Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,533 members, 7,954,996 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:00 PM

4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE (1818 Views)

President Buhari Receives Governor Hope Uzodinma Of Imo State / Dangote Receives Governor Ihedioha In Lagos (Photos) / Bola Tinubu Receives Governor Aregbesola And Oyetola After Apc's Victory. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by Opinedecandid(m): 4:28pm On Jul 10, 2017
Today, the Asan Ibibio, the Ancestral home of the Ibibio nation which prides itself as the fourth largest ethnic conglomerate in Nigeria was agog with pomp and ceremony as Governor Udom Gabriel Emmanuel was received and endorsed for a second term

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by Mynd44: 4:45pm On Jul 10, 2017
Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by ChimaAdeoye: 5:32pm On Jul 10, 2017
Nigeria is the world leader in fraudulent data.

After its break up, the eorld eill be dismayed that its total population vould havr been less than 100 million especially in tbe north where goats and chicken are part of the number officially reported for Nigeria just to steal from other people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HopeAtHand: 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2017
ChimaAdeoye:
Nigeria is the world leader in fraudulent data.

After its break up, the eorld eill be dismayed that its total population vould havr been less than 100 million especially in tbe north where goats and chicken are part of the number officially reported for Nigeria just to steal from other people.

When it comes to fraudulent population figures, you have to give it to the Ijaws.

Ijaws were 4million in 2006, 10million in 2010, 14million in 2014... now Ijaws claim to be 10% of Nigerian population.

But you cannot meet any random Ijaw person on the road like you meet the IGBO, Hausa, Yoruba or Efik/Ibibio.

6 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by Afam4eva(m): 8:47pm On Jul 10, 2017
HopeAtHand:

When it comes to fraudulent population figures, you have to give it to the Ijaws.

Ijaws were 4million in 2006, 10million in 2010, 14million in 2014... now Ijaws claim to be 10% of Nigerian population.

But you cannot meet any random Ijaw person on the road like you meet the IGBO, Hausa, Yoruba or Efik/Ibibio.
I've always maintained that this is actually the best way to know who has more population especially among the minorities. I see Efik/Ibio people every other day. Same with Edo and Urhobo people. But Ijaws, i really have to come to Port-hacourt or somewhere around there to see them. Abi, is it that they just don't travel out to other states like other Nigerians. I don't think Ijaw people are more than 2.5 million both those at home and abroad.

4 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by PDJT: 8:49pm On Jul 10, 2017
-I thought the 4th largest could be Fula people. Any Ibibio here to give us an estimate of their national population?

-I'm yet to meet an Ijaw, though. Ijaw can't be that many to outnumber Ibibio Nation.

-Just before the civil war, the estimate of all the "minorities" stood at about five million, according to Suzanne Cronje, one of the most prolific journalists on the Nigeria-Biafra war.

1 Like

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by Agumbankembu: 8:56pm On Jul 10, 2017
PDJT:
-I thought the 4th largest could be Fula people. Any Ibibio here to give us an estimate of their national population?

-I'm yet to meet an Ijaw, though. Ijaw can't be that many to outnumber Ibibio Nation.

I only met an Ijaw once outside PH, but outside Akwa Ibom, I always see Ibibio/Annangs everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HopeAtHand: 9:02pm On Jul 10, 2017
Afam4eva:

I've always maintained that this is actually the best way to know who has more population especially among the minorities. I see Efik/Ibio people every other day. Same with Edo and Urhobo people. But Ijaws, i really have to come to Port-hacourt or somewhere around there to see them. Abi, is it that they just don't travel out to other states like other Nigerians. I don't think Ijaw people are more than 2.5 million both those at home and abroad.

The level of deceit is something else.

before Bayelsa was created out of Rivers, they gave us the impression that the area that is Bayelsa now was 8times more populated than the other ethnicities combined. No matter the election results from our area, their own figures always tripled ours.

Now Bayelsa was created and population census was done, we were all in shock at the figures for Bayelsa. It was a huge slap. A people with very low population of 1.5million thereabout defeating an area of over 5million repeatedly. They shamelessly doctored everything until they became exposed.. and a friend of mine who is Bayelsan told me that if not for how they doctored their census figures they would have barely clocked 1million. That he thumbprinted his 10fingers and 10toes. He alone thumbprinted for 10families.. pure deceit, that is why your hardly point out an Ijaw because they are very few.

