Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,674 members, 7,840,664 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree (18018 Views)

Apply for SCHOLARSHIP - Get Tuition Free College Degree / IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? / Student Of Nwafor Orizu College Nsugbe Shot Dead By Cultist (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by hoygift(m): 7:23am On Jul 13, 2017
Wisdombankxz:
Actually what the world needs now is your CREATIVITY not ordinary paper called Degree.
My Definition of college = Hardworking for useless piece of paper.

meanwhile I have active 11k plus followers instagram page.
99% Nigerians.

Call/whatsapp 08084334575 for instant biz.
hi is that your watsapp number? We need to work
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Fantastic2m(m): 7:23am On Jul 13, 2017
This is only as a result of the decay of our education system.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by sujezy: 7:23am On Jul 13, 2017
k
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Majesticniyi(m): 7:24am On Jul 13, 2017
Mstchew
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Safiaa(f): 7:24am On Jul 13, 2017
salford1:
Or one after the other
Yeah exactly.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 13, 2017
Safiaa:
you can't do both at once. You choose one or the other.

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Wisdombankxz: 7:37am On Jul 13, 2017
hoygift:
hi is that your watsapp number? We need to work

Yes Sir.,Am always ready.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by seguno2: 7:38am On Jul 13, 2017
Rudaiya:
I think that an advanced college degree is soon going to be necessary for entry level along with real world experience for most middle class jobs.

Vocational training for technical skills is the way to go.
What % of the hundreds of thousands of graduates are jobless or driving Dangote trailers after wasting four plus years on campus?
Smart people are following the technical education route while dullards are waiting for unavailable white collar jobs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Jlow2: 7:44am On Jul 13, 2017
most college degree holders find it uncomfortable to go for apprenticeship,i tell you my benz mechanic makes an average of 20-30k daily,he neva had any college degree,my couzin dat went to learn auto parts biz at ladipo early 2000,bcame n importer after 7years,we wer still eating "mama tank ma" ,lookin 4 non available jobs, dis guy was already building mansion at d village,and setting up pure& table water factory.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by gotnel: 7:49am On Jul 13, 2017
OMEGA009:
Good luck getting a job in Shell with your "Apprenticeship degree"
Yes sir, I can tell you that many people who served as an apprentice in the field of industrial electrical systems are today the main driving forces in the oil industry.
Knowledge is the real thing,not your papers qualification.
The important in going to schools is to learns how to read and write, to learn how to interact and to be prepared .
The real thing you need to be successful in life are learn outside the schools system.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by salford1: 7:54am On Jul 13, 2017
gotnel:

Yes sir, I can tell you that many people who served as an apprentice in the field of industrial electrical systems are today the main driving forces in the oil industry.
Knowledge is the real thing,not your papers qualification.
The important in going to schools is to learns how to read and write, to learn how to interact and to be prepared .
The real thing you need to be successful in life are learn outside the schools system.
only if he knew that a large number of expatriates brought into the countries by oil companies are actually trades men with only high school diplomas...

4 Likes

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Lalas247(f): 7:57am On Jul 13, 2017
Apprenticeships are the best ( outside Nigeria o )
You get paid to study and guaranteed a job as soon as you finish .. it's a win win

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 13, 2017
Lalas247:
Apprenticeships are the best ( outside Nigeria o )
You get paid to study and guaranteed a job as soon as you finish .. it's a win win

1 Share

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Fapta(m): 8:00am On Jul 13, 2017
Mustiboy:
I'm currently an apprentice learning phone engineering. I make money, though not much, but it does satisfy some of my wants. We make about #5,000 a day on average. And sometimes, we make almost #10,000. All the money is my boss' own though and he gives us stipends not so often. That's about #200k he makes in a month. Learning a skill is the best.
In addition, I'm also an aspirant of a university and I'm sure to get an admission with my performance in the just concluded utme exams.
I'll use my acquired skill to feed myself in the University

Thumb up for you, that's the same process I passed through, I am currently in 400 level now while I'm not panic about what the future holds for me as some of my colleagues in the same department.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Lalas247(f): 8:01am On Jul 13, 2017
[quote author=daylyt post=58404022][/quote]
Morning grin
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 13, 2017
Lalas247:

Morning grin

Gm bae wink
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by ivolt: 8:04am On Jul 13, 2017
Jlow2:
most college degree holders find it uncomfortable to go for apprenticeship,i tell you my benz mechanic makes an average of 20-30k daily,he neva had any college degree,my couzin dat went to learn auto parts biz at ladipo early 2000,bcame n importer after 7years,we wer still eating "mama tank ma" ,lookin 4 non available jobs, dis guy was already building mansion at d village,and setting up pure& table water factory.

