Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics (8465 Views)

6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic / Why Buhari, Govs, NASS Members Patronize Mercedes-Benz Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by InfoRetweet(m): 2:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
You do patronize roadside mechanics right? You really need to know these things oo!

1. Never Take a Car With Full Tank To Them
I pity you when you come and collect your car and you here stories about your fuel. The same even happens to generator local mechanics that comes to you or you go to also. Never you take full tank to their workshop, just leave some few fuel in it.

2. Don't Leave Them With Your Car Alone
In cars every single nut or screw are very important but these cheap mobile mechanics don't believe there are need for these things. Find time to monitor them while working on it.

3. Find Out Prices of Every Single Thing Before Going To Them
Even after telling or giving you the bill of theirs work-manship, they will still want to get something out of the parts they're going to buy.

To be on the safer side, it is better to find out the prices of those parts before giving them the work to do for you.

4. Take a Good Look At The Part They Buy For You
They think they're smart, apart from the fact that they will overcharge you for the parts they buy for you, they will also play tricks by using old parts from other vehicles in your car and then pocket the money.

Or better still, follow them to buy the parts.

5. Noting Might Really Be Wrong With Your Car
I pity you if they do this to you. They will lie to you that your car needs some replacements or needs serious fixing while it doesn't.

Do not just drive a car try to know more about cars and how it works. Read books too.

6. Take A Good Look After You Repair

Always take a second look at tour car after being repaired. Review the bolts, nuts, and screws to tighten them if not in place.

This is the reason why most cars turn bad and useless after lots of repairs (lack of proper care).

7. Give Them Proper Payments

They can because of your bad payment's, do bad work for you also. Pay them well and do not too be stingy.

The last thing you will want is for the tire they fixed for you to get loose on the highway roundabout. Hahaha

SOURCE: https://autojosh.com/7-tips-you-should-not-ignore-if-you-patronize-a-nigerian-road-side-mechanics/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by NLOwner(m): 3:13pm On Jul 11, 2017
Give your car to a reliable and honest professional mechanic and dodge all these wahala listed above..

Any mechanic that has a reputable name would do all he can to protect it..

5 Likes

Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2017
When it comes to cars, we (myself inclusive) pay for our ignorance. You can only supervise/crosscheck what you know. If e concern you, follow them round Ladipo or sit in their shops _dishonest/careless ones will still have their way.

Just pray for a good/honest kazeem or cut to the chase and go for reputable skilled labour.

4 Likes

Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by nurey(m): 10:54pm On Jul 11, 2017
I always leave my tank full it's my choice, if you decide to steal from, our contract ends and it is good morning good afternoon. No mechanic has stolen my fuel anyway, it's not a easy task with the fuel tank having filter.

Don't ever follow mechanic to go and buy parts and don't price parts too much, I always make it a habit of getting a second opinion just to measure up prices, I prefer the mechanic to cheat me a little and do a good job than him not cheating me and buying fake parts.

Don't leave them with your car alone keh? If they want to change suspension parts you will glue yourself there come rain come sunshine, abeg remove anything valuable from the before you drop your car and cross check after pickup especially jack and wheel spanner.

I always lie to mechanic that the car belongs to my mother or sister and I need the to show them parts changed because they are paying for the fix, I just ensure I know what part they said they would change.

I be street boy, so to cheat me, you must be square root of street boy.

7 Likes

Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by drkay(m): 5:10am On Jul 12, 2017
very true
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by MPVGoddess: 6:06am On Jul 12, 2017
Get the Factory Service Manual
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 12, 2017
PaperLace:
When it comes to cars, we (myself inclusive) pay for our ignorance. You can only supervise/crosscheck what you know. If e concern you, follow them round Ladipo or sit in their shops _dishonest/careless ones will still have their way.