4 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by gmaribel(m): 9:04pm On Jul 10, 2017
Agumbankembu:

I only met an Ijaw once outside PH, but outside Akwa Ibom, I always see Ibibio/Annangs everywhere.

Exactly I stay in Abuja I have met some Ijaws but not as much as the Ibibios or Annangs you see these ones every where.

3 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by Afam4eva(m): 9:11pm On Jul 10, 2017
HopeAtHand:

before Bayelsa was created out of Rivers, they gave us the impression that the area that is Bayelsa now was 8times more populated than the other ethnicities combined. No matter the election results from our area, their own figures always tripled ours.

Now Bayelsa was created and population census was done, we were all in shock at the figures for Bayelsa. It was a huge slap. A people with very low population of 1.5million thereabout defeating an area of over 5million repeatedly. They shamelessly doctored everything until they became exposed.. and a friend of mine who is Bayelsan told me that if not for how they doctored their census figures they would have barely clocked 1million. That he thumbprinted his 10fingers and 10toes. He alone thumbprinted for 10families.. pure deceit, that is why your hardly point out an Ijaw because they are very few.
I think it's because they live on water, so we don't get to see them often or not tongue

The 4th largest groups should be the conglomeration of Efik/Ibibio/Annang but unfortunately, they have decided to be kknown as different groups which is a disadvantage for them. The Gwari people that are found in Abuja, Niger, kaduna etc could even be more than the Ijaws.

3 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by PDJT: 9:15pm On Jul 10, 2017
Agumbankembu:

-I was made to understand Ijaw are mainly rural dwellers due to decades of neglect by Nigerian govt. but a few of them that made it out never look back. Hence, why one of them wrote an article not too long ago asserting that "no serious Ijaw live in Ijawland", which is really sad. This is why I still have no words to describe that man called Jonathan.

-I have only met one Ogoni, a proud one as well. This was many years ago, it was from him I first heard "The Sun rise from the East", but he always end it by saying: "We don't care where it sets", with his wild laughter. Very jovial, man.
Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HarryDuce(m): 9:26pm On Jul 10, 2017
I don't know about the Ijaws being the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria though, but i can tell you they are more than 10 million. The Ijaws are not like the Igbo or Yoruba which you can easily identity by their speech, language, name or any other means. In reality, only the Ijaws of Bayelsa and Delta refer to themselves as solely Ijaw. Others prefer to identify with their clan, like the Okrikans Ibani's and kalabari. So you might have come across an Ijaw person without realising it.

And their names of course (especially their surnames) are English names in most cases.

1 Like

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HopeAtHand: 9:28pm On Jul 10, 2017
Afam4eva:

I think it's because they live on water, so we don't get to see them often or not tongue.

In earnest, the NIGER DELTA areas inhabited by Ijaws are the most terrible places one can live on in this south.. Flooded, swampy, mangroove. Ijaws are really trying to live in such kind of environment. Those environment because if it's nature are usually the least populated and can only be inhabited by water people..To feel at home in that kind of environment takes the grace of God.
Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by senatordave1(m): 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2017
The fourth largest group is not the ibibios,it should be the fulanis if detached from the hausas.the ibibios are a different ethnic group from the oron,annang or efiks but can be the fourth largest if lumped together.they are widely travelled like the 3 major groups and are ubiquitous unlike the ijaws who prefer to operate low key and remain in their riverine homelands.the ijaws should number about not more than four million which makes them more than the ibibios who number about 2million.the kanuris who number over 5million are even more than the ijaws.
Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HopeAtHand: 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2017
HarryDuce:
I don't know about the Ijaws being the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria though, but i can tell you they are more than 10 million. The Ijaws are not like the Igbo or Yoruba which you can easily identity by their speech, language, name or any other means. In reality, only the Ijaws of Bayelsa and Delta refer to themselves as solely Ijaw. Others prefer to identify with their clan, like the Okrikans Ibani's and kalabari. So you might have come across an Ijaw person without realising it.

And their names of course (especially their surname) are English names in most cases.

In your opinion, what is the relative population of Ijaws in Rivers and Delta.. already we know Bayelsa figures.
Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by senatordave1(m): 9:31pm On Jul 10, 2017
HopeAtHand:

Thats how them and river state inflated their votes during the 2015 polls for their son
Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HopeAtHand: 9:33pm On Jul 10, 2017
PDJT:

-I was made to understand Ijaw are mainly rural dwellers due to decades of neglect by Nigerian govt. but a few of them that made it out never look back. Hence, why one of them wrote an article not too long ago asserting that "no serious Ijaw live in Ijawland", which is really sad. This is why I still have no words to describe that man called Jonathan.

