Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,644 members, 7,813,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes (3004 Views)

Burial Of Father And Daughter Electrocuted In Port Harcourt (Photos) / Obituary Of Father And Son Who Died After Brief Illness (Photo) / How Come In Our House We Like Our Father More Than Our Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by lonikit: 12:26pm On Jul 12, 2017
eyinjuege:

Oh, my bad...

I assumed it was a serious thread needing serious answers, didn't know we just wan throw bater about

Its all good. Men die earlier because of the troubles from their wives jare grin grin

lolzzzz. I tink wives wahala shud not be ignored too, it can form part of the reason. I have seen such. also, we shud consider the spiritual aspect.
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by KanwuliaExtra: 12:35pm On Jul 12, 2017
lonikit:

really

You nor get PAPA? undecided
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by lonikit: 12:49pm On Jul 12, 2017
KanwuliaExtra:

You nor get PAPA? undecided

lolzzz. u funny.
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 12, 2017
women have always lived longer than men. there're many reasons why... too long to go into, but surprisingly age is not one of them.
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by lonikit: 6:38pm On Jul 12, 2017
WiredLeggings:
women have always lived longer than men. there're many reasons why... too long to go into, but surprisingly age is not one of them.

u mean age is not one!??
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by DarkRebel69: 6:55pm On Jul 12, 2017
Are the deaths of fathers truly more common or is it only a myth that has been told often enough to the extent that we've come to internalize it as the truth? Were there actual surveys conducted?

I hope I'm not being a party-pooper.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by eyinjuege: 7:07pm On Jul 12, 2017
DarkRebel69:
Are the deaths of fathers truly more common or is it only a myth that has been told often enough to the extent that we've come to internalize it as the truth? Were there actual surveys conducted?

Women generally have a longer life span / life expectancy than men.

There are lots of studies on this btw. Google search will bring up quite a few.

https://www.cmu.edu/CSR/case_studies/women_live_longer.html

www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-is-life-expectancy-lo/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1018115

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/555221_2?pa=ZHyoZGHwe0XUZHKUus8VSfNlY2m5VX2X2W7nA%2B2ES77rtTbiD%2F8oss%2BlmR4%2B4cyws7CF3wx2Tu1U792SxywYLg%3D%3D

Etc..... loads of articles exploring various reasons why

Op, lonikit, check out these articles pasted. They're all well researched, and published by reliable journals. You can be sure of reasonable peer review

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by lonikit: 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2017
eyinjuege:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/555221_2?pa=ZHyoZGHwe0XUZHKUus8VSfNlY2m5VX2X2W7nA%2B2ES77rtTbiD%2F8oss%2BlmR4%2B4cyws7CF3wx2Tu1U792SxywYLg%3D%3D

Op, lonikit, check out these articles pasted. They're all well researched, and published by reliable journals. You can be sure of reasonable peer review

oh! so educative. tnx so much
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by lonikit: 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2017
DarkRebel69:

boss, this one no be myth ooo. na reality
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by DarkRebel69: 7:59pm On Jul 12, 2017
eyinjuege:

I've read from such “well-researched” journals and articles in the past. I just find it difficult in letting someone think for me (by conceeding unquestioningly to these so-called “meticulously researched” journals). I prefer instead to rely on what has been repeatedly observed by my five senses–which by the way I admit are not entirely inerrant).

I've not really seen a situation whereby a community held more funerals for men than women, or a community with more dead husbands than dead wives. So, even though I know that females have the biological or evolutionary advantage and whatnot (like the fact that more females than males tend to survive at infancy), I still think the whole mortality rate discrepancy between the male and female demographic is a bit over-bloated.

Take Nigeria for example; can anyone truly provide an accurate figure of the mortality rate between adult males and adult females, especially as the country more or less doesn't even have a proper official data base of her citizenry? In such cases, what happens is that a blanket approach would be taken, and these “well-researched journals” which probably spoke to the particulars of another environment would be borrrowed and used in giving a hasty value judgement of the Nigerian clime.
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by cococandy(f): 8:04pm On Jul 12, 2017
eyinjuege:

Oh, my bad...

