Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (553) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2043662 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 9:26am On Jul 17, 2019
Worthy to Read...

Solar power system that works at night a renewable energy game-changer.

An innovative thermal battery being developed by Curtin University researchers will be key to a solar power system capable of producing electricity overnight, rivalling fossil fuels as a viable source of power for commercial and heavy industries around the world, including mining operations.

Curtin is collaborating with international renewable energy companies United Sun Systems and ITP Thermal on the potentially game-changing project, which is being led by Professor Craig Buckley from Curtin’s School of Electrical Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences.

Professor Craig Buckley said the thermal battery was part of the Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) system being developed by United Sun Systems, which requires a battery to store and release energy to enable non-stop solar power generation.

“Storage has long been a stumbling point for renewable energy but our prototype thermal battery is able to store and, as required, release solar energy without reliance on sunlight at all times,” Professor Buckley said.

“The battery uses a high-temperature metal hydride or metal carbonate as the heat storage medium and a low temperature gas storage vessel for storing the hydrogen or carbon dioxide.

“At night, and in times of cloud cover, hydrogen or carbon dioxide is released from the gas storage vessel and absorbed by the higher temperature metal to form a metal hydride/metal carbonate, which produces heat used to generate electricity.”

Curtin University Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research Professor Chris Moran said the project aimed to develop a solar power system that produced electricity 24 hours a day, seven days a week and was commercially viable for industry.

“As with the lithium battery systems that Curtin is also developing, the deployment of a cost-effective energy storage system using thermal batteries will revolutionise the landscape of renewable energy production world-wide by allowing renewables to truly compete with fossil fuels,” Professor Moran said.

“While a lithium battery stores electrical energy that can be used to provide electricity when the sun is not shining, this thermal battery stores heat from concentrated solar thermal, which can be used when the sun is not shining to run a turbine to produce electricity.”

The research aims to develop new technology to integrate thermochemical energy storage via a thermal battery into a dish-Stirling system.

A dish-Stirling system can provide up to 46 kW of power and is ideal for powering remote energy intensive industries such as mine sites due to it providing power on demand and as required. Several dishes can be deployed depending on the power requirements of the site.

The research project ‘Thermal Battery Development for Concentrated Solar Power Systems’ was awarded $1 million by the Federal Government through the Global Innovation Linkages Program.

Source: https://news.curtin.edu.au/media-releases/solar-power-system-that-works-at-night-a-renewable-energy-game-changer/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Reprobate: 10:16am On Jul 17, 2019
olaolu11:
I use luminous 900vac inverter with 100ah battery. I recently bought a 200ah mercury battery. To my surprise unless I switch off all lights, TV etc the battery will not charge. Why is this?

Also, the inverter fan is no longer working. Why?
My panels(3×150watts parrallel connection) are fluctuating between 0.1 and 4.5 as reported by the controller. I understand that's due to cable length and size but I can't afford 6mm or 10mm cable now. If I place the new 200ah battery on it (solar) , will it have any adverse effect? I am using it to charge the old 100ah battery but it lasts only about 1 hour now. Please advise. Thanks

your inverter likely has a problem.
its strange you have money to buy 200ah batt, and you cant afford 6mm or 10mm cable, with the 4.5a you are getting, using it to charge the 200ah battery, will kill the battery under 6months, because of sulphation.
nothing wrong with running solar on a budget, but if you must do so, you need to back up ur lack of funds with adequate knowledge, if not, you stand to loose everything.
would advice you to get a pro here, who may be willing to reviw your system with you and possibly visit your location, to enable you harness the max from your setup

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mrsdaniel: 12:36pm On Jul 17, 2019
Hello
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:52pm On Jul 17, 2019
Trippledots:

@impatient... Lol i knw that feeling. Very sorry for the loss of equipment.

@battery... I never knew lithium had button cells oh. Thanks for the tip on removing them. Where can i get a replacement for it? Or would a normal button cell of diff chemistry work? Maybe its supposed to charge the lithium cells hence I'm asking abt the diff chemistry swap

The lithium cells are supposed to be recharged as you use the device with the mains. I think the only place you can get replacement will be online stores like AliExpress.

The wattmeter I use was not shipped with a battery as I am expected to buy a button cell into the battery compartment. I believe it probably requires a non-rechargeable type. But since I haven't even the luxury of time to start looking for the right battery size, I have been using it as it is. I think you can also use yours in that manner.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:41pm On Jul 17, 2019
mrsdaniel:
Hello
mrs daniel. aka kiekie1grin cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 11:44pm On Jul 17, 2019
mrsdaniel:
Hello
Any news?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 7:18am On Jul 18, 2019
efuro:

Any news?

Something great is coming I trust. Wait for it cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 7:21am On Jul 18, 2019
Call us for your solar power installation and supplies.

Call 08117398294
Chat https:///2348117398294
Email - info@mazinegroup.com

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by totalgreen01: 9:35am On Jul 18, 2019
just tested the mppsolar PIP5048MK
very cool device..

