Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,040 members, 7,818,085 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (550) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2063595 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) ... (1694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 11:47pm On Jul 11, 2019
The Brown carton Quanta has the size of a conventional 12V/200Ah battery....

The White carton Quanta is slimmer and longer... it wouldn't fit into a rack for a conventional battery (or that of the brown carton Quanta)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 1:29am On Jul 12, 2019
mcTrinity:
The Brown carton Quanta has the size of a conventional 12V/200Ah battery....

The White carton Quanta is slimmer and longer... it wouldn't fit into a rack for a conventional battery (or that of the brown carton Quanta)
which one is the genuine battery?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:31am On Jul 12, 2019
ceaser:

Okay.
Would those 2kva series also be able to power a 1hp inverter AC, alone I mean?

Now there is this thing I am a little confused about. Is the ratings labelled on these inverters (kva) the continuous power rating or the surge rating? The reason for seeking clarification is that I notice some products on offer online give a labelled rating to their device which eventually turns out to be the surge ratings and this makes some buyers to complain in their reviews.

Is the standard expected rating on any inverter label the continuous power or the surge power?

Thanks.

Guys Abeg na. I await answers. Haba!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:38am On Jul 12, 2019
I have never seen or used the brown carton Quanta - just pictures here on NL.

The batteries from the hitherto main importer come in the white carton - again the batteries are genuine not because of the color of carton or any numbers or codes written on them but rather because they come straight from the original manufacturer plant. This is the test of genuineness - an unbroken chain verified from manufacturer to your source of purchase.

For this reason I never buy from any reseller even in times of scarcity but rather go straight to the source.

DUNKA:
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:50am On Jul 12, 2019
It depends on your specific inverter.

What is quoted on label sticker should be the rated continuous running power as the main highlight then reference the surge capacity if it is noteworthy.

The high end inverters like Victron or SMA or Magnum e.t.c you can typically run them at near 100% of their rated capacity with no issues - *this is subject to standard temperature derating of the inverter load*

The asian origin inverters are a mixed bag - you generally want to stay within 70-80% of rated capacity for indian brands like Su-Kam, Luminous e.t.c especially with surge loads and all - these generally seem to have zero to low surge capacity - they are designed more like UPS.

For chinese brands like MustPower, these have up to 3x surge handling capacity but for continuous running you still want to stay within 70-80% of capacity. These mustpower types have robust transformers and FETs, the failure mode is commonly the control circuitry and associated components.

For all those other chinco el cheapo inverters especially the transformerless types, you generally want to stay within 50-60% max (no surge loads at all) if one hopes to use them for a long time without breaking them.

ceaser:

Guys Abeg na. I await answers. Haba!

ceaser:

Okay.
Would those 2kva series also be able to power a 1hp inverter AC, alone I mean?

Now there is this thing I am a little confused about. Is the ratings labelled on these inverters (kva) the continuous power rating or the surge rating? The reason for seeking clarification is that I notice some products on offer online give a labelled rating to their device which eventually turns out to be the surge ratings and this makes some buyers to complain in their reviews.

Is the standard expected rating on any inverter label the continuous power or the surge power?

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:56am On Jul 12, 2019
Good morning house,
Updated pricelist loading...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 7:59am On Jul 12, 2019
DUNKA:

bros, honestly speaking i cant really tell... I've only installed the brown carton version three times and the white carton version countless times..

apart from the dimension difference I stated earlier, both actually have same performance. STRICTLY MY PERSONAL VIEW

a year ago, a major supplier told me both are from same manufacturer (Amara Raja).

something struck my mind... Mopower inverters and Sukam inverters looks exactly same in every ramification. if you open a Mopower inverter, the major components has Sukam label on them. But it still bears Mopower on the body... this, to an extent, proves that Sukam and Mopower are manufactured by same company but for different trading companies.

Now the question I've asked myself is if someone actually wants to fake the Quanta battery, why not still maintain the white carton.? why make theirs brown and raise suspicion? what does it take to maintain same dimension? when they started faking Luminous battery (the yellow version), they faked everything including the carton.... and also with Ritar e.t.c

The real manufacturers of Quanta Batteries are Amara Raja, and I'm yet to see them deny manufacturing both versions.

