Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,231 members, 7,836,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe (19797 Views)

Poll: Do I Pay the Rent or Go Ahead and Pay my Tithe Now

Rent First: 63% (105 votes)
Tithe Takes Precedent: 36% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by ogajim(m): 4:45pm On Feb 09, 2010
TITHING IS A SCAM, yes I said it, now what?

I asked MR(?) viaro the other day, " will you call people who REFUSE to give to the Haiti relief fund through the Red cross stingy even if they have given via other means or can't give because of their situations?"

I got insults instead of a simple answer which I guess is his own brand of Christian meekness. Our Lord Jesus Christ told us to LOVE even those we perceive as enemies.

I wrote something the other day about some Nigerian Churches calling their members to Church despite the storm in this area (Feds are still shut by the way) and he went on to call me "fair weather Christian", another example of his meekness, I could go on but why?

Each of us can do what they please but at the end, we have to ANSWER to the Most High: Those of us (Kunle is the BOSS here) who want to spread the word about this new sale of indulgence should not be deterred by the name calling, intimidation, and other tactics they might come up with because stealing is stealing even those done in the name of the Lord.

The antics of a dude on PMS is not enough, if you're a QB and you see a Line backer like LT on your trail, you take a knee if you've got any sense, think about that for a minute omo iya (abi na iyawo?) cheesy
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by Traugott(m): 4:54pm On Feb 09, 2010
Enigma, as much as I respect my guy Viaro, if he yarns dust about the Christian faith I will take him up on it. But here you see KunleOshob and Ogajim saying TITHING IS A SCAM, and you keep quiet. Yet you guys claim you have no problems with Christians who willingly strike a covenant with God in the name of tithes, and you double-back and say its a scam? As long as that is your view, I can only wish you Godspeed.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 5:03pm On Feb 09, 2010
ogajim:

I said earlier: Tithing is NOT a scam - yes, I said it: so heck what?

I asked MR(?) viaro the other day, " will you call people who REFUSE to give to the Haiti relief fund through the Red cross stingy even if they have given via other means or can't give because of their situations?"

I got insults instead of a simple answer which I guess is his own brand of Christian meekness. Our Lord Jesus Christ told us to LOVE even those we perceive as enemies.

I served you the very thing you asked for and will serve it again if you try that hypocrisy with me. Go back and post the exchange between us (you and me) on that very page and remind yourself of the games you were trying to play. I asked you to show me where I ever denied anyone the privilege of supporting the Red Cross or Haiti relief effort - just where did I ever suggest such a denial - but you never once showed anything for your false accusations.

I have thought you anti-tithing lot were reasonable, but it turns out to my surprise that the hallmark of your 'humility' is to lie up and down the street and then wait for the thread to progress so you can sneak in here to lie some more - that is the brand of your own "meekness" which you drag upon the name of Christ! Well done - but viaro won't buy the hypocrisy you're parading here.

I wrote something the other day about some Nigerian Churches calling their members to Church despite the storm in this area (Feds are still shut by the way) and he went on to call me "fair weather Christian", another example of his meekness, I could go on but why?

I also asked you why you were far too disturbed that some churches would be minded to worship if it does not disturb you, but what did you say?

Each of us can do what they please but at the end, we have to ANSWER to the Most High: Those of us (Kunle is the BOSS here) who want to spread the word about this new sale of indulgence should not be deterred by the name calling, intimidation, and other tactics they might come up with because stealing is stealing even those done in the name of the Lord.

Rather than show your boss that he has not been showing Christian virtue by his lying inconsistencies, you're waving your hypocrisy behind his back and pretending not to notice that he also has been castigating other Christians with name calling, intimidation, and other tactics unbecoming of the name 'Christian'? What have Pastors like Tunde Bakare stolen from you anti-tithers? Have you thought about how you in particular would answer before the Almighty for the derision you threw against others? Lying is Lying even though you flavour it with the name of Jesus or God Almighty!

