Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (406) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2070429 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) ... (1697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:44pm On May 26, 2018
DMerciful:
I have dismantled this yohako controller, it's not mppt. I repeat it is not mppt.

I had someone who thought I was blabbing when I typed about same yohako few pages back. That's why most rarely type on forums but simply observe . He can as well come and defend all these am reading about same yohako again

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:03pm On May 26, 2018
LOADING.....STAY TUNED!!!

Landing soon:
-USA Trojan 12v 200a agm deep cycle battery
-Canadian solar panel "assembled in Thailand with Korean cell" 340w monocrystalline

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mrsdaniel: 7:11pm On May 26, 2018
durodee:

Had a nasty experience with someone on this forum recently on his dubious online prices. Well, business integrity seems not to matter to some people sha!
A word of advice to all forumites: In an anonymous forum like this, big business can come your way from the most innocuous members since you don't know who they are in real life and you don't know who is researching you!

Hello mind sharing what happened so we don't fall victims and likewise the bad eggs don't also affect the good trusted and steadfast suppliers we have in here pls?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zellfoxx: 7:23pm On May 26, 2018
durodee:

Had a nasty experience with someone on this forum recently on his dubious online prices. Well, business integrity seems not to matter to some people sha!
A word of advice to all forumites: In an anonymous forum like this, big business can come your way from the most innocuous members since you don't know who they are in real life and you don't know who is researching you!

Chaiii...it seems you just read my mind. A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 7:37pm On May 26, 2018
skyfall:

Where do your panels face (N/S/E/W)? Is it determined by the design of the filling station forecourt or you decide the design for them?
Gennex Engineers do that. The welder that does contraction of the canopy do so same time the Panels are laid. So it's always collaborative and specifications are giving

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 7:49pm On May 26, 2018
durodee:

Honestly I don't think it is nasty.
Nasty dealers should be exposed esle I see beginning of the end of this this noble thread. cool

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:51pm On May 26, 2018
GUYS.

since weekend afforded me some spare time I decided to post my efforts on solar water heating

Those frequenting the forum would have known my efforts to acquire a solar water heating system and the challenges I faced

I am happy to report that I am very happy with the final results after the first teething troubles

Due to large content, the file is PDF ( acrobat reader) and can be downloaded from

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UnUpyI6UxUekqTklURmjERpapvRYGcnD

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zellfoxx: 9:19pm On May 26, 2018
pranil:
GUYS.

since weekend afforded me some spare time I decided to post my efforts on solar water heating

Those frequenting the forum would have known my efforts to acquire a solar water heating system and the challenges I faced

I am happy to report that I am very happy with the final results after the first teething troubles

Due to large content, the file is PDF ( acrobat reader) and can be downloaded from

Request sent...please grant access.

Received. Many thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:30pm On May 26, 2018
pranil:
GUYS.

Good stuff Sir... Nice automation et synchronization ! Am indeed impressed smiley

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 9:56pm On May 26, 2018
kiekie1:

I had someone who thought I was blabbing when I typed about same yohako few pages back. That's why most rarely type on forums but simply observe . He can as well come and defend all these am reading about same yohako again

Bia, be kiaful ! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:32pm On May 26, 2018
makavele:

Bia, be kiaful ! grin grin grin

Motigbo ooo... Make I join "likers association of solar FTA" like your post jejely ! Happy weekend Sir grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 10:39pm On May 26, 2018
kiekie1:

Motigbo ooo... Make I join "likers association of solar FTA" like your post jejely ! Happy weekend Sir grin

grin grin grin

Happy weekend and happy may 29 in advance o; my broda

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 1:45am On May 27, 2018
Who has up to four used (not abused please) 12V 200AH AGM batteries for sale, all of the same manufacturer? I want to put together a 48V bank for experiments ...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:02am On May 27, 2018
So hv 1 unit of ha01 lying around..want to use it on a 4x12v batt 24v setup.problem is that the cables are too short as due to space constraints.the batts are not placed side by side.
So am wondering if there is any harm in splicing and adding extra cables to the legs to enable me hook them up to the bank successfully.