Just pray for a good/honest kazeem or cut to the chase and go for reputable skilled labour.
Gbam you nailed it, but they behave wells with me sha grin
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by amzee(m): 6:57am On Jul 13, 2017
Always take your car repairs to kazeem. He has improved from the last repairs he made.
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by lonelydora: 7:04am On Jul 13, 2017
I trust my mechanic shaa. If he touches my fuel, he's blocking his destiny.
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by muller101(m): 7:07am On Jul 13, 2017
MPVGoddess:
Get the Factory Service Manual
after reading u will still go to the technician
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by diportivo: 7:28am On Jul 13, 2017
dont people here have relationship with their personal mecho?

seems the topic focuses more on random mecho

nurey:

I always lie to mechanic that the car belongs to my mother or sister and I need the to show them parts changed because they are paying for the fix, I just ensure I know what part they said they would change.

oga,the mecho sabi say na u get car

no be suraju wey dey beside nipco for agric grin
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by LadipoNG: 7:31am On Jul 13, 2017
Better still... just buy your parts from a trusted online/ecommerce seller... quality spare parts with warranty is assured cos they are aimed at protecting and growing their brand. @Ladipo.ng is one of them! smiley
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Namzy(m): 8:01am On Jul 13, 2017
Scan your car before visiting them. Also have the number of 2 people dealing in your cars spare parts
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by wolexter(m): 8:13am On Jul 13, 2017
Nice write up.
Methinks its important every car owner makes out time to study and understand the different parts of the car they drive and how these parts work. Truth is, most times we pay so much for our ignorance and minor faults we could easily fix ourselves. I have come to realse that these road side 'mechanics' tend to behave better when they meet a car owner who has a good knowledge of parts and their function than they do when they meet one who doesn't. So for me I always try to decipher the fault and attempt to fix thanks to the internet and close watching the mech fix the first time, and only call in the mech where I can't and he must give me the break down of parts/ cost of repairs in advance so i can check with Nnamdi et al @ Ladipo. I have Nnamdi et al contacts unknown to my mech lol. Also I maintain a very good relationship with my mech- sending him recharge cards or showing up at his place to give his kid(s) money randomly. My father taught me its important you do kind gestures like these to people your life/business depend on such as driver, mechanic, employee so you can get the best from them.
Another thing I do is ensure the mech gives me receipt for each purchase so I can have an idea how much same part should cost and where i could buy next time. I have a record book for my spend.