The antics of a dude on PMS is not enough, if you're a QB and you see a Line backer like LT on your trail, you take a knee if you've got any sense, think about that for a minute omo iya (abi na iyawo?) cheesy

You ought to be on some expired drugs or meds soaked in Spanish liquor. Stop playing the joker with these games of who's your BOSS - lying twerps!
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 5:07pm On Feb 09, 2010
Traugott:

Enigma, as much as I respect my guy Viaro, if he yarns dust about the Christian faith I will take him up on it.

A good friend is one who would rather not pat my back and urge me on in deceit. Thank you for not letting me slide. cheesy

But here you see KunleOshob and Ogajim saying TITHING IS A SCAM, and you keep quiet. Yet you guys claim you have no problems with Christians who willingly strike a covenant with God in the name of tithes, and you double-back and say its a scam?

Don't waste your time - anti-tithers have a huge problem with people who believe in tithing! That is why I have waited to see which anti-tither would simply declare that "tithing is NOT a scam" if they are genuinely having no problem with any Christian tithing.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by Enigma(m): 5:08pm On Feb 09, 2010
Traugott:

Enigma, as much as I respect my guy Viaro, if he yarns dust about the Christian faith I will take him up on it. But here you see KunleOshob and Ogajim saying TITHING IS A SCAM, and you keep quiet. Yet you guys claim you have no problems with Christians who willingly strike a covenant with God in the name of tithes, and you double-back and say its a scam? As long as that is your view, I can only wish you Godspeed.

I "keep quiet"? How about this then??
Enigma:

Not defending Kunle but to make a more general point: context!!!

It is true that Kunle could have been much more careful with his language . . . BUT

Readers of this and other/related threads must know know that, like me, Kunle has said there is no problem if a Christian who knows the truth chooses to tithe; also, Kunle has said repeatedly that his main concern is about the "pastors" who use the teaching of compulsory tithing in particular to 'fleece the flock' i.e. as a scam.

With this background and context, it really should be obvious that the statement "tithing is a scam" especially along with the context of the particular post in which it was made could not be intended to be absolute and/or incapable of qualification.

I make this point, again not so much as to defend Kunle, but so as to tie it to the now 'famous' "semantic pedantry" point.

Are you worried that if you answer the questions I posed, you would be admitting that you now agree . . . .

Oh by the way is mavenbox also your "guy"/girl?   wink smiley

Edited
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 5:13pm On Feb 09, 2010
Enigma: With this background and context, it really should be obvious that the statement "tithing is a scam" especially along with the context of the particular post in which it was made could not be intended to be absolute and/or incapable of qualification

When someone comes up to say -
ogajim:

. . should we stand by and look, wondering if that was "absolute" or 'relative' - especially if he does so in all caps??
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by Enigma(m): 5:25pm On Feb 09, 2010
Actually Traugott, I have a simpler question for you: when somebody said here that those who don't pay tithes are robbing God and are going to hell, did you or did you not keep quiet?

In any event, if you are still so minded do please answer the questions I posed.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by ttalks(m): 5:28pm On Feb 09, 2010
viaro:

When someone comes up to say - . . should we stand by and look, wondering if that was "absolute" or 'relative' - especially if he does so in all caps??

So, what would be ur suggestion as to dealing with a situation like this?
Direct confrontation with the person that made the comment or a general rebuttal of the comment?
Which do you think it should be?

And for either option, how consistent should it be? Should it be anytime the comment comes up or is indicated, or should it be just a few remarks to refute such a comment?  
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2010
Enigma:

Actually Traugott, I have a simpler question for you: when somebody said here that those who don't pay tithes are robbing God and are going to hell, did you or did you not keep quiet?

I'm sure that we did not keep quiet but addressed olowolekan's comments about robbing God.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 5:36pm On Feb 09, 2010
ttalks:

So, what would be your suggestion as to dealing with a situation like this?
Direct confrontation with the person that made the comment or a general rebuttal of the comment?
Which do you think it should be?

Both. We have addressed it in a general way, as well directly addressed it to the person or persons who keep repeating such misleading statements.

And for either option, how consistent should it be? Should it be anytime the comment comes up or is indicated, or should it be just a few remarks to refute such a comment?

