Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,225 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (717) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2057536 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) ... (1691) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:54pm On Apr 13, 2020
Error 4 should be 'over temperature or fan jam' I believe - something you can do a makeshift fix for if you are handy.

fogeg87963:

Mine is a 5kw 48v and days ago, it surged and showed me error 4 till date.
i started to think its my village people.
now there is lockdown, had to whip out a forgotten 12v inverter,
but the shit is a modified sine wave inverter and it gives me the annoying 'hummmmmmmmm' as if transformer dey inside my house.
cant run anything except light and dc fan, even sef, the changover time is worse, everywhere goes dark for like 2 secs
someone help me beg for the lockdown to be cancelled, so i can fix my lovely horsepower
have to replace the control board. i guess.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fogeg87963: 8:10pm On Apr 13, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Error 4 should be 'fan jam' I believe - something you can do a makeshift fix for if you are handy.

i can get someone who is pretty handy in DIY stuffs, is there a guide you can show me?
hopefully we can get it up and running,
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 8:12pm On Apr 13, 2020
mctfopt:
@n9jaboy this is for you. Tried to type this but the bots were angry grin

He actually has a 4.8kwh set up viz 200ah*24v.
Assuming he adopts the 50% DoD rule, which of course we know as a beginner won't be adhered to let's just work it for him with it. Meaning he has to fill in 2.4kwh after every use.

He claims to have 1040w of panels, we don't know if the MPPT is utilising all or its wasting the excesses. Still assuming he uses all, time to charge the system would be 2400wh/1040w= 2.3hrs. In solar you approximate upwards and that becomes 3hrs. Actually that is just a little short of an average daily solar harvest. Also, this only works if battery won't be used all day while it charges.

When you deplete below 50% DoD, you won't be able to fill up the bank in one day. Too many inefficiencies and losses doesn't make this look like an effective system. My 20kobo.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 8:38pm On Apr 13, 2020
n9jaboy:
Good morning,

Please I just bought 2No 150ah inverter batteries (auction).

essegis:

Assuming he adopts the 50% DoD rule, which of course we know as a beginner won't be adhered to let's just work it for him with it. Meaning he has to fill in 2.4kwh after every use.

Oh, thought he said two numbers of 150ah, based my reply on this. Cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by n9jaboy: 9:27pm On Apr 13, 2020
mctfopt:
@n9jaboy this is for you. Tried to type this but the bots were angry grin

I am sorry about the bot. Thanks for the clarification. from your explanation, a good setup for my 2 batteries (150ah) i should get

(a) 1KVA 12V inverter
(b) 40A MPPT charge controller
(c) 400W solar panel
For the load, I will love to add my television with below power consumption rating (It consumes a power of 50 Hz to 60 Hz or AC 100 V to 240 V and utilizes a mere 1 w or lesser while skipping to the standby mode.)

I learnt I can even get AC/DC fan with 15watts power consumption,

Solar is expensive but sweet. Had this pet project for a community without light last year. We installed a 300watts solar panel, 1000w inverter, 200ah battery, charge controller and a board with about 20 sockets for charging of phones, surprisingly the system is still running, may will make it a year.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by n9jaboy: 9:32pm On Apr 13, 2020
essegis:

He claims to have 1040w of panels, we don't know if the MPPT is utilising all or its wasting the excesses. Still assuming he uses all, time to charge the system would be 2400wh/1040w= 2.3hrs. In solar you approximate upwards and that becomes 3hrs. Actually that is just a little short of an average daily solar harvest. Also, this only works if battery won't be used all day while it charges.

When you deplete below 50% DoD, you won't be able to fill up the bank in one day. Too many inefficiencies and losses doesn't make this look like an effective system. My 20kobo.

Hello,
I am yet to setup. What I have on ground in 2 of 150ah GP used batteries. Working on setting it up, hence the reason of asking those questions. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 9:46pm On Apr 13, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
You are lucky if you got 5 years use before any issues came up on the Mustpower.

Random control board {component} failures are the bane of the Mustpower, if it is not calibration issues for voltage and current, it would be board failure due to surge or cooling fan failure e.t.c

The power board side conversely is pretty rugged and can run large loads within its rating easily.

This range of inverter would be far better value than indian brands and more expensive premium options if only they made a more reliable control board.

