Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,880 members, 7,838,153 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree (17993 Views)

Apply for SCHOLARSHIP - Get Tuition Free College Degree / IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? / Student Of Nwafor Orizu College Nsugbe Shot Dead By Cultist (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by jimb(m): 8:42am On Jul 13, 2017
Mustiboy:
I'm currently an apprentice learning phone engineering. I make money, though not much, but it does satisfy some of my wants. We make about #5,000 a day on average. And sometimes, we make almost #10,000. All the money is my boss' own though and he gives us stipends not so often. That's about #200k he makes in a month. Learning a skill is the best.
In addition, I'm also an aspirant of a university and I'm sure to get an admission with my performance in the just concluded utme exams.
I'll use my acquired skill to feed myself in the University

Good one

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by ivolt: 8:46am On Jul 13, 2017
seguno2:

Vocational training for technical skills is the way to go.
What % of the hundreds of thousands of graduates are jobless or driving Dangote trailers after [b]wasting four plus years on campus?[/b]
Smart people are following the technical education route while dullards are waiting for unavailable white collar jobs.

If the four years were a waste, then the graduate has no business going for a degree in the first place.
However, you are right that vocational training is the right strategy to follow for a secured future.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Safiaa(f): 8:46am On Jul 13, 2017
dipznano:

As right as you may be, you still haven't answered the question...
Shell like many other companies don't require experience for their entry level recruitment, instead they need good grades. They then equip you with reasonable knowledge for your growth in the industry. For short, you'd gain your experience at shell if employed as a graduate trainee.

Adios
Darling, dont accept being mediocre. Being basic and mediocre will not get you far in life. Just because a company doesnt require experience at entry level, doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't choose someone who has over you. Grades are not pratical. You have to set yourself apart in the employement world, esp in this day. So many 1st class holders with no employment because they think 'grades' only, will take them far. Think outside of the box, it's a characteristic of successful people.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by dipznano: 8:46am On Jul 13, 2017
Lalas247:

Morning grin

Morning... hope you slept well?
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by ivolt: 8:48am On Jul 13, 2017
Fantastic2m:
This is only as a result of the decay of our education system.

No it is not, as the number of graduates increase, the job market can't keep
up with the supply.
A similar problem is obtained in US where some graduates end up taking up
jobs for non-degree workers.

Technical skills is the way to go.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 13, 2017
pogolowa1:
My Brothers what can one learn in Nigeria? Apart from our regular phone repairs, catering and all.
welding and fabrication, thank me later.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Nwanna2588: 8:51am On Jul 13, 2017
Go try apprenticeship with college degree and see yourself play catch up throughout your life. The scenario is on play now. Go ask those that learnt roadside mechanic how their jobs have been taken by their college degree counterparts.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by maisauki: 9:05am On Jul 13, 2017
Jus go to farm, thank me later
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by dipznano: 9:06am On Jul 13, 2017
Safiaa:
Darling, dont accept being mediocre. Being basic and mediocre will not get you far in life. Just because a company doesnt require experience at entry level, doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't choose someone who has over you. Grades are not pratical. You have to set yourself apart in the employement world, esp in this day. So many 1st class holders with no employment because they think 'grades' only, will take them far. Think outside of the box, it's a characteristic of successful people.

Dear, there is no form of mediocrity in my thinking + I'm neither basic nor simple.
What I am trying to point out is, don't ever give up on a college degree!
At the moment I'm gaining experience from one of these companies, trust me in a matter of years I could peel off and either venture into entrepreneurship or seek greener pastures.

My point is, I dint favour apprenticeship over a college degree to gain experience or fend for myself; rather I chose a college degree which is in turn paying me very well and equipping with over x3 the knowledge an apprentice will gain in the same time frame.

However, you may be right to conclude 'it won't work for you that way'...
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by empire2017(m): 9:08am On Jul 13, 2017
Mustiboy:
that's great. It's a practice common among the igbos. Guess you're one too. What they're offering you is mouth watering though, but you sure can't forfeit your schooling for it. It'd have been better if they'd rather help you with your school processing. Cuz it's obvious they're begging you to stay at their own benefit. Who knows, the business might not be the same without you.
I wish you the best in all of your endeavours bro.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 13, 2017
AyoSammyTunDe:
NO

U didn't read at all.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Safiaa(f): 9:14am On Jul 13, 2017
dipznano:

Dear, there is no form of mediocrity in my thinking + I'm neither basic nor simple.
What I am trying to point out is, don't ever give up on a college degree!
At the moment I'm gaining experience from one of these companies, trust me in a matter of years I could peel off and either venture into entrepreneurship or seek greener pastures.

My point is, I dint favour apprenticeship over a college degree to gain experience or fend for myself; rather I chose a college degree which is in turn paying me very well and equipping with over x3 the knowledge an apprentice will gain in the same time frame.