Hv sent a mail to the aliexpress seller.but unsure he wud understand due to language barrier
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:33am On May 27, 2018
Our children, the future, source of hope, and symbol of promise...possessing great POTENTIAL. Celebrate and Honour them today! Happy Childrens day,lets celebrate the spirit of childhood on this International Children's Day smiley smiley smiley.

Your reliable/trusted solution for alternate power source,solar and inverter renewable energy materials,prompt supplies, installations & maintenance.

Call us today:
Smartcell Global Services
081-350-31951

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 9:09am On May 27, 2018
pranil:
GUYS.

nice one pranil. Please where did you source the Simba solar water heater?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 10:07am On May 27, 2018
Namzy:

Thanks for reply i opted for 2kva with plans to add a refrigerator, 32 or 40 inch lcd or led tv and ps4 later with the solar. I read that tubular batteries are good for up to 8 years that's the main reason I opted for them. Because money is hard to come by.
PS it's really wonderful that you dropped the exact prices I've been seeing online. Thanks again for that

Only if you take good care of them extremely well, regularly equalise them, ensure you keep up with water toping, and most importantly of all, you do not discharge them below 25% of their capacity, then and only them will those batteries stand a chance to still be kicking after 5 - 6 years of use.

an inverter here are what I would lookout for.
* Good reviews: Try and get something that is well known proven and has good reviews from users
* Support: This is very important, even the highly priced premium inverters do breakdown. It is important you get something that has good local support, investigate on the company and how close their support (not sales office) centre is to you, inverters are very bulky and heavy and it is often best to convey the system directly to the support centre, explain the issue yourself to the technician and properly test that it has been fixed before you take it back. A company with good support is more likely to honour their warranty compared to a marketing company masquerading as an engineering company. Remember you are dealing directly with the company not the person who sold the inverter to you (this is the best route to avoid unnecessary delays and frustration.
* Get an inverter that works with your battery. You want to get a Tubular battery (which is a Flooded Acid Battery -FLA) those batteries require regular equalisation at least once a month. Not all inverters are capable of equalising so keep that in mind
* If you intend to power computer (not laptop) or network switches, make sure the inverter has what is known as ups mode. This allows the inverter to switch between mains and backup in less than 10 milliseconds, anything higher would not lead to a smooth transition when power fails.
* of cause charge capacity is important as you have already figured out.
Some inverters have the ability to charge your batteries when they are off this can come in handy say when you are out of the house and would prefer to turn off your inverter to save battery discharge.

* Another important factor to consider is the efficiency of the inverter, some inverters are notoriously inefficient in converting DC to AC. some use as much as 100w just sitting idle (Thats about 4A at 24v) which means if you have a 200AH battery bank. Turning on the inverter for 10 hours would use 40ah from your battery bank (about 20% of your bank just to power the inverter)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 10:53am On May 27, 2018
bigrovar:

Only if you take good care of them extremely well, regularly equalise them, ensure you keep up with water toping, and most importantly of all, you do not discharge them below 25% of their capacity, then and only them will those batteries stand a chance to still be kicking after 5 - 6 years of use.

an inverter here are what I would lookout for.
* Good reviews: Try and get something that is well known proven and has good reviews from users
* Support: This is very important, even the highly priced premium inverters do breakdown. It is important you get something that has good local support, investigate on the company and how close their support (not sales office) centre is to you, inverters are very bulky and heavy and it is often best to convey the system directly to the support centre, explain the issue yourself to the technician and properly test that it has been fixed before you take it back. A company with good support is more likely to honour their warranty compared to a marketing company masquerading as an engineering company. Remember you are dealing directly with the company not the person who sold the inverter to you (this is the best route to avoid unnecessary delays and frustration.
* Get an inverter that works with your battery. You want to get a Tubular battery (which is a Flooded Acid Battery -FLA) those batteries require regular equalisation at least once a month. Not all inverters are capable of equalising so keep that in mind
* If you intend to power computer (not laptop) or network switches, make sure the inverter has what is known as ups mode. This allows the inverter to switch between mains and backup in less than 10 milliseconds, anything higher would not lead to a smooth transition when power fails.
* of cause charge capacity is important as you have already figured out.
Some inverters have the ability to charge your batteries when they are off this can come in handy say when you are out of the house and would prefer to turn off your inverter to save battery discharge.

