Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,686 members, 7,865,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 02:57 AM

Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa - Politics (204) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa (596021 Views)

Obaseki: Oshiomhole Is Afraid Of Educated People Because He Didn’t Go To School / Video: Ooni Links Aje Festival To Industrious Igbo People / Igbos Most Industrious, Innovative and Richest Tribe In Africa see proof (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (320) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deedeedee1: 8:04pm On Aug 06, 2017
laudate:

Actually, Tunde Afolabi set up Amni. undecided He invited Sani Bello to join him as a director, because Sani Bello had the funds, while he had the knowledge & expertise. He later bought over Sani Bello's shares several years later, and retired him with a huge pay-out! cheesy cool
Now that is what they call an omoluabi

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deomeelo: 8:04pm On Aug 06, 2017

Bola is the Founder and Group Managing Director of Courteville Business Solutions

Bola is the Founder and Group Managing Director of Courteville Business Solutions, a business process outsourcing and information technology solutions company and an active member of the World Business Forum, Africa CEO Forum and the Commonwealth Business Forum. His other professional affiliations include memberships of the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM) and Institute of Directors(IoD).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deedeedee1: 8:09pm On Aug 06, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

These are the qualities that make me proud of being Yoruba. Checks and balances, fairness etc. In fact the white men who came were in awe of our Oyo empire political system complete with its own checks and balances. Its unfortunate we mixed with a wrong crowd in this 'mere geographical expression'

Weldone guys for checking and verifying what you post. Yoruba don't do success at all cost. Ka ka kin ja ole, ma ya di eru apologies to dayokanu
You are right
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deedeedee1: 8:21pm On Aug 06, 2017
Who owns nairabet? laudate, deomelo any idea?
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by kaysco: 8:30pm On Aug 06, 2017
Laudate, deomeelo and every other contributors. I am really impressed with what you people are doing. I appreciate your time and effort. You people are doing a good job.

Keep it up

7 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by kn23h(m): 8:32pm On Aug 06, 2017
deedeedee1:

Yoruba grin

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deomeelo: 8:35pm On Aug 06, 2017
deedeedee1:

NairaBet Founder.

Akin Alabi

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deedeedee1: 8:37pm On Aug 06, 2017
deomeelo:

NairaBet Founder.

Akin Alabi
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deedeedee1: 8:37pm On Aug 06, 2017
kn23h:

Yoruba grin
That is lovely

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 8:40pm On Aug 06, 2017
deomeelo:

Bola is the Founder and Group Managing Director of Courteville Business Solutions

Adebola Ismail Akindele, born in Ibadan, Oyo State, is a Nigerian entrepreneur, business strategist and philanthropist. He is the Founder and Group Managing Director of Courteville Business Solutions, a provider of information technology, consulting, and business process outsourcing services.

Akindele has over three decades of professional experience spanning audit, banking, e-commerce, entrepreneurship, and technology. His firm Courteville Business Solutions, is a Nigerian Stock Exchange-listed company in the ICT sector.

Incorporated in 2004 as Courteville Investment Limited, the company went public in 2009. In 2011, it underwent a name change to its current appellation, Courteville Business Solutions. The company is an ISO 9001:2008 certified e-business solutions development company, and the patent owner of the award-winning AutoRegTM Business Solution Platform.

He is a member of the board of advisors of the East Africa Business Network (EABN). He was recognized as one of the "21 Nigerian tech CEOs at the top of their game" by the African Business Central magazine.

Bola Akindele was born on November 25, 1963 in the city of Ibadan, Oyo State. He grew up in Lagos, Nigeria and attended Ansar-Ud-deen College, Isolo, Lagos from 1974-1979. He is an alumnus of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Agriculture. He holds a master's degree in Banking & Finance from the University of Lagos in 1993 and also holds a Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA) from the International School of Management, Paris. He is also an alumnus of the London Business School and the Lagos Business School. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bola_Akindele ; https://www.thebusinessyear.com/nigeria-2015/inside-runner/interview

“We are a 20 million dollar company that has 1, 200 shareholders with an exemplary performance record. We have been profitable every year since 2008, and we have paid dividend to our shareholders for the last 5 consecutive years,” Akindele tells Commerce & Industry news in an interview.

