Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (827) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2074992 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (824) (825) (826) (827) (828) (829) (830) ... (1699) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abbeymighty(m): 12:08pm On Aug 21, 2020
[Pls what is d problem if i may ask?)

There might be a problem with the bolded. [/quote]
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 12:48pm On Aug 21, 2020
abbeymighty:

There might be a problem with the bolded.

Fyi when you respond, write outside of the quoted message so your text is readable
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 12:58pm On Aug 21, 2020
I am thinking, perhaps you want them to only be able to power their lights, charge phones then maybe you want them to only have about 200W, in that case you may be needing a CB of 1A for 220W at 220V, I wonder if you can get that in the market.
kadorzy:
Good day great minds.
I need to extend power to an apartment as a matter of urgency, but I don't want to leave any thing to chance of abuse. Is there any form of control I can implement to limit their consumption if by chance they abuse it?

Thank you sirs
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 2:21pm On Aug 21, 2020
Israelicc:
Na so Zeestone99, we won't be stagnant if the parameters are right, we go port. It's the way of the world, "move with the times or get stuck".

Remember the days of PWM charge controllers and all we could achieve was having lots of strings 2 x 5, 2 x 9 configurations of solar panels to achieve high charging current. Then came MPPT charge controllers and higher Voc panels and we started talking about 3 x 3, 4 x 3, 12 x 6 config etc. When technology moves, we move. The trend is your friend as borrowed from another parlance. grin

Well said bro. No time

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 3:28pm On Aug 21, 2020
abbeymighty:

There might be a problem with the bolded.

Modified sine wave isn't appropriate for freezers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 4:50am On Aug 22, 2020
Folks, is it really ideal or worthwhile to have an air conditioner installed in the kitchen? Does anyone here have that in their home?

Sorry it may be a little off topic, but I guess it's still remotely related.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:42am On Aug 22, 2020
ceaser:
Folks, is it really ideal or worthwhile to have an air conditioner installed in the kitchen? Does anyone here have that in their home?

I have considered this before as well when the option of heat extractor was not looking promising. If your kitchen size and pocket size fits why not wink
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 6:48am On Aug 22, 2020
Anyone running node-red here that could help a JJC like me grin. I am trying to make an if statement to toggle a switch off/on based on a specific value from my mqtt. I tried using the switch mode but it didn't seem to be doing the trick. Any pointers or hint will be of help. For now i am only just using the injector to toggle the on and off manually

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:53am On Aug 22, 2020
Ideally you want both an heat extractor and an AC. This is an investment that will surely pay off as the Madam will be very happy with you.

If budget pressed then an heat extractor suffices.

Of course with much power comes much responsibility and you now have to find a way to power these extra appliances whenever the kitchen is in use. If there is no sure means to power them as needed, then one may not bother putting money into acquiring them in the first place.

ceaser:

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:33am On Aug 22, 2020
ojeysky:

I have considered this before as well when the option of heat extractor was not looking promising. If your kitchen size and pocket size fits why not wink

NiyiOmoIyunade:
Ideally you want both an heat extractor and an AC. This is an investment that will surely pay off as the Madam will be very happy with you.

Of course with much power comes much responsibility and you now have to find a way to power these extra appliances whenever the kitchen is in use. If there is no sure means to power them as needed, then one may not bother putting money into acquiring them in the first place.

Thanks. The average consumption of most extractors I can across online have been modest, circa 60 watts of I clearly recall.

But the noise of those cooking hoods no be here. I have tried checking out a few available around me and I have reservations about the extra noises. I know you'll say after all na Madame workplace e be so complaints of any noises should be from her not me. cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:03am On Aug 22, 2020
You are correct, power consumption is modest for a heat extractor. The noise however nor get part 2.

I have a Zitalo mid range unit and it is veeerry noisy even at the lowest speed settings. I suspect sucking/venting the air through a tube is responsible for this. Again it is what it is, not sure there are many super silent options out there - one could actuallly DIY his own extractor fan to spec if pressed.

