Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? (7213 Views)

Ever Made Okra Soup With Turkey,then Try This! / A Nairalander Cooking Okra Soup / Tips To Cook A Cheap, But A Classics Okra Soup Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by madlady(f): 10:08pm On Feb 01, 2010
I have just been given a bag load of very fresh Okra. Any suggestions on what and how I can use them.
My Mother does not like them, too slimey undecided for her and my Cousin thinks they are from out of space embarassed

I do not like HOT pepper and I really do not want to add any meat kind to it, all suggestions greatly received kiss

I forgot to say the bag weighs 5lbs shocked
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by mohawkchic(f): 3:58am On Feb 02, 2010
~You plan on having Okra recipes for the next month?

~You prolly know they wont keep for long right?. . .keeping them refrigerated will only last a few days the most & still be fresh. . once they start going limp or have /black/brown marks it dont look edible at all!!

~Lots of recipes online. . depends how you like you okra. . .You can add to soups,stews,rice,casseroles. . . .Grill/Stir-fry/Steam  .
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by madlady(f): 8:22am On Feb 02, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked I had no idea the shelf life would be so short, no wonder the guy gave them to me.

My Mother use to cook them for my dad, they always looked so slimy so I never ate any.
The funny thing is my sis-in-law who is Nigerian did this fab dish with them, looked like they had been stir fried with sweet red peppers but they were not a bit oily.Anyway I try to avoid cooking with oil.

@mohawchic, thanks for telling me this kiss, I will not even waste time looking for a recipe, I shall steam all of them tonight, I will then puree the lot and turn it into a soup.

Detox week hear I come wink
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by mohawkchic(f): 7:14pm On Feb 02, 2010
~I grew up eating pushing Okra Soup w/ rice around my plate. .that was before i tried it w/ FuFu! I wudnt say it's one of my fav sauces from back home but i'm likely to indulge & pig out especially when cooked w/ FuFu/Pounded yam.Its a local sauce from Sierra Leone. . .the ends are usually removed and sliced in cross-sections/finely chopped or blended,can be cooked w/ o r without palmoil & usually eaten with either Rice or Fufu. .

~I've had finely chopped stir-fry okra stew w/ Rice. . .i was pleasantly surprised by how yummy it tasted!
[img]http://4.bp..com/_ftp0Amqk9Kg/SoG8ktkG3wI/AAAAAAAAAOI/gGzjRBxQlOs/s400/IMG_1511.JPG[/img]

~Check out link for Beef Okra Soup recipe & Pics: Recipe is very much different to mine tho : http://tinybuttons./tag/africa/

~I've thought of asking the store where i usually buy Okra how they keep their supply fresh. . .
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by madlady(f): 7:50pm On Feb 02, 2010
@mohawkchic, Thank you smiley

The sauce you spoke about, would I just steam the top/ tailed and diced oka and then blend?

I like the sound of that, it would be thick like a puree, I could then freeze some in containers, or I may just make the whole lot  into a very healthy soup with garlic and rock salt.

Funnily enough I never see oka in the supermarket, maybe because I am not looking for it undecided, but I  do see it in some tiny local stores but it always looks as you said brownish and limp, short shelf life as you pointed out.

Actually I am looking forward to trying something new.
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by mohawkchic(f): 10:41pm On Feb 02, 2010
~No Woories ML I cut off & throw away the head & tail of the Okra. . dice just like pic attached in previous post. . if i want the sauce to thicken,i blend a lil bit. . . .
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by Fhemmmy: 3:33am On Feb 03, 2010
Okra Ogbono
Okra with veggie
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by madlady(f): 8:21am On Feb 05, 2010
mohawkchic:

~No Woories ML I cut off & throw away the head & tail of the Okra. . dice just like pic attached in previous post. . if i want the sauce to thicken,i blend a lil bit. . . .

Your sauce recipe is wonderful, LOVE LOVE it, even had it on wholemeal bread last night. I will cook okra all the time now, just wish it did not have the slimey thing going on, but I ate with light off while watching the TV embarassed Thank you very much.

ps it's got some really great nutritional benefits and way better than bottle sauce

@Fhemmmy, Okra with veggie that sounds really great, I will have it with grilled Plantain tonight. Thank you.
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by mohawkchic(f): 6:40pm On Feb 06, 2010
~YW ML I hear you on the slimey,i tend to swallow more,chew less. . why i like w/ Fufu/Pounded yam. . .

~Got to say i've never tried it w/ Bread. . my Mam's got a friend from Haiti who  pretty much drinks it on it's own. . she doesnt like it w/ nuffin else. . . I still shudder thinking about it,much less trying to conjour an image of her doing so. . .
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by Fhemmmy: 7:12pm On Feb 10, 2010
madlady:

@Fhemmmy, Okra with veggie that sounds really great, I will have it with grilled Plantain tonight. Thank you.

How was it?
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by madlady(f): 7:24pm On Feb 10, 2010
@Fhemmmy, lovely, all 5lbs of Okra gone embarassed, and I did not share it with a single person.
Grilled the plantains and put garlic and rock salt in the Okra, DELICIOUS. Thank you.
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by Fhemmmy: 7:50pm On Feb 10, 2010
madlady:

@Fhemmmy, lovely, all 5lbs of Okra gone embarassed, and I did not share it with a single person.
Grilled the plantains and put garlic and rock salt in the Okra, DELICIOUS. Thank you.

kai . . . .see how persin dey describe food, u like better thing sha . . .good for you
Re: Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? by agathamari(f): 4:09pm On Feb 28, 2010
slice it, bread it and fry it

(1) (Reply)

What Is Pumpkin Seed Called Locally In Nigeria? / NAFDAC Workers Suspend Strike / Post Your Review About Chicken Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.