Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,950 members, 7,824,978 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Scriptures In The Old Testament Christ Used To Resist The Devil - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Scriptures In The Old Testament Christ Used To Resist The Devil (396 Views)

Some Scriptures In The Bible Are Senseless And Stupid – Pastor Mensah Otabil / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? / Something On The Use Of Scriptures In Online Forums. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Scriptures In The Old Testament Christ Used To Resist The Devil by salvationproject(m): 3:45pm On Jul 09, 2017
MyCampusDaily special Sunday research is dedicated to all our Christian brothers and even Muslims who in one way or the other believe in the stories about the Man(Jesus Christ).Today we shall be highlighting the scripture reference Jesus used in resisting the Devil.
I know that as a Christian,there must have been sometime you read Matt. 4(story of Jesus temptation) and you were confused i.e of where He was referencing to when He usually say "for it is written",Today this post shall answer that.
1.Devil:if you are the son of God,tell/turn this stone into bread(Matt. 4:3)
Jesus:it is written(Deut. 8:3),man shall not live by bread alone but on every word from God mouth(Matt. 4:4)
2.Devil:if you are the son of God,throw yourself down(Matt. 4:6)
Jesus:it is also written(Deut. 6:16),do not put your God to test(Matt. 4:7)
3.Devil:all this i will give to you if you bow down and worship me,say the tempter(Matt. 4:9)
Jesus:away from me Satan!for it is written(Deut. 6:13),worship the Lord your God and serve Him only(Matt. 4:10).
Conclusion:This proof of Christ exact words in the old testament leaves Christians with another character of Christ and that is studying the word of God but note Satan do study the scripture as well,this can be seen in Matt.4:6 where He was quoting from Psalm 91:11.
Cheers.
Read more on www.mycampusdaily..co.ke/2017/07/mycampusdaily-researchscriptures-in-old.html?m=0
Re: Scriptures In The Old Testament Christ Used To Resist The Devil by Kobojunkie: 3:33pm On Mar 21
salvationproject:
■ MyCampusDaily special Sunday research is dedicated to all our Christian brothers and even Muslims who in one way or the other believe in the stories about the Man(Jesus Christ).Today we shall be highlighting the scripture reference Jesus used in resisting the Devil.
I know that as a Christian,there must have been sometime you read Matt. 4(story of Jesus temptation) and you were confused i.e of where He was referencing to when He usually say "for it is written",Today this post shall answer that.
1.Devil:if you are the son of God,tell/turn this stone into bread(Matt. 4:3)
Jesus:it is written (Deut. 8:3),man shall not live by bread alone but on every word from God mouth(Matt. 4:4)
2.Devil:if you are the son of God,throw yourself down(Matt. 4:6)
Jesus:it is also written (Deut. 6:16),do not put your God to test(Matt. 4:7)
3.Devil:all this i will give to you if you bow down and worship me,say the tempter(Matt. 4:9)
Jesus:away from me Satan! for it is written(Deut. 6:13),worship the Lord your God and serve Him only(Matt. 4:10).
Conclusion:This proof of Christ exact words in the old testament leaves Christians with another character of Christ and that is studying the word of God but note Satan do study the scripture as well,this can be seen in Matt.4:6 where He was quoting from Psalm 91:11.
What does it mean to "resist the Devil" since in the particular case you have identified the Devil did not go away even as Christ invoked the various commandments written in the Law of Moses against the Devil's every attempt to tempt the person of Jesus Christ? undecided

Adherents of the religion of Christianity like to pretend that resisting the Devil means making the Devil run away from them, and they claim they can achieve this by quoting random Scripture at the one they call the Devil. That claim is false as the longer a person holds to Christianity the more certain the person becomes of the Devil is to blame for all that could ever go wrong in his/her life. (The Devil never seems to go away from Christians.) This indicates that what Christians believe it means to "resist the Devil" is a scam that seems to turn their minds against them.

So, from the example of Jesus Christ, what does it mean to resist the Devil? In Matthew 4, Jesus Christ showed by way of His example how it is only through obedience to the Law and commandments of God that one can overcome the various whims of the Devil — temptation, to be exact. Yes, God's mandate to men is obedience to His Law, and it is only through obedience to what the Law says that one can resist the temptation of the Devil. In His attempt to overcome the temptation of the Devil — resist the Devil—Jesus Christ focused on the contents of God's Law in obedience. Jesus Christ did not invoke or burst into an incantation of random sayings or verses spoken by men in Scripture. Rather, Jesus Christ acted in obedience to the commandments and teachings of God Himself written right in the Law of Moses. And by doing this, He was able to obey God's commandments, and overcome the temptation to disobey — fall to the temptation of the Devil. In following the example of Jesus Christ, one can surmise that to resist the Devil means to obey the actual details of God's Law — the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ for those who are of the Kingdom of God —as a way of resisting temptation brought on by the Devil. undecided

Contrary to the Christian idea, resisting the Devil does not cause the Devil to run away from one. Rather, resisting the Devil as Jesus Christ did causes one to continue to walk obediently according to God's Law and Truth. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Warns Members Against Offering Local Currencies, Dollars, Pounds / What Does The Bible Says About Drinking Little Water While Fasting / Another Church In Anambra State Attacked By An Unknown Gunmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.