1 Like

Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by gbadexy(m): 8:18am On Jul 13, 2017
my car refused to start after buying from from a petrol station and I asked the attendant if there was any mechanic around, he called a guy in a uniform similar to what their mechanics wear and when I asked him if he was a mechanic, he just told me can't I see his uniform. Being in a hurry with piled up work in my place of work, I just wanted to get out of there fast and didn't pursue the enquiry further.
The guy said the injector was dirty and he cleaned some part there, after doing that and it wasn't starting, he said they would have to service the whole injector. At that point I asked if there was a rewire around and asked him if he was sure it wasn't a wiring problem but he told me emphatically that it wasn't.
The guy went inside their garage where they do wheel balancing and called another guy in mufti and told me that one was a mechanic. The guy checked it and concluded it was the fuel pump that was failing and had to be changed including servicing the injector and he billed me.
He however said they had to push the car outside so that they won't charge me, I reasoned that they only change oil and wheel balancing and may not allow the place to be used for such.
I quickly went to the nearest bank to make withdrawal and when I got to where they pushed the car, I saw another set of mechanics in uniform checking the car and I challenged those I met at the filling station that they deceived me that they were going to do it and went to contract it to someone else, they denied it but I made them know I understand what was happening.
Now to where this relates to the topic. The mechanic checked it and told me the same thing the engineer in mufti said and assured me it would work. I didn't want to leave the car with them but I have pending work at my factory and had to leave especially when I was told it would be ready in 6 hours. But I stood there for some time and the mechanic called me again that those guys made mistake and it was something different entirely and it would cost me more but he assured me it would work, no stories.
To cut story short he didn't start the car and even suggested I manage it home after fiddling with something there. When I threatened the one called engineer that I would report them at the filling station, he started shouting for the guy to give me back my money and after much threats, he coupled it back and gave me 5k out of the 10k and told me he already bought some parts which he didn't show me. We pushed the car into a secured plaza and informed the security.
I informed my personal mechanic the following day and he went the next day being monday. He checked it and said it was wiring problem. He called his rewire and that one confirmed it's ignition problem and went to fix it. The mechanic simply fixed it back and drove it to my place.
The cover on the timing belt wasn't bolted properly and some bolts were missing, I noticed the fuel gauge wasn't were it was supposed to be since I just bought fuel and the mechanic only drove it back to my place but I couldn't be certain since I'm not sure fuel can be siphoned out.
All in all, if I wasn't in a hurry, I should have parked in a secure place and contacted my mechanic. but we live and learn.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by wolexter(m): 8:26am On Jul 13, 2017
gbadexy:
my car refused to start after buying from from a petrol station and I asked the attendant if there was any mechanic around, he called a guy in a uniform similar to what their mechanics wear and when I asked him if he was a mechanic, he just told me can't I see his uniform. Being in a hurry with piled up work in my place of work, I just wanted to get out of there fast and didn't pursue the enquiry further.
The guy said the injector was dirty and he cleaned some part there, after doing that and it wasn't starting, he said they would have to service the whole injector. At that point I asked if there was a rewire around and asked him if he was sure it wasn't a wiring problem but he told me emphatically that it wasn't.
The guy went inside their garage where they do wheel balancing and called another guy in mufti and told me that one was a mechanic. The guy checked it and concluded it was the fuel pump that was failing and had to be changed including servicing the injector and he billed me.
He however said they had to push the car outside so that they won't charge me, I reasoned that they only change oil and wheel balancing and may not allow the place to be used for such.
I quickly went to the nearest bank to make withdrawal and when I got to where they pushed the car, I saw another set of mechanics in uniform checking the car and I challenged those I met at the filling station that they deceived me that they were going to do it and went to contract it to someone else, they denied it but I made them know I understand what was happening.
Now to where this relates to the topic. The mechanic checked it and told me the same thing the engineer in mufti said and assured me it would work. I didn't want to leave the car with them but I have pending work at my factory and had to leave especially when I was told it would be ready in 6 hours. But I stood there for some time and the mechanic called me again that those guys made mistake and it was something different entirely and it would cost me more but he assured me it would work, no stories.
To cut story short he didn't start the car and even suggested I manage it home after fiddling with something there. When I threatened the one called engineer that I would report them at the filling station, he started shouting for the guy to give me back my money and after much threats, he coupled it back and gave me 5k out of the 10k and told me he already bought some parts which he didn't show me. We pushed the car into a secured plaza and informed the security.
I informed my personal mechanic the following day and he went the next day being monday. He checked it and said it was wiring problem. He called his rewire and that one confirmed it's ignition problem and went to fix it. The mechanic simply fixed it back and drove it to my place.
The cover on the timing belt wasn't bolted properly and some bolts were missing, I noticed the fuel gauge wasn't were it was supposed to be since I just bought fuel and the mechanic only drove it back to my place but I couldn't be certain since I'm not sure fuel can be siphoned out.
All in all, if I wasn't in a hurry, I should have parked in a secure place and contacted my mechanic. but we live and learn.
Another lesson bro is to try and know more about your car by reading and watching whenever you mech works on it.
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by agarawu23(m): 8:30am On Jul 13, 2017
NLOwner:
Give your car to a reliable and honest professional mechanic and dodge all these wahala listed above..

Any mechanic that has a reputable name would do all he can to protect it..
no honest mechanic, that's the honest truth. U might think he is honest, but u will be shocked when u realized he has sent u back to Villa when buying faulty parts for ur car.
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by MAXIMAL123(m): 8:40am On Jul 13, 2017
Hummmm
Nice one OP
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Mezurum01: 8:41am On Jul 13, 2017
Why do people brand mechanics evil when in real sense not all of them are bad? Is it because many of us did not acquire d knowledge through university education? Doctors are not better!
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Mezurum01: 8:43am On Jul 13, 2017
agarawu23:
no honest mechanic, that's the honest truth. U might think he is honest, but u will be shocked when u realized he has sent u back to Villa when buying faulty parts for ur car.
It also means you are not a good person to imagine such.
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by agarawu23(m): 8:45am On Jul 13, 2017
Mezurum01:
It also means you are not a good person to imagine such.
I am a victim....I know what I am saying.
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Mezurum01: 8:49am On Jul 13, 2017
nurey:
I always leave my tank full it's my choice, if you decide to steal from, our contract ends and it is good morning good afternoon. No mechanic has stolen my fuel anyway, it's not a easy task with the fuel tank having filter.