However, you may be right to conclude 'it won't work for you that way'...
Thats great for you. What works for a will not work for b. With the unemployment rate reaching 20% in nigeria, there's obviously an issue. It would make more sense to get a degree and possibly try out an apprenticeship after. Therefore you have the best of both worlds. But i still believe apprenticeships are more beneficially in this day and age, that's if i had to choose one. Building your skills rather than grades is more beneficial in the long run.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 13, 2017
Jasboi:
welding and fabrication, thank me later.
bros please more info If possible contacts thanks.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by empire2017(m): 9:22am On Jul 13, 2017
Mustiboy:
that's great. It's a practice common among the igbos. Guess you're one too. What they're offering you is mouth watering though, but you sure can't forfeit your schooling for it. It'd have been better if they'd rather help you with your school processing. Cuz it's obvious they're begging you to stay at their own benefit. Who knows, the business might not be the same without you.
I wish you the best in all of your endeavours bro.
thanks. once sent an application letter for a new pharm.company advertising for salesrep.menh d of interview came,come see certificate up n down,me jst carry my weac reach dier,questions were asked about drugs buh some of de degree holders failed.longstory short,i was among those selected for the job buh dad hearing it said a bigger "NO" to it.no option buh to obey dad nd dat how i lost it.
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by dipznano: 9:23am On Jul 13, 2017
Safiaa:
Thats great for you. What works for a will not work for b. With the unemployment rate reaching 20% in nigeria, there's obviously an issue. It would make more sense to get a degree and possibly try out an apprenticeship after. Therefore you have the best of both worlds. But i still believe apprenticeships are more beneficially in this day and age, that's if i had to choose one. Building your skills rather than grades is more beneficial in the long run.

It's ok...
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by fiendishghoul: 9:26am On Jul 13, 2017
i really think you should do more research before posting, this may really be misleading, tho there are advantages of apprenticeship, doesn't necessarily mean it's better, a college degree isn't for everyone too..it also has its advantages , you just have to find out what works for you..doesn't mean one is better than the other, I can't blame you for this tho, this is how you understand things, but there's usually more to life than meets the eye...do more research

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by fiendishghoul: 9:28am On Jul 13, 2017
Nwanna2588:
Go try apprenticeship with college degree and see yourself play catch up throughout your life. The scenario is on play now. Go ask those that learnt roadside mechanic how their jobs have been taken by their college degree counterparts.

This is very false
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Mustiboy(m): 9:46am On Jul 13, 2017
empire2017:
thanks. once sent an application letter for a new pharm.company advertising for salesrep.menh d of interview came,come see certificate up n down,me jst carry my weac reach dier,questions were asked about drugs buh some of de degree holders failed.longstory short,i was among those selected for the job buh dad hearing it said a bigger "NO" to it.no option buh to obey dad nd dat how i lost it.
lol. Sorry bout that. You don't have to rush. Jobs will come after you've gotten your degree. Bigger ones to say the least
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Lalas247(f): 10:16am On Jul 13, 2017
dipznano:

Morning... hope you slept well?
Yessir
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Ugosample(m): 10:26am On Jul 13, 2017
As much as apprenticeships are good, no one should ever say that college education is a waste.

It's only a waste to those who are waste themselves
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by dipznano: 10:31am On Jul 13, 2017
Lalas247:

Yessir

How's the day going?
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Lalas247(f): 10:31am On Jul 13, 2017
dipznano:

How's the day going?
I'm fighting lol grin one sec
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by dipznano: 10:37am On Jul 13, 2017
Lalas247:

I'm fighting lol grin one sec

Need reinforcement? Just Holla

grin grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Lalas247(f): 10:38am On Jul 13, 2017
dipznano:

Need reinforcement? Just Holla

grin grin
Lol this wan na local champion he dey find visa
Leave him I will subject him to life of alternates grin
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Engineermbugame(m): 10:48am On Jul 13, 2017
[quote author=Mustiboy post=58402714]I'm currently an apprentice learning phone engineering. I make money, though not much, but it does satisfy some of my wants. We make about #5,000 a day on average. And sometimes, we make almost #10,000. All the money is my boss' own though and he gives us stipends not so often. That's about #200k he makes in a month. Learning a skill is the best.
In addition, I'm also an aspirant of a university and I'm sure to get an admission with my performance in the just concluded utme exams.
I'll use my acquired skill to feed myself in the University
.[/quote we are in de same shoes boss ,nah my own boss ……
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by dipznano: 10:49am On Jul 13, 2017
Lalas247:

Lol this wan na local champion he dey find visa
Leave him I will subject him to life of alternates grin

Lmao... Chai 'Deris God o'

You don win?
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Lalas247(f): 10:51am On Jul 13, 2017
dipznano:

Lmao... Chai 'Deris God o'

You don win?

No not yet they will be back .. bet they on ban as we speak .. waiting for dem to come n cry
Or maybe creating alternate account
grin
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by dipznano: 10:55am On Jul 13, 2017
Lalas247:

No not yet they will be back .. bet they on ban as we speak .. waiting for dem to come n cry
Or maybe creating alternate account
grin

Lol... I've seen the thread

Some dude beating up a lady yea?

1 Like

Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Engineermbugame(m): 11:03am On Jul 13, 2017
Apprenticeship is very good ,i still remember dose days wen my oga is giving me #100 for de contract he charge hundred thousand naira ,i started learning plumbing installation de year i finish sec school……some of my agemate den are in university some are struggle to enter ,nah i have my own shop am selling plumbing materials and also wating for part ……time form
Re: 4 Reason why Apprenticeship Is Better Than College Degree by Lalas247(f): 11:24am On Jul 13, 2017
dipznano:

Lol... I've seen the thread

Some dude beating up a lady yea?
Yh that's the one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10,444 Illegal Private Schools In Lagos To Be Shut Down / UNILAG Becomes First Nigerian University To Get TV License – Official / No Admission For Students With Tattoos At Akwa Ibom University - V.C

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.