The AC is another matter - power consumption to cool a warm to hot room would definitely be higher than average and presupposes that one has a suitable sized inverter and battery bank and a ready power source to replenish whatever was used.

The kitchen is one place I would do a standard non inverter AC since I expect to use it no more than 2 hours at a time and also cool at max power.

ceaser:

Thanks. The average consumption of most extractors I can across online have been modest, circa 60 watts of I clearly recall.

But the noise of those cooking hoods no be here. I have tried checking out a few available around me and I have reservations about the extra noises. I know you'll say after all na Madame workplace e be so complaints of any noises should be from her not me. cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 10:20am On Aug 22, 2020
ojeysky:
Anyone running node-red here that could help a JJC like me grin. I am trying to make an if statement to toggle a switch off/on based on a specific value from my mqtt. I tried using the switch mode but it didn't seem to be doing the trick. Any pointers or hint will be of help. For now i am only just using the injector to toggle the on and off manually

Check if this will help:
https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/controlling-tasmota-sonoff-switch-node-red/

I guess you're using a tasmotized switch; I saw your request for a Sonoff in your past post.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Israelicc: 10:37am On Aug 22, 2020
Well articulated Sir. It's a matter necessity and preference. I love the Madam will be very happy part grin.

Most times the heat generated from the kitchen can make cooking a real chore. So anything to make Madam happy would be great. One could even add a smart TV there as well sef and like Oga NiyiOmoIyunade said, be prepared to upgrade your system accordingly.

I assure you, very delicious meals will come out of that upgraded kitchen wink

NiyiOmoIyunade:

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:43am On Aug 22, 2020
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:47am On Aug 22, 2020
mank1234:

Check if this will help:

I guess you're using a tasmotized switch; I saw your request for a Sonoff in your past post.

I have figured it out thanks to @ceaser and no I am not using the flashed version, I found a way to automate the R2 without needing to flash tasmota. Draw back is that it will rely on internet.

Edit: one of those posts where i tagged the wrong person. Instead of @adrusa

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eleojo23: 11:47am On Aug 22, 2020
Israelicc:
Well articulated Sir. It's a matter necessity and preference. I love the Madam will be very happy part grin.

Most times the heat generated from the kitchen can make cooking a real chore. So anything to make Madam happy would be great One could even add a smart TV there as well sef and like Oga NiyiOmoIyunade said, be prepared to upgrade your system accordingly.

You sure say this one no go lead to frequent occurrence of too much salt and burnt rice? Fear Zeeworld! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 12:31pm On Aug 22, 2020
ojeysky:
I run a timer switch on my freezer so it goes off at 5pm but when there is public utility I manually adjust it to be permanently on, unfortunately this is not so optimal as if utility goes off or on days when sun is not smiling and my battery is depleting am forced to head to location of the freezer to switch it back to timer mode or off as the case may be. Sometimes this happens at wee hours.

Thanks to @ceaser who triggered my curiosity about Sonoff, so I got the basic recently and now I can easily switch off from any location. Unfortunately I got the R2 version which does not have mqtt option (and I don't yet have the ingredients to flash the device with tasmota firmware) so for now am stuck with on and off from the app. Hopefully in near future it will be integrated with homeassistance when my 4CH R3 version arrives or I get to flash tasmota. Overall as it stands it's an improvement over my previous set-up.

On that note, I have a timer switch for sale for anyone interested wink

Due to not having enough time for automation and my use of a "dumb" inverter that can't speak to software,
To monitor/control freezer load. I used a timer for time of day but due to uncertainty of sun input too, I had to introduce a 24v dc contactor in series with a battery disconnect module that watches battery voltage.
I also got a couple of sonoff basics too and the requirements to flash the tasmota but I've not been pushed to do so yet.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 12:57pm On Aug 22, 2020
mank1234:

Check if this will help:

Thanks

-stored smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 1:35pm On Aug 22, 2020
BetaTechnicians:

Due to not having enough time for automation and my use of a "dumb" inverter that can't speak to software,
To monitor/control freezer load. I used a timer for time of day but due to uncertainty of sun input too, I had to introduce a 24v dc contactor in series with a battery disconnect module that watches battery voltage.
I also got a couple of sonoff basics too and the requirements to flash the tasmota but I've not been pushed to do so yet.

