Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling (8593 Views)

Federal University Ebonyi Generates Own Power, Independent Of National Grid / Ambode Offers Fuhad Adetoro Ogunsanya, LASU Best Student N5m, Scholarship / About N5m Is Being Generated From Waste Recycling In UNILAG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 11, 2017
Sade Nubi, Senior Environmental Engineer, University of Lagos (UNILAG), said the institution through its recycling initiative realised about N5 million from waste generated by the university community.

Nubi disclosed that this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Cape Coast, Ghana at the ongoing Africa Cleanup conference.

She said that the university generates about 32.2 tons of wastes monthly from its 97,000 population including visitors.

“We try to make sure that the school environment is clean, we make sure that we sensitise people to know that an we can create wealth from waste.

“For UNILAG, despite the initial challenges of funding and negative attitude towards the initiative, we still moved ahead beyond the challenge to push forward and achieve our goal.

“We have been able to recycle as much as 23 tons of waste every month. We have recycling companies as partners who come to buy our waste.

“We have been able to create income for the institution as well as employment,” she said.

Nubi advised other institutions in the country to key into the recycling project and add value to their community.

“For other universities it is important for us not to just dump our waste at dump site or landfill, let’s put value to it by getting people to sort it and recycle.

“We also carry out research work. We can now categorise our waste which includes more of plastic bottles.

“We have been able to raise between N4 and N5 million for the institution since the inception of the initiative and employ about 50 workers at the sorting centre in the institution.’’

Nubi said UNILAG was ready to collaborate with other institutions on the recycling project, so as to generate funds, create employment and add value to the education sector.

NAN reports that the institution’s string and recycling centre was established in 2015. (NAN)

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/unilag-generates-n5m-from-waste-recycling/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by MrPdtech: 8:13am On Jul 11, 2017
Lagos dirty sha

3 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by KardinalZik(m): 9:15am On Jul 11, 2017
Operationalising the "waste to wealth" concept. That's a good feat.

3 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by froz(m): 5:11am On Jul 13, 2017
I just like RECYCLING.
this is where maintenance and management comes in

9 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 13, 2017
That's nice
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by chuksjuve(m): 7:08am On Jul 13, 2017
leading by example
greatest akokite!!!

13 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Wisdombankxz: 7:08am On Jul 13, 2017
This is great.. We need to encourage recycling. It saves the environment from pollution

meanwhile I have active 11k plus followers instagram page For sale .
99% Nigerians.

Niche = Fashion and lifestyle
Call/whatsapp 08084334575 for instant biz.

1 Like

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 13, 2017
Within which period
Didn't read the Nonesense
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by CuteCeo: 7:09am On Jul 13, 2017
Good one
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Ajanii(m): 7:10am On Jul 13, 2017
Recycle the "hollow-shows" to ply a noble trade
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by LilSmith55(m): 7:12am On Jul 13, 2017
E be like say I go start to park waste now ooo
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by kn23h(m): 7:13am On Jul 13, 2017
Yoruba state doing the needful.

Watch dem gala sellers come with their no man's land consolation.

Yoruba dara.

muller101:
bigot it's too early for this

Flat head will you keep kwayet. If it's to insult Lagos with the flood incident, Na you go first enter.

1 Like

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Horlaarsco: 7:13am On Jul 13, 2017
I love this..
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Shakingdbumbum: 7:13am On Jul 13, 2017
Various state government should encourage recycling.
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by unitedsurv: 7:16am On Jul 13, 2017
the question is who buys this waste and what are those stinky things used for coz me ayam not understanding o undecided
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by muller101(m): 7:18am On Jul 13, 2017
kn23h:

Yoruba dara.
bigot it's too early for this

5 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by jashar(f): 7:21am On Jul 13, 2017
Mtsheeewww....... and yet, they still look for ways to siphon money from students. angry
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by ConcNiggress56(f): 7:22am On Jul 13, 2017
unitedsurv:
the question is who buys this waste and what are those stinky things used for coz me ayam not understanding o undecided
you better wise..

the same bottle water you bought and dumped in a Lagos traffic picked up by a madman and used by him for poo pooing and wee weeing and drinking for 3 months before eventually throwing it away was recycled and reprocessed into a food grade PET bottle for the table water you will buy tomorrow.

and that graduation gown and fake man united jersey you wore to church are made from fabrics generated from plastic flakes..

now.. will you still call them "stinking things"?

