Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,445 members, 7,843,367 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Egypt Coach Hassan Shehata Reveals Nigeria Approach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Egypt Coach Hassan Shehata Reveals Nigeria Approach (583 Views)

CAF Disqualified Egypt, Hands Ticket To Nigeria / Super Eagles Depart For Egypt Ahead Of Qualifier Match (Photos) / CAF Reveals 2013 AFCON Teams And Draw Seeding!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egypt Coach Hassan Shehata Reveals Nigeria Approach by kaaz(m): 6:05am On Feb 02, 2010
Egypt coach Hassan Shehata claims he has been approached by Nigeria to lead them at the World Cup in June.

Shehata revealed he had been offered the post on a temporary basis, after leading Egypt to their third successive Africa Cup of Nations title on Sunday.

Nigeria were criticised for their performances on the way to finishing third in Angola under Shaibu Amodu.

"They expressed interest in hiring me to take charge during the World Cup," Shehata told TV station Modern Sport.

The 60-year-old also revealed the approach to at least one other Egyptian TV station and it was widely reported in the country's media on Monday.

Shehata added that the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) had approached both he and the Egyptian FA, but emphasised that the ultimate decision lay with his employers.

"It will be a great honour for me to work [at] the World Cup," he said.

"But the Egyptian FA will have the final word on whether I could work with Nigeria on a temporary basis."

Egypt themselves narrowly missed out on a place at the World Cup after losing out to rivals Algeria in a play-off in Sudan in November.

Shehata is under contract with Egypt until 2012 and is well regarded across the continent.

Amodu himself refused to be drawn on whether he will still be in charge of the Super Eagles at the World Cup in South Africa, following his team's exit from the Nations Cup.

NFF president Sani Lulu Abdullahi confirmed last week that the Nigerians will be carrying out a full review of the team and its organisation - including the coach - in the coming weeks.

Re: Egypt Coach Hassan Shehata Reveals Nigeria Approach by agabaI23(m): 6:10am On Feb 02, 2010
He is a good coach no doubt but he could not qualify his team for the world cup. It seems ridiculous to me.
Re: Egypt Coach Hassan Shehata Reveals Nigeria Approach by kaaz(m): 6:18am On Feb 02, 2010
He is a good coach i think he will perform more than amodu
Re: Egypt Coach Hassan Shehata Reveals Nigeria Approach by agabaI23(m): 6:19am On Feb 02, 2010
No routing for Amodu.

(1) (Reply)

.:| NFF DEMOTE AMODU |:. / What Is The Point Of The Clamour For Foreign Coach / Must Someone Be A Soccer Veteran Before Coaching A Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.