Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,931 members, 7,814,162 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation (1966 Views)

My Home Office - A Guided Walkthrough / How To Get A Custom Disney Cartoon Character Of Yourself / How To Create A Full Cartoon Character Turn Around In Photoshop. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 12:27am On Jul 07, 2017
Had an urgent request for an African toon character, and decided to document the broad steps I employed, and share the process from start to finish.

Duration: 8 hours
STEP 1:
Ideally, I would have created an image plane in all the views but the time constraint for the job prevented this.
This was a same-day delivery job.

We searched Google for similar style images, n picked a few.
I saved the images n used them for inspiration.

Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 12:30am On Jul 07, 2017
STEP 2
Based on the style agreed, the character was to be three heads high (the popular standard for kiddies characters)

I used primitives as guides, and using the measuring utility I marked d different sections of the character with three cubes
Head
Torso
Legs

Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 12:33am On Jul 07, 2017
STEP 3
Referring to the various images and basically free styling, I just modeled the head.
I did my best to keep it as African and toony as I could, without following the stereotypes for African characters.

Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 12:36am On Jul 07, 2017
Once modeling the head, I always use a sphere for the eyeball to aid in shaping the eye sockets.
I have a handy texture that I apply to the eyeball, early in d process.
It helps keep me connected to the character, when we see eyeball to eyeball, lol

STEP 4
The process continued for the torso.
I extruded the arms and the wrist, adding a slight twist to the forearm.

Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 12:46am On Jul 07, 2017
At times I got caught up and would forget to document every step of the process (apologies)

STEP 5, 6 & 7
Because I was giving live feedback to the client, I had to combine texturing with the modeling process.
As soon as I modeled a section of d character, I would create a quick texture and send it off for comments/critique.

Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 12:52am On Jul 07, 2017
Finally, approx 8 hours later I could send off the final render of the character.

Eventually, I will need to work on creating blend shapes for bringing him alive, and create a robust rig for him.
At the moment however, he has fulfilled the first stage of his life and I look forward to further work with him.

If there's particular interest/comments/questions in any part of the process, Id be glad to share/listen or answer.
Thanks for reading!

Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by solepager(m): 7:46am On Jul 07, 2017
are u based in lagos?
Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 8:23am On Jul 07, 2017
Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt.
Lagos is home tho.
Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by africanman85: 7:55am On Jul 08, 2017
OKX:
Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt. Lagos is home tho.
Wats the software used ?
Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by Kalous1(m): 8:55am On Jul 08, 2017
Thats obviously maya right, with mental ray rendering
Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 11:13pm On Jul 08, 2017
Yup.
Maya 2014 and mental ray.

1 Like

Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by nijabazaar: 12:57am On Jul 09, 2017
Where was I ?

just 8 hrs? Wow...

Love it.

can't wait to see the blendshapes.
Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 9:50am On Jul 09, 2017
@Nijabazaar
lol, we both know u don't dig toons as I don't dig realism.

Should start d blendshapes next week if all goes as planned.
Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by africanman85: 1:25pm On Jul 09, 2017
OKX:
@Nijabazaar

Can I achieve this with C4D and after effect ?
Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 1:57pm On Jul 09, 2017
@africanman
Sure u can use Cinema4d to achieve the above, although it's real strength lies in motion graphics.

U don't really need after effects for any of what was shown above, possibly Photoshop to create d textures, but that's about it.

There are tons of YouTube videos showing how to model in Cinema4d.
You could explore them.
Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by nijabazaar: 9:34am On Jul 13, 2017
OKX:
@Nijabazaar

Hahaaha. I really don't love toons . maybe Boss baby
But that does not mean I don't have an eye for a consummate Technical execution when I see one.

1 Like

Re: Walkthrough A Quick 3d Cartoon Character Creation by OKX(m): 11:36am On Jul 13, 2017
@nijabazaar
Thanks man.

Starting d blend shapes this weekend.
Will post progress.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Animate With Integrated Graphics? / Hand Painted Wall Design / Professional 3d Logo Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.