Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (574) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2055201 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (571) (572) (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) ... (1688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 1:20am On Aug 21, 2019
ojeysky:
Hello,

I want to get ceiling and standing fan with low consumption. I have found some DC fans at good price, my question is considering I will be connecting it to a AC power source, what AC/DC adapter can I use for it?

Thanks

JUO advertised DC fans, those ones come with a DC adapter. its strange that someone would sell you those fans without one.
if not, check the nameplate rating of the fan, the wattage & operating voltage should be printed somewhere. use those figures to get a suitable charger.
cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 1:21am On Aug 21, 2019
lexi28:

hi, simple question.

your laptop & phone have ports / sockets to which they are plugged into. they basically are DC devices.

the solar panels are an alternative to the DC charger that comes with the power bank, so if you do not have PHCN, the panels will charge your power bank. knowing the Powerbank you are using, you can only use one charging source at a time.

the inverter comes into use when you wish to watch TV and other gadgets that require nepa supply. if your laptop and phone is all you ever use your Powerbank for, you do not need the inverter.
your connection will be:
solar panels=> charge controller => Powerbank charge input. that is all.

hope it helps

Omg

God bless you.

I'm going to assemble this set up soon.

Please do I need any cables to connect the panel to the charge controller?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 2:28am On Aug 21, 2019
lexi28:

hi, simple question.

your laptop & phone have ports / sockets to which they are plugged into. they basically are DC devices.

the solar panels are an alternative to the DC charger that comes with the power bank, so if you do not have PHCN, the panels will charge your power bank. knowing the Powerbank you are using, you can only use one charging source at a time.

the inverter comes into use when you wish to watch TV and other gadgets that require nepa supply. if your laptop and phone is all you ever use your Powerbank for, you do not need the inverter.
your connection will be:
solar panels=> charge controller => Powerbank charge input. that is all.

hope it helps

Please I have a few questions too

1. Do you think the zinox pwerbank is really 105000mah . it charges my laptop for 12 hours after a single charge.

2. 105000 mah translates to 105ah right?

3. That means its twices bigger than a 40ah lifepo4 battery, right?

4. Would a 66000mah zinox Powerbank be better than two 20,000 mah rommoss power banks for phones? I've heard rommoss charges phones well about 4times for a 20000 mah power bank.

Do you think the 66000 mah zinox power bank is really up to that or its just for marketing sake?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 5:16am On Aug 21, 2019
generationz:

1. Do you think the zinox pwerbank is really 105000mah . it charges my laptop for 12 hours after a single charge.

4. Would a 66000mah zinox Powerbank be better than two 20,000 mah rommoss power banks for phones? I've heard rommoss charges phones well about 4times for a 20000 mah power bank.

Do you think the 66000 mah zinox power bank is really up to that or its just for marketing sake?
it is really 26ah 16v, it is a marketing gimmick, make no mistake, don't compare the zinox powerbank to the romoss powerbank as they operate at different voltage levels, the zinox at 16v(26ah) or 5v(105ah) and the romoss at 5v 20ah.
The 40ah lifepo4 battery is better if you can get it.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by primefaith1: 9:29am On Aug 21, 2019
Battery Balancer/Equalizer.
HA01...............(24v) ₦10,000
HA02................(48v) ₦20,000

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 2:46pm On Aug 21, 2019
ojeysky:

Right and I think I hinted that in my comment earlier; my current bank and load is not optimal so am not getting all the juice out yet. Nevertheless all my consumption needs are meet for now which is most important.

Yup understood, though I must note that my generation period is currently between 8:30 to 5pm and this is due to the fact that I am currently running the minimum panel requirement for the system hence due to low Voc the CC doesn't commence mppt early/late enough, will add more Panels in future as budget permits.

I have visited the mppsolar link you put up for that stuff. I also checked it out on AliExpress. The price of course isn't included on the mppsolar website and I know I wont get that until I request that from the custocare.

Do you mind sharing the amount you got yours? The price and the shipping separately.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:00pm On Aug 21, 2019
generationz:

Thanks a lot.
Yes I use the zinox power bank. The black 105000 m a h. what about inverter? Which inverter should I use?

You can you any of the low cost inverters of around 1000watt (around 750kva) or less, that is if your load does not exceed that.

But then your 105000mah seems to be the cumulative mah of the the cells in the pack, but the effective backup power provided by that bank is less, around 30ah (or thereabout) at 16.8volts. The cells are in 4s12p configuration.

I have about two of those. I constantly use one for experiments and first blew a fuse when I tried to use it to power a 200 watts gate opener (via inverter). I guess the on-board BMS is not designed to handle that much discharge current. I got by with just a blown fuse and repaired it.