He noted that his company has registered tremendous expansion over the last five years, and is now show-cased as a model at the Nigeria Stock Exchange.

Courteville is well known as a trusted company with a reputation for adopting fresh thinking, in providing and delivering definitive and innovative e-business solutions, in its unmatched areas of expertise, ranging from the design and development of customized software and mobile applications, through data capture services, retail business channel delivery services, and dedicated & cloud hosting services as well as tax administration consultancy services.

He also noted; “Courteville’s unique selling proposition is that we apply local ideas using local talents to handle local challenges.”

Currently, Courteville has almost 5, 000 processing points across Nigeria, some 200 employees and about 10, 000 others who are engaged indirectly across various states.

The company’s undisputable flagship solution is the AutoReg ™, a business solution tool, through which it has created the largest data capture and process platform in sub-Sahara Africa. AutoReg is the Automated Vehicle License Registration and Renewal System, and a business solution that has been launched successfully in many states across Nigeria.

The company is also involved in other e-commerce business solutions that include AutoRegLive, Webpeople, Egole Shopping Cart, Mobile Application for Reading Materials, SMS Marketing, Students’ Parent-School Education Administration and Monitoring System (P-SEAMS) amongst others. http://courtevillegroup.com/bola-akindele-corporate-strategist-per-excellence-speaks-on-success-story-of-courteville/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ki3agSmas

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deedeedee1: 8:43pm On Aug 06, 2017
I just found out that surebet is also own by a Yorubaman called olasupo badmos(badamosi)

5 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deomeelo: 8:43pm On Aug 06, 2017

Muni Shonibare

CEO IO Furniture Limited

Wheatbaker Hotel

Heritage Bank Head Office

Muni is the founder and CEO of IO Furniture Limited (formerly Interior Options), the leading Furniture Manufacturing and Interior design Consultancy Company in Nigeria.

She is the founding President of the Interior Designer’s Association of Nigeria (IDAN) which is affiliated to the International Federation of Interior Architects and Designers; and has since been the face of the Access Bank Gender Empowerment Programme for female entrepreneurs. She accomplished this recognition after successfully applying for and securing a N600 million IFC World Bank facility via Bank of Industry to fund her company’s growth strategy in 2008.

Muni Shonibare has 30 years experience as an interior designer. Since she founded her company 27 years ago, she has led IO Furniture to become the benchmark for high-end luxury furniture and accessories that cut across all industry segments. It has grown to employ over 150 multinational staff and operates a world-class factory and showroom in Lagos from where she serves her clients nationwide and in West Africa. She has also spun off a sister company, Ethniki, offering a line of indigenous design furniture and accessories. She has forged strong links and is well-regarded in the design industries of Italy, the UK, West Africa and South Africa.

MUNI SHONIBARE

Member, Advisory Board
Founded Interior Options in 1987, rebranding it as IO Furniture Limited in 2008. She has over two decades of experience as an interior designer. She graduated with a degree in Industrial Design from Ahmadu Bello University, then received a postgraduate diploma in Interior Design from the Instituto del Arte il restauro in Florence, Italy where she spent two years studying and forging links with the Italian design industry. Muni has successfully executed many large-scale projects, most notably, the re-design of the 5-star Hilton Hotel in Abuja. She is the founding President of the Interior Designer’s Association of Nigeria which is affiliated to the International Federation of Interior Designers and Architects, and is the Managing Director of Ethniki, a sister company producing a range of West African inspired furniture and accessories.

Her company, IO Furniture, has successfully executed a multitude of residential, office, and large-scale projects, and is the fore runner in the hospitality industry with successful landmark commissions such as

the re-design of the 5-star Hilton Hotel, Abuja in 2005

the Eket Airport for Mobil Producing in 2003 and more recently

Mobil and AGIP Residences

the Wheatbaker Hotel, Lagos,

Four Points by Sheraton Hotel Lagos, and

The Federal Judicial Service Commission, Abuja.

AfricInvest to name but a few

Muni Shonibare is an alumnus of Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria and the Istituto del Arte il restauro in Florence, Italy. She has a degree in Industrial Design, a postgraduate degree in Interior Design, and has attended relevant management development programmes for Business Owners at Lagos Business School.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Ereolamide: 9:24pm On Aug 06, 2017
Inasmuch as this beautiful (pardon me for lack of proper dignifying adjective) thread is of utmost importance with a very special purpose, with every post as a positive thrust forward, I'll like to impolre kn2h to kindly change the topic title, I don't want us to sound like these chestbeaters.