ZERO TRANSFER TIME is really ZERO.. no delay at all

idle time as tested is approx 65w

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by totalgreen01: 9:38am On Jul 18, 2019
mk

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:07am On Jul 18, 2019
This is a 4-5kw unit yes? I am interested to see how the unit performs when switching say a 3.5kw load from mains to inverter battery.

The question is whether or not one will experience lagless transfer and no failure when switching a large load on a regular basis?

totalgreen01:
just tested the mppsolar PIP5048MK
very cool device..

ZERO TRANSFER TIME is really ZERO.. no delay at all

idle time as tested is approx 65w

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 10:56am On Jul 18, 2019
Good day House.

Please I need the screen for this inverter. Probably you have a dead inverter who can be a SCREEN DONOR!

Kindly get in touch with me.

Zero 9 zero 999 88 77 zero

ElektroPhaim Solar!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 11:08am On Jul 18, 2019
ceaser:

The lithium cells are supposed to be recharged as you use the device with the mains. I think the only place you can get replacement will be online stores like AliExpress.

The wattmeter I use was not shipped with a battery as I am expected to buy a button cell into the battery compartment. I believe it probably requires a non-rechargeable type. But since I haven't even the luxury of time to start looking for the right battery size, I have been using it as it is. I think you can also use yours in that manner.

mine doesnt come on again. i tire for the thing matter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by terrymason(m): 11:26am On Jul 18, 2019
What does 6kw/7.5kva means?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:30am On Jul 18, 2019
7.5Kva at a power factor of 0.8 is thesame thing as 7.5Kva × 0.8 = 6Kw.

7.5Kva is thesame thing as 6Kw given a power factor of 0.8

terrymason:

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by terrymason(m): 11:43am On Jul 18, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
7.5Kva at a power factor of 0.8 is thesame thing as 7.5Kva × 0.8 = 6Kw.

7.5Kva is thesame thing as 6Kw given a power factor of 0.8

thanks
Can you determine the volt of the inverter with that?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Reprobate: 1:18pm On Jul 18, 2019
terrymason:
thanks
Can you determine the volt of the inverter with that?

NOPE, its usually written on the body of the inverter, 48v is the common dc input voltage for any inverter of that rating, though 96v and 120v models still exist

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 2:56pm On Jul 18, 2019
Pharyn:
Good day House.

Please I need the screen for this inverter. Probably you have a dead inverter who can be a SCREEN DONOR!

Kindly get in touch with me.

Zero 9 zero 999 88 77 zero

ElektroPhaim Solar!

Lol @ screen donor. Like organ donor.

I think you can easily get this stuff on any of those online Chinese websites at cheapo prices.

I remember weeks ago that I needed to help an family friend repair his kids tablet. Had been charged 6k for repairs which i almost paid. All these very rare tabs with strange names. For a whole month dealers going to Lag could not find a matching screen and I had to retrieve it. So i had a nudge to open it up, copy out the code numbers on the flex cable and entered it in the search box on one of these websites and viola! I got it down to Nigeria for N1,860 naira, fixed it myself and it's been working fine ever since.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 2:59pm On Jul 18, 2019
Trippledots:

mine doesnt come on again. i tire for the thing matter.

You mean the wattmeter doesn't come on again, even when plugged into the mains?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:01pm On Jul 18, 2019
terrymason:

7.5kva x 1000 x 0.8 = 6kw

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by totalgreen01: 3:57pm On Jul 18, 2019
hi,
ZERO IS ZERO O! tested

NiyiOmoIyunade:
This is a 4-5kw unit yes? I am interested to see how the unit performs when switching say a 3.5kw load from mains to inverter battery.

The question is whether or not one will experience lagless transfer and no failure when switching a large load on a regular basis?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by totalgreen01: 3:59pm On Jul 18, 2019
i guess this is how inline ups works so its nothing new i think

totalgreen01:
hi,
ZERO IS ZERO O! tested

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:43pm On Jul 18, 2019
totalgreen01:
hi,
ZERO IS ZERO O! tested

Yeah. It's zero. My dream inverter. Major appeal is that between mains input voltage of between 100 and 270v you get same output of 220v; that is if you dont use bypass mode. No need for voltage regulator.

However, I read comments that it consumes more than 100w when on mains due to the AC-DC-AC conversion (double conversion loss). Not really a problem as our electricity tarrif is low.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lateefykn84(m): 11:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
please advice me on this oooo.. New 100ah battery or used 200ah with the same price
and where can I get original battery from Lagos
thanks....
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 1:06am On Jul 19, 2019
Reprobate:

your inverter likely has a problem.
its strange you have money to buy 200ah batt, and you cant afford 6mm or 10mm cable, with the 4.5a you are getting, using it to charge the 200ah battery, will kill the battery under 6months, because of sulphation.
nothing wrong with running solar on a budget, but if you must do so, you need to back up ur lack of funds with adequate knowledge, if not, you stand to loose everything.
would advice you to get a pro here, who may be willing to reviw your system with you and possibly visit your location, to enable you harness the max from your setup

