Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? (17894 Views)

Mowe/ibafo Real Estate Boom 3.0! It's Happening, Are You Taking Position? / How Much Will It Cost To Build A 3 Bedroom Flat In Benin City? / Lady Shares Video Of House An Agent Took Her To In Lagos For N300k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by spyroxy1(m): 8:33am On Jul 07, 2017

2 Likes

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by Bisjosh(f): 8:59am On Jul 07, 2017
Buy a land first

Then u start gradually.
If u say u want to wait to have the whole money to buy a house, depreciation of naira comes to mind.

Start today, start from somewhere.

7 Likes

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by shynrichies(m): 9:00am On Jul 07, 2017
hok4u:
It's only the grace of God.

I saw a thread on Nairaland then analysing how much is needed to build,one bedroom,two bedroom and three bedroom bungalows respectively.

I was motivated by that post and it was my wish/dream then to build a befitting house before marriage which Allah granted me.

I planned on the type of house I want to build based on my salary then and relating it to the thread I read and it was done.

Though it's not easy because you have to cut down most of your luxuries,no more going to ozone,no more eating at white house, no more dashing out of money unnecessarily.

Within a year I finished building the house,its all God sha,Alhamdulilah.

Alhamdulillah for the successful completion of your project, it's always easier have blocks on ground before the setting out.
I just got to lintel level for my 3bedroom bungalow. Am just to worried about how and when to get to roofing, plastering, interior decoration. E.T.C

2 Likes

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by nervegasfarts: 9:04am On Jul 07, 2017
1 thing you must understand clearly is that you will be broke, and you will feel broke even when you have money. For the most part, building a house is an emotional thing for most people. You want to build a house that you are comfortable in, that reflects your tastes, that shows who you are to the world. That being said, you will be attracted to materials that are way beyond your budget or income. That is why you will spend all your earnings trying to put love in the house.

Nevertheless, I will confess 1 thing to you. There are very few feelings as good as your first night's sleep in your own house, even if its just 1 room you have yet completed.

10 Likes

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by YoungDaNaval(m): 9:05am On Jul 07, 2017
I never knew there can be an educative thread like this on naira land. I've really learnt a lot from this thread. I spent atleast 5k every weekend for bear. I think it's high time I cutail my spending

3 Likes

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by rhymz(m): 9:12am On Jul 07, 2017
I am currently building a 4-bedroom bungalow in my father's compound in the village, I must tell you my brother it is not an easy venture but it is well worth it. I have spent over 5m and I am close to finishing it.... Just to fix the electrical fittings and some outside finishing.

I would advise you take it stage by stage, although that was not what I did and I almost went broke. I was just putting any money I earned immediately cos I wanted to finish it as quick as possible, so I can concentrate on other ventures.

That gave some of the workers the impression that there was an unlimited money source so they can make preposterous claims. When it came to the tiling stage, I decided to take a leave from work and travelled to the village to get the kind of quality materials I wanted.

Tiling alone cost me about 450k buying everything that is supposed to cover the entire house and the veranda area, this does not include the cost of bags of Cement, sharp sand and labor. The idiot tiler gave a wrong estimate and by the time he was nearing the completion he asked me to buy more tiles to complete parts of the parlor and kitchen, I was mad at him. I asked him to stop right there and I have terminated his job with me, paid him for the one he has done and just left it like that until I am back again in the village to supervise the completion.

Building takes a lot of money and your own supervision else some of these people working will be messing things up just so they can make more money, if you give them money to buy materials without proper supervision, they will just buy substandard materials for you. I went with the tiler and plumber to the market and chose everything myself while they do the bargaining.

At the moment, the kitchen and wardrobes are being fixed, once they are through with that, the next stage is painting and that will be when I travel again to the village.

I don't know about lifestyle though but I am already not the type that is always going out or eating in expensive restaurants. I go to work some times with my own cooked food from home. I am not yet married and my girlfriend also works too, and just like me we are mostly indoors when we are together, so less expenses.

Good luck with it.... Just start and make sure you are serious about seeing it to the end, you will be surprised how far you will go. I started mine December last year and I am almost through.

7 Likes

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:15am On Jul 07, 2017
Please house, I am 24 years old, just finished NYSC. I currently earn between #200,000 to #300,000 monthly from freelancing. I'm not too much of a drinker, neither am I the party type.
Will this be enough to build a 5 bedroom bungalow within 1 year?

3 Likes

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by Capella11(m): 9:21am On Jul 07, 2017
I think thus is absolutely a glamorous thread...
as I'm yet to make money talk less of building a house...
please,somebody should help put me through on what to do to start earning money...
so callous how things is going in the wrong direction for me...
I think I need more people to induce knowledge into my life...
I can't even boast of daily food...

good people of nairaland ...

commenting with opera-mini
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by rhymz(m): 9:32am On Jul 07, 2017
PerfectlyPerfect:
Please house, I am 24 years old, just finished NYSC. I currently earn between #200,000 to #300,000 monthly from freelancing. I'm not too much of a drinker, neither am I the party type.
it will depend on your taste and the type of finishing you want.