We are not known for bragging, abi how una see am.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by ODVanguard: 9:30pm On Aug 06, 2017

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by scholes0(m): 9:31pm On Aug 06, 2017

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by Ereolamide: 9:34pm On Aug 06, 2017
ODVanguard:

I think this present title is actually deliberate, for Google indexing purposes. My understanding is that the keywords were specifically chosen with SEO in mind. scholes0 can explain better.
If that's the reason, no wahala.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by kasabua: 9:44pm On Aug 06, 2017
Justrite nko? I dey enjoy una.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by kasabua: 9:47pm On Aug 06, 2017
Justrite nko? I dey enjoy una as oyinbo they enjoy sugar.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by kn23h(m): 9:52pm On Aug 06, 2017
Adeniran Ogunsanya Mall

Can someone create a post for this...

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deomeelo: 10:03pm On Aug 06, 2017

Oluwajare Fola-Bolumole, Founder, C.E.O, ChocBoy

Oluwajare Fola-Bolumole, C.E.O, ChocBoy Brand, graduated from the University of Ibadan, as a Mechanical Engineer, afterwards traveled to the United States of America for a training on Chocolate Manufacturing and branding, after returning to Nigeria, the ChocBoy Events kicked off in the year 2013 and this year 2015 the ChocBoy chocolate party, tagged “CHOCOLATE & ME” will be coming up on the 26th December, 2015, at the rebranded Agodi Garden, Ibadan. Ayo Alex Alao, C.E.O, Jetheights Services Limited had a chat with him and you can be rest assured it was very juicy. It’s important to take note that the ChocBoy Brand includes just six man crew, Oluwajare Fola-Bolumole(C.E.O), Bunmi Tokun (a medical doctor & Quality control manager), Tolu Olutimehin(Sociologist, Social media and personnel Consultant), Noel ( microbiologist), Oluwasegun and Oluwabusayo ( the chief baker/dessert maker), these six Galacticos are the brain behind ChocBoy Brand.

THE INTERVIEW

Welcome to Jetheights Services Limited; we are an IT Solutions, Advertisement and Human Resource company, currently operating in Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, and Kenya. We currently own and effectively run more than 16 websites which are fully operational and gaining massive momentum. Now, this is Stars Connect Studio a subsidiary of Jetheights services, Stars Connect network is a programme that brings together entrepreneurs, business owners, inspirational speakers, pastors, and leaders in the society, upcoming artistes, NGOs, people giving back to the society and the world at large.

We conduct interview sessions in our studio to find out everything we can about their journey to stardom, we hope to bring together stars who can be of benefit to one another or who can synergize with Jetheights in other to impact the community. By doing this we can reach out to everyone in the society especially the youth in order for them to make good use of their youthfulness and channel their energy towards positive and productivity activities.

Once again welcome to Stars Connect Network, could you please introduce yourself and your team members?

Well, I am Oluwajare Fola- Bolumole, and this is Tolu Olutimehin, she been on the brand for five years, and the personnel manager and social media consultant, a graduate of UI , sociologist to be precise and also a photographer , this is Bunmi Tokun, a medical doctor, she has been on board before the company was birthed ,the idea birthed in her room, when she was still a medical student in University College Hospital Ibadan(UCH), she is in charge of quality control department. Busayo, the chief baker who does more of the dessert part of the product, while I do the chocolate part. And Noel, a microbiologist with Segun has also been with us for five years. We are six major people on board.

How did you come about the concept of ChocBoy?

ChocBoy: Well, it started basically when I was in school, in my forth year while in Bunmi Tokun’s room, a friend of hers was travelling out of the country and I told her to buy chocolate worth of $100,it was about #20,000 then, she sent me a message about the types of chocolate she bought, then I called my sisters and told them we are getting lots of chocolate soon, they created a blackberry group invited almost all their friends and we sold it all. I did the same thing in 500 level(final year ) and while still in the business of selling chocolate a friend referred to me as ChocBoy, and that was how the name stuck, then while speaking with some group of people, the idea of the chocolate party came up, it was at that point I knew we needed to have a company name, register it, and do other necessary formal documentation to make it official.