I get both versions from same supplier. in as much as there's about 10k difference between them (115k/113k for brown and 125k/123k for white @mini and bulk purchase) doesn't make one fake and the other genuine.
There is that possibility that both are actually manufactured by Amara Raja; I still sit to be corrected (lol)... afterall, peak milk now have two versions: the one everyone knows and the one that has back that is kinda blue and they say its low fat... hehehe

Summary: the white Carton Quanta is the version almost everyone is familiar with. can't tell if the brown carton version is fake or not; or whether both are from same manufacturer but for different trading coys

both have EXACT performance (PERSONAL REVIEW). also they have same study and excellent built with same very thick washers ....... except their dimension, which you can really miss; unless you're the type that really pay attention to details

Cheers

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:34am On Jul 12, 2019
DUNKA:

Both can be genuine,there was another company that imported straight from India to resell way back, they used brown carton. The main distributor found out and stopped them from buying to resell. That was way back but as for now the main distributor uses white carton( the fake white carton is still plenty at alaba). all you need is the right source or you order from India like niyi grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:39am On Jul 12, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I have never seen or used the brown carton Quanta - just pictures here on NL.

The batteries from the hitherto main importer come in the white carton - again the batteries are genuine not because of the color of carton or any numbers or codes written on them but rather because they come straight from the original manufacturer plant. This is the test of genuineness - an unbroken chain verified from manufacturer to your source of purchase.

For this reason I never buy from any reseller even in times of scarcity but rather go straight to the source.

This clearly shows you have not been to the market, i mean the streets, so you don't know what is going on. Take the code seriously, just an honest advice,

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:40am On Jul 12, 2019
mcTrinity:

bros, honestly speaking i cant really tell... I've only installed the brown carton version three times and the white carton version countless times..

apart from the dimension difference I stated earlier, both actually have same performance. STRICTLY MY PERSONAL VIEW

a year ago, a major supplier told me both are from same manufacturer (Amara Raja).

something struck my mind... Mopower inverters and Sukam inverters looks exactly same in every ramification. if you open a Mopower inverter, the major components has Sukam label on them. But it still bears Mopower on the body... this, to an extent, proves that Sukam and Mopower are manufactured by same company but for different trading companies.

Now the question I've asked myself is if someone actually wants to fake the Quanta battery, why not still maintain the white carton.? why make theirs brown and raise suspicion? what does it take to maintain same dimension? when they started faking Luminous battery (the yellow version), they faked everything including the carton.... and also with Ritar e.t.c

The real manufacturers of Quanta Batteries are Amara Raja, and I'm yet to see them deny manufacturing both versions.

I get both versions from same supplier. in as much as there's about 10k difference between them (115k/113k for brown and 125k/123k for white @mini and bulk purchase) doesn't make one fake and the other genuine.
There is that possibility that both are actually manufactured by Amara Raja; I still sit to be corrected (lol)... afterall, peak milk now have two versions: the one everyone knows and the one that has back that is kinda blue and they say its low fat... hehehe

Summary: the white Carton Quanta is the version almost everyone is familiar with. can't tell if the brown carton version is fake or not; or whether both are from same manufacturer but for different trading coys

both have EXACT performance (PERSONAL REVIEW). also they have same study and excellent built with same very thick washers ....... except their dimension, which you can really miss; unless you're the type that really pay attention to details

Cheers

Good review
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 8:43am On Jul 12, 2019
dragnet:

The icell is transformer based right? what's the idle consumption and does it have battery voltage selectors ?

Yes it is. Idle consumption is ~ 45w. The voltage selection is the Low voltage disconnect of 10.5 or 11 v(*2 for 24v).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:44am On Jul 12, 2019
It is best if we all stay civil and refrain from anything that could be construed a personal attack.

When I look at the balance of opinions we are all agreed that there is one manufacturer in India and one primary/popular importer here in Nigeria, there have been other sources/sellers of uncertain provenance and now one new entrant with organised presence who appears to also be importing in bulk direct from the Indian manufacturer

To clear any doubts - for now I buy strictly from the known naija source but keep a keen eye out for new opportunities and new players. Direct importation is something I may do someday.

zeestone99:

Both can be genuine,there was another company that imported straight from India to resell way back, they used brown carton....
all you need is the right source or you order from India like niyi grin

zeestone99:

This clearly shows you have not been to the market, i mean the streets, so you don't know what is going on. Take the code seriously, just an honest advice,

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 12:00pm On Jul 12, 2019
Please, how good is GBM battery?
It is very cheap, is that a red flag?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 12:13pm On Jul 12, 2019
please, anybody have idea what this fault means..?