I assumed it was a serious thread needing serious answers, didn't know we just wan throw banter about

Its all good. Men die earlier because of the troubles from their wives jare grin grin
And voodoo. grin

Someone came along to tell him the kind of dumb things he wants to hear.

Men have more responsibilities indeed. Not where I come from though.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by cococandy(f): 8:08pm On Jul 12, 2017
lonikit:

lolzzzz. I tink wives wahala shud not be ignored too, it can form part of the reason. I have seen such. also, we shud consider the spiritual aspect.
If spousal wahala is a cause of death, then more women should be dead than men.
Are we carrying on in this thread like all husbands are angels? I can authoritatively say that more men make shittier partners than women. so there goes your theory.

And shut up about this spiritual BS please. If you want intelligent discourse.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by EfemenaXY: 9:01pm On Jul 12, 2017
lonikit:
I think 60% of Nigeria homes have single parent alive and it usually the mother. why is this so common

What's with your morbid fascination with death?

You planning on killing or getting killed?

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by lonikit: 9:17pm On Jul 12, 2017
EfemenaXY:

What's with your morbid fascination with death?
You planning on killing or getting killed?
must u comment
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by gidjah(m): 9:21pm On Jul 12, 2017
cococandy:
The men are usually older. nature demands that they die first.

I wouldn't wish anyone younger than me to die before me. It's not natural.
chei cocoa butter , you again! this your gift for comedy is very outstanding I ! grin
cococandy:
The men are usually older. nature demands that they die first.

I wouldn't wish anyone younger than me to die before me. It's not natural.
chei cocoa butter , you again! this your gift for comedy is very outstanding I !
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by EfemenaXY: 9:28pm On Jul 12, 2017
lonikit:

must u comment

Must you respond? lipsrsealed
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by eyinjuege: 9:32pm On Jul 12, 2017
DarkRebel69:

I've read from such “well-researched” journals and articles in the past. I just find it difficult in letting someone think for me (by conceeding unquestioningly to these so-called “meticulously researched” journals). I prefer instead to rely on what has been repeatedly observed by my five senses–which by the way I admit are not entirely inerrant).

I've not really seen a situation whereby a community held more funerals for men than women, or a community with more dead husbands than dead wives. So, even though I know that females have the biological or evolutionary advantage and whatnot (like the fact that more females than males tend to survive at infancy), I still think the whole mortality rate discrepancy between the male and female demographic is a bit over-bloated.

Take Nigeria for example; can anyone truly provide an accurate figure of the mortality rate between adult males and adult females, especially as the country more or less doesn't even have a proper official data base of her citizenry? In such cases, what happens is that a blanket approach would be taken, and these “well-researched journals” which probably spoke to the particulars of another environment would be borrrowed and used in giving a hasty value judgement of the Nigerian clime.

The life expectancy in Nigeria used to be 54 for women and 52 for men.
The medical community in Nigeria also do a lot of research too you know. If you need figures of research done in Nigeria, you will definitely find them.
You just have to search harder on Google, or have to go to libraries of some teaching hospitals.
WHO findings on Nigeria- Nigerians also work with WHO and do research for them in Nigeria. It will tell you the life expectancy of each sex, and the leading causes of death in both sexes. Google can also help. I can't physically go and start looking for people's works and it's too time consuming and unfair if I burden others with that responsibilty just to show you that we do have specific researches done in the Nigerian environment. Though we also have some journals you have to subscribe to, in order to have access to some of these works.
It's not a case of magomago, or just conjuring up figures. We have epidemiologists in Nigeria, we have researches done on the leading causes of death in nigeria, and it's really just science. Your sample size doesn't have to be the whole country.
You don't even need 1/100th of the whole country before your research can be said to be valid
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by gidjah(m): 9:33pm On Jul 12, 2017
I don't expect most men to last long once they get married o!, too many 'ONE CHANCE WOMEN 'on earth this days , they (the women ) are the major causes of the untimely death , they trouble Their men until they loose control, they emotionally mess their men uo, they nag until the man can't come back home on time and fall into the hands of another karishika (and thus die b4 his time), they cause the men to develop hbp and hypertension and madness too,all this factors contributes to the short life span of the man.make una no adjuge the reason to be bad driving and smoking o!my land lady na case study (a serious terrible benue idoma )
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by EfemenaXY: 9:39pm On Jul 12, 2017
gidjah:
I don't expect most men to last long once they get married o!, too many 'ONE CHANCE WOMEN 'on earth this days , they (the women ) are the major causes of the untimely death , they trouble Their men until they loose control, they emotionally mess their men uo, they nag until the man can't come back home on time and fall into the hands of another karishika (and thus die b4 his time), they cause the men to develop hbp and hypertension and madness too,all this factors contributes to the short life span of the man.make una no adjuge the reason to be bad driving and smoking o!my land lady na case study (a serious terrible benue idoma )