* Another important factor to consider is the efficiency of the inverter, some inverters are notoriously inefficient in converting DC to AC. some use as much as 100w just sitting idle (Thats about 4A at 24v) which means if you have a 200AH battery bank. Turning on the inverter for 10 hours would use 40ah from your battery bank (about 20% of your bank just to power the inverter)

Thanks. I stay in Nnewi Anambra state and I don't know any office supplying and keeping after sales service. Hence I might need to purchase it online. Sometimes some of the specs you mentioned are not readily available to see as some information are hardly gotten online. Hence my explicit need to have brands suggested for me. I'm looking at 2kva icell power and looking to purchase it online before months end. Would appreciate any other better alternatives within my budget
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 11:12am On May 27, 2018
sinistrian:
Who has up to four used (not abused please) 12V 200AH AGM batteries for sale, all of the same manufacturer? I want to put together a 48V bank for experiments ...

I might have one for sale by end of JULY - Quanta AGM 200AH x 4 - used in the office for last two years which has GEN so gets used top 5 % only during GEN changeover. and probably 10-20 % over the weekend to run security cameras, servers etc. only cloudy days
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by saint2ace(m): 11:25am On May 27, 2018
pranil:

I might have one for sale by end of JULY - Quanta AGM 200AH x 4 - used in the office for last two years which has GEN so gets used top 5 % only during GEN changeover. and probably 10-20 % over the weekend to run security cameras, servers etc. only cloudy days

I might be interested too if the price is right..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 11:26am On May 27, 2018
DUNKA:
nice one pranil. Please where did you source the Simba solar water heater?

KONGA - and interestingly the reason I started playing with it ( and it was cheaper) was that the seller did not provide a feeder tank with the unit and after calling up claimed that they supply and install the system without the tank in many places!

I could only imagine how many unhappy homeowners are out there where the systems have started leaking when the inlet pressure changes

I see on Konga GHGSOLAr is selling similar one for 180K ( including feeder tank - altleast as per pictures) My system has 15 tubes but longer the GHG seems to be higher thermal output with 24 tubes

https:///ht-non-pressurized-solar-water-heater-200l-3926437

Other accessories I used

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Non-pressure-thermosiphon-solar-water-heatervcontroller-SR500-110-220V-with-4class-water-level-display/32616786802.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Brass-Thermostatic-Mixing-Valve-G1-2-Adjust-the-Mixing-Water-Temperature-DN15-thermostatic-valve/2037378844.html

- Heating element longer the better - also check if one is supplied already with your heater - many companies offer one preinstalled - if not what is the size of the opening or if you have to make one

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/220v-1500w-1-1-4-Thread-Immersion-Water-Heater-Element-Screw-Type-heater-with-Thermowell/1862595_32824906264.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KATSU®-Automatic-Priming-Water-Booster/dp/B01NATU1R9

the pump is from 130 Watt all the way upto 600 Watt. I chose smaller so I can run on the inverter - so not only heating but pumping is also on SOLAR smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 11:30am On May 27, 2018
saint2ace:

I might be interested too if the price is right..

Once they are ready I am happy to offer an open bidding right here but the buyer has to take them from Abuja or take the shipping costs

I have also offered them as first priority to my office staff so they can split it and run a small 1 KVA sukam solar hybrid
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 12:37pm On May 27, 2018
This is outstanding hack Pranil! One carton of Gulder for you baba...
1. Your cold water booster pump is also set at 2 bar(about 30 psi)? Is it not too low for a duplex?
2. What were your "teething troubles" setting this up?
3. Given the chance to redo this, what/where will you change/optimise?

pranil:
GUYS.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 2:03pm On May 27, 2018
DMerciful:
I have dismantled this yohako controller, it's not mppt. I repeat it is not mppt.
Even Canadian this, Canadian that, some of these panels are fake and not original. It's packaging and cloned.

Caveat emptor

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 3:40pm On May 27, 2018
pranil:
GUYS.

