Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,166 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (637) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2055372 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) ... (1688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 4:31pm On Jan 01, 2020
adrusa:
@JUO and other Fangpusun/Victron Clone users here. I just installed a 150/70 Tr and it is asking for firmware update before I can use the victron connect on it. Can I go ahead and update? grin Is it safe at this time? Thank you.

Isn't anyone using Fangpusun/Victron Clone here? Please help a brother.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EgunMogaji2: 5:50pm On Jan 01, 2020
ojeysky:

Share spec, pictures and price

It’ll be improper and in bad form.

I just wanted to share what I knew about the product.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:55pm On Jan 01, 2020
Topmost11:

I got 3/0 awg and 95mm². What is that in mm

grin grin
Its what it is naaah
95mm cable is what is required, u have 6mm.
That shud show you the gross error in your cable sizing.....as i said earlier.
Mppt is best for such length..4s or 3s..depending on max Voc of your CC

You are supzd to be getting 30amps to 50amps as you can see....but you are only getting 11a..or max 18a i bet
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 6:23pm On Jan 01, 2020
nonoski:

100m is about 33 storeys height.

I believe it's 10m u wanted to write which is within the standard for most stanchion or UB
.... I meant 100m
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 6:37pm On Jan 01, 2020
adrusa:

Isn't anyone using Fangpusun/Victron Clone here? Please help a brother.
I have installed a few. Your best bet is to get an earlier version of the app. The newer versions will request an update (which might brick your device). The settings provided by the rotary switch should suffice for most uses.

Avoid firmware updates unless absolutely required for the functionality you require. I've been burnt twice so I am somewhat experienced now. You could PM me if you run into issues with the earlier apps though I foresee none.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 6:47pm On Jan 01, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Well said Oga GeorgeD
For this very reason I have 3 MorningStar MPPT 60a units and as I take my array to 15kw I have been struggling whether to purchase a Fangpusun as the 4th unit or stick with MorningStar. Very likely I will stick with MorningStar even though it costs twice the price of a similar Fangpusun unit.

My experience when I snagged up a Victron Quattro 8Kva was similar, I moved from a place of wondering whether my 6kw Red VilPower Star would randomly pack up one day (has a very failure prone control board) to a place of quiet confidence and assurance with Victron.
The Fangpusun, while a good product (like the Victron prototype), isn't of the same specs. Stellar performance, yes but the algorithm is a bit different in implementation and that minimal difference might cause enough drift to wreck your battery bank. I advise against it. Consider it similar to mixing batteries of same capacity but different makes. Especially as you're heavily invested in Morningstar already. What's one unit more?
PS: Victron units are absurdly durable and will tolerate ridiculous levels of abuse, as bigrovar previously stated.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 6:59pm On Jan 01, 2020
Saipro:

The Fangpusun, while a good product (like the Victron prototype), isn't of the same performance. The algorithm isn't as robust and that minimal difference might cause enough drift to wreck your battery bank. I advise against it. Especially as you're heavily invested in Morningstar already. What's one unit more?
Having said that, I have a few brand new, in-the-box Victron and Fanpusun gadgets for sale
- Victron VE.Direct 375VA 48VDC inverter
- Victron BMV 702 (with shunt and cables)
- Fangpusun 100/50 MPPT charge controller (display also available)
- EpSolar (Epever) 150V 60A MPPT
- three new units of Midnite SPD 300V

Used for less than year (then retired) but in perfect working order are
- Victron VE.Can 150/70 MPPT charge controller
- Victron VE.Direct 150/85 MPPT charge controller
- Victron VE.Direct 375VA 48VDC inverter
- Victron VE.Direct 800VA 48VDC inverter
- Victron Color Control GX

This is not a distress sale. Just a surplus listing
WhatsApp/Call O8O 3961 2147

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 7:16pm On Jan 01, 2020
adrusa:

Morningstar CC has a fatal weakness that kept me away from it. If the battery disconnects from the CC in the afternoon when there is sun, or if you mistakenly connect the PV before you connect the battery, the CC will catch fire and be damaged. I will never touch a MorningStar, ever.
I believe one won't really describe it as a design flaw. Literally all Chinese CC have that problem (I wouldn't know of Fangpusun clones of Outback and Victron). Of the common CC, it would appear Victron, Midnite and Outback have found ways to mitigate that problem.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 7:22pm On Jan 01, 2020
earthrealm:

grin grin
Its what it is naaah

You are supzd to be getting 30amps to 50amps as you can see....but you are only getting 11a..or max 18a i bet

95mm cable? I thought biggest cable is 16mm.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:26pm On Jan 01, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

It’ll be improper and in bad form.

I just wanted to share what I knew about the product.

Okay o....I thought you were marketing your business

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 7:53pm On Jan 01, 2020
Let me see what yield this will give given all other things remaining same.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 8:28pm On Jan 01, 2020
earthrealm:

grin grin
Its what it is naaah

95mm2 is the square area of the cable and not the diameter
So a 10mm diameter cable will have an area of (3.14x5x5=78.5mm2) while a 12mm diameter cable will have an area of (3.14x6x6=113.04mm2) etc.....

