? To see the outcomes of different hypothesis or trials. Let him conclude and feedback the house... Who knows grin
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Oga Sinistrian.

Say we agree that the Fangpusun Blue Solar has the superior MPPT algorithm, you can only get worse results by feeding the superior DC output of the Fangpusun into a inferior DC Buck Converter (essentially what the Axpert is in this scenario). The Axpert will not suddenly become wonderful because it is receiving input from a good MPPT CC - your solar panels are already an excellent DC power source and I see only subpar results as the outcome of this experiment because per the laws of physics you won't be able to create additional power out of nothing - you can only convert from one form to another and there will always be conversion losses even in the best of circumstances.

While you can feed other DC sources into an MPPT CC, they are optimised to work with solar panels as the DC input and not necessarily any and every other DC source.

You need to be careful also not to damage the Blue Solar or Axpert as they present a variable and unnatural load profle to each other while attempting to do their work..

You just might release the magic smoke from your precious equipment and end this experiment in an ugly manner.

Just connect the output of the FangPusun Blue Solar to your batteries per the original design and you should be good.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 9:18pm On Mar 04, 2018
This is the best i've ever got since I purchased the BlueSolar charge controller (after following Niyi's advice and connecting the thing directly to batteries jejely grin)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:25pm On Mar 04, 2018
Order from aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-smart-12v-3A-battery-charger-AC-110v-220v-plug-US-AU-eu-dc-12v-lithium/32597578907.html
mukhcech:
Good day my people... Viva FTA. Guys this is my battery and the charger information.... Pls can I get a minimal solar setup to charge this.... Our transformer don blow. Please help me mention the gurus in the house. Thanks.

My Batteries are 40ah...The real problem is getting a CC that can give the same output as the Charger. Thank you

CC Saipro

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:35pm On Mar 04, 2018
So I thought when I opted for 1hp AC only to realise its up-to 1200w.The 1hp is only compressor... what about the fan that cools the radiator? What about the fan in the inside unit for circulation? Energy nor easy o
NoMoreTrolling:

Amazing.

21kwh? wow! You could have run a 1hp/780watts air conditioner for a couple of hours without breaking a sweat.

keep your rooms nice and chilly while it's blazing hot outside.

more power to you.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:38pm On Mar 04, 2018
A full lead acid battery is 12.9v and above so at 24v arrangement should be 25.8v so that battery at 25v is not full yet
NoMoreTrolling:

how come at almost 25v, your display is showing battery low
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 9:56pm On Mar 04, 2018
mukhcech:
Good day my people... Viva FTA. Guys this is my battery and the charger information.... Pls can I get a minimal solar setup to charge this.... Our transformer don blow. Please help me mention the gurus in the house. Thanks.

My Batteries are 40ah...The real problem is getting a CC that can give the same output as the Charger. Thank you

CC Saipro

Well, those are LiFePo4 batteries. And they're wonderful in performance. Lightweight and pack a punch but do poorly with inductive loads. Had a few units. The inbuilt BMS works pretty well. Kinda special charging needs. CC CV means CC CV in this case. Being lithium, they can go boom! when stress charged. That particular brand also seems to live for years if you avoid full discharge/full charge cycles (it's quite happy with 95% charge with a weekly top off to 100%).

Now that we've addressed their needs, I see you have 3 batteries in the picture. Not sure how that works out (2 in use and one spare? One at a time? 3 in parallel?). Whatever the case, charging all three at once without going over the top ... a single 200W panel should suffice. A single 280W panel is the optimum. Give or take (and aiming for battery longevity, a single 250W panel is the middle ground. Or a PWM with current limiting capabilities (MorningStar and Xantrex come to mind). All these suggestions presume you're charging 3 batteries and charging them at once, assuming the same state of charge for them all (lithium batteries aren't fond of imbalance either)

Whatever you do, never feed more than 5A into any single battery. Fix charging voltage at 14.4V for fastest charging or 14.2V for an absurd battery life. Your choice.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NoMoreTrolling: 1:01am On Mar 05, 2018
efuro:

I remember saying " Naa Me Be Dis?" The first time my diy setup hit 1kw. I had the urge to grow it as much I can through out the terrible recession time. (It was only the marketers that constantly had smiles on their faces - after all - what you buy is what you sell, and prices stayed up there except for JUO).