If you've got internet connectivity and don't mind using it for your automation then you can for now use the sonoff basic send node-red without tasmota.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Deluxe8000(m): 4:22pm On Aug 22, 2020
Pls house what suppose to be the cut off load on a charge controller in order not to use the stored energy in the battery?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 6:02pm On Aug 22, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:

The AC is another matter - power consumption to cool a warm to hot room would definitely be higher than average and presupposes that one has a suitable sized inverter and battery bank and a ready power source to replenish whatever was used.

This is one issue that cannot be ignored.

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:28pm On Aug 22, 2020
Deluxe8000:
Pls house what suppose to be the cut off load on a charge controller in order not to use the stored energy in the battery?

Read this five times and I'm still confused, care to rephrase this question?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Deluxe8000(m): 7:24pm On Aug 22, 2020
mctfopt:

Read this five times and I'm still confused, care to rephrase this question?
I have an mppt charge controller that has fully charged my good battery on time. In order to use the excess solar power i want to connect the load terminal on the cc to one dead battery then connect the battery to inverter.
How do i set up the load terminal without using the stored energy in the good battery?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 8:03pm On Aug 22, 2020
Deluxe8000:

I have an mppt charge controller that has fully charged my good battery on time. In order to use the excess solar power i want to connect the load terminal on the cc to one dead battery then connect the battery to inverter.
How do i set up the load terminal without using the stored energy in the good battery?

Some inverter can offer what you want, once battery is full and there is power, then excess power from solar panel is channeled straight for use. Unless you have such feature in your inverter you are then forced to either manually or automatically switch your battery source from the good one to the bad one, but doing this may result in two things, if your solar charge controller is not the type that can work without battery it'll fry when you are changing battery if the PV is not disconnected. Secondly, the inverter will go off when the sun momentarily goes down and the bad battery is not enough to handle the current load.

But why not use the good battery if your PV is properly sized?

As the battery becomes fully charged, the current will taper down to a value which overcomes the small losses in the float condition and the inverter standby load if turned on. If a load is introduced to the inverter the array will divert current to the inverter, as long as the load current dose not exceed the array output, the battery will remain in its fully charged state. If however the load is greater than the array output, the battery will make up the difference thereby discharging in the amount of the deficit the array cannot support.

Care must be taken to ensure the loads don't exceed the arrays ability by too great a margin, each system is different so getting to know what your system can supply is of paramount importance, watching the battery voltage during such loads can give an indication, if the voltage begins to drop, then the battery is being discharged. If you have a clamp on ammeter the current from the array and the load current can be measured to ensure they are close. Passing clouds will sometimes draw current from the battery but if the arrays output is sufficiently sized it will replenish what was taken out, one has to study the system over time to learn it's limitations and maintain a ballance.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BetaTechnicians: 9:04pm On Aug 22, 2020
ojeysky:

If you've got internet connectivity and don't mind using it for your automation then you can for now use the sonoff basic send node-red without tasmota.
does that mean there'll be no need to connect to sonoffs unknown server? (Which is what most people try to achieve with tasmota.)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:26pm On Aug 22, 2020
BetaTechnicians:
does that mean there'll be no need to connect to sonoffs unknown server? (Which is what most people try to achieve with tasmota.)

You certainly will need to connect to Sonoff server, that's why internet is required. That said, unless your iot includes camera I don't see any difference with having an AliExpress or Alibaba account. Infact those are even more risky then a eWelink account. wink
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:31pm On Aug 22, 2020
MC4 connector available, #1,200 per pair. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:33pm On Aug 22, 2020
220Ah 12v Luminuos tubular battery available in stock now, #125,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 12:57am On Aug 23, 2020
Israelicc:

One could even add a smart TV there as well sef and like Oga NiyiOmoIyunade said, be prepared to upgrade your system accordingly.

