Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,042 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (666) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2068197 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (663) (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) (669) ... (1696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 10:30pm On Jan 31, 2020
quest4s:
Thanks
I am just a bit skeptic as how efficient the 24v will be as against 48v which supplies more power and possible produce a better pure sine wave
please correct me if am wrong is my assertion

Does the DC voltage of an inverter determine the efficiency of the sine wave of an inverter? When you say it supplies more power, what exactly do you mean by that? Is the power here related to the duration of the backup? Because if it is, it only depends on the AH rating of the battery in play.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 7:21am On Feb 01, 2020
quest4s:
Thanks
I am just a bit skeptic as how efficient the 24v will be as against 48v which supplies more power and possible produce a better pure sine wave

Both supply same power.
If it's from same manufacturer and of same spec except for battery voltage, then both would produce same waveform.
- 24v inverter will use 2 12v battery while a 48v inverter will use 4 of such battery.
-current sharing is a problem for 24v battery if you decide to use 4 battery whereas it won't be for a 48v inverter. For the 24v setup, one string will do more work than the other except you use busbar at every voltage point reference (0v, 12v and 24v).
-for a 24v setup, if using busbar you only have to bother about balancing only two block of battery whereas in a 48v setup, you're balancing 4 blocks of 12v battery.
-like earlier noted for a 2.5kva 24v is better in cost management. Don't think of only the initial setup, consider replacement cost. 2 vs 4 battery
-if you want to go solar, asumiing a single charge controller of 60A, a 48v system will be able to handle twice the amount of solar panel of a 24v system.
-if you intern to go lithium in future, 48v is best. Most premium brand, provide ideal cost savings in their 48v setup.

From experience, below 1.5kva 12v setup is ideal, below 3kva 24v and up to 6kva 48v. If cost is not a challenge, a 48v system is the best for the capacity you envisage.
Reason: lead acid battery perform better at moderate discharge and charge rate. If the rate is too high, capacity reduces. For instance, a 200AH battery may only be 150AH if current is drawn at 40A, 210AH if drawn at 1A, and 200AH if drawn at 10A dependent on the specification.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 9:37am On Feb 01, 2020
quest4s:
GURUS PLEASE HELP
Inverter 24v 2.5kva vs 48v 2.5kva which is better or is there no difference

Do 48v if you can afford it. It is less stressful for your system compared to 12v or 24v. It also allows you to use more solar panels on the same charge controller. Your wires will not be as hot and your contacts will not suffer so much burns from arc current. The only disadvantage is the minimum number of batteries required which is 4. You can minimize the cost by going for lower capacity batteries like 100AH.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:28pm On Feb 01, 2020
Folks if you can, go lithium FP mine has been throwing great performance thus far!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 12:31pm On Feb 01, 2020
quest4s:
Thanks

The 24v or 48v talks about the voltage needed before the inverter can work NOT necessarily the CAPACITY of the inverter as per its ability to carry load or supply power to your appliances. Also the sine wave is NOT "purer" based on voltage!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hancock(m): 1:03pm On Feb 01, 2020
ojeysky:
Folks if you can, go lithium FP mine has been throwing great performance thus far!

I see you are enjoying your new sets of batteries grin
Once you go lithium you will never want to look back cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 1:25pm On Feb 01, 2020
hancock:

Yes o.... infact having learnt that I can introduce new battery at any time without negative effect, I am hoping I to get another 5.4kwh by end of the year[1] so I can add to my existing 5.4kwh. The stuff is small but mighty...the way it withstand temporary current demand spikes is amazing!

Cheers!
[1] Assuming the performance of current one continue as it's currently experienced.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 5:41pm On Feb 01, 2020
If you know, you know!
You have said it all. Atleast from practical end of it.