-I have only met one Ogoni, a proud one as well. This was many years ago, it was from him I first heard "The Sun rise from the East", but he always end it by saying: "We don't care where it sets", with his wild laughter. Very jovial, man.

Nice one @bolded... As for Jonathan, you're not the only one who lacks word to describe him.

2 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by senatordave1(m): 9:37pm On Jul 10, 2017
HopeAtHand:

In your opinion, what is the relative population of Ijaws in Rivers and Delta.. already we know Bayelsa figures.
In rivers state,i think they are about 1million being the second largest group after the ikwerres and other ibi speaking groups.in delta state,they should be about 500,000.they inhabit burutu,bomadi,patani lgas and some parts of warri south west and warri north lgas.in ondo,they can be found in ese odo and ilaje lgas and should not exceed 400,000.in akwa ibom state,they are found only in eastern obolo and in edo state in akoko edo and gelegele
Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HopeAtHand: 9:37pm On Jul 10, 2017
senatordave1:

Thats how them and river state inflated their votes during the 2015 polls for their son

Bayelsa had low figures...as for Rivers election results, Wike showed Nigerians, firsthand, how corrupt and manipulative he can be. The Rivers Returning officer had to dramatise the whole affair. It was indeed a show of shame. It's not dat Rivers didn't have the voter population, the general turn out didn't deserve such results.

1 Like

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HopeAtHand: 9:39pm On Jul 10, 2017
senatordave1:

In rivers state,i think they are about 1million being the second largest group after the ikwerres and other ibi speaking groups.in delta state,they should be about 500,000.they inhabit burutu,bomadi,patani lgas and some parts of warri south west and warri north lgas.in ondo,they can be found in ese odo and ilaje lgas and should not exceed 400,000.in akwa ibom state,they are found only in eastern obolo and in edo state in akoko edo and gelegele

So how does all this figures justify Ijaws being 10million in population?

2 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by pazienza(m): 10:01pm On Jul 10, 2017
HopeAtHand:

So how does all this figures justify Ijaws being 10million in population?

Nawao for this your new found antagonism for the Ijaws. grin

Ijaws are quite big. If they manage to get the Eastern Obolo , Ibeno and Andoni to accept the Ijaw tag, they could be up to 10million or close to it.

3 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by Afam4eva(m): 10:06pm On Jul 10, 2017
HarryDuce:

And their names of course (especially their surnames) are English names in most cases.
This excuse doesn't quite cut it. I'm some who likes learning new cultures everyday. So, anyone i come in contact with, i always tend to ask them where they're from and i can even inquire into which village they're from. Even Ikwerres that you can't tell apart from Igbos, i have met a couple of them outside Rivers state after doing my due dilligence.

If Ijaw population is 10 million then Nigeria's population has to be hovering somewhere around 500 million. Where else do you find Ijaws apart from Bayelsa, Rivers, Delta, Edo and Awka Ibom. While they are a majority in Bayelsa with a population somewhere around 2 million, they're minorities in other states. In Rivers state, they're not more than 30 percent of the population and im being very generous. In Delta state, the major groups are Urhobo and Anioma (Igbo) and Ijaws can't be more than 500k. In Ondo, they're in the hundreds of thousands. In Edo and Akwa-Ibom they're not even up to 100k. So, where exactly is the 10 million coming from?

2 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HopeAtHand: 10:11pm On Jul 10, 2017
pazienza:

Nawao for this your new found antagonism for the Ijaws. grin

Ijaws are quite big. If they manage to get the Eastern Obolo , Ibeno and Andoni to accept the Ijaw tag, they could be up to 10million or close to it.

Which one is new found antagonism??

I'm just stating my observation. They are masters of doctoring figures.

1 Like

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by pazienza(m): 10:24pm On Jul 10, 2017
HopeAtHand:

Which one is new found antagonism??

I'm just stating my observation. They are masters of doctoring figures.

Everyone does the same in Nigeria. It's a jungle, every group working shamelessly hard to undermine the other and get Lion share of the national cake , no synergism whatsoever, which is why Nigeria became a failed state.

Don't make it look like the Ijaws are doing what other groups are not doing.