...hope its not a board issue

NB: I've carried out the soft reset and its still repeating

thanks

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:41pm On Jul 12, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:
It is best if we all stay civil and refrain from anything that could be construed a personal attack.

When I look at the balance of opinions we are all agreed that there is one manufacturer in India and one primary/popular importer here in Nigeria, there have been other sources/sellers of uncertain provenance and now one new entrant with organised presence who appears to also be importing in bulk direct from the Indian manufacturer

To clear any doubts - for now I buy strictly from the known naija source but keep a keen eye out for new opportunities and new players. Direct importation is something I may do someday.

I'm Sorry bro, didn't mean to offend you.your opinion is duly noted.. Gracias
By the way I'm sure you will send me some with juicy discounts right wink

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:44pm On Jul 12, 2019
eleojo23:
Please, how good is GBM battery?

It is very cheap, is that a red flag?

It's just an average battery, don't expect too much from it.

Call/whatapp 08117398294 for Mercury 95k, good battery for its price

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 1:00pm On Jul 12, 2019
From the user manual - see bolded at bottom for fix

Since you have tried a soft reset, also perform a hard reset per manual's instructions and see if that solves the issues.

If above fails then isolate the relay after disconnecting all power in and out of inverter and tap the relay gently then with medium force to release the stuck contacts.

If the gentle touch does not work, I have heard applying solid mechanical action (hard strike to the relay) of the Russian variety may 'unstick' the relay contacts

STUCK RELAY

Stuck Relay appears on the LCD.The FAULT (red) LED is on. The PWR (green), CHG (green), and INV(green) LEDs are off

5-29, Stuck Relay Fault [Stuck Relay]– This fault message displays when the inverter is"inverting", but the internal AC pass-thru relay that should be open while inverting, is closed

5.0 Operation Remedy: The AC pass-thru relay is most likely stuck. A relay usually sticks because of damage to the contacts from trying to handle currents greater than they are rated for. This is usually caused by not protecting the relay from handling high continuous currents, or by switching high current inductive loads. The internal relay contacts are rated to handle 30 amps AC continuously and should be protectedwith a breaker sized no larger than 30 amps. If you are connected to an AC source (grid or generator) and running large inductive loads (i.e., pumps, motors, etc.,) on the inverter output, turn those particular loads off prior to removing the AC input source.

This fault requires an inverter or power reset (Sections 6.2 & 6.3) to clear.

mcTrinity:
please, anybody have idea what this fault means..?

...hope its not a board issue

NB: I've carried out the soft reset and its still repeating

thanks

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 3:14pm On Jul 12, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Since you have tried a soft reset, also perform a hard reset per manual's instructions and see if that solves the issues.

If above fails then isolate the relay after disconnecting all power in and out of inverter and tap the relay gently then with medium force to release the stuck contacts.

If the gentle touch does not work, I have heard applying solid mechanical action (hard strike to the relay) of the Russian variety may 'unstick' the relay contacts

STUCK RELAY

Stuck Relay appears on the LCD.The FAULT (red) LED is on. The PWR (green), CHG (green), and INV(green) LEDs are off

5-29, Stuck Relay Fault [Stuck Relay]– This fault message displays when the inverter is"inverting", but the internal AC pass-thru relay that should be open while inverting, is closed

5.0 Operation Remedy: The AC pass-thru relay is most likely stuck. A relay usually sticks because of damage to the contacts from trying to handle currents greater than they are rated for. This is usually caused by not protecting the relay from handling high continuous currents, or by switching high current inductive loads. The internal relay contacts are rated to handle 30 amps AC continuously and should be protectedwith a breaker sized no larger than 30 amps. If you are connected to an AC source (grid or generator) and running large inductive loads (i.e., pumps, motors, etc.,) on the inverter output, turn those particular loads off prior to removing the AC input source.