As consistent as should be. You would notice that initially we tried to reason with these guys - did they show any intention to be reasonable? If the corrections on that same concern have been noted and NOT REPEATED, what would be the reason for any one to repeatedly address it?
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 5:59pm On Feb 09, 2010
@Pilgrim.1/ trauggot
Even i have said and i still maintain that tithing the way it is preached, defined and practised in today's churches has no sound biblical basis and by implication a scam since it is the doctrines of men presented as the word of God however i did make concessions that if the tither is told the whole truth about tithing and is made to realize that it is not in anyway a cristian obligation but simply a recommendation of the church to promote the ministry and the tither still purposes in his heart to tithe, then it is absolutely ok since the truth has been told in this case. Instead of my dear pilgrim.1 to admit i made concessions she and the illiterate girl mabell go ahead and accuse me of being inconsistent. And to make matters worse pilgrim.1 now has the presence of mind to accuse me of not proclaiming "tithing is not a scam" after i took pains to explain conditions under which it was ok and acceptable to God

Some of us already know that tithing is NOT compulsory - and we have been bold to say it so many times already! Here again I have said it. BUT - Is it too much for an anti-tither to simply proclaim that 'Tithing is NOT a scam'??
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by ogajim(m): 6:05pm On Feb 09, 2010
Viaro can keep his/her brand of Christianity, name calling out of PMS induced frustration is not enough to make me lose my temper or operate below my usual standards, maybe the little Italian apartment is getting too claustrophobic? get out for some air dude(?)

You still don't get the Red Cross rhetorical question so just take a pass, I have passed beyond the insults stage, very elementary if you ask me.

Remember that nothing so quickly kills a man as the publicity he gives himself, there is nothing infallibly prophetic about pessimistic or cynical conjecture.

Blessings!

## Wondering when the NL parish/chapel of these Churches will be officially opened and folks not "ashamed" to NAME their denomination undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 6:17pm On Feb 09, 2010
ogajim:

You still don't get the Red Cross rhetorical question so just take a pass, I have passed beyond the insults stage, very elementary if you ask me.

Don't mind the silly child, she is still yet to respond to y question of what exactly was anulled in Heb 7:18, instead she started writing epistles to confuse herself and other simple minded readers. grin
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 6:19pm On Feb 09, 2010
KunleOshob:

@Pilgrim.1/ trauggot
You don't have to confuse me with pilgrim.1 - if she left you sorry on Nairaland, that is understandable. I hope you're not blind in quoting viaro's posts and mistaking them for pilgrim's? I understand your romance for her and how badly you miss her, but dude - viaro is not a gay and I'm not intending to drop my trousers for you.

Even i have said and i still maintain that tithing the way it is preached, defined and practised in today's churches has no sound biblical basis and by implication a scam since it is the doctrines of men presented as the word of God however i did make concessions that if the tither is told the whole truth about tithing and is made to realize that it is not in anyway a cristian obligation but simply a recommendation of the church to promote the ministry and the tither still purposes in his heart to tithe, then it is absolutely ok since the truth has been told in this case. Instead of my dear pilgrim.1 to admit i made concessions she and the illiterate girl mabell go ahead and accuse me of being inconsistent. And to make matters worse pilgrim.1 now has the presence of mind to accuse me of not proclaiming "tithing is not a scam" after i took pains to explain conditions under which it was ok and acceptable to God

Em, dude - you were too busy lying up and down the street and had no conscience to shape up to consistencies telling the truth. It is simple. I am willing to accept that to err is human - who doesn't err?? And yes, I have erred several times, but I don't try to turn round and use all sorts of cosmetic language to dress up those errors to make them the obvious lies that you manufacture.

If it was only viaro that saw them, cool - no problems. But if someone else (mabell) saw them and pointed them out, why call her illiterate? Just because you can't control your doubletalk and lying serpentine assertions does not make anyone else illiterate simply because they can see for themselves that you are a gutless liar. You can take pains to excuse that one again, and perhaps make provision for us to repeat the lies and doubletalk you are so characteristic of. .  that simpletons like ogajim will be hailing you as 'BOSS'! Yeah, BOSS indeed of Nairaland anti-tithing liars!
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 6:26pm On Feb 09, 2010
ogajim:

Viaro can keep his/her brand of Christianity, name calling out of PMS induced frustration is not enough to make me lose my temper or operate below my usual standards, maybe the little Italian apartment is getting too claustrophobic? get out for some air dude(?)