For those starting, do not be ashamed/afraid to post ur harvest, it is an achievement which you would have paid discos to use. The thread is a place to share successes , troubleshooting, new aspirations etc.
In response to ur request, the pix is my harvest as at 6.32pm. apart from ironing clothes once or twice a week, my harvest has been 6-8kw daily with day time requirement of 680w .

Nice!! I love seeing harvest pics smiley

True, even with a small setup, the power just keeps coming in.

Honestly, it's not even about not paying discos for the power sef, it's about freedom from their para. With your 8kwh harvest, obviously depending on your use, I'm sure you don't bother too much with NEPA anymore. Like if there is black out for one week, you will surely pull through comfortably. Such a wonderful feeling smiley

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NoMoreTrolling: 1:31am On Mar 05, 2018
DMerciful:
So I thought when I opted for 1hp AC only to realise its up-to 1200w.The 1hp is only compressor... what about the fan that cools the radiator? What about the fan in the inside unit for circulation? Energy nor easy o

Well, it really depends on the model though. some 1hp acs just like you said, are rated for as much as 1200 watts, but there are other models out there that run under 900 watts, all electronics inclusive.

check out the specs for this 1hp LG inverter V: http://www.lg.com/africa/split-air-conditioners/lg-BS-Q0964NA0

Just 830 running watts.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:31am On Mar 05, 2018
Good morning all ! Wishing you all a fruitful week ahead-more money into your bank accounts smiley , Amen !!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:37am On Mar 05, 2018
CALL US NOW

We also BUY dead / scrap deep cycle inverter batteries .
100a N8000
200a N16000

T&C applies!

Smartcell global services
081-350-31951

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:39am On Mar 05, 2018
kiekie1:
WATCH THIS SPACE FOR BEST PRICES YOU CAN GET ON PRAG PRODUCTS . STAY TUNED !!!

Prag inverter 1kva 12v ......N65,000
Prag √√√√√ 1.2kva 12v....N70,000
Prag √√√√√ 2kva 24v.......N88,000
Prag √√√√√ 1.5kva 24v....N98,000

Prag Solar inverter 1.5kva 24v....N125,000
Prag inverter 3kva 24v ....N
Prag solar inverter 3kva 24v...N
Prag inverter 5kva 48v ....

Prag 4kva 24v wall H ......N225,000
Prag 6.5kva 48v wall H....

PRAG servo & relay stabilizers ;

-Prag 3kva relay B(95-280v)..N
-Prag 3kva relay E(95-280v)..N
-Prag 10kva servo ..N103,000
-Prag 12kva servo...N
-Prag 15kva relay(95-280v)...N110,000
-Prag 15kva(45-280v)..N125,000
-Prag 20kva relay (95-280v)..N145,000
-Prag 20kva relay(45-280v)PB...N
-Prag 20kva relay Y..N130,000
-Prag 20kva servo(80-260v) ...N
-Prag 30kva servo(80-260v)...N

For fast order,delivery
Contact details:
Sir Frankie
081-350-319-51

STILL AVAILABLE..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:42am On Mar 05, 2018
kiekie1:
HURRY ! DiSCOUNTED PRICES !!!

Foresolar solar panel

MONO-
325w. N60,000

JOY SOLAR panels:

320w mono. N58,000 
260w mono. N45,000
200w mono. N36,000
150w mono. N30,000

320w poly. N55,000
180w poly. N35,000
110w poly. N20,000

Sunshine panel
150w poly. N26,000

Mouth watering discounts on;
-Solarshop Nig products
-Prag products
-Back2back distribution partners
-Luminous products
-Voltron inverters etc

CALL US NOW:
Order now 081-350-31951

STILL AVAILABLE...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ebocoms: 9:40am On Mar 05, 2018
Thanks @NoMoreTrolling. I called another installer over the weekend to double check my installation; he discovered 2 of the panels has not been working and fixed it. I guess it was bridged during initial installation. My output is now doubled after fixing the panels. My configuration was also changed to 2 x 2. Saturday peak output was 772.5W and 30A.