What is the mission of ChocBoy?

ChocBoy: The company is divided into (2) two major arms, the Event arm and the Manufacturing arm, each has its own mission, the manufacturing arm’s mission is to reverse the cycle of having to grow cocoa in Nigeria, export it and import chocolate. We want to totally eradicate it. For the entertainment arm its mission is to start new relationship, mend broken relationship and strengthen relationship, so its focused majorly on family, we hold events from time to time, children and family events, it’s the BIGGEST FAMILY EVENT IN IBADAN, because it’s the only CHOCOLATE PARTY IN NIGERIA, it will be great!

Have you started production in Ibadan?

ChocBoy: Yes, we started last November to be precise, for now we get our raw materials cocoa especially from large scale farmers and other cocoa plantations around the country, we have not started planting cocoa yet, because we are still looking for a large piece of land where we can start planting on large scale and use for production, but productions has started already, it’s a huge milestone for us though, because on the 26th December, 2015, we are offering a Nigerian made chocolate, we want people to have a taste and feel of it before it goes into the market. The chocolate industry is a very mechanized industry, because of the low funds available, we had to cut our cost, but mindful of the ability to produce quality chocolate that will compete with any chocolate in the world, comments have been positive so far.

How many team members/employee do you have right now?

ChocBoy: Well, we established the company with the minimum capital possible, my board members are also my team members, we all work together as a team. These are people that I can always call at anytime, and of course I have a lot of huge family support, especially my elder sister, and there are also four other people I call that are really 100% devoted to what we do.

Are you looking forward to expand, and what are your major plans for 2016?

ChocBoy:The first major plan for 2016, is to make sure we send a message to the world that Ibadan now produce chocolate. Traditionally, Ibadan is known to be a place you can’t come to without eating amala, but what we want is that anyone that comes to Ibadan should not leave without a feeling of ChocBoy chocolate. Also, we are trying to make history in which people will leave this country with ChocBoy chocolate and present it to anyone abroad as a proudly Nigerian made chocolate, precisely from Ibadan.

Why ChocBoy, why not ChocGirl or ChocFamily?

ChocBoy: That’s a very good question, now what we are trying to do is sell ChocBoy chocolate from the family angle, and ChocBoy was the name that birthed the company. We have names like ChocNories, ChocAbsorber, ChocGirl, ChocKnight, ChocAddict, ChocNinja, we have lots of lovely names, so everyone has an identity and that’s part of our plan. We want to sell an identity with the ChocBoy brand that when you get to our website at www.chocboy.com, you will be able to register your name and choose few other names you like, which will automatically generate the available one for you. We are also trying to produce products that are age category sensitive, and three major types of chocolate like Dark, White and Milk chocolate.

How do you advertise your products?

ChocBoy: Our major customer base on advertisement is via social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).

What has been the success rate?

ChocBoy: It’s been pretty good, we have quite a lot of followers on social media, and some online companies that came on board to help push the brand.

Where do you see ChocBoy in 10-20years?

ChocBoy: Well, in 10 years precisely we would have a full relaxation center where kids and family can gather to have fun, play with chocolate and enjoy chocolate.

Now what would you want to tell anyone reading this interview about, ChocBoy and the Event coming up on the 26th?

ChocBoy: Two things, anyone reading this interview should know that ChocBoy is a full Nigerian brand, birthed from Ibadan. It’s every single Nigerian dream to produce chocolate in Nigeria, we are just privileged to act on it. Secondly, about the event I want everyone to come, why?, because 26th December, 2015 is a day you should relax with your family, it’s happening in a fully rebranded Agodi gardens in Ibadan, there will be so many varieties to look forward to, lots games and activities like Treasure Hunt, Lived sized games, Dart, Karaoke, Boat Ride, Adult Zone, P-Setting Zone, Swimming, Competitions, Horse Ride and many more! Lots of prices to be won too! So come and relax with your family, lot of calories to be consumed that day, come and enjoy yourself.

What’s your plan for the company next year and are you looking at expanding?