OP can proof us otherwise.

adrusa:

Do 48v if you can afford it. It is less stressful for your system compared to 12v or 24v. It also allows you to use more solar panels on the same charge controller. Your wires will not be as hot and your contacts will not suffer so much burns from arc current. The only disadvantage is the minimum number of batteries required which is 4. You can minimize the cost by going for lower capacity batteries like 100AH.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 9:36pm On Feb 01, 2020
Can more people post so we can leave this page fast? grin grin
Page 666 no go good with Lassa fever, Corona Virus, Influenza virus etc going round the world before Inverter Virus and Solar Virus too begin start! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by quest4s: 1:28am On Feb 02, 2020
Thanks for taking your precious time to write this very informative response. I really appreciate it

mank1234:

Both supply same power.
If it's from same manufacturer and of same spec except for battery voltage, then both would produce same waveform.
- 24v inverter will use 2 12v battery while a 48v inverter will use 4 of such battery.
-current sharing is a problem for 24v battery if you decide to use 4 battery whereas it won't be for a 48v inverter. For the 24v setup, one string will do more work than the other except you use busbar at every voltage point reference (0v, 12v and 24v).
-for a 24v setup, if using busbar you only have to bother about balancing only two block of battery whereas in a 48v setup, you're balancing 4 blocks of 12v battery.
-like earlier noted for a 2.5kva 24v is better in cost management. Don't think of only the initial setup, consider replacement cost. 2 vs 4 battery
-if you want to go solar, asumiing a single charge controller of 60A, a 48v system will be able to handle twice the amount of solar panel of a 24v system.
-if you intern to go lithium in future, 48v is best. Most premium brand, provide ideal cost savings in their 48v setup.

From experience, below 1.5kva 12v setup is ideal, below 3kva 24v and up to 6kva 48v. If cost is not a challenge, a 48v system is the best for the capacity you envisage.
Reason: lead acid battery perform better at moderate discharge and charge rate. If the rate is too high, capacity reduces. For instance, a 200AH battery may only be 150AH if current is drawn at 40A, 210AH if drawn at 1A, and 200AH if drawn at 10A dependent on the specification.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abbeyforex(m): 5:08am On Feb 02, 2020
I have a solar power system of 3KVA 12 volt inverter and 2 pieces 200AH battery. I use it to power only 1 chest freezer of 169 watt 1.2A but the issue is that the battery gets drained and drop to around 10.8 whenever the sun starts setting (around 4pm). I have a feeling the battery is not good or is this normal. The set up was done about 3 months ago and initially it last over the night till when the sun begins to rise but recently, the battery gets drained so fast. Pls advise
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 5:37am On Feb 02, 2020
abbeyforex:
I have a solar power system of 3KVA 12 volt inverter and 2 pieces 200AH battery. I use it to power only 1 chest freezer of 169 watt 1.2A but the issue is that the battery gets drained and drop to around 10.8 whenever the sun starts setting (around 4pm). I have a feeling the battery is not good or is this normal. The set up was done about 3 months ago and initially it last over the night till when the sun begins to rise but recently, the battery gets drained so fast. Pls advise

you need to break it down for easy review. give more info. for now
batr - 400a x 12 = 4,800w
load - 169w x 14hrs at least = 2,366w
i am suspecting ur solar panels or setup is not adequate to charge ur battery to full that is why on d first day the batr power was able to run overnight so let's have ur solar setup info ok

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abbeyforex(m): 6:14am On Feb 02, 2020
Solar panel is 8 pieces of 150 watts
2 pieces 200amps battery

idsolar:

you need to break it down for easy review. give more info. for now
batr - 400a x 12 = 4,800w
load - 169w x 14hrs at least = 2,366w
i am suspecting ur solar panels or setup is not adequate to charge ur battery to full that is why on d first day the batr power was able to run overnight so let's have ur solar setup info ok
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 6:18am On Feb 02, 2020
abbeyforex:
2 pieces 200amps battery

Your information is lean. Btw, does your freezer run 24/7? What voltage did your battery hit before it starts charging in the morning? Did it get there float durning the day before sun down?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by unicmarket: 7:28am On Feb 02, 2020
abbeyforex:

I think I get your point

This issue can be traced to your battery(probably are bad) or its that your Inverter as destroyed them; by consistent over discharging the battery, and in long term as destroyed the battery, a good Inverter should not discharge a battery below 10.5- 11v, so as not to use up the batteries to 0 level for a longer life span. Because once the sun goes down, your battery drops to about 10.8v, this may show you immediately that your battery cells could have been tampered with.

