Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,839 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures (8998 Views)

Ancient Egyptian Woman With 70 Hair Extensions Discovered / African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. / Pictures Of Hair Styles, Weave-ons, And Braids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by baybbootz(f): 11:24pm On Feb 02, 2010
I came across an article by a popstar- Jamelia,it gave a few 'ooohhhs and ahhss' shocked shocked shocked. Anyway i thought i should share it as well with loads of ma sisters who are stuck on HAIR EXTENSIONS

Standing inside a Hindu temple in Chennai, India, I watch horrified as a two-year-old girl with long, dark tresses has her head shaved.
She screams as the clippers buzz around her ears and her hair tumbles to the floor.
She is clearly terrified and no doubt has little comprehension of what is happening to her.
Beside her, her mother is having her head shaved, too.
This is a religious sacrifice: the shaving represents a last-ditch plea to a higher power to save their home from being repossessed.
But to me, it appears to be the ultimate in exploitation.
Their hair is casually tossed into a bin, but it will never actually be thrown away.
Though they do not know it, soon their pigtails and plaits will be sold to hair dealers and then shipped on to the salons of Western Europe.
As I watch the lady and her daughter shuffle out, hopeful that this huge sacrifice will make some tangible difference to their lives, I make a promise to myself that I will never wear hair extensions again.
Then I heard from a friend, earlier this year, that the hair used in the extensions could be taken from corpses. I was horrified.
How did I know I wasn't wearing a dead person's hair?
And if I was, had they agreed to that before they passed away, or had they simply had it shaved off in a mortuary without their family's knowledge?
In Russia I witness men and women working the rubbish dumps, actually searching for and collecting hair that has been pulled out of hair brushes.
Quite simply, this is their family business. It is, they tell me, a job their fathers and grandfathers have done before them.
It might seem disgusting, but it's the only income they have.
It is a pitiful existence, and it is fuelled by the demand from Britain and other countries
Next, Tatiana takes me to her home town of Kashin, another rural area, where we meet a 13-year-old girl, also called Tatiana, who has long hair which reaches her backside.
She tells us she wishes to sell her hair because she has been told she will be paid for it.
To my mind, it's a travesty - this girl's hair is gorgeous and she seems too young to really know for sure whether she's making the right decision.
Usually, this full head of luxurious hair would have cost just £20. Today, perhaps because I am watching, Tatiana pays the girl £100.
It's the equivalent of most people's monthly wages here, and the girl is over the moon.
But I feel incredibly uncomfortable about the entire process - there's something so deeply personal about your hair: it should be every woman's pride and joy

If a thread of this kind has been posted before, my bad. embarassed

For the complete article check,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1036155/Why-Ill-wear-hair-extensions-pop-star-Jamelia.html
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by baybbootz(f): 11:27pm On Feb 02, 2010
the hindu temple

Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by baybbootz(f): 11:31pm On Feb 02, 2010
more pix

Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by baybbootz(f): 11:33pm On Feb 02, 2010
the russian

Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by mohawkchic(f): 4:22am On Feb 03, 2010
Has Any Lady Ever Considered Where Hair Attachement Or Wig Comes From?:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-155998.0.html
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by Nobody: 1:17am On Feb 04, 2010
Thats why some use synthetic hair, haha its man-made grin
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by ayettymama(f): 2:01am On Feb 04, 2010
is that jamelia??

SHE LIES

SHES A FFIN LIAR!!!

I STILL SAW THIS GIRL IN EXTENSIONS??

WHAT SHE ON ABT?

sebi nobody is forcing them to shave thier head??

and some of them are making money!

plus its hair, its not organs or anything irreplaceable??

wats the fuss??
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by Nobody: 2:17am On Feb 04, 2010
ayettymama:

is that jamelia??

SHE LIES

SHES A FFIN LIAR!!!

WHAT SHE ON ABT?

wats the fuss??

Jamelia will do anything for a buck or two. I saw her wearing after she shot this show. Lies lies lies. I agree that these women give their hair for religious or monetary purposes.
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by lizzybabe1(f): 2:21am On Feb 04, 2010
ayettymama:

is that jamelia??

SHE LIES

SHES A FFIN LIAR!!!

WHAT SHE ON ABT?

wats the fuss??

I watched the programme on TV and Jamelia never said she didn't or wouldn't wear extensions. She even went to India to search for the girl whose "hair" she wore as extensions when presenting the National Lottery Draw Show. She just wanted us all to be aware of where they came from.
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by ayettymama(f): 2:46am On Feb 04, 2010
o ok

so who wrote that article??
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by Nobody: 3:10am On Feb 04, 2010
is this Jamelia the same one on wiki?

If yes, then she does have extensions flying all over the place grin

some people have hair that flows like river and stream- good for them jare. Hair a-blowing in the breeze. So romantic. wink
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by Nobody: 4:05am On Feb 04, 2010
But I feel incredibly uncomfortable about the entire process - there's something so deeply personal about your hair: it should be every woman's pride and joy

What's the big deal? Is it today women started shaving their heads? Abeggi. undecided
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by baybbootz(f): 5:19pm On Feb 04, 2010
so who wrote that article??
jamelia wrote it.

At least now we know
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by ayettymama(f): 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2010
^^ if she wrote

then she said she wont wear the hair again!!

just cos she didnt wear it in the show

(which is quite stupid because it defies the pnt of the show ie people wear ur hair!)

but i still saw the monkey not long ago wearin weave!!

the girl likes to run her mouth anywho!

wats wrong with her??
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by baybbootz(f): 5:32pm On Feb 05, 2010
^^
forgive her ayetty,it was in the spur of the moment.
people say stuff in the spur of the moment grin grin wink
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by steaming(f): 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2010
meeeeeeennnnnnnnnnn! dis is reeeeeealiiiiiiiiiiii freeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkyyyyyy, so human hair is really human hair?
Re: The Origin Of Hair Extensions-with Pictures by zohahunt: 5:43pm On Feb 04, 2011
This is so mean, why women cut their beautiful hair and gave them to the hair dresser and it's really scares me, I am wearing a hair extension which was cut by someone else and now I am wearing. I am not getting any word, Money can let you do anything.

http://www.linella.dk/

(1) (Reply)

Bonanza Place Order For Top Uk Designers For Pant Trousers. / Women In Bras / Lose Weight Naturally Within 9 Days Without Any Side Effect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.