For instance, roofing alone cost me about 1.5m to complete. Yet I could have used far less if I had used camoroun zinc.

The total amount I have spent on tiling the entire house including materials and labor is about 700k. I used porcelain tiles for the parlor, ceremic for the rooms, passage and outside porch. For the pillars I used crack wall tiles, they were the most expensive followed by the porcelain tiles. And the kitchen is vitrified tiles for the floor and ceremic for the walls and cabinet.

Another money gulping part is going to be septic tank, you will need Cement, 3 quarter stone sand and sharpsand plus iron for holding the cast top. I spend around 200 on the suck away alone and another 2 hundred for plumbing items.

It all depends on your taste.

1 Like

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by osayuwamwen(m): 9:34am On Jul 07, 2017
PerfectlyPerfect:
bro pls can i hv yr whatsapp number, am interested in the freelancer stuff
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by salesforce: 9:37am On Jul 07, 2017
Alot
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by starlingbawa(m): 9:38am On Jul 07, 2017
I have had to forsake buying a new car just so I can complete the house.

I guess the car and all other luxuries will have to wait for now.....
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by nairaman66(m): 9:39am On Jul 07, 2017
spyder880:

Saving money built me 3 houses even when I was working for salary.

I never said it wasn't possible! Only said it will definitely take you some time.., sometimes many years!
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by erico2k2(m): 9:49am On Jul 07, 2017
funmisticqueen:
Please where can i find the thread, the story is so inspiring.
Go to the property section there are loads of DIY therr and wonderful people to learn from.I supervised my own build from scratch to the stage it is now.
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by erico2k2(m): 9:52am On Jul 07, 2017
nairaman66:

I never said it wasn't possible! Only said it will definitely take you some time.., sometimes many years!
U are still missing the point it might take one 8 years to finish one house it's not how far but how well..u need to save part of your earnings each month to build . Buying of land can be done by loan and pay bck with monthly savings or join coporative
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:52am On Jul 07, 2017
rhymz:
it will depend on your taste and the type of finishing you want.

For instance, roofing alone cost me about 1.5m to complete. Yet I could have used far less if I had used camoroun zinc.

The total amount I have spent on tiling the entire house including materials and labor is about 700k. I used porcelain tiles for the parlor, ceremic for the rooms, passage and outside porch. For the pillars I used crack wall tiles, they were the most expensive followed by the porcelain tiles. And the kitchen is vitrified tiles for the floor and ceremic for the walls and cabinet.

Another money gulping part is going to be septic tank, you will need Cement, 3 quarter stone sand and sharpsand plus iron for holding the cast top. I spend around 200 on the suck away alone and another 2 hundred for plumbing items.

It all depends on your taste.
Wow. Quite pricey. Which means a standard 5 bedroom bungalow will cost nothing less than #10,000,000
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:55am On Jul 07, 2017
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:59am On Jul 07, 2017
osayuwamwen:
bro pls can i hv yr whatsapp number, am interested in the freelancer stuff
Can't drop my number here. You should check this out https://www.nairaland.com/3237273/how-make-regular-income-offering/
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by osayuwamwen(m): 10:02am On Jul 07, 2017
How much is a bundle of cameroon roofing sheet?
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by betruthful: 10:05am On Jul 07, 2017
Ī was thinking like u before somebody gave me a secret. Every successful person has a secret . Though the secret always remains secret.
I was given a six months quits notice without money to get a new house but after the six months, I packed to my own house. I bought 2 plots and build the house within the six months without making any savings.

Now, the secret. There is a common sayings that if you tell a poor man what it will cost him to be rich, he will say make him remains the way he is.
To get money is more spiritual than physical. Physical could be positive or negative.
I followed d positive. I followed a church program that offers 21days prayer and fasting, we were asked to write our needs and be praying on those needs every day of the fast which I did.
Immediately after d fast, contacts started rolling. That was how I built my first house. Now I have a story building.
But this is applicable to those that have given their life to Jesus.

2 Likes

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by Bibi294(f): 10:09am On Jul 07, 2017
edoman2016:
I want to learn from house owners or those that are still building their own house, the sacrifices they took or are taking to have enough money to build their own house. It could be cutting down your lifestyle expenses such as cars, clothing, electronics etc, opening a side business or taking an extra job, or no vacation for the family.

Some of us will like to learn from your experiences on the sacrifices you took before building your house.

Because my parents can't help the landlord's rants, we packed into our house a day after it was plastered. It was not a funny situation when you can't even sleep without putting on Cardigan and using blankets... A situation you have to wet the floor every morning... It was not funny at all...
Its been five years now and our story has changed

1 Like

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by Badgers14: 10:10am On Jul 07, 2017
spyder880:

Saving money built me 3 houses even when I was working for salary.