ChocBoy: To be honest I believe a lot in steady growth, I don’t want to rush things, because I don’t have a model I am copying yet, and if I want to build something that will last for many generations, I have to be patient and believe in steady growth. One major strategy we want to focus on is to organize a ChocBoy chocolate party between two different cities in Nigeria at the same time, also we are looking at how investors who can come on board and drive the idea to fulfillment. We are already talking to people on investing and we need more investors to help us drive the brand. But for the production arm, by next year we want to totally saturate Ibadan, we want everyone to know about ChocBoy brand, we are also hoping to expand production capacity.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by deomeelo: 10:21pm On Aug 06, 2017

MEET THE COUPLE BEHIND NIGERIA’S LARGEST STEEL SHEET FACTORY

Alhaji Kamoru Yusuf and his wife Bolanle

The brains behind Nigeria’s first independently owned cold roll steel complex,

KAM INDUSTRIES (NIGERIA) LIMITED, a wholly owned indigenous company, was registered in 1997 under the Companies and Allied Matter Act (1990) of Nigeria as a manufacturer of steel products such as, Roofing Nails, Couper Nails, British Reinforcement Concrete (BRC) Mesh wire and Binding Wire.

The company started its manufacturing operations in 1997 with a few nail cutting machines at a noble location on Asa Dam road, Ilorin with three members of staff as operators. At the inception, the incumbent Vice Chairman/CEO, Alhaji Kamoru Yusuf was the company’s Engineer. From its humble beginning as a manufacturing company, Kam Industries has grown into one of the largest privately owned steel production company in Nigeria. Subsequently, company added new products profiles such as Black and Galvanized EM8, EM10, A142, PP packaging such as woven sacks, shopping bags and Nylons.

KAM Industries (Nigeria) Limited is the only 100% indigenous steel and allied manufacturing company in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by kn23h(m): 10:29pm On Aug 06, 2017
My goodness!!! We Yorubas rock!!

See industries!

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 10:36pm On Aug 06, 2017
John Olatunde Ayeni, CON, is a Nigerian lawyer, investor and business magnate. He holds board positions on companies in different parts of the country. He attended Baptist Secondary School, Iyah-Gbedde in Ijumu, Kogi State, followed by Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, Kwara State. He later read Law at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. He graduated with honours in 1990, and was called to Bar in 1991.

He worked with Professor S. A. Adesanya & Co., a firm of Legal Practitioners, before moving on to serve with Rodco (Nig) Limited as a Legal Adviser. A few years later, he started his own legal firm known as Legal Resources Alliance.

In 2007, Ayeni became majority stakeholder and Vice Chairman of ASO Savings & Loans. He is also a founding partner and current Vice Chairman of Ocean Marine Security (OMS) which provides logistical support to the Nigerian Navy. In 2011, Ayeni became Chairman of Skye Bank, which was formed in 2005 when five commercial banks (including Bond Bank, founded by Ayeni in 2000), merged to create a new entity with a balance sheet, in excess of ₦1 trillion. But he later stepped down in 2015, due to issues associated with the bank's debt profile, which linked him to some loans that were used to finance his company's acquisition of NITEL.

Dr. Tunde Ayeni, was the prime mover behind the purchase of Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL) using the investment vehicle of NatCom Development & Investment Limited “NatCom” (now trading as NTel) in 2014. NatCom has said the telecoms company will be investing in telecoms upgrade and expansion projects totalling over $1billion USD, by 2020. New reports say that Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL), has landed “significant investment” from General TY Danjuma, who has recently taken over as Chairman of the telecoms company.

.....As at last week, Ayeni made a payment of USD10m towards repaying the NITEL facility, while he also makes a quarterly payment of USD4.5m towards repayment of the facilities for the Ibadan and Yola discos, in line with the restructuring agreement with the consortium of lenders. I am also made to understand that Ayeni has been discussing with a potential investor for the injection of USD200m into NITEL to repay the bank’s loans, and has availed the bank with a term sheet for the facility. http://www.theoctopusnews.com/2017/08/01/entrenched-interests-launch-campaign-against-nitel-acquisition/

He currently sits on the board of Heritage Bank Limited, where he is reported to own almost 50 percent of the bank's shareholding.