I enjoy my apartment, thank you. And yes, I always keep my brand of Christianity - it eschews lies from your camp and has no stomach for your LYING BOSS! grin

You tried to lie there, dude. That was why I asked you to produce where I ever suggested a denial of anyone supporting the Red Cross or Haiti relief efforts. 'Rhetorical question' indeed - please pass, I need fresh air from your lies! grin

Remember that nothing so quickly kills a man as the publicity he gives himself, there is nothing infallibly prophetic about pessimistic or cynical conjecture.

Have I solicited for your publicity? Dude, please call for a new refill of your meds - you're smoking what's not in the book!

## Wondering when the NL parish/chapel of these Churches will be officially opened and folks not "ashamed" to NAME their denomination undecided undecided undecided undecided

Em, you name yours if it troubles you. It's a free world to damn your pastors from your restlessness.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by ogajim(m): 6:48pm On Feb 09, 2010
Viaro, you're acting very much like Mugabe now smiley

How could I have lied about the Red Cross question that you couldn't even comprehend? Let's do this again and see if your meds kick in enough for you to grasp the question, If someone decides to give to Haitian relief through a means other than the Red Cross, are they still giving to the cause?
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by olowolekan(m): 7:02pm On Feb 09, 2010
Well, all can say for now is to let you know again that tithe is not optional but compulsory.All you have read from Holy Bible is not enough to drive the point home.,se.The problem with you is that you need to be washed with the blood of Jesus before you reason like Him.I quoted from  both old and new testament to suport my points yet your heart could not take it.Anyone who fails to tithe is a thief and is robbing God.A thief will not get to Heaven.
A christian woman failed to tithe for some month and she observed the sales was decreasing and later no customer patronised her.She went to God in prayer and God spoke ''You are a thief,you have been robbing me,so so date you sold this and this, where is mine'' She repented and restituted and her business came back to life.We are serving a living God not graven image or carved wood.Tithe is not optional.God bless you as you restitute.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by Traugott(m): 7:06pm On Feb 09, 2010
The Christian walk is unto every man according to his own faith, without which it is impossible to please God. Tithes are covered there as well, and it is the role of the pastor to explain the significance of tithes for those who choose to do it. Its the role of the Christian to decide if & when to tithe.

Simple illustration: when I was in SS1 a course adviser told us that Further Maths was a good idea. It was not compulsory, and it was difficult. Many others were still battling with Math, but I took a leap of faith and soon I was excellent at it, winning school contests, harvesting distinctions. But that was not the end, because it gave me a constant edge in my science & tech at university courses. What if I majored on the F.Maths & failed other WAEC courses? I wouldnt even have a chance at using my stored-up advantage.

And thats just like how it is with tithes: someone chooses to tap into an established fruitful PERSONAL covenant with God, but it could go wrong if they ignore the weightier aspects, like Jesus said.

It is wrong to tell others not to act by personal faith and say its a scam. I wonder what would have happened if Abraham had listened to his detractors. The one time he listened to Sara he had Ishmael and the world of Isaac is still feeling the heat today.

Enigma: I have nothing to say to your posts above. I have already said a lot on this thread.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 7:13pm On Feb 09, 2010
olowolekan:

Well, all can say for now is to let you know again that tithe is not optional but compulsory.All you have read from Holy Bible is not enough to drive the point home.,se.The problem with you is that you need to be washed with the blood of Jesus before you reason like Him.I quoted from both old and new testament to suport my points yet your heart could not take it[b].Anyone who fails to tithe is a thief and is robbing God.A thief will not get to Heaven[/b].
A christian woman failed to tithe for some month and she observed the sales was decreasing and later no customer patronised her.She went to God in prayer and God spoke ''You are a thief,you have been robbing me,so so date you sold this and this, where is mine'' She repented and restituted and her business came back to life.We are serving a living God not graven image or carved wood.Tithe is not optional.God bless you as you restitute.