The problem is ego, it is easier to go for apprenticeship first then optionally college.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Lalas247(f): 8:07am On Jul 13, 2017
daylyt:

Gm bae wink
cheesy morning sunshine ...
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Mustiboy(m): 8:07am On Jul 13, 2017
Fapta:

Thumb up for you, that's the same process I passed through, I am currently in 400 level now while I'm not panic about what the future holds for me as some of my colleagues in the same department.
that's great bro. With a vocational skill, one's future is secured

I wish you the best
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by SpaceBar: 8:12am On Jul 13, 2017
It's a truth that most of us know, yet shy away from due to too much value/preference placed on college degree in our "hypocritical" society. Sadly, some graduates of this colleges wouldn't be able to fend for their selves,...,living in a state of perpetual misery and lack, searching tirelessly in odd places for solution(s) to a problem they themselves are the architect. (don't ask me how). While those that took apprenticeship earlier(those that couldn't attend the college program due to several reasons ranging from finance to the corrupt and malfunctioning system through which Admission into this colleges is granted) are living comfortably as their practice can directly solve immediate problems in the same society that undermined it.
To those that would still want to carry that long held notion of "I'm schooling to educate my mind/for the love of knowledge" I say happy new year to y'all when you discover that the form of knowledge you had acquired isn't putting food on your table (because of the kind of society we find our selves).
Also to those going in for apprenticeship should opt for a program that can stand the test of time, something adaptive, be diligent in it and be directional.
above all, I wish we all prosper in our different endeavor in life, stay truth to what you doing and always ask God for direction and support. Good morning.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 13, 2017
Mustiboy:
I'm currently an apprentice learning phone engineering. I make money, though not much, but it does satisfy some of my wants. We make about #5,000 a day on average. And sometimes, we make almost #10,000. All the money is my boss' own though and he gives us stipends not so often. That's about #200k he makes in a month. Learning a skill is the best.
In addition, I'm also an aspirant of a university and I'm sure to get an admission with my performance in the just concluded utme exams.
your head dey dia jor... admission fall on you this year...

God bless your hustle brother...

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by InvertedHammer: 8:15am On Jul 13, 2017
/
\
\

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Mustiboy(m): 8:17am On Jul 13, 2017
YOUNGSTUNNA:

your head dey dia jor... admission fall on you this year...

God bless your hustle brother...
thanks bro. And you too.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Harrygow263(m): 8:26am On Jul 13, 2017
This Is What We Are Talking About

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by sonnie10: 8:27am On Jul 13, 2017
My friend learned how to fix medical equipment for two years in a technical institution. They are called biomedical techs. He makes over $80k a year.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by CoolChinex07: 8:28am On Jul 13, 2017
This post was probable copied and pasted from a foreign magazine. So is relevant to advamced countries were the premium is not placed on academic certificates. But in Nigeria, u will forever feel very low exteem and limited achievements without higher educational qualifications in addition to possessing skills. A bricklayer wit 40 years experience will still be supervised by a young Engineer or Achitect and be anwering sir all his lifes. The tilers and painters and carpenters and other skilled workers in the building industries must contantly beg the Bulding Engineers for sub contract. U cannot be a Senator, ministers, governors or president in Nigerian without advanced degrees. Even the top public servants that earns or steal millions n billions. The traders and apprentice will keep hustling and hustling for many years to break through while the educated ones stays in de comfort of their air-conditioned offices to make polices that may even mar the traders and apprentice. Even graduates are now getting the skilles to give them double advantage. So my people aspire to get a degree even if u are into apprentice to get a skill too. U av nothing to lose by having the both

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by empire2017(m): 8:28am On Jul 13, 2017
Mustiboy:
same with me, though not in the engineering line .i'm an apprentice but i av completed mine since april,nd i'm also a medical aspirant with a good utme score..we deal with genuine drugs both wholesale nd retail.my boss nd the wife cnt let me go nd the are begging to stay more yrs so that the can settle me to stand on my own.....

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 13, 2017
My Brothers what can one learn in Nigeria? Apart from our regular phone repairs, catering and all.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Mustiboy(m): 8:36am On Jul 13, 2017
empire2017:
same with me, though not in the engineering line .i'm an apprentice but i av completed mine since april,nd i'm also a medical aspirant with a good utme score..we deal with genuine drugs both wholesale nd retail.my boss nd the wife cnt let me go nd the are begging to stay more yrs so that the can settle me to stand on my own.....
that's great. It's a practice common among the igbos. Guess you're one too. What they're offering you is mouth watering though, but you sure can't forfeit your schooling for it. It'd have been better if they'd rather help you with your school processing. Cuz it's obvious they're begging you to stay at their own benefit. Who knows, the business might not be the same without you.
I wish you the best in all of your endeavours bro.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by femo122: 8:37am On Jul 13, 2017
cool You go school to acquire knowledge while apprenticeship is to acquire skills
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by dipznano: 8:38am On Jul 13, 2017
Safiaa:
Do you know what employers are looking for these days? Experience. If you've spent 5 years in uni, and you've never worked in the industry that you have a degree in, you're practically useless. That's why so many graduates all over the world are lost when they graduate. I'm not saying a degree is useless, but at the end of the day its just a certificate, and employers want more. What sets you apart from the crowd? When you've had experience, you will always have the upper hand to someone who hasn't. Don't look down on apprenticeships. Educate yourself and get out of the closed box you're in.

As right as you may be, you still haven't answered the question...
Shell like many other companies don't require experience for their entry level recruitment, instead they need good grades. They then equip you with reasonable knowledge for your growth in the industry. For short, you'd gain your experience at shell if employed as a graduate trainee.

Adios

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Shortlisted Candidates For 2012 Nddc Foreign Post Graduate Scholarship / UNIBEN To Refund Money Paid By Post-UTME 2016 Candidates / ASUU Strike To Be Called Off Any Moment From Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.