Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,911 members, 7,863,127 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:59 AM

It Is Still "Biscuit Bone'', Not "Brisket Bone". - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / It Is Still "Biscuit Bone'', Not "Brisket Bone". (342 Views)

Biscuit Bone VS Brisket Bone / It is actually 'Biscuit Bone', not 'Brisket Bone' / Brisket Bone Or Biscuit Bone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

It Is Still "Biscuit Bone'', Not "Brisket Bone". by MRAKBEE(m): 11:29am On Jul 12, 2017
So when i saw the Brisket vs Biscuit Bone argument on Nairaland i decided to go check and confirm if my English teacher whom i first heard the word from didn't know that he was making a mistake.

Today it’s the so called proper word for a Nigerian coinage of soft bones from beef called ‘biscuit bone’
So some smart by half internet user, decided that the word was brisket bone and not biscuit bone and it has as usual caught up, again with no one bothering to verify the veracity or otherwise.
Me? my data is not only for Facebook or Instagram (my two favourite apps) Google is my indispensable one, so here goes:
‘Brisket is a CUT OF MEAT (emphasis mine) from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal.
The beef brisket is one of the nine beef primal cuts, though the precise definition of the cut differs internationally. The brisket muscles include the superficial and deep pectorals.
As cattle do not have collar bones, these muscles support about 60% of the body weight of standing/moving cattle. This requires a significant amount of connective tissue, so the resulting meat must be cooked correctly to tenderize the connective tissue.
According to the Random House Dictionary of the English Language, Second Edition, the term derives from the Middle English brusket which comes from the earlier Old Norse brjósk, meaning cartilage. The cut overlies the sternum, ribs and connecting costal cartilages.’
So there you have it, there’s nothing like brisket bone. Whoever coined that phrase must have had a reason for that, mine would be probably the soft nature of the bones which is akin to biscuits.
Don’t thank me, use your internet for intellectually stimulating questions and issues too!

https://dailytimes.ng/education/actually-biscuit-bone-not-brisket-bone/amp/
Re: It Is Still "Biscuit Bone'', Not "Brisket Bone". by iyanuden(m): 11:45am On Jul 12, 2017
Seconded!!

(1) (Reply)

Direct Entry Into Medicine / Are You Ready To Export? Export Trade Seminar / We Are Not Hiring Yet – Neco Disowns Recruitment Syndicate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.