OK boss... will try the hard reset. if it doesn't work, I'll dismount the inverter and open it up for the "hammerings"

thanks very much... much appreciation
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dragnet: 3:54pm On Jul 12, 2019
Oshomo12:

Yes it is. Idle consumption is ~ 45w. The voltage selection is the Low voltage disconnect of 10.5 or 11 v(*2 for 24v).

45w is something, by battery selection, I'm asking if it has different charging voltage settings for different types of batteries like AGM, Gel, flooded etc.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 4:29pm On Jul 12, 2019
dragnet:

45w is something, by battery selection, I'm asking if it has different charging voltage settings for different types of batteries like AGM, Gel, flooded etc.

Noo, just one, 28.8 absorption and 27.6 float.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 4:30pm On Jul 12, 2019
NiyiOmoIyunade:

STUCK RELAY

so the hard reset didnt work either...

located the relay... have hit it as far as I can, to avoid cracking the case.... still STUCK

Guess, it has really gone bad

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 5:05pm On Jul 12, 2019
So sorry for the damage.

The relay is supposed to be rated around 25-30A. Were you switching loads larger than the rating? Perhaps with grid available you were running the inverter at or above its rated capacity? This is a common failure mode when grid supply goes off while heavy loads are being powered and the relay attempts to switch a load larger than it was designed for - especially inductive loads.

As you have the inverter open can you confirm that the relay contacts are actually welded/arced shut?

I think it should be a fairly cheap replacement to source a chinco replacement relay - depending on the ratings, you can see it in Arena Oshodi for like 3k to 6k.

I am happy you were courageous enough to open up a premium inverter - means you are a savvy professional or an accomplished DIYer.

This just reinforces my conviction that anything even premium inverters can fail! As I recently acquired a Victron Quattro 8kva. I will be sure to baby the unit and not subject it to too large a load - I hate to open up any personal use equipment and will want to sell it off if I ever have to repair it.

mcTrinity:

so the hard reset didnt work either...

located the relay... have hit it as far as I can, to avoid cracking the case.... still STUCK

Guess, it has really gone bad

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 6:49pm On Jul 12, 2019
harizonal123:
Pls which battery product is the best that last long , doesn't discharge quick and pocket friendly. My budget is 90k for 12v200amp
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 6:51pm On Jul 12, 2019
earthrealm:

i have the hardcopy of the 850va luminous hybrid inverter, could scan and upload, if you think it would be of help

Pleaae do. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 7:04pm On Jul 12, 2019
Dam5reey:

Search online using the model number on carton or inverter itself

Ok, thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 7:07pm On Jul 12, 2019
[quote author=Dam5reey post=80150889]

Your Inverter battery wires are too tiny to carry much current for a long time that is over 10 minutes.. you may have to rewire using a bigger one.
Effects power loss, as well as possible damage..

Why not get an Inverter.. that are built to work continuously as well as effectively charge the battery[/quot

Does anyone know xontact if where u can get good quality 6mm or 10mm dc wire that is pocket-friendy?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 7:09pm On Jul 12, 2019
Does anyone know where i can get good quality 6mm or 10mm dc cable that is pocket-friendy?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by primefaith1: 7:11pm On Jul 12, 2019
olaolu11:

Does anyone know where i can get good quality 6mm or 10mm dc cable that is pocket-friendy?

6mm,500/yard.10mm,800/yard. All double core.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 7:28pm On Jul 12, 2019
primefaith1:

Where can i get it if known?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by primefaith1: 7:40pm On Jul 12, 2019
olaolu11:

Where can i get it if known?

Go to Alaba international market, "F line". Ask of where to buy "Ericsson wire". It is of 2 types, blue and black and ash and black. Make a choice between the two.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olaolu11(m): 7:42pm On Jul 12, 2019
To the gurus in the house, i just bought a mercuy 200ah battery(2 wks old). I charged it initially and used. My family drained it fully. Now when i tried charging it, the inverter( luminous pure sine wave 900vac) charging light keeps blinking off and on instead of being stable. At the end the battery did not charge. What could be the problem? Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:48pm On Jul 12, 2019
primefaith1:

Is this amoured cable with earth coating? Can you share picture and regards your location?

(1) (2) (3) ... (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) ... (1694) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Trippledots(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.