Bros please carry your filthy lies away from this forum, the tithing debate on this forum has gone way beyond the illiterate pendantricks some of you use to intimidate people to part with a part of their income. tongue I would suggest to you to rather ask questions and the learned poeple on that subject would treat your ignorance with appropriate bible verses on the subject. Meanwhile i suggest you stop your arrongant expression of ignorance on this thread. angry
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by Enigma(m): 7:13pm On Feb 09, 2010
Traugott:

Enigma: I have nothing to say to your posts above. I have already said a lot on this thread.

Why am I not surprised?

Anyway, genuine best wishes to you.

BTW, however, when next you speak to "your guy", don't be surprised if mavenb0x and Pilgrim.1 also join in.  wink
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by Traugott(m): 7:16pm On Feb 09, 2010
KunleOshob, what is Enigma talking about? Viaro and Traugott are the discussants here, of what concern is mavenb0x and pilgrim?
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by olowolekan(m): 7:19pm On Feb 09, 2010
my email is olowolekan@yahoo.com.Mail all your facts to me.May the Lord bless you as you do.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by ttalks(m): 7:20pm On Feb 09, 2010
olowolekan:

Well, all can say for now is to let you know again that tithe is not optional but compulsory.All you have read from Holy Bible is not enough to drive the point home.,se.The problem with you is that you need to be washed with the blood of Jesus before you reason like Him.I quoted from  both old and new testament to suport my points yet your heart could not take it.Anyone who fails to tithe is a thief and is robbing God.A thief will not get to Heaven.

^^^^ Please o, we need more rebutals/refutals against this heresy .  grin
Kunle has given his which is very normal.
But I'm expecting rebutals from those who willingly tithe with the knowledge that tithing isn't compulsory.
Let's go there! ! !
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 7:21pm On Feb 09, 2010
ogajim:

Viaro, you're acting very much like Mugabe now smiley

I apologise, ogajim. I did not intend to come across to you that way, and viaro is not above apologising where he has erred.

How could I have lied about the Red Cross question that you couldn't even comprehend? Let's do this again and see if your meds kick in enough for you to grasp the question, If someone decides to give to Haitian relief through a means other than the Red Cross, are they still giving to the cause?

I'm not on meds, dear sir. However, right from the time you made reference to the Red Cross and Haiti relief effort, you sounded like I had suggested that some people were stingy. Please correct me if I'm wrong - but perhaps I should try and show the sequence from here:

(1)  Pastor AIO had asked me two very simple questions, and I gave my answers.

(2)  Consequently, you accused me of sounding like "some of these money mongers fleecing the flock bling in the name of our Lord" (I don't know what brought that about). It was in that same instance that you went on to say to me -
I am practical enough to know how and when I should give and to whom, are you trying to tell me that just because some folks now don't want to give to the Haiti relief through the Red Cross means they are too stingy to give?

(3)   My reply to that, partly quoted below:
Did you read me anywhere denying anyone the privlege of giving to Haiti relief efforts or to the Red Cross? Where? Quote me directly! Are you now so desperate you must LIE on top of everything?

The point was that I did not say anything suggesting what you had made out. If I did, I waited for you to quote me and address that part of any comments I made that might've suggested such. You did not oblige - and the subsequent posts you made were all flavoured with unwelcome innuendoes.

The tendency of these misrepresentations (in my opinion and experience) is that they tend to act like slow poison in the minds of readers who stumble across them and don't have the time to dig for themselves what the actual issues were. Now again, where i might have been mistaken, do you care to show me that I suggested either that:
(a) some people should not give to relief efforts? or that:
(b) I tried to discourage anyone else from giving at all?