If you take your inverter to Oshodi Arena, you can either have the board repaired or swapped out for a new one for like 35K all in. They will always test it for you there although no guarantee it will not fail again in 3 weeks or 3 months or 3 years.

Very true. Learnt the hard way. Resolved not to do mustpower again
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 12:36am On Apr 14, 2020
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 12:37am On Apr 14, 2020
essegis:

One of the things no one will tell you especially Nigerian installers is you have to over size your system to take care of redundancies and inefficiencies.

Over sizing systems cost money and once told people run away from it when told the cost. But from your explanation, if your batteries are good and new then your system is actually under-sized. You need to work on it.

Also, it's bad running your batteries till they turn off. Kills them faster. Try 50% always mentioned here for Lead Acid batteries. With that sha your inverter for don off since afternoon cheesy cheesy

Story of my life at bolded.. cheesy...i work with a renewable energy firm that handles companies, I decided to try my hands with installations for individuals as a side hustle... My brother, as i speak, not even one deal under my belt yet. With my little knowledge of solar installation, i make my quote and the client just disappears like smoke because of installation cost.

I'm almost tempted to become a charlatan, and follow the crowd.

I'm yet to overcome my good conscience...i no fit open eye de give quote wey system go die under 5 months of use.

I'm a spectator while others are smiling to the bank. grin

9 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 5:42am On Apr 14, 2020
Oh, thought he said two numbers of 150ah, based my reply on this. Cool

Sorry about that bro, I thought you were referring to JaySterling. It was an honest mix up.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 5:51am On Apr 14, 2020
Trippledots:

Story of my life at bolded.. cheesy...i work with a renewable energy firm that handles companies, I decided to try my hands with installations for individuals as a side hustle... My brother, as i speak, not even one deal under my belt yet. With my little knowledge of solar installation, i make my quote and the client just disappears like smoke because of installation cost.

I'm almost tempted to become a charlatan, and follow the crowd.

I'm yet to overcome my good conscience...i no fit open eye de give quote wey system go die under 5 months of use.

I'm a spectator while others are smiling to the bank. grin

This your situation is real. I will advise to continue to be good in what you do. Your customers would appreciate and call more for you.

The charlatans are the ones giving solar a bad name. Too bad nothing we can do about it but na like so life be. From the people that undersize systems to the ones that bring in cheap, inferior components.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gabon(m): 10:25am On Apr 14, 2020
Malevonent:
am thinking of replacing my 8 x 12v 200ah smf battery bank soon, as am tired of trying to keep them all balanced, 1 or 2 will usually drift off, and cause problems for me.. HA02 is connected, but doesnt seem to be doing anything, except emitting a high pitched sound

so whats the cost of an equivalent LIPO4 Bank that i can use to replace tis 48v x 400ah smf bank, is it true that a 48v 200ah LIPO4 is an equivalent replacement??

Let's talk on WhatsApp or call me on 07035588336
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 6:33pm On Apr 14, 2020
Guys, any idea of the amps draw for a 1hp pump? I want to use it to size my BMS. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by OlgaLeez: 7:07pm On Apr 14, 2020
Friends, hello everyone. I need a consultation, what do you think about these https://solarneeded.com/review/renogy-100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-solar-panel-review "renogy 100 watt 12 volt monocrystalline solar panel"? We just also want to switch to solar energy, are they suitable for a large house? What solar panels did you buy for your home and why?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 7:28pm On Apr 14, 2020
OlgaLeez:
Friends, hello everyone. I need a consultation, what do you think about these https://solarneeded.com/review/renogy-100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-solar-panel-review "renogy 100 watt 12 volt monocrystalline solar panel"? We just also want to switch to solar energy, are they suitable for a large house? What solar panels did you buy for your home and why?

If you say for a big house these won't cut it. These are mainly for RV set ups. Also a kind advice, don't import your panels. They are the cheapest parts of solar system in the country. Get them from Alaba.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:06pm On Apr 14, 2020
essegis:
Guys, any idea of the amps draw for a 1hp pump? I want to use it to size my BMS. Thanks.