5 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Gerrard59(m): 7:26am On Jul 13, 2017
unitedsurv:

Recycling companies use it as starting materials for the products we use daily. One reason is to cut costs. For instance, instead of using trees as materials for books, tissues etc. Simply buy old papers and recycle. Ditto electronic wastes, which firms buy a lot.

There is money in waste. Google Wecyclers, Waste Point Limited, Veolia, Suez Environnement.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Pavore9: 7:28am On Jul 13, 2017
Nice one. With such human population, their sewage can be made to generate cooking gas for use within the University Community as it is being piped to kitchens.

1 Like

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by omoiyalayi(m): 7:28am On Jul 13, 2017
Our fct minister better go and learn how they are doing it.
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by phlamesG: 7:29am On Jul 13, 2017
UNILAG that is a money making school

Abeg use small out of that 5million to improve D degrading state of the sport centre biko

4 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by Adeyinka12(m): 7:31am On Jul 13, 2017
kn23h:
Yoruba dara.
I'm Yoruba, sincerely you don't need this

3 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by VanBommel(m): 7:32am On Jul 13, 2017
kn23h:

Yoruba dara.

Flat head will you keep kwayet. If it's to insult Lagos with the flood incident, Na you go first enter.
I'm sure your gbegiri was well garnished with stupidity undecided
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by kn23h(m): 7:33am On Jul 13, 2017
Adeyinka12:
I'm Yoruba, sincerely you don't need this

Keep kwayet. Go and reply dem illiterate fanyogo sellers calling you afonja everyday.

You can't be Yoruba, they aren't naturally dull as you.

Everybody wants to be Yoruba laaro yii cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by kn23h(m): 7:34am On Jul 13, 2017
VanBommel:
I'm sure your gbegiri was well garnished with stupidity undecided

Eh en. Is that all.

Did you at least drink water with your cemented apku? undecided

1 Like

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by VanBommel(m): 7:36am On Jul 13, 2017
ConcNiggress56:

you better wise..

the same bottle water you bought and dumped in a Lagos traffic picked up by a madman and used by him for poo pooing and wee weeing and drinking for 3 months before eventually throwing it away was recycled and reprocessed into a food grade PET bottle for the table water you will buy tomorrow.

and that graduation gown and fake man united jersey you wore to church are made from fabrics generated from plastic flakes..

now.. will you still call them "stinking things"?
is your borehole vrginity still up for sale undecided
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by muller101(m): 7:38am On Jul 13, 2017
kn23h:

Yoruba dara.

u are extremely 5tupid. So if am against what u posted it means I am from the East.
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by jidxin(m): 7:38am On Jul 13, 2017
MrPdtech:
Lagos dirty sha
must you ?
Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by kn23h(m): 7:40am On Jul 13, 2017
muller101:
u are extremely 5tupid. So if am against what u posted it means I am from the East.

You are extremely foolish. We can point out Biafrauds by the train tracks attached to their forehead. You're surely one of the lost ducks of Kanu's minions.

2 Likes

Re: Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling by kn23h(m): 7:41am On Jul 13, 2017
MrPdtech:
Lagos dirty sha

Onitsha is even more dirty. It's actually the dirtiest city in the world. Very dirty people.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Letter Of Acceptance For A Lecturing Job Offer / Why I Want To Send One Million Books To African Universities - Philip Alabi / Funai Matriculates Over 2, 000 Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.