Those frequenting the forum would have known my efforts to acquire a solar water heating system and the challenges I faced I am happy to report that I am very happy with the final results after the first teething troubles Due to large content, the file is PDF ( acrobat reader) and can be downloaded from https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UnUpyI6UxUekqTklURmjERpapvRYGcnD

@Pranil

Good one. I am learning a lot from this already. This is what the forum is all about. Will give it a try at the right time.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 4:36pm On May 27, 2018
shaking tables grin
davodyguy:

Even Canadian this, Canadian that, some of these panels are fake and not original. It's packaging and cloned.

Caveat emptor

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 5:47pm On May 27, 2018
DMerciful:
shaking tables grin
Na bench or stool

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 7:04pm On May 27, 2018
but how can someone load over 400w on 2pcs of 200ah Chinese battery and expect to get 2 years from it?

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by duwdu: 7:58pm On May 27, 2018
pranil:

Should sinistran give up the right of first refusal, I too will be keen to acquire those or something similar, pranil. Thanks.

Edit: I've seen your additional response on the opportunity; so, fingers crossed.

P34c3
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 2:23am On May 28, 2018
Barezzi:
This is outstanding hack Pranil! One carton of Gulder for you baba...
1. Your cold water booster pump is also set at 2 bar(about 30 psi)? Is it not too low for a duplex?
2. What were your "teething troubles" setting this up?
3. Given the chance to redo this, what/where will you change/optimise?

thanks, I prefer Goldberg though smiley

The house has only ground floor. For the cold water, I have a Grundfos scala (https://www.grundfos.com/products/find-product/scala2.html) which will maintain 2 bar for one tap or 8 taps ( variable speed)
since hot water is rarely used in two taps at once and gets mixed with the thermostatic valve the 2 bar is more than enough

Teething troubles plenty
first of all the system had no installation manual so google was my friend to see how to install the tubes then no feeder tank so tried to source locally. when that could not be found tried a pressure reducer and direct thermostatic valve with Siphone suction ( grand fail by the way)
then tried various forums and websites till stumbled upon SR500 . The first SR unit came with wrong inlet valve causing a partial leak. turns out they have two different pressure sets 0-0.1 PA and 0.1 to 8 PA I needed the high-pressure one as it closes only with correct water pressure

I would say from installation to final working was 3 months or more ( some of the time due to aliexpress and amazon shipping )

without the correct booster sizing and thermostatic valve it was difficult to get correct pressure if you selected too hot the cold water booster will cutout if too cold the hot water will cutout

3. The thing I will change is to get the plumbers to properly insulate the pipes. As can been seen from photos the plumber while joining the Cu pipes cutout the insulation in many places. Now I am on the lookout for good thermal insulation tape - I could only find glass wool in Abuja
Also I would suggest to check the heater if it is prefitted . It took measuring with vernier and lots of googling to get the correct thread size and depth -

for future reference, all Chinese models have 1/2 inch pipes for inlet and outlet and the heater is 1/1/2 inch opening

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:02am On May 28, 2018
earthrealm:
So hv 1 unit of ha01 lying around..want to use it on a 4x12v batt 24v setup.problem is that the cables are too short as due to space constraints.the batts are not placed side by side.
So am wondering if there is any harm in splicing and adding extra cables to the legs to enable me hook them up to the bank successfully.

Hv sent a mail to the aliexpress seller.but unsure he wud understand due to language barrier

Still waiting for the house thoughts on this.s3ller is yet to respond.
Guess i will go ahead and do it anyway...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:29am On May 28, 2018
No harm done Sir.

HAO1 is rated to carry 5 amps at 12v - not a lot of power - you can splice on similar gauge or higher rated cable with no trouble. You may want to cut off the stock wires somewhere in the middle then securely splice (twist tight or use cable join and then insulate with shrink wrap or electricians' tape). This way you retain the already crimped M8 terminals that came with the HA01.

If you have your own good quality crimper you can dispense with the stock terminals and crimp your own.

Be sure to extend by only the minimum length you actually need - too long runs wth such thin cable may cause voltage drop and inaccurate balancing as well as other significant losses.

earthrealm:

Still waiting for the house thoughts on this.s3ller is yet to respond.
Guess i will go ahead and do it anyway...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) ... (1697) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Emmypam(m), kristien4(m), Drgreatone and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.