In 2013, as Vice Chairman of Integrated Energy Distribution and Marketing Ltd (IEDM), Ayeni led a successful bid to take control of the Ibadan and Yola Electricity Distribution Companies. This marked the first privatization of a national energy asset in Nigerian history. He is also Chairman of JKK (Nigeria) Plc and Temple Resources Ltd, and sits on the boards of PPP Fluid Mechanics Limited, Olutoye Estate Development & Services Ltd, National Sports Lottery Plc, Prime Union Investment Ltd, Prime Union Travels and Tours as well as Hightech Procurement Limited.

Ayeni is an advocate of banking and trade reforms, that will make doing business easier in Africa. He is a member of Nigerian Bar Association, International Bar Association, and in 2014 he was made a Fellow of the Institute of Directors, Nigeria. His investments are said to be in excess of about $600 million USD.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/172332-skye-bank-chairman-ayeni-sahara-energy-owner-tonye-cole-others-buy-nitel-mtel.html ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Olatunde_Ayeni ; http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=52676007&privcapId=25576563

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs0HHpPouOk

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by kaysco: 11:37pm On Aug 06, 2017
Laudate and deomeelo, can you write something on this woman: Nike Davies Okundaye (Nike art gallery).
Also Dr. Oluyinka Olutoye.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 11:50pm On Aug 06, 2017
kaysco:
Laudate and deomeelo, can you write something on this woman: Nike Davies Okundaye (Nike art gallery).
Also Dr. Oluyinka Olutoye.

Thanks
Hi, please check page 141 and 145 of this thread for info., on Nike Davies-Okundaye of Nike Art Gallery. I am not sure if anything has been done on Dr. Olutoye yet. Let me check and get back to you. Thanks. wink

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 1:02am On Aug 07, 2017
Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan, is a Nigerian monarch, the traditional ruler of Ugbo Kingdom, a town in Ilaje Local Government, Ondo State. He is an oil magnate and founder of Obat Oil, one of Nigeria's largest and leading privately held oil companies.

In March 2014 Forbes estimated his net worth as US$300 million. Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan is ranked by Forbes magazine as the second richest King in Africa and the richest in Nigeria. He surpassed King Olubuse II, the Ooni of Ife, with $225 million USD and the Swaziland King Mswati III by over $200 million USD, to become Africa's second richest king in 2014, behind Mohammed VI of Morocco.

He has a custom built 2012 Rolls Royce similar to that of Queen Elizabeth II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-wk5obUwyY

Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan established Obat Oil in 1981. Today, the company has more than 50 fuel stations across Nigeria, and it also owns one of the largest tank farms in Africa - a modern storage facility with a capacity to store 65 million liters of petroleum products. Upon ascending the throne of his forbears, the traditional ruler appointed his eldest son, Prince Akinfemiwa Akinrutan, as the managing director of the company.

Oba Akinruntan's domain known as Ugboland is located along the coastal shores of South-Western Nigeria, in Ondo State. Close neighbours of Ugbo people include the Ikales, the Itshekiris, the Ijaws, the Apois, the Ijebus, and the Edos. The entire area consist of coastal landmarks, creeks, rivers and lagoons. It is within the western zone of the Niger Delta, beginning from the Bight of Benin, and stretches all the way from Oghoye through several Ugboland creeks to Abetobo in Ilaje local govt area of Ondo State.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrick_Obateru_Akinruntan

Resplendent in majestic aura, bedecked in dazzling royal regalia, his palatial entourage thins out as he approaches his throne. Effortlessly, he eases into the elevated seat. His hands and face sparkle with luminescent light of diamonds and gold. Blue-blooded, brilliant and benevolent, he exudes bliss and prowess.

From far and wide, prominent and ordinary people prostrate before him, pay homage and seek his wisdom. Grand in posture, but not grandiloquent, he is a symbol of the past and the present. His royal dynasty, perhaps, is one of the earliest and most important in the hierarchy of Yoruba monarchies. Meet the Olugbo of Ugbo Kingdom, Oba Frederick Obateru Akinruntan – the Chairman of the Yoruba Obas Conflict Resolution Committee.