Another instance was trying to use it to power a 12v bilge pump that I had used for the fountain in the compound. Well, after one minute of running, it smoked, fumes from the vent and this time as good as blown BMS board. What I am not sure of is whether there was excessive current draw by the pump or some form of back EMF from the pump into the power bank that could have been minimized by some capacitor connection in between the two. Anyways, I have scrapped it and all the batteries, still well within 1900mah each are waiting for a 24v DIY Li-on power bank with a better and stronger BMS.

So you may want to baby your Zinox power bank carefully to avoid blowing it up.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:11pm On Aug 21, 2019
lexi28:

pure sine wave inverters are more expensive and hardly come in lower capacities less than 1000w.

p.s you should know that there is a load limit of 100w on the zinox power bank. so I guess buying an expensive pure sine wave inverter for a 100w load limit is not cost effective. depending on your load, buy a MSW 300W portable inverter. or check this link:
(kindly read the reviews, use Google chrome browser if necessary):

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32812776117.html

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32804402790.html

best of luck

Yes. There are good 300watts continuous (500watts surge) PSW inverters on that site.

Dang! 100 watts for the power bank. Little wonder I blew the board. I shoulda somehow known that fact earlier on.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:16pm On Aug 21, 2019
[ While the installer was fiddling with the installation, I looked at the label on the CC. Low and behold, it is labelled "auto 12/24v". So, the installer actually put a CC with max 24v input on a 48v system!

[/quote]

Wicked world! Just wasted 8 new batteries like that.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 3:17pm On Aug 21, 2019
ceaser:

You can you any of the low cost inverters of around 1000watt (around 750kva) or less, that is if your load does not exceed that.

But then your 105000mah seems to be the cumulative mah of the the cells in the pack, but the effective backup power provided by that bank is less, around 30ah (or thereabout) at 16.8volts. The cells are in 4s12p configuration.

I have about two of those. I constantly use one for experiments and first blew a fuse when I tried to use it to power a 200 watts gate opener (via inverter). I guess the on-board BMS is not designed to handle that much discharge current. I got by with just a blown fuse and repaired it.

Another instance was trying to use it to power a 12v bilge pump that I had used for the fountain in the compound. Well, after one minute of running, it smoked, fumes from the vent and this time as good as blown BMS board. What I am not sure of is whether there was excessive current draw by the pump or some form of back EMF from the pump into the power bank that could have been minimized by some capacitor connection in between the two. Anyways, I have scrapped it and all the batteries, still well within 1900mah each are waiting for a 24v DIY Li-on power bank with a better and stronger BMS.

what I do is I connect my discharge wires directly to the battery, that way the bms is only needed when charging the battery. I think the bms is rated for maximum 80watts
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 3:23pm On Aug 21, 2019
Penuelseun:
what I do is I connect my discharge wires directly to the battery, that way the bms is only needed when charging the battery. I think the bms is rated for maximum 80watts

You mean with the same Zinox device?

Well I like your patience and pro-activeness. I was always time-bound in my own DIY stuffs and this usually manifests as some form of recklessness - a number of collateral damages grin.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 3:44pm On Aug 21, 2019
ceaser:

You mean with the same Zinox device?

Well I like your patience and pro-activeness. I was always time-bound in my own DIY stuffs and this usually manifests as some form of recklessness - a number of collateral damages grin.
Yes, the same Zinox device, but I still prefer the 40ah blue Lithium battery pack. It is more reliable
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 5:04pm On Aug 21, 2019
Penuelseun:
Yes, the same Zinox device, but I still prefer the 40ah blue Lithium battery pack. It is more reliable

@bolded

Is that easier to come by? Where can one get to purchase it?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 5:33pm On Aug 21, 2019
ceaser:

@bolded

Is that easier to come by? Where can one get to purchase it?
I have a friend that sells the two. The black Zinox box for 11k while the blue battery goes for 28k
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dragnet: 5:46pm On Aug 21, 2019
ojeysky:
Hello,

I want to get ceiling and standing fan with low consumption. I have found some DC fans at good price, my question is considering I will be connecting it to a AC power source, what AC/DC adapter can I use for it?

