Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,403 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. (12457 Views)

Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss / Five Tips For Working With Difficult People / Dealing With Difficult People Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by magazineguy(m): 8:37am On Mar 09, 2018
The beautiful thing about the life we live is the different temperaments that we are exposed to at the work place, home and even in public spaces. It really takes grace and understanding to handle everyone and still maintain ones sanity.

Life has taught me that everyone has their own individual temperaments and to get through life you need to find a way to manage these temperaments. The work place comes with its own type of stress but to get through it you need as little stress as you can get to make great productivity at the workplace. Difficult people defy logic, some are blissfully unaware of the negative impact that they have on those around them, and others seem to derive satisfaction from creating chaos and pushing other people’s buttons. Either way, they create unnecessary complexity, strife, and worst of all stress.

Here are my top tips to handle difficult to manage people at your workplace. The last is my personal favourite.

Set Boundaries

If it’s over familiarity, cut it and keep it strictly business. Keep your distance and remove any emotional sentiments you have associated to the person. Difficult people can act out irrationally, so don’t put yourself in a situation where you have to be trapped and become the person’s dump.

Be Calm

Don’t let people bring out the demon in you. Remain calm even when there is a storm on the horizon. Because if you reduce your self to the person’s level and start to complain based on the person’s reaction towards you, you both start to argue, anyone looking form the outside won’t tell the fool apart. Hold your peace.

Make sure it’s not you

It’s really easy to judge and point the finger and say that person or the other is difficult. Check yourself and ask from people around. If you are the one with the problem, the one who like to create tension or chaos then fix it. Resolve whatever bottled up problem you have and stop frustrating people around you. If its not you, then continue reading.

Live to fight another day

Don’t die in the fight. Smart people know how important it is to live to fight another day, especially when your foe is a toxic individual. In conflict, unchecked emotion makes you dig your heels in and fight the kind of battle that can leave you severely damaged. When you read and respond to your emotions, you’re able to choose your battles wisely and only stand your ground when the time is right.

Ignore

Now this is my personal best. Nothing wins more than ignoring people so much they wear themselves out. Now if you have tried it all and it all don’t hold water, ignore them like they are non-existent. Get on your daily tasks and interact with the person only when needed. Of course, this isn’t feasible in cases where the person plays a critical role in your work. So tread lightly especially with managers.

Finally, before you get this system to work brilliantly, you’re going to have to pass some tests. Most of the time, you will find yourself tested by touchy interactions with problem people. Thankfully, the plasticity of the brain allows it to mould and change as you practice new behaviours, even when you fail. Implementing these healthy, stress-relieving techniques for dealing with difficult people will train your brain to handle stress more effectively and decrease the likelihood of ill repercussions.

Source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/work-difficult-people-still-maintain/

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Benjom(m): 12:15pm On Mar 09, 2018
Most revolves around "Patience"... and that's the key.

The fastest way to a new job is with a new and AWESOME CV. Here are catchy samples and job practice questions/answers for your use: https://.com/cv-samples/

6 Likes

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by cr7lomo: 12:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
No comment and it's on fp
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by olayemi85(m): 12:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
OK, ma fi sokan

1 Like

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by bobokeshington: 12:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
everybody for 9ja dey para gan ni o

1 Like

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
If you can maintain your cool on nairaland, this shouldn't be difficult.

5 Likes

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Alphamale101(m): 12:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
True talk but cant work in this country
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Nobody: 12:18pm On Mar 09, 2018
You can't work with difficult people and still retain your sanity. Forget it. you're bound to lose it at some point

5 Likes

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by teemanbastos(m): 12:18pm On Mar 09, 2018
The best way to walk with difficult people lies in being emotionally intelligent.
You have to be unselfish, and act lowly..
If not... You can't oo.
It's an added grace to do so tho'...
Across the walks of life.. We meet people with entirely different attitudes and characters, except we ourselves have been trained to be TOLERANT, we may likely find problems interacting

1 Like

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by pero45: 12:19pm On Mar 09, 2018
Mtchww

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by nawtyme: 12:19pm On Mar 09, 2018
This will not work in Nigeria ooo. I tried to be cool but had to resign.
Right now what ever you do to me, I would keep records and retaliate in such a way that the devil will be shocked.
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by University123: 12:19pm On Mar 09, 2018
Good write up. Nice one

3 Likes

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Authoreety: 12:20pm On Mar 09, 2018
D difficult people are even the ones that think u are difficult

5 Likes

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by yuh2(m): 12:21pm On Mar 09, 2018
Blessings follow you @magazineguy for this..
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by bobokeshington: 12:21pm On Mar 09, 2018
Benjom:
Most revolves around "Patience"... and that's the key.

This naija economy & Buhari regime no dey make person get " patience " again o....

you mistakenly step on someone, o boy na slap go follow

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by AdoredLadyvida: 12:21pm On Mar 09, 2018
Just focus on ur Job,And Avoid their Madness

I won't allow any frustrated person to pull me down. anywhere.
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Gentledammie(m): 12:22pm On Mar 09, 2018
See wash from daddy freeze to samklef

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by MaeBlocks(f): 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2018
Nice post.
Being calm and ignoring has always worked very well for me.
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Ejomax77(m): 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2018
Seen
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Nobody: 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2018
Difficult people like Ceecee ryt
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by misterchris(m): 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2018
What of difficult family?
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by jashar(f): 12:26pm On Mar 09, 2018
it gets more frustrating when the office is a small office...

1 Like

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by misterchris(m): 12:26pm On Mar 09, 2018
nawtyme:
Right now what ever you do to me, I would keep records and retaliate in such a way that the devil will be shocked.

Dont be wicked. Do am small small.
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Gentledammie(m): 12:33pm On Mar 09, 2018
Wash from daddy freeze to samklef
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Nobody: 12:41pm On Mar 09, 2018
AntiBrutus:
If you can maintain your cool on nairaland, this shouldn't be difficult.

Damn, you people think very highly of nairaland tho. So you think maintaining ones cool on nairaland makes you think you have good self control?

I laugh cheesy
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by LordKO(m): 12:43pm On Mar 09, 2018
Libertarianism is the major attribute one must possess in order to achieve sanity (dominion and dignity) - one who's in charge of her dominion and dignity automatically has sanity. And of course, a libertarian doesn't domineer others, but has his principles intact and set-up which must be conformed to by anyone that chooses to associate with him.

The difference between those who've their sanity intact and those who don't, is that while the former conquered themselves without needing to conquer the world and love the world without hating themselves, the latter tend not to conquer themselves but strive to conquer the world and love themselves while hating the world.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by debolayinka(m): 12:45pm On Mar 09, 2018
I love the last point. Just ignore!
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by Igba123: 12:53pm On Mar 09, 2018
One common trait with all difficult ppl is 'feeling of insecurity'. Working supriors like these requires tactfulness and humility to keep their ego frm being drained.
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by boyjo: 12:56pm On Mar 09, 2018
nawtyme:

Hahaha..
Re: How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. by slavemerchant: 1:03pm On Mar 09, 2018
pero45:
Mtchww

This is an example of a difficult person

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost To Start A Music Career In Nigeria / How Can I Assist My Father Recover What Was Stolen From Him By The Government? / Certification Or Degree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.