See toasting o. grin

22 inches TV - not smart though - dey there already. But that AC sha, I can already see what the system upgrade will take. Being on 24v system currently, I think it's best to include it when 48v system comes online which hopefully should be soon.

eleojo23:

You sure say this one no go lead to frequent occurrence of too much salt and burnt rice? Fear Zeeworld! cheesy

Funny enough this has not happened in all the years a TV has been in the kitchen, and expectedly so. Having it in the kitchen will mean not frequently sneaking out to the living room to take peeks at the screen thereby forgetting that there is food on the burner.

I have been deliberate not to introduce my household to Zeeworld, so since contact has not been established, addiction is not present. I actually have that channel and other Indian channels scrambled. Thankfully her busy schedule at workplace precludes the privilege of toying around with different channels on the TV at work thereby coming across Zeeworld and developing interest in it.

But of course Africa magic movies and Movies magic for her and cartoon for the kids is non-negotiable.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Deluxe8000(m): 1:04am On Aug 23, 2020
mctfopt:

Some inverter can offer what you want, once battery is full and there is power, then excess power from solar panel is channeled straight for use. Unless you have such feature in your inverter you are then forced to either manually or automatically switch your battery source from the good one to the bad one, but doing this may result in two things, if your solar charge controller is not the type that can work without battery it'll fry when you are changing battery if the PV is not disconnected. Secondly, the inverter will go off when the sun momentarily goes down and the bad battery is not enough to handle the current load.

But why not use the good battery if your PV is properly sized?

As the battery becomes fully charged, the current will taper down to a value which overcomes the small losses in the float condition and the inverter standby load if turned on. If a load is introduced to the inverter the array will divert current to the inverter, as long as the load current dose not exceed the array output, the battery will remain in its fully charged state. If however the load is greater than the array output, the battery will make up the difference thereby discharging in the amount of the deficit the array cannot support.

Care must be taken to ensure the loads don't exceed the arrays ability by too great a margin, each system is different so getting to know what your system can supply is of paramount importance, watching the battery voltage during such loads can give an indication, if the voltage begins to drop, then the battery is being discharged. If you have a clamp on ammeter the current from the array and the load current can be measured to ensure they are close. Passing clouds will sometimes draw current from the battery but if the arrays output is sufficiently sized it will replenish what was taken out, one has to study the system over time to learn it's limitations and maintain a ballance.
Thanks i appreciate
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 4:36am On Aug 23, 2020
Saipro:

Disable power saving mode, if you haven't
How do I do that?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Israelicc: 5:48am On Aug 23, 2020
Oga Ceaser Sir, no be toasting o cheesy
I'm only stating the obvious and thankfully you have alluded to it. On the AC part, oga Ceaser, just consider it and watch Madam love you forever on another level grin

ceaser:

See toasting o. grin

22 inches TV - not smart though - dey there already. But that AC sha, I can already see what the system upgrade will take. Being on 24v system currently, I think it's best to include it when 48v system comes online which hopefully should be soon.

Funny enough this has not happened in all the years a TV has been in the kitchen, and expectedly so. Having it in the kitchen will mean not frequently sneaking out to the living room to take peeks at the screen thereby forgetting that there is food on the burner.

I have been deliberate not to introduce my household to Zeeworld, so since contact has not been established, addiction is not present. I actually have that channel and other Indian channels scrambled. Thankfully her busy schedule at workplace precludes the privilege of toying around with different channels on the TV at work thereby coming across Zeeworld and developing interest in it.

But of course Africa magic movies and Movies magic for her and cartoon for the kids is non-negotiable.

(1) (2) (3) ... (824) (825) (826) (827) (828) (829) (830) ... (1699) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.