I might need the contact of your former employer, are they still hiring grin grin
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by Ditala(m): 10:50am On Jul 07, 2017
As an academician, I published text books almost,every year.Each copy, a times cost #1,000 ×1000 copies=#1m × 8 (the number of years it took me to complete the project). The #8m from the sales + #4m bank loan + my #300,000 monthly salary I was able to raised a 3bed room flat(all self contained & a BQ.To be candid,building a house is never easy but with determination,we will make.

1 Like

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by mjay(m): 10:52am On Jul 07, 2017
phayvoursky:
I HAVE NOT BUILT MINE BUT I HAVE MADE SACRIFICES FOR ONE.

OUR THEN RENTED BUILDING WAS BEEN MARKED BY LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT FOR DEMOLITION DURING THE ERA OF FAILED BUILDING COLLAPSE FAR BACK 05/06 AND ALREADY POPSY HAD ACQUIRED PIECE OF LAND AT BADAGRY.

PARENTS CALLED I AND MY 2 SIBLINGS THAT SCHOOL HAS TO BE DROPPED FOR ONE YEAR TO MAKE SURE WE SEE OUR BUILDING TO COMPLETION.

SO WE SKIPPED SCHOOL ONE YEAR, DROPPED THE LUXURY MEALS AND SPENDINGS AND WORK WAS MOVING ON OUR SITE SPEEDILY.

I FOLLOWED MY DAD FROM AJEGUNLE TO BADAGRY ANYTIME WORK WAS TO BE DONE, I OFFERED HELP TOO AS AN UNPAID LABOURER TOO.

LUCKILY THE BUILDING WAS RAISED AND WE PACKED INTO OUR BUILDING LIVING ONLY IN ONE ROOM. WORK WAS STILL ON GOING BUT NOW ON A SLOWER PACE DEPENDING ON WHEN THE MONEY TO EXECUTE IT WAS AVAILABLE.

TO CUT THE LONG STORY SHORT; THE BUILDING IS COMPLETE AND UP TO STANDARD AND I AND MY BROTHERS ARE GRADUATES.

THAT EXPERIENCE THOUGHT ME TWO MAJOR LESSONS: YOU DO NOT NEED A FAT ACCOUNT TO OWN A BUILDING OR PROPERTY AND THERE IS NO STRONGER FORCE LIKE A UNITED FAMILY. MORNING ALL

Very emotional experience, nice that you children understood not many children will appreciate such efforts and sacrifice. Be sure to live by the principles adopted from your parents and your peace of mind is guaranteed.
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by darlenese(f): 10:57am On Jul 07, 2017
determination
patience
modesty
prudence
self control
avoid unnecessary spending. imagine drinking four bags of Cement and a trip of sand all in the name of night clubbing undecided

lastly avoid expensive girls who call themselves slay queen/ pepper them gang, unfortunately if u are married to one, then u might need to work very harder cos all your effort will end up in pancake and wig

1 Like

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by Flashmove: 11:01am On Jul 07, 2017
phayvoursky:

HUT. YOU WAN GOSSIP?
Yes ...i want to make something small for letting out...
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by Naxtrad(m): 11:05am On Jul 07, 2017
I moved to a place where I pay low house rent and now I'm almost done in paying complete for the land in lekki..
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by koolguy88(m): 11:14am On Jul 07, 2017
Large scale rice farming.

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by zygony(m): 11:21am On Jul 07, 2017
nairaman66:
Saving money won't probably get you a house! If it can, it will take you years. A good business deal/contract will.
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by phayvoursky(m): 11:31am On Jul 07, 2017
Flashmove:

Yes ...i want to make something small for letting out...

ITS A THREE BEDROOM BUNGALOW. EACH ROOM WITH TOILET AND BATHROOM. I DONT HAVE THE PIC WITH ME AS I AM FAR AWAY FROM HOME.

1 Like

Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by frixie: 11:37am On Jul 07, 2017
It can be difficult as a young Man to take that step. Looking at the cost of building materials these days, embarking on building project seems to be a rich man exercise.

I got my 100 by 50 land early this year and moulding 10 bags of cement monthly. How long ? I Dont know but I will persist until I succeed. Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail, I will take another, and yet another. In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult... I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertundertaking.
Re: What Sacrifices Are You Taking Or Took To Build Your Own House? by piagetskinner(m): 11:44am On Jul 07, 2017
I love the comments I'm reading here.....

I believe determination is the key to getting anything done....

get a land first maybe 100*50...and then the rest is history

PS, never say u want to collect bank loan, cos ull regret it

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tips For Living On Your Own For The First Time / How The 3 Storey Building Collapsed In Ibadan — Construction Workers / 3-Storey Building Collapses In Kaduna, over 50 trapped.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.