Mine is about 40A though I think it's 1.5hp
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:19pm On Apr 14, 2020
essegis:

3A - 5A when the motor has started.
3x - 10x of above at startup (depending also on the state of the capacitor)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by essegis(m): 4:38am On Apr 15, 2020
ojeysky:

Mine is about 40A though I think it's 1.5hp

100A BMS should work just fine for me then. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 9:14am On Apr 15, 2020
mank1234:

AC current right?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:07am On Apr 15, 2020
essegis:

100A BMS should work just fine for me then. Thanks.

Sure it should, irrespective of whether it's a common port or separate port BMS. My current BMS is 80A and it serves the household including the pumping machine
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 2:03pm On Apr 15, 2020
essegis:

For a 24V system, it draws around 24.5A, 1hp sub pump.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:30pm On Apr 15, 2020
AshipaEk0:
There's a lot of battery/charging talk here

so could someone enlighten me on the feasibility of charging a car battery with the 12V points from a generator?

i didn't start my car for a week and discovered the battery was completely dead.

its a shock as the said battery is just 4 months old

anyway someone alerted me to the 12V output from the generator so i checked and it seems the generator should be be able to do 8Amps via the 12V output.

said battery is 75Amps

will it work? and is it advisable

I think you may wanna have your car diagnosed for parasitic current consumption.

I leave an SUV with 60ah battery parked for 2 weeks without running and it still cranks quite well after.

Meanwhile there is a second car that can't stay parked for 72 hrs without the battery running flat. It cost me two batteries within six months last year. Google suggested the problem of parasitic current leak but I don't even know where to start the diagnosis from.

Edited: I can see that earthrealm has answered the question.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:39pm On Apr 15, 2020
earthrealm:

you may consider getting a compact 10w or 15w car solar panel, you simply place on your dash board and it keeps your battery topped up and in good health

Where would the panel terminals be plugged into? The cigarette lighter port in the car or directly on the batteries under the hood?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ghostt: 4:47pm On Apr 15, 2020
Inverter, made in Nigeria .

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 5:22pm On Apr 15, 2020
essegis:

This your situation is real. I will advise to continue to be good in what you do. Your customers would appreciate and call more for you.

The charlatans are the ones giving solar a bad name. Too bad nothing we can do about it but na like so life be. From the people that undersize systems to the ones that bring in cheap, inferior components.

Ok boss... Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 5:28pm On Apr 15, 2020
mank1234:

Talking about in rush current, have you guys heard of soft start devices? I watched a video of it recently. Looks like a little guy that does a lot for inductive loads on inverter.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 6:05pm On Apr 15, 2020
BetaTechnicians:

AC current right?

Yes.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 6:08pm On Apr 15, 2020
Trippledots:

Talking about in rush current, have you guys heard of soft start devices? I watched a video of it recently. Looks like a little guy that does a lot for inductive loads on inverter.

I have not.
If there's it will be worth looking at as it will drastically reduce the need to oversize an inverter or generator.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:10pm On Apr 15, 2020
ceaser:

I think you may wanna have your car diagnosed for parasitic current consumption.

I leave an SUV with 60ah battery parked for 2 weeks without running and it still cranks quite well after.

Meanwhile there is a second car that can't stay parked for 72 hrs without the battery running flat. It cost me two batteries within six months last year. Google suggested the problem of parasitic[b] current leak but I don't even know where to start the diagnosis from.[/b]

Edited: I can see that earthrealm has answered the question.

It requires dedicating some time to it with a lot of patience, the process of diagnosis is connecting a multimeter and then pulling the fuses one by one. However before you go that painful route check to be sure it's not the alternator, for over 50% of such cases it's the alternator. Note your battery resting voltage, disconnect the alternator and then check the battery voltage after several hours.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:05pm On Apr 15, 2020
ceaser:

Where would the panel terminals be plugged into? The cigarette lighter port in the car or directly on the batteries under the hood?

directly to the battery under the hood, for the cigaretter lighter port to work in that regard, you need to do an additional ALWAYS ON mod, which isnt so necessary. a 10w to 20w 12v panel would do the job

Tracing parasitic drain isnt all that cumbersome, you need a digital voltmeter, lots of videos on youtube to guide you

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:07pm On Apr 15, 2020
Trippledots:

is that not snake oil? grin
like the ads i see, where they say people should buy a small gadget , which will enable them run 2hp sumo pumps and steam iron on i pass my nebo gens grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) ... (1691) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: otis54(m), Bb007, ceaser and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.