I believe a 10mm cable should suffice for the tax
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:46pm On Jan 01, 2020
hancock:

So a 10mm diameter cable will have an area of (3.14x5x5=78.5mm2) while a 12mm diameter cable will have an area of (3.14x6x6=113.04mm2) etc.....

wellll..... cables are usually sold by mm2 not diameter, you can confirm this by looking at the marking of any cable you have.
you believe wrong bro................... grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 8:46pm On Jan 01, 2020
hancock:

10mm cable is actually 10mm².
95mm² cable is real and quite thick (I use it on the +ve input to my Victron inverter). Consider that 300mm² cables exist
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:47pm On Jan 01, 2020
Topmost11:
I just changed my pwm to mppt. Does anyone know how to do the settings? Thanks

your cc no get manual.....
google for the manual if you dont have, unless some1 who has same make can guide u
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:54pm On Jan 01, 2020
Saipro:

95mm² cable is real and quite thick (I use it on the +ve input to my Victron inverter). Consider that 300mm² cables exist

exactly, as i stated above, i used 50mm2/50mm cable for the 4kva 48v inverter. talk about killing an ant with a sledge hammer. twas in the days of ignorance shaa
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 9:00pm On Jan 01, 2020
Saipro:

Interesting
000AWG or 3/0 AWG is equivalent to 10.4mm diameter cable

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:14pm On Jan 01, 2020
hancock:

Interesting
000AWG or 3/0 AWG is equivalent to 10.4mm diameter cable

you miss the point!. you still dont get it
cables are not sold by diameter size.....but square mm/mm2.................... aka area
simply go and look at the markings on the cable you have......
i no get strength for unnecessary/blind argument bros

@topmost, 90mm2 cable na mission impossible, it would be as thick as an infants forearm and would cost upto 10k per meter grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 9:25pm On Jan 01, 2020
earthrealm:

you miss the point!. you still Tr get it
cables are not sold by diameter size.....but square mm/mm2.................... aka area

@topmost, 90mm2 cable na mission impossible, it would be as thick as an infants forearm and would cost upto 10k per meter grin grin

On the contrary, I get the point. I am just wondering why are cables sold as 10mm/10mm2 or 50mm/50mm2 in this part of the world ?
What does the 10mm represent and what does the 10mm2 also represent? Clearly they don’t compliment each other if you consider the diameter and area logic
Don’t mind me , this is my OCD in mathematics kicking in cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:57pm On Jan 01, 2020
MM and MM Squared are metric measurements while AWG are US measurements - you will always find a US AWG size that is approximately equal to a given metric size e.g 6AWG cable is approximately 16mm-squared.

What we colloquially call MM here is actually the surface area measurement (mm squared).

Surface area is what matters because apparently electricity is thought to flow on the outside surface of a conductor, so all things being equal, larger surface area means abillity to carry more electric current with minimal resistance and heat losses.

The MM is the diameter of the bare conductor which one could ascertain with a calipre or other measurement.

These are my thoughts - based on a long history of purchases from North America and some electrical experience - I could be wrong as I never subjected this to rigour. Just took the knowledge 'as is'

On a lighter note I just purchased a set of marine grade copper ring terminal lugs (what you crimp on battery cable) for a project - Amazon lists them as 6AWG 5/16" eyelet ring terminals but the metric on the body is SC25-8 meaning it can take a 25mm2 cable crimped onto the lug and an M8 bolt through the ring eyelet to screw down to your battery post or bus bar.

Confusing eh? But one gets the hang of it eventually.

hancock:

On the contrary, I get the point. I am just wondering why are cables sold as 10mm/10mm2 or 50mm/50mm2 in this part of the world ?
What does the 10mm represent and what does the 10mm2 also represent? Clearly they don’t compliment each other if you consider the diameter and area logic

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 10:01pm On Jan 01, 2020
Saipro:

I have installed a few. Your best bet is to get an earlier version of the app. The newer versions will request an update (which might brick your device). The settings provided by the rotary switch should suffice for most uses.

Avoid firmware updates unless absolutely required for the functionality you require. I've been burnt twice so I am somewhat experienced now. You could PM me if you run into issues with the earlier apps though I foresee none.