What to look out for
1. The battery (orginal?)
2. The solar charge controller( could it be that it’s overcharging the battery; which could I turn damage the cells)
3. The Inverter May have been using up the battery cells to 0point and in turn damaged the cells

I would advice you contact your installer; if you haven’t. But you could chat me up on whatsapp too ; let’s see how you can fix it. At my signature

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ICraft(m): 8:48am On Feb 02, 2020
abbeyforex:

First of all, your batteries are bad, they suffered undercharge for a long time and gave up. Secondly the daily yield from your solar array has reduced drastically as a result of dust cover. that's what destroyed the batteries. you need to wash them clean and replace your batteries. you also need to clean your panels routinely during the dry season, at least once in a month.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 9:00am On Feb 02, 2020
abbeyforex:
2 pieces 200amps battery

8 of 150W is 1200W.
Your total generation will be 2400 to 4800W a day depending on ambient temperature and solar insolation.
Assuming a freezer of 167W is on 2/3 of the time in a 24hr runtime = 2,671W
Asume inverter self consumption of 50W: total in a 24hr day = 1200W
Asume average of 50W for other opptunistic load (it may even be more than the 50W): total in a day = 1200W.

If you sum up usage, you'll see that generation is below consumption. At the initial stage of setup, battery was providing the balance, but now that has been depleted.

Note: This calculation is based on information provided.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 9:16am On Feb 02, 2020
abbeyforex:

good points made so far.
in addition, kindly confirm the type of charge controller you have, and state your panel config.
your battery is prolly damaged from being drained too much.i believe u allowed your freezer run 24/7 initially. get a timer socket and only run the freezer for 8hrs max daily,
since ur inverter is 12v, i wonder the type of cc u have, that u were able to put 1200w panels on it. too many unknowns/variables in this case..

what i would advice you do is state all your loads , their wattages and run times, then people can suggest a suitable design for you

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 11:47am On Feb 02, 2020
A good system design considers:
1) Load
2) Backup time (discharging)
3) Charging
All have been covered in this thread and on many sites online. Its always good to have a little knowledge of what you want to buy or repair.

Invest in tools. Read and learn, even if you don't need it at this time; even if you want to contract out your installation.

Your installer may not be too knowledgeable and spoil your hardware. You may end up buying wrong parts due to wrong diagnosis.

The error may not show up immediately. I've heard of cars burnt few days after a visit to an auto electrician. I've seen panels connected or oriented wrongly. All this could have been solved if the onwers had little knowledge and supervised work themselves. You don't need to be an engineer to know the basics; you don't need to be a lawyer to know laws.

Having a little knowledge about everything pays.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 11:52am On Feb 02, 2020
Happy new month/ first Sunday of the month from Manuel Solar Energy Enterprises, May this month favour us all.

Shalom ✌️

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 1:52pm On Feb 02, 2020
On this page "666" lets talk a little about apocalypse. This time how to avoid it for your battery on long float periods.... grin

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/350816/how-long-should-a-battery-be-in-floating-charge
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ewizard1: 8:53pm On Feb 02, 2020
Entry.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:53pm On Feb 02, 2020
16inches DC solar standing fan available, #16000. Contact us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ewizard1: 9:39pm On Feb 02, 2020
ceaser:
MPPT is sweet! Lithium is sweet!
Yeah, very sweet!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ojaysport: 11:19pm On Feb 02, 2020
How much is it?
hancock:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 11:45pm On Feb 02, 2020
ojeysky:

grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 5:03am On Feb 03, 2020
Ojaysport:
How much is it?

It really depends on what you need or what your pocket can afford. Mine is a 24v 5.4kw at 450k. There sure other top brands that costs more....those got way more better packaging, logging, bells and whistles but mine works as I hoped for and that's all that matters.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 9:37am On Feb 03, 2020
Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 9:40am On Feb 03, 2020
220amps Genus tubular battery available, #95000. Contact us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 9:43am On Feb 03, 2020
60amps SUNFIT MPPT charge controller available, #65000. Contact us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 9:45am On Feb 03, 2020
3.5kva kartel pure sine wave inverter available, #110 000. Contact us today on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 9:46am On Feb 03, 2020
Bring your orders coming in.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (663) (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) (669) ... (1696) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: kristien4(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.