Don't ever follow mechanic to go and buy parts and don't price parts too much, I always make it a habit of getting a second opinion just to measure up prices, I prefer the mechanic to cheat me a little and do a good job than him not cheating me and buying fake parts.

Don't leave them with your car alone keh? If they want to change suspension parts you will glue yourself there come rain come sunshine, abeg remove anything valuable from the before you drop your car and cross check after pickup especially jack and wheel spanner.

Good thinking my brother Man don't mind all these people that think they know it all. Am proudly a mechanic!
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Mezurum01: 8:51am On Jul 13, 2017
agarawu23:
I am a victim....I know what I am saying.
You met d wrong person and it happens in every other profession. Am proudly a mechanic!
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Mezurum01: 8:55am On Jul 13, 2017
PaperLace:

God bless you my dear, you can't be here and there at the same time. How many of those commenting follows doctors around trying to figure out everything like that?
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by wolexter(m): 9:42am On Jul 13, 2017
Mezurum01:
You met d wrong person and it happens in every other profession. Am proudly a mechanic!
Bro that you are good and wouldn't rip clients off does not mean other mechanics wouldn't. I'm sure your level of education has a lot to do with how well you have turned out in this profession, if indeed you are one of the good ones. People who have had bitter experiences know better than to assume all mechanics are good and the right ones as such they may need to take measures to protect themselves.
The mechanic profession is a good and important one and I'm glad you are proud to be one.
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Mezurum01: 9:47am On Jul 13, 2017
wolexter:

Bro that you are good and wouldn't rip clients off does not mean other mechanics wouldn't. I'm sure your level of education has a lot to do with how well you have turned out in this profession, if indeed you are one of the good ones. People who have had bitter experiences know better than to assume all mechanics are good and the right ones as such they may need to take measures to protect themselves.
The mechanic profession is a good and important one and I'm glad you are proud to be one.
OK fine but all am saying is that you don't generalize it happens in every other profession. Thanks.
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by MPVGoddess: 10:28am On Jul 13, 2017
muller101:
after reading u will still go to the technician

Since he don't use it, guide him.

Never said they are no use, but the roadside tech, the owner and the FSM can make a powerful combo - that was and remains my point
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Akinaukwa: 11:03am On Jul 13, 2017
Have you ever patronised road side mechanics along Ore - Benin, Owo - Okene, Aba - Umuahia roads? If you do maybe you will understand ops the more. It took a road side mechanic complete six (6) hours to loose just two (2) nuts to enable him work on my gear and took him another two (2) hours to fix it back. Something that ordinarily my personal mechanic spends only fifty (50) minutes to one hour to work on. Don't ever support going to roadside mechanics.
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by Donald3d(m): 11:58am On Jul 13, 2017
Lalasticlala
Dominique
Seun
This is a stolen article I originally wrote for autojosh what kind of thiefry is this .
Make una do well o
Pls close this topic
It's not fair
Op well done oo
https://www.nairaland.com/3914208/7-tips-should-not-ignore
Re: Things You Need To Know If You Do Patronize Roadside Mechanics by NLOwner(m): 12:12pm On Jul 13, 2017
agarawu23:

Bro I think you should frequent Car Talk sections more.. We still have honest mechanics..

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Sells 1.52 Million Electrified Vehicles In 2017, Ahead Of 2020 Target / 2008 Audi A8 D3 6.0 W12 Or 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 HEMI Quad Cab? / Top 10 Most Expensive Limousines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.