Obateru is the first black person to buy the 2014 model of Bentley automobile. On July 2013, in an interview with The Sun, Obateru said: "The first time I saw a car was 1961 in Sapele. At that time, Sir Festus Okotie-Eboh had a hotel in Sapele, Waterside Hotel. It was the first time I saw a hotel in my life. We used to describe hotels as bars. That was the first time I knew the difference between a hotel and a bar."

"....Oba of Benin said Ugbo, very close to Okitipupa, is the owner of the South-West and that explains why we have some similarities with the Benin. Our ancestors had something in common; quote me as an authority.

Why they respected Ugbo was that when they were advancing, we had an Oba that was given respect equivalent to that of the Pope. The Benin had a belief that Ugbo was very strong. If you want to read the history of the Yoruba, go to Portugal because they first had contact with the Yoruba ahead of other European countries....."
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/08/27/oba-frederick-obateru-akinruntan-i-am-the-owner-of-ile-ife-i-can-rule-ife-from-my-palace-if-allowed/ ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrick_Obateru_Akinruntan

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 1:52am On Aug 07, 2017
Olatunji Ajisomo Alabi (February 12, 1915 - November 14, 1998), fondly known as 'Lord Rumens,' was a Nigerian business tycoon, philanthropist and socialite, from Abeokuta. He was born in Oke-Ona, Abeokuta, Nigeria. Lord Rumens attended Holy Trinity School in Abeokuta before going on to attend Methodist Boys High School in Lagos in 1934. was popularly known for the importation of Carrara Marble into Lagos, Nigeria as well as his love for Tennis.

His nephew, the late Molade Okoya -Thomas, was also a big Tennis fan, so he had a tennis court named after him at the Lawn Tennis club in Onikan, Lagos. Olatunji Ajisomo Alabi served as the President of Lagos Lawn Tennis Club in Onikan from 1966 to 1975. During his tenure in 1971, he brought the likes of the late Arthur Ashe and Stan Smith to Nigeria for a World Championship tournament.

When he died in 1998 at the age of 83 years, he left behind a vast estate worth =N=5.6 billion naira.

The children of late Chief Olatunji Ajisomo Alabi, (a.k.a, Lord Rumens), have filed a suit against the Bank of Industry Investment and Trust Company Ltd before a Lagos State High Court, over alleged mismanagement of their father’s N5.6 billion estate. The children who are Babatunde, Oladipo, Subuola, Awojuola, Rukayat, Olukemi and Adeola Alabi, had on May 9, 2017 filed a suit before the court stating that their late father appointed BoI Investment and Trust Company Ltd as trustees of his estate in his will dated July 30, 1996. Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/06/boi-dragged-court-lord-rumens-n5-6bn-estate/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 2:27am On Aug 07, 2017
When Sir (Chief) Theophilus Adebowale Omotosho set up Bond Chemist Limited in 1976, as a retail outlet for pharmaceutical products, he had no idea that the little seed would one day become a giant tree, in the corporate sector. By March 1988, the company had delved into full-scale manufacturing of drugs and medications, at its factory site in Awe, in Oyo State. It was then renamed Bond Chemical Industries Limited.

While the factory was developed in Oyo State, the corporate head office was left in Lagos. Bond Chemical Industries Limited has expanded more than five times its' original size at inception, in terms of structure, equipment and workforce along with its diverse range of qualitative pharmaceutical products. As part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Programmes, the Asiwaju Debo Omotoso Tertiary Education Fund was launched to cater for the less privileged students in their community.

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by robotix: 2:27am On Aug 07, 2017
Great job. My Igbo brothers have silently left the thread. See what lack of humility has caused. What a shame!

Please do not stop. This is the best way to deal with people without throwing punch---ACTION!

Empty vessels, make the loudest noise, they say.

With noise they often make, you will think Yorubas are underachievers... I watched for over 2 years now how the noise went on, Igbos are richest, Igbos are the most industrious, Igbos bought every land in Lagos, Igbos develop this, did that...

This doesn't not mean I am denying my background but I learnt to speak the truth as I see them.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 3:52am On Aug 07, 2017
Late Chief Emmanuel Oyedele Ashamu the Maye of Oyo, and Chairman of Ashamu Group of Companies, was a wealthy land owner and Oyo aristocrat, who featured prominently in the Nigerian business sector, from the 1960s - 90s. He attended Durbar School, Oyo, and the Grammar School, Ilesha, before going further to study Pharmacy at Yaba Higher College, in 1951.