Thanks

A 12V - 1A/2A dc adapter should do, or even a N1200 GoTV adapter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 7:18pm On Aug 21, 2019
ceaser:

thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 7:21pm On Aug 21, 2019
Penuelseun:

Are you saying that you use an 80 watt solar panel to charge your zinox power bank?
Please I really need to know if that's what you do and how you go about doing it is very important
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 7:24pm On Aug 21, 2019
Penuelseun:
I have a friend that sells the two. The black Zinox box for 11k while the blue battery goes for 28k

Please can I have your friend's number for the blue box and how many ah is is the zinox power bank your friend sells for 11 thousand naira?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 7:26pm On Aug 21, 2019
Hello everyone please I would like to know how many ah this battery is
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 7:47pm On Aug 21, 2019
generationz:

480wh/12v = 40ah

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 7:56pm On Aug 21, 2019
40Ah nominal capacity

generationz:
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 7:59pm On Aug 21, 2019
ojeysky:

16k do you have direct DC setup or you are doing conversion?

For the ceiling fan? Pls link of store u got it.

To whom it may concern:
I have noticed that not all DC fans come with brushless dc motors. Some simply use a brush dc motor. That is still more energy efficient than an ac motor, but a brushless dc motor is the best energy wise, plus it doesn't generate static noise that can interfere with radio signals. Just so you knw.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 8:03pm On Aug 21, 2019
generationz:

Omg

God bless you.

I'm going to assemble this set up soon.

Please do I need any cables to connect the panel to the charge controller?

@bolded shocked ...pls be careful with lithium batteries in particular and electricity in general. Your question shows your are going from exam to classes rather than from classes to exam oh.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 8:06pm On Aug 21, 2019
generationz:

Compare batteries in watt hours rather than amp/hrs..... The missing voltage is used to mislead people when battery capacity is being adver tized most times
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 8:08pm On Aug 21, 2019
generationz:

Please can I have your friend's number for the blue box and how many ah is is the zinox power bank your friend sells for 11 thousand naira?
08078793908, the zinox power bank is 26ah
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 8:17pm On Aug 21, 2019
generationz:

Are you saying that you use an 80 watt solar panel to charge your zinox power bank?
Please I really need to know if that's what you do and how you go about doing it is very important
You can use the solar panel to charge it but you have to be really careful when doing so. Why don't you just get a charge controller with capacity to charge Lithium batteries instead of troubling yourself if you're not tech savvy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:29pm On Aug 21, 2019
dragnet:

A 12V - 1A/2A dc adapter should do, or even a N1200 GoTV adapter.

How can one connect that to a ceiling fan? Though I have not yet bought the fan I want to know my options first.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 8:45pm On Aug 21, 2019
generationz:

interesting question.
the batteries have capacities like 1900mah, 2200mah, 3000mah. they are configured in several ways. 3s12p ( 3 batteries in series, and 12 of such batteries in parallel)

the zinox is 4s12p. meaning that a total of 48pcs of batteries are used. the sellers now multiply that by the capacity of each battery. I.e if 2200mah batteries are used, they write the capacity as 48 x 2200mah = 105,600mah.

but actually your power bank is configured.thus:
4s = 4 series batteries determines voltage = 4.2 * 4 = 16.4v
12p = 12 strings in parallel determines Ah capacity of the power bank = 2200*12 = 26,400mah (26.4ah).

so your 106,500mah power bank is actually a 16.4v/26.4Ah lithium battery.

hope its clear now. its just a marketing gimmick.

cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 8:50pm On Aug 21, 2019
@ ojesky

first confirm wattage of the DC fan. the gotv adapter will power 12v * 1a = 12w device. if the wattage of the device is higher, the fan may not run as fast or the adapter may burn.

cut off the plug on the adaoter, connect the red wire to +ve leg on the DC fan, do likewise for the black to -ve leg. connect the adapter to the ac mains. fan should work. you may have to extend wires quite a bit from adapter to fan's supply leads.

hope the is helps

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 8:57pm On Aug 21, 2019
Trippledots:

@bolded shocked ...pls be careful with lithium batteries in particular and electricity in general. Your question shows your are going from exam to classes rather than from classes to exam oh.

grin grin grin

Ezz not my fault na
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dragnet: 9:00pm On Aug 21, 2019
ojeysky:

How can one connect that to a ceiling fan? Though I have not yet bought the fan I want to know my options first.

how do you connect AC to a ceiling fan?
I am surprised you still came here to ask an exact question I duly answered via mail, maybe you didn't trust my response. Others using similar fan should answer you.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 9:13pm On Aug 21, 2019
Penuelseun:
You can use the solar panel to charge it but you have to be really careful when doing so. Why don't you just get a charge controller with capacity to charge Lithium batteries instead of troubling yourself if you're not tech savvy

yes I intend getting a solar charge controller I think it's about 5000 Naira in the market.
So if I have the 80 watt solar panel and I have the solar charge controller I can easily connect it to my zinox power bank right?
Please how much is the 80 watt solar panel price currently?

(1) (2) (3) ... (571) (572) (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) ... (1688) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.