Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,489 members, 7,770,203 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:18 AM

6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss (6291 Views)

Ways In Dealing With A Difficult Boss / How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. / Tips For Dealing With A Difficult Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by Dammie365(f): 5:02pm On Jul 07, 2017
Dealing with a difficult boss can be entirely frustrating, but thankfully there are some ways to successfully put up with it. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 6 ways to put up with a difficult boss.

Understand Their ‘Why’

It easier to deal with a difficult boss when you are able to understand their ‘prime motivations’, that is, the reason they do what they do. The more you understand this, the more you will be able to manage your expectations, deliver the desired results and successfully deal with your difficult boss. Try to figure out what drives your boss; figure out his/her concerns, core values and priorities; try to know understand what he/she cares about; what frightens he/she; what kind of person is he/she; and how does he/she measures success.

Work Around Their Weaknesses

In trying to understand your boss, you’ll gain some insight into his/her weaknesses. When you do, you then need to go a step further and learn to work around such weaknesses and as much as possible, try to make the best of it to favour your work. This because making your boss look bad or going to war with him/her might be very bad for you and damage your reputation. If your boss is disorganized, rather than complaining about it, try to keep things as organized as possible. If your boss is forgetful or slow to respond, ensure you find a way to document all interactions with him/her and continue with your work while you wait to hear back from him/her. Regardless of whatever weakness your boss has, you should settle down, think and try to find a way around it. You almost always will.

Be The Better Person

This will speak a lot for your reputation and do more for you than confronting your boss and letting his/her bad behaviour get to you. Avoid letting your boss’s bad behaviour influence and dictate your own behaviour. As much as possible try to remain respectful and professional, in other words, take the high road. Refuse the temptation to slack off, lose interest or stop performing, all because your boss does so. This is because successfully handling a difficult boss positively sets you apart, and the truth is you never know who’s watching or listening and who you’re impressing with your resilience.

Adapt To Them But Never Cower

Yes, it’s important to observe your boss’s behavioural styles, preferences and pet peeves, and learn to adapt to them by finding ways to deal with them, but you are not to lose your sense of independence and allow your boss bully you and make you cower in fear. You must always stand firm, keep your head held high and refuse to let your boss push you around. Just make sure you do the best job you can, ask questions where you need to and try to understand and mitigate difficult situations, but never cower in fear to your boss or allow your boss make you lose your temper.

You Can Try To Talk To Them

Sometimes, your boss might not mean to be such a nightmare, he/she might not even know that they are doing anything wrong. Just remember that there is an option of voicing your concerns to your boss and engaging in a mature conversation about how the situation can be improved. Avoid being judgmental and assuming your boss can’t take feedback or just doesn’t care. The only thing you need to be mindful of here is the personality type of your boss, that is, how mature he/she is to handle being talked to and worked with to find ways to move forward with the situation.

Escalate

If the situation with your boss is beyond bad and your boss’s behaviour has become not only difficult but even abusive, it might be advisable to report to the management. However, you should try as much as possible to let this be the last resort after you’ve tried all else.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by dangote7510(m): 8:13am On Jul 09, 2017
Struggling to be the boss.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by Ekakamba: 8:13am On Jul 09, 2017
Nice one OP but you can't please some godforsaken bosses even if you cut off your man/womanhood.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by managersam: 8:13am On Jul 09, 2017
Hgfd

1 Like

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by managersam: 8:13am On Jul 09, 2017
7, contact EVANS! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by ugo13(m): 8:14am On Jul 09, 2017
Escalate and get yourself fired.

1 Like

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by emeksdonalds(m): 8:15am On Jul 09, 2017
Yeah sometimes even if u try all these, no matter how hard you try, Ut still can't be addressed.... Obnoxious once are the worst of them.. FTC..
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by Heromaniaa: 8:15am On Jul 09, 2017
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by OsuGanja(m): 8:15am On Jul 09, 2017
i go beat up my boss if he gets on me nerve then walk dafuq out and start my own business..Ps i still be student,i no plan do 9-5 work..Hian...II cant be paid to let my dreams go

2 Likes

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by Horlawale1(m): 8:17am On Jul 09, 2017
Cool
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by enniewelt(m): 8:17am On Jul 09, 2017
Lemme be honest with you...majority don't quit jobs they quit bosses,except you are an intern you have to put up with the boss pending you acquire the precious knowledge you seek...

2 Likes

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by macaranta(m): 8:17am On Jul 09, 2017
Nice points
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by dhope001(m): 8:18am On Jul 09, 2017

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by maxiuc(m): 8:22am On Jul 09, 2017
Mine is smile

I smile despite whatever he does to me

Smile weather good or bad

That's my key

And today he is afraid of me

Your Smile even to your enemies can make them miss step

Start smiling today no matter the situation

9 Likes

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by Olasco93: 8:23am On Jul 09, 2017
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by Edum13656: 8:25am On Jul 09, 2017
dangote7510:
Struggling to be the boss.
great Serena!
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by BetterChurch: 8:28am On Jul 09, 2017
Well some helpful points
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by labanji(m): 8:33am On Jul 09, 2017
Threaten him with Evans the Kidnapper

1 Like

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by oshe11: 8:36am On Jul 09, 2017
use him for ritual
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by Meel: 8:48am On Jul 09, 2017
interning at a place now, my boss is fucking annoying.
He believes I know all the equipment, whenever he say, bring something and I don't know it, he keeps embarrassing me in front of clients. Always saying am not using my initiative, and whenever I use my initiative, he says am too forward.

I can't ask question, always telling me to read up.

Have to keep up with him, for the main time.

1 Like

Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 09, 2017
maxiuc:
Mine is smile

That's my key

it works on both sides as a boss or a worker when u smile u weaken dem
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by Afonjanightmare(m): 12:33pm On Jul 09, 2017
maxiuc:
Mine is smile

That's my key

Oga , talk is cheap, you've not encountered a wicked boss, make i stop here, smile ko, laugh ni
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by tk4rd: 3:46pm On Jul 09, 2017
Nice Post @Op..
maxiuc:
Mine is smile

That's my key

Very Nice Bro...
Meanwhile,, pray you don't find yourself under a really difficult boss..
They don't have Joy at-all.!!
Re: 6 Solid Ways To Put Up With A Difficult Boss by ArcToyin(m): 4:54pm On Jul 29, 2017
Afonjanightmare:
Oga , talk is cheap, you've not encountered a wicked boss, make i stop here, smile ko, laugh ni
With smile, he is absorbing all insults and ill treatments and counting them as nought.

(1) (Reply)

Checkout Nigerian Police Ranks And Salaries – See What IGP And The Rest Make / Your Experience As A Sales Man / The Nigeria Immigration Service Has Promoted 8821 Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.