His career started as a pharmacist at the Orthopaedic Hospital in Lagos. He later left to join Lion Chemists as a manager. Due to his background as a trained pharmacist, he set up Industrial Chemists Limited, within the city of Lagos. He rose to become one of the most prominent businessmen in Africa, with interests in agriculture, banking, transportation and real estate.

In the 60s, he delved into the real estate sector and was involved in land development, in areas which included Ire-Akari Estate, Isolo in Lagos.
His properties go beyond Nigeria, to United Kingdom and the United States of America. He was also the owner of Igbeti Marble Mining Company in Oyo State.

Igbeti Mining Industries Limited (IMI) was later taken over by Oyo State Government in 1978, and renamed Nigeria Marble Mining Company Limited. The state govt then changed the shareholding structure to a different pattern - 30 per cent was awarded to Oyo State Government, 25 per cent to IMI (i.e. Ashamu's company), 20 per cent to Federal Government, 10 per cent to Local Government and 15 per cent to Technical Partners.

Ashamu later established Oke Afa Farms in 1970, which was the largest poultry in the Nigeria at that time. From there, he set up Oyo Feeds and Premier Farms. At the height of its' success, the business employed up to 1,000 people.

Premier Farms specialised in Maize plantation at its Okaka Farm, in Ikoyi near Igbo-Ora, Oyo state. Most of its products were sold to its' sister company Oyo Feeds, which turned it to animal feed and then resold much of it to their parent company - Oke Afa farms. Oke Afa then sold commercial meat and chicken, to eateries and the military.

Unfortunately, by the late 1970s, these agro-business ventures were hampered by import restrictions that curtailed the availability of feed ingredients. Several years later, Chief Ashamu signed technical services agreements with foreign firms to collaborate in various business undertakings. The foreign firms would provide technical consultation, management and sizeable financial commitments to his businesses, in exchange for a proportion of the shares of these companies.

By the time Chief Ashamu died on 20 August 1992, his estimated net worth was $50 million US Dollars.

Craig Thomas an American scholar from Harvard, was so fascinated by Ashamu's style of management and backward integration, that he wrote a whole excerpt on Ashamu Holdings, in a management book titled Strategic Management in Developing Countries, edited by James E. Austin and Tomas O. Kohn, which was published by Simon & Schuster, in 1998. Chief Ashamu's philantropic gestures was well documented, and it even extended to foreign institutions abroad.
https://von.gov.ng/oyo-state-to-revive-marble-company/; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_E._O._Ashamu#cite_ref-2;

His son, Samson Ashamu, attended Brown, graduating in 1979 with a B.A. in economics. That same year, the Chief and Mrs. E. O. Ashamu donated the funds to build Ashamu Dance Studio in the building, formerly occupied by the Colgate Hoyt Pool. The studio, along with the Isabelle Russek Leeds Theatre, was dedicated on April 21, 1979, with a ceremony, followed by a week long festival of performances, workshops, and recitals.

The dedication plaque outside the Ashamu Dance Studio reads, “In loving and affectionate memory of our beloved mother and grandmother, Madam Adeoti Ashamu….”

The Ashamu family’s commitment to Brown continued over the years. Throughout the 1980s, Samson and his wife Leslie donated Egungun costumes, ceremonial robes, and accompanying dress-related materials to Brown’s Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology. Two of the pieces were included in the museum’s extraordinary international textiles exhibit, “Warp Speeds,” in 2004. Samson Ashamu died on July 20, 1995.

Following Emmanuel Ashamu’s death in 1992, several pieces of fabric and ceremonial clothing were left in the possession of a personal family friend. Just last year, the items were given to Brown’s Department of Theatre, Speech and Dance for preservation. http://today.brown.edu/articles/2009/02/ashamu

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa by laudate: 4:24am On Aug 07, 2017
iblawi:
You guys didn't even post the owner of Nairaland seen osewa. The guy that gave Igbos opportunity to see make noise.

Se'un Osewa has been featured on one of the pages in this thread. cheesy Check page 143. cool Or just follow this link:
https://www.nairaland.com/3918290/yorubas-most-industriousrichest-educated-tribe/143#58617466

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (320) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.