3 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HarryDuce(m): 10:24pm On Jul 10, 2017
HopeAtHand:

2006 estimates put the figures of predominantly Ijaw LGAs in Rivers state at roughly a million and Delta state around 400 thousand. I'm not considering port Harcourt and Warri here and other cosmopolitan towns. Fast-foward to 2017, You don't expect the population to be stagnant.

Also considering the fact that majority of them dont reside in the rural areas.
Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by senatordave1(m): 10:29pm On Jul 10, 2017
HarryDuce:
2006 estimates put the figures of predominantly Ijaw LGAs in Rivers state at roughly a million and Delta state around 400 thousand. I'm not considering port Harcourt and Warri here and other cosmopolitan towns. Fast-foward to 2017, You don't expect the population to be stagnant.

Also considering the fact that majority of them dont reside in the rural areas.
Oga harry,from my above assertions,ijaws dont exceed the 4-5million mark.they are at par numerically with the tivs and below the kanuris

1 Like

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by Amarabae(f): 10:37pm On Jul 10, 2017
Ibibios are not the fourth largest tribe, the Ijaws are not also.
Kanuris are the 4th most populated tribe in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by bencarson007(m): 10:38pm On Jul 10, 2017
HopeAtHand:

Don't say what you don't know.
The average Ijaw man hardly speaks his language outside because they are a minority
Also, the rate at which the uneducated people reproduce, you won't even dare to compete with them
Now the ijaws are in Ondo,Delta, and majorly in Bayelsa and also in Rivers state and some of their communities are in Lagos oga....
So it is your government and their shoddy agendas that don't count them well... How many people are in the north if you subtract the cow and chicken and foreigners that they add to themselves.
What the north basically has is land mass and not population...
How many cities in the north are as busy as lagos or port harcourt or Delta...
Oga mind yourself o and please get your facts right... The Ijaws have population... Their not speaking their language outside much is not a yardstick for you to abuse their population figure

3 Likes

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by realjoker(m): 10:56pm On Jul 10, 2017
HopeAtHand:

This got me ROTFL

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HarryDuce(m): 10:56pm On Jul 10, 2017
senatordave1:

Oga harry,from my above assertions,ijaws dont exceed the 4-5million mark.they are at par numerically with the tivs and below the kanuris
There are numerous things to be considered if one is to get accurate population figures. The 2006 census did not include tribe identification. Also note that majority of the population dont reside in the rural areas- Which makes up the bulk of their lands (for obvious reasons) as I cited earlier. Only a census can determine the true figures for us at this time- that is if its credible.

1 Like

Re: 4th Largest Ethnic Nation In Nigeria Receives Governor UGE by HarryDuce(m): 11:11pm On Jul 10, 2017
Afam4eva:

This excuse doesn't quite cut it. I'm some who likes learning new cultures everyday. So, anyone i come in contact with, i always tend to ask them where they're from and i can even inquire into which village they're from. Even Ikwerres that you can't tell apart from Igbos, i have met a couple of them outside Rivers state after doing my due dilligence.

If Ijaw population is 10 million then Nigeria's population has to be hovering somewhere around 500 million. Where else do you find Ijaws apart from Bayelsa, Rivers, Delta, Edo and Awka Ibom. While they are a majority in Bayelsa with a population somewhere around 2 million, they're minorities in other states. In Rivers state, they're not more than 30 percent of the population and im being very generous. In Delta state, the major groups are Urhobo and Anioma (Igbo) and Ijaws can't be more than 500k. In Ondo, they're in the hundreds of thousands. In Edo and Akwa-Ibom they're not even up to 100k. So, where exactly is the 10 million coming from?
I'm just going to address a few points.

First the Ijaws in Bayelsa are more than 2 million. they can't be 2 million in 2006 and still be 2 million in 2017. If you say they are not more than 30% in rivers state i might not argue with that. But what is the population of rivers state as at now? The population of Ijaws in rivers state going by 2006 figures was roughly a million plus; note, roughly. I can't comfortably speak for Edo and Akwa ibom, but you are being biased here.

Like I said, A census would give us credible figures- probably.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Army In Free Medical Outreach In Ebonyi(part Of Python Dance 2)pics / IPOB Are ‘bastards’ If They Can’t Cause Another Civil War - Junaid Mohammed / Biafra: Ozekhome Reveals What Complicated Nnamdi Kanu’s Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.