@ reprobate
Thanks for your response. I read but never got info on wires on time. I had the wires at home and since I saw it used somewhere I just went for it. I have since realised I must change wire but because I am on budget and have planned on the battery for almost a year, I just went for it. I charge it with gen and the old one with solar for now while I save towards the cable. saw the wires being used somewhere and thought it will also work for me. I have not started charging the new battery with solar, only the old 100ah I used before. I intend buying16mm because of future expansion and will surely visit Alaba or source online. I need almost 100 feet and that is over 100K. Can you recommend a trustworthy person at Alaba I can contact for it. There are too many scammers out there. Thanks

PS: Would you be willing to do a review of the setup for me? If yes please contact on abiodunola@ymail.com so we can exchange numbers and share via whatsApp. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Reprobate: 9:22am On Jul 19, 2019
olaolu11:

@ reprobate
Thanks for your response. I read but never got info on wires on time. I had the wires at home and since I saw it used somewhere I just went for it. I have since realised I must change wire but because I am on budget and have planned on the battery for almost a year, I just went for it. I charge it with gen and the old one with solar for now while I save towards the cable. saw the wires being used somewhere and thought it will also work for me. I have not started charging the new battery with solar, only the old 100ah I used before. I intend buying16mm because of future expansion and will surely visit Alaba or source online. I need almost 100 feet and that is over 100K. Can you recommend a trustworthy person at Alaba I can contact for it. There are too many scammers out there. Thanks

PS: Would you be willing to do a review of the setup for me? If yes please contact on abiodunola@ymail.com so we can exchange numbers and share via whatsApp. Thanks

100FT, that is far, are u sure you cant change your positioning to shorten the distance, I hvnt ever seen a dual core 16mm, single core is about 800naira per meter , so you are looking at spending about 60k for 2 lengths of 100ft,
am not in lagos, so cant review your setup for you.

even using 4.5amps to charge a 100ah battery is not good, long term.
I recall kiekie advertising 16mm dual core, you may consider reaching out to him, he can also help qaqc your system, ie if he is not driving, or too busy grin

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:52pm On Jul 19, 2019
Reprobate:

100FT, that is far, are u sure you cant change your positioning to shorten the distance, I hvnt ever seen a dual core 16mm, single core is about 800naira per meter , so you are looking at spending about 60k for 2 lengths of 100ft,

I recall kiekie advertising 16mm dual core, you may consider reaching out to him, he can also help qaqc your system, ie if he is not driving, or too busy grin

Haha am free for now Bro smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2019
UPDATED SOLAR MATERIALS PRICELIST..

https://drive.wps.com/d/APNV3F3RmPgioInCs46dFA

Smartcell global services
081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 7:11pm On Jul 19, 2019
ceaser:

You mean the wattmeter doesn't come on again, even when plugged into the mains?

Yup..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 3:47am On Jul 20, 2019
Reprobate:

The array is stand alone. Distance is 12 feet from panel to wall, 20 feet ground floor to ceiling and 36 feet within ceiling to drop 7 feet to controller. All approximate calculations about 78 feet. I live in top flat of a 1-storey rental apartment so I am not permitted to punch landlords roof.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 4:49am On Jul 20, 2019
House please advise on best way to go. I presently have 4*150watts solar panels(alaba), 40a and 60a pwn controller(ali express), 12volt 900vac luminous inverter(jumia), 4+ yrs old 100ah Leoch battery and 3week old 200ah mercury battery(alaba). My load is 1 LG flat screen TV(dont know the wattage but 1.1amps), fridge 1200watts, but not very sure, freezer(1250watts, not too sure),dstv, startimes and gotv decoder alternately used(5amps I think) , 8*5watts bulbs, blender(300watts), washing machine (320watts). TV is 12 hours, fridge and freezer 24 hours, others as the need arises and fan only dry season or when there is heat. I rewired the household to isolate heavy users from the inverter; only fans, TV and lights are on inverter. Others are powered by public grid or generator. I may likely retain this until I have upgraded to capacity to carry all which is when I move to my own apartment. We hardly have public supply in my area and it is intermittent which you can't even predict.

My array is stand alone. Distance is 12 feet from panel to wall, 20 feet ground floor to ceiling and 36 feet within ceiling to drop 7 feet to controller. All (approximate calculations) about 78 feet. I live in top flat of a 1-storey rental apartment so I am not permitted to punch landlords roof. And no chance to shift from present array location due to space constraint. The cable I use presently is join-join 1.5mm pumping machine DC cable which I connected to my old (4+years)100ah battery that gives me about 1½ hours daily. I power the battery with her as I don't want to connect the solar to the new 200ah battery until I get a good cable. The present array fluctuates between 0.2 and 4.5 read from charge conctroler. Only the 40amp controller is in use. The other is in storage.

Areas I need assistance is,
1. Do I buy new inverter of 2.4, or 3.5kva as the present inverter seems too small to charge the battery(will soon buy another 200h battery)
2. What is my cable size, 6, 10 or 16mm(consider future upgrade)
3. What accessories do I still need to get?
Thanks

PS pictures will come later

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 5:04am On Jul 20, 2019
kiekie1:

Haha am free for now Bro smiley

Will you help. We can exchange pic and info by whatsapp and/or mail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.