Whatever you may arrive upon, it does not mean that people cannot reason with me. I've often said that I'm open to discussion and invited/extended the same to others. Others have pointed out to me that I sounded brash/harsh (ttalks and aletheia) when addressing you, and I acknowledged the fact without trying to pride myself in it. A few examples why I responded to you in such manner:

(a)
ogajim: Viaro dude, slow your roll. You are beginning to sound like some of these money mongers fleecing the flock bling in the name of our Lord
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-388653.32.html#msg5432894
(b)
There is an old Yoruba saying " until the rotten tooth is pulled away, the mouth must chew with caution",  I pray for forgiveness if any of my posts came off as conceited, not my idea or intention
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-388653.0.html#msg5428557

In (b) above, it's like you enjoy insulting your readers and then asking for forgiveness in the same breath! That really does not help a healthy discussion.

Again, I asked you to show me where I denied anyone the privilege of supporting relief efforts - and because you didn't oblige, it made me wonder that you were deliberately misrepresenting me - which was why my no-nonsense replies to you.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 7:26pm On Feb 09, 2010
Traugott:

KunleOshob, what is Enigma talking about? Viaro and Traugott are the discussants here, of what concern is mavenb0x and pilgrim?

Cool down. . cool down! By now you should have decoded the paranoia being played out here. . to these guys, 'viaro = pilgrim.1'; now, 'pilgrim.1 = mavenbox'; and then again, 'mavenbox is viaro'! (and, of course, viaro = pilgrim.1 = mabell) It is all the same thing, no? grin

Hahahaha!! I can't find enough lungs to laugh at these guys. Traugott, watch out. . soon you will be named the reincarnated DeepSight or Nuclearboy! grin
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by Enigma(m): 7:33pm On Feb 09, 2010
Since our friend Traugott has pulled out, I am going to just put these questions up for readers generally and for "posterity".

Which of the following do you agree with? Which do you disagree with?

Indeed the bone of contention is that those who support "tithing" today are essentially saying, either directly or indirectly, that it is compulsory or that it is a Christian obligation. A lot of the debate would be unnecessary IF certain simple acknowledgments are made.

1. We who argue against the modern teaching of "tithing" acknowledge and accept that a Christian can voluntarily choose to "tithe" (including giving it in the form of money to a church) - preferably when s/he knows that it is not compulsory and s/he is not coerced or manipulated into doing it.

2. Those who support "tithing" today acknowledge that it is not a Christian obligation.

3. Those who support "tithing" would agree that a "tither" can choose not to give the monetary "tithe" to his/her church or to any church at all; thus

4. Those who support "tithing" would agree that every month, a "tither" can choose to give the "tithes" to charity e.g. to the poor, the orphan the widow.

5. Those who support "tithing" would acknowledge that the "tither" does not have to give/pay the "tithe" in money but that it can be in other forms including giving of food to the hungry (to take a less controversial example).

With that I am now actually going to take a back seat on this thread and only come in again when I find particular reason to.
cool
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by viaro: 7:43pm On Feb 09, 2010
ttalks:

But I'm expecting rebutals from those who willingly tithe with the knowledge that tithing isn't compulsory.
Let's go there! ! !

Oh yes, we shall go there - and good point!

We have said it before, and continue to say so - tithing is NOT compulsory. I know how this disheartens some people who so much believe it should be compulsory (our brethren olowolekan, and if I'm not mistaken, Tonye-t. .  etc). It is not that viaro intends to damn anybody, but even when I believe in tithing, I should say again: tithing is NOT compulsory.

Instead of going through another trail of exegesis, perhaps we should just remind others that many people "who support tithing today" do not argue for a compulsory tithe or compulsory giving. Tithing was never taught in the Bible as an element of salvation (another way of saying this is that tithing is not a salvific element of our faith) - no amount of giving, donations, freewill contributions, alms, collections, etc., etc., will ever secure anybody a place in heaven - nor will the opposite of not being able to give send anyone to hell!

An example (there are so many more) that I have referenced about tithers not teaching a compulsory tithe is Pastor Tunde Bakare. I know of many preachers and churches around the world outside Nigeria who don't preach a compulsory or mandated tithe(s), but I have learnt to make reference to local names within Nigeria - since it seems that many Nigerians are more inclined to what obtains in Nigeria than elsewhere.