Thank you Sapiro. I eventually got a 2017 version that upgraded the CC minimally and allowed me to configure the CC. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 10:51pm On Jan 01, 2020
earthrealm:

exactly, as i stated above, i used 50mm2/50mm cable for the 4kva 48v inverter. talk about killing an ant with a sledge hammer. twas in the days of ignorance shaa
No ignorance there; you were operating well within recognised/acceptable limits (distance of the cable run plays a huge role in determining the cable size chosen). Perhaps not cost effective but fewer headaches on the long run. So long as your breaker/fuse can protect your cable/equipment, you're fine. Breakers/fuses are primarily for protection of the cable (in our own RE case). In the instance of considerably oversizing the cable to avoid overheating/fire issues, you'll size your breakers/fuses to the lowest value that would protect your equipment while avoiding nuisance tripping. [s]If you're certain of your connections and in a good mood, you could go a bit higher though that practice is unsafe and highly discouraged, even for pros[/s]. Have safety gloves and a fire extinguisher handy at all times.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:00pm On Jan 01, 2020
adrusa:

Thank you Sapiro. I eventually got a 2017 version that upgraded the CC minimally and allowed me to configure the CC. Thanks.
My pleasure

hancock:

The mm unit suffix is presumed to be the same (and often used interchangeably) with the mm2. Consider it the shorthand form.

earthrealm:

Interstingly, just about twice the thickness of the 50mm2 cable though quite pricey as you've deduced.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2020
eleojo23:
Please what do you guys think about battery desulphators? Any Experience with them?
Do they really improve battery life?

cc: Hancock, adrusa, SolnergyPower, NiyiOmoIyunade
I recommend searching through this forum for the answers provided. Summary: while some might swear by them, lack of empirical evidence makes their proven usefulness dodgy. Many believe they're nothing but snake oil. I believe in desulphators (a select few brands with track records).

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:20pm On Jan 01, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
One of the problems I have come to see with the Lithium vs Lead Acid comparison is comparing unlike terms - comparing a premium or above average Lithium battery like BYD or PylonTech vs basic lead acid batteries.
By then also, I will have 5 years + of field experience from Ogas Pranil, DapSyra and Hancock to support my decision.

Interestingly Felicity have a Lithium offering that is priced pretty juicily and backed up by good support. Those are the kind one could take a risk on as the entry price is within the reach of us common men.
Always a pleasure to read from you. In my opinion, both battery types require some babysitting and monitoring. The energy density and corrosion issues are what lead has going against it. Maybe energy losses (as heat) while charging. Issues surge and DoD? Sizing the bank appropriately deftly caters to this. My US Battery banks for clients last an average of 3 - 4 years despite abuse in every single case. I still see no reason to discard lead chemistry. And I have LiFePo4 batteries with irregular use which I have been charting for many years now. While lithium is fun to use, it is not what I need. My appliances and energy requirements have been so fine tuned that surprises won't knock me off balance and redundancies would absorb all but the most unforeseen catastrophic event - and there's the backup LiFePO4 to ward that off (the lithiums have refused to die even with infrequent charging after 80% discharge). I suspect lithium might be the solution of the near future, if not overtaken by some other chemistry or energy storage device.

Let everyone believe what they would but choose wisely what would suit your needs. Ones application-specific requirements might not be the trending choice.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 12:37am On Jan 02, 2020
funshyboi:

I was told the connection won't need a charge controller as the current the panels will generate won't be to much for the battery. Stand to be corrected tho
... as soon as the batteries are reasonably "full", the battery voltage would rise rapidly to match that of the PV output. Unless the incoming current (after deducting loads and losses) is really small compared to battery capacity (typically 4% or less). Given those conditions being met, you're likely to damage your battery from undercharging. As you can see, either way is a lose-lose. Slip in a cheap but functional CC and you'll minimise the possibility of a premature battery death or worse, a fire.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 12:48am On Jan 02, 2020
Barezzi:
grin grin That CC is one of the most useless in the world. I remember my travails with it. I quickly dispatched it with my trusted hammer.

You should have seen the smile of satisfaction on my face!
Thor's Mjölnir should be envious of your hammer by now.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 5:34am On Jan 02, 2020
hancock:

I wanted to buy 10mm at the time but only got 6mm that's available
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 5:48am On Jan 02, 2020
earthrealm:

you miss the point!. you still dont get it

Lol. You have a great sense of humour. Any cable that is above 1000 per meter is too expensive for my needs.
From my research, cables are in mm² or awg(american wire guage). I was told 10mm² is ok for my needs so I went out looking for 10mm². I had to settle for 6mm² at the end due to urgency of the situation.
Sellers confuse by telling you 10awg is 10mm². I almost fell for it but when I told him I wanted 10mm² and not 10awg, he confessed he has only 6mm² which he wanted to push to me as 10mm² since it has 10awg written on it. So once you see 10 you believe it means 10mm²
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 6:04am On Jan 02, 2020
hancock:

Cables are in mm² or awg. We in this part mention mm because we are more comfortable with that than mm². As you rightly said mm is diameter and mm² is area so can't be same thing. We are the ones causing confusion for ourselves assisted by cable sellers. No cable will have mm on it; what you'll see printed on cables is mm² and/or awg.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by align360: 6:07am On Jan 02, 2020
dragnet:

it is complicated because the ones in the link are all in parallel but the one in the shared picture has both series and parallel connection.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Topmost11(m): 6:17am On Jan 02, 2020
Let's see today's yield with other things remaining same

(1) (2) (3) ... (634) (635) (636) (637) (638) (639) (640) ... (1688) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: adibo(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.