NoMoreTrolling:

Nice setup! What are you complaining about though, if your batteries are always full by the time you get home

Since you aren't really tasking the setup during the day time, I won't expect you to see much juice unless your batteries are almost dead.

Try to run some load on it while you're home on a weekend, in full sun, like around 11-1pm. See what you get. Maybe through a microwave on or something and see.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 11:36am On Mar 05, 2018
sinistrian:
This is the best i've ever got since I purchased the BlueSolar charge controller (after following Niyi's advice and connecting the thing directly to batteries jejely grin)
victron bluesolar or fangpusun
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 11:51am On Mar 05, 2018
My stats share is about my sun set to sun raise energy use and the state of my over 2 year old 220AH Mercury Flooded acid Battery. Last year I derated the batteries to 200AH on my battery monitor to take into account sellers inaccuracy and usage degradation. pulled close to 100AH from the batteries and the idle load voltage was 24.7. Multimeter confirmed the voltage of the individual batteries at 12.35 vs 12.39 a difference of 0.4.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:42pm On Mar 05, 2018
UPDATED PRICES ON SUNSHINE SOLAR PANELS LOADING...

081-350-31951
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mukhcech(m): 1:38pm On Mar 05, 2018
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mukhcech(m): 1:40pm On Mar 05, 2018
Oshomo12:

If you use ur battery to about 80% DoD, I will advice 200w panel 15amp charge controller and a new BMS(though u can still try the one that came with it). The battery should be back to full state of charge in about 3hrs(all other condition been equall).

Thank you very much for input. That rearrangement is what I haven't done before. I hope I won't end up ruining the Battery. I was hoping I could go direct without dismantling the battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mukhcech(m): 2:10pm On Mar 05, 2018
Saipro:

Well, those are LiFePo4 batteries. And they're wonderful in performance. Lightweight and pack a punch but do poorly with inductive loads. Had a few units. The inbuilt BMS works pretty well. Kinda special charging needs. CC CV means CC CV in this case. Being lithium, they can go boom! when stress charged. That particular brand also seems to live for years if you avoid full discharge/full charge cycles (it's quite happy with 95% charge with a weekly top off to 100%).

Now that we've addressed their needs, I see you have 3 batteries in the picture. Not sure how that works out (2 in use and one spare? One at a time? 3 in parallel?). Whatever the case, charging all three at once without going over the top ... a single 200W panel should suffice. A single 280W panel is the optimum. Give or take (and aiming for battery longevity, a single 250W panel is the middle ground. Or a PWM with current limiting capabilities (MorningStar and Xantrex come to mind). All these suggestions presume you're charging 3 batteries and charging them at once, assuming the same state of charge for them all (lithium batteries aren't fond of imbalance either)

Whatever you do, never feed more than 5A into any single battery. Fix charging voltage at 14.4V for fastest charging or 14.2V for an absurd battery life. Your choice.

Yes they are LiFePo4 batteries sir.

That was lots of information you got for me there. thank you.

I am only trying to get a minimal setup for a student(My wife) in school. I have a relatively normal Solar setup with Flooded battery in my home. Though I have always been charging the LiFePo4 batteries with Nepa light.

Because of Budget, kindly help me out of this situation/
Can the MorningStar and Xantrex be PWM type CC?
Can I still regulate the FIX charging Volt and Current if it is PWM?
And lastly Would a 120W solar panel be optimum for just 1 battery.

Thank you once again. I am grateful.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 4:46pm On Mar 05, 2018
Hi all
i have asked this question in another thread but i felt i should bring it up hear for a quicker response

Would you advice i buy a normal 3kva inverter and buy a charge controller separately or getting the hybrid inverter of the same spec?
PS the hybrid standalone inverter seems to be cheaper than the normal inverter + charge controller cost wise. Any reason why?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 5:37pm On Mar 05, 2018
You would be better off purchasing each component as a stand-alone unit.

Thank me next year.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 5:38pm On Mar 05, 2018
hancock:
Hi all
i have asked this question in another thread but i felt i should bring it up hear for a quicker response

Would you advice i buy a normal 3kva inverter and buy a charge controller separately or getting the hybrid inverter of the same spec?
PS the hybrid standalone inverter seems to be cheaper than the normal inverter + charge controller cost wise. Any reason why?