Pastor Tunde Bakare again he says: ‘Do I pay tithe? Definitely.’ A statement which is that simple could not be clearer; but he went on to state in no uncertain terms: ‘But I don’t make it a law for everybody.’ In fact, he had already declared much earlier that:
[list]
Tithes are to be used to take care of widows, the helpless, and services in the house of God. Why should they come to you to say we want to pay NEPA bills, we want to pay church staff? People that are working in the ministry have to be paid and the organisation has to be run. But it’s never compulsory. If anybody tells you if you don’t pay tithe you  will remain tight, greed in his heart is influencing that because Christ has become the cross for us.
(read it here)[/list]
Does that sound like Pastor Bakare is preaching a ‘compulsory tithe’ - even “today”?

Now to our friend olowolekan, since you left your email address (and supposing you're in Nigeria), you could try and contact Pastor Tunde Bakare to help you understand why tithing is NOT compulsory. It does not mean that some of us don't tithe or that we don't believe in tithing - in fact, viaro does. That is why you will find more help from a respected teacher of the Word who will not make any form of your giving a matter of coerced or compulsory exercise as you live your faith before God.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by ttalks(m): 7:49pm On Feb 09, 2010
^^^ Ok. . . .well done!

The eagle eye is going to monitor progress. angry grin
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by Traugott(m): 8:02pm On Feb 09, 2010
viaro has done justice to that fallacy of olowolekan. Aside, a point i have seen thrown around a lot here is that tithe is not monetary. But for those that want to tithe and they are living in a monetary world, then I believe a trade by barter will work: goods for cash. This way, whoever desires to tithe will be able to. I am a computer programmer, so what use will 16,200 lines of code be to a human life if I burn it to a disc? That fraction of my program cannot even stand on its own, so rather I tithe its monetary value in cash or assets.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by olowolekan(m): 8:30pm On Feb 09, 2010
The story I narrated happened in my church.I am not a pastor but a believer like you.If you pay tithe, do you pay it to me?But as far as I understand and know,tithe is compulsory.Pastor bakare may not agree with other pastors on the topic and he has not the final say.The Bible is our guide and not pastor Bakare.I just shared someone testimony.Why are there doctrinal diffences since we all use the same Bible.Let's leave the matter to God.As many are led by the spirit of God are the sons of God.Now an assignment.Let us forget all we know about tithe and go to God in prayer for direction.Whatsoever God tells you please mail me and I will do likewise.May the Lord help us.Amen
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by ogajim(m): 9:00pm On Feb 09, 2010
Viaro, my point (since you avoided it or didn't get it) with the Haitian relief question is this:

Since it is not compulsory that our donations to the Haitian relief efforts go through the Red Cross,  it can't be compulsory either that our Christian GIVING be through a Church or Pastor, you can see a need in someone or a group of people and try your best to fulfill it. Just because others don't share your principle of giving doesn't make them anti this or anti that, we need to learn to control our emotions no matter the situation. Insults are for elementary school or even pre K kids who are still learning the ropes.

Confidence doesn't always equal conceit, in one of your quoted responses where I wrote in German that I was no kid, you replied calling me a kid in German, do I follow that up? No way Jose.

It might help to get testimony from those who tithe knowingly but I do understand it is not a democracy in here smiley

Olowo, you seem to be on your own here dude!

TrauGod, Your youth is showing but is not an offense, go deep young man and I could get you the ball. wink

, " Ema jeka gbagbe Jesu, ", Some folks around us need more than just money (which isn't everything unless one becomes GREEDY)

Remember not to "let your left hand know what your right hand is doing"

God bless.
Re: Pay House Rent Or Pay Tithe by mabell: 9:33pm On Feb 09, 2010
Well about paying your tithe or rent,the tithe should actually come first.see in malachi 3:10,the bible says bring ye
It did not make it optional. Tithing is compulsory and it also says to prove God if he will not bless you to overflow and also shield you,your finances,family,job and all that concerns you from the devourer. So its simple,even your rent will be attended to just trust in God.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Is Gambling On Football A Sin / Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online / The Most Committed Atheists Were Once Chtistians (opinion?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.