Then don't marry na. Na by force? Shioor

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by gidjah(m): 9:48pm On Jul 12, 2017
EfemenaXY:

Then don't marry na. Na by force? Shioor
haba sister mi, why u dey binu now, we are not fighting na, kilode sef? just baring out my mind ni o!(namaste)!
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by EfemenaXY: 9:56pm On Jul 12, 2017
gidjah:
haba sister mi, why u dey binu now, we are not fighting na, kilode sef? just baring out my mind ni o!(namaste)!

Same here.

If you feel marriage will send you to an early grave, then why do it? It's afterall just a piece of paper, abi?

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 12, 2017
DarkRebel69:

it's not a myth but a fact. plenty of research has been done on it. it's not a new thing... it has been happening for ages.
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by ImaIma1(f): 12:21am On Jul 13, 2017
hisgrace090:
In Nigeria , men are the burden bearers.

Odiegwu...even if the woman is a house wife.

Just try taking care of kids, cleaning the house,cooking,school runs, homework, etc just for one week. You will know that that is an occupation.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by cococandy(f): 12:37am On Jul 13, 2017
Are you guys ever responsible for your actions or anything that happens to you? Let's blame the women as usual

gidjah:
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by armyofone(m): 5:02am On Jul 13, 2017
grin @karishika, what's that ?

gidjah:
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by Afam4eva(m): 6:21am On Jul 13, 2017
Can someone confirm if this trend of husbands dying before their wives is also common in western countries so that we can create a nexus.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by lonikit: 6:38am On Jul 13, 2017
Afam4eva:
Can someone confirm if this trend of husbands dying before their wives is also common in western countries so that we can create a nexus.

I think that is anoder tin to be considered.

cococandy come ooo,, ur attention is needed
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by cococandy(f): 7:31am On Jul 13, 2017
lonikit:

I think that is anoder tin to be considered.

cococandy come ooo,, ur attention is needed

Yea because I'm the emperor of the west.
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by gidjah(m): 8:41am On Jul 13, 2017
armyofone:
grin @karishika, what's that ?

you might wanna ask falz, got that , nick meme from him via one his track(can't remember the track name sef)
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by gidjah(m): 8:43am On Jul 13, 2017
EfemenaXY:

Same here.

If you feel marriage will send you to an early grave, then why do it? It's afterall just a piece of paper, abi?
haba ! not like that, just that you women can be very funny in marriages o, you guys gat no chill when it comes to running your mouth at home.Anyways, marriage is good and honourable .
Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by odaniel1(m): 5:07am On Jul 14, 2017
cococandy:

I don't care

Focus on this one. Thanks

Careful, Blunt women have a tendency to be raped....oops!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes by cococandy(f): 5:18am On Jul 14, 2017
odaniel1:

Careful, Blunt women have a tendency to be raped....oops!
Yea threaten me with rape so that I'll cower in fear and not speak my mind.

Why don't you come say it to my face, let's see who will end up getting raped between me and you?

You're so lucky I don't know where you are. After dealing with you, the next time you hear the word rape, you'll have post traumatic stress for the rest of your life. Cowardly skunk.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advise Me My Husband Is A Tattletale / Which Way Should He Go? / 5 Things You Need To Know About Solar Rechargeable Fan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.