If you won't use load with high starting power the hybrid is okay based on the lower price. Self consumption of the hybrid will likely be low as well especially if it's transformerless.
Personally, I prefer standalone because the cost of replacement, if a subsystem is bad, is lower.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 5:39pm On Mar 05, 2018
hancock:
Hi all

DC bus is shared as well as the control electronics and enclosure But keep in mind that if a fault develops you loos the whole investment and reliability . In a seprate solution if the inverter/CC fails the remaining unit can keep the batteries charged.

That said the Hybrid unit allows you to do all kind of automation such as start generator / prioritize PV power etc not possible easily with discreet setup

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jarkbauer: 5:44pm On Mar 05, 2018
Hybrid solar Inverter is the way forward.

Just like Automatic washing machine with dryer.

Downside is repairs will be more expensive.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2018
Thanks
I read all your comments and I became more confused lol grin
Definitely I know there would be pros and cons for both types of inverters.
I would probably just have to make up my mind and go with either one of the two and damn the consequences
Thanks again

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jarkbauer: 6:09pm On Mar 05, 2018
hancock:
Thanks
I would probably just have to make up my mind and go with either one of the two and damn the consequences
Thanks again

what are you options.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 6:23pm On Mar 05, 2018
jarkbauer:

what are you options.
I’m eyeing the Mercury 3kva 24v hybrid solar inverter
I haven’t made up my mind yet on the brand to go with for the normal inverter
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:56pm On Mar 05, 2018
In general the charge controllers embedded in the low budget (think 300k and below) hybrid inverters are not as efficient and effective as dedicated charge controllers. You will usually get more juice from your PV panels with a quality dedicated charge controller.

If you are budget constrained then you can do a hybrid inverter for starters and later upgrade to a dedicated charge controller when you have more funds. This way you also get some redundancy in case any part of your system collapses

I see you mentioned Mercury? You may be better off with the Axpert (Zinox and Gennex) ecosystem of which you can also get plenty of free support on this forum.

If hard pressed post the stats of both Mercury and Axpert options you are considerind and the house will respond with advice and hands on experience.

hancock:
Thanks
Thanks again

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 7:02pm On Mar 05, 2018
hancock:

I’m eyeing the Mercury 3kva 24v hybrid solar inverter
I haven’t made up my mind yet on the brand to go with for the normal inverter

Don't compromise on hybrid. Beware of shortcut! It may end up being a longer route wink

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 7:29pm On Mar 05, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
In general the charge controllers embedded in the low budget (think 300k and below) hybrid inverters are not as efficient and effective as dedicated charge controllers. You will usually get more juice from your PV panels with a quality dedicated charge controller.

If you are budget constrained then you can do a hybrid inverter for starters and later upgrade to a dedicated charge controller when you have more funds. This way you also get some redundancy in case any part of your system collapses

I see you mentioned Mercury? You may be better off with the Axpert (Zinox and Gennex) ecosystem of which you can also get plenty of free support on this forum.

If hard pressed post the stats of both Mercury and Axpert options you are considerind and the house will respond with advice and hands on experience.

Thanks for this advice
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:11pm On Mar 05, 2018
hancock:
Hi all

Hello sorry for late reply on the inverter thread .. Makavele , Mank , Pranil etc already gave you solid points ... I won't totally go against hybrid systems but mind you, its not as rugged as standalone pure sinewave inverter specs . I have a client who had a 5kva 48v hybrid"name withheld" , it went into flames in less than 2 months ... I also got a call from an Abuja based client today about his newly purchased Ipower hybrid that just blew up and company is busy with normal long drama on warranty . They stated after this repair , if it blows up again within same warranty year , warranty won't cover repairs cheesy .. Please feel free to contact me on whatever type you settle for , as regards to discounted prices and 1 year warranty .. Cheer's!

081-350-31951

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 9:40pm On Mar 05, 2018
bigrovar:
victron bluesolar or fangpusun
Na fangpusun o. My wallet cannot carry Victron products yet.

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (1691) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: abbey, HeavenlyBang(m), Penuelseun(m), Deluxe8000(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.