Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,325 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members (8104 Views)

CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / Globacom Denies Sacking Female Staff Due To Marital Status / Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by voiceoftheupcom: 6:38am On Jul 13, 2017
LECTURERS SHUT DOWN MAPOLY OVER ALLEGED SACKING OF 250 MEMBERS
source : http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/07/lecturers-shut-down-mapoly-over-alleged.html

Members of the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic, Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta chapter, grounded academic activities at the institution on Wednesday following alleged directive by the Technical Committee set up by the Ogun State government to upgrade the institution to a university status.

They had alleged that the committee which is saddled with the task of overseeing the transition of MAPOLY to Moshood Abiola University of Science and Technology, headed by Prof. Peter Okebukola, had issued a directive ordering the sack of over 250 lecturers in the institution to turn in their resignation letters and reapply.

However, in a swift reaction, Prof. Okebukola refuted the claims of the lecturers stating that they were in contrast to the position of the committee.

Eyes Of Lagos gathered that, The lecturers who protested within and outside the institution’s campus locked the gate and blocked it with two vehicles, chanting solidarity songs.

They had arrived the campus as early as 7 am, and placed fetish objects inside two calabashes containing dead snakes, sugarcane sticks, and local fowl eggs drenched in palm oil, in front of the school gate.

The lecturers were also armed with placards with various inscriptions such as “Okebukola must go” and “MAUSTECH must stay.”

They prevented vehicles from either leaving or entering the campus.

Addressing journalists in front of the gate, the ASUP chairman, Kola Abiola, said the Prof. Peter Okebukola-led committee had directed that over 250 lecturers in MAPOLY should resign and reapply as academic staff members of MAUSTECH.

The polytechnic was upgraded to a university status last week by the National Universities Commission, as it handed over the approval certificate to the state governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, in Abuja.

Abiola further alleged that Okebukola gave the directive during a meeting between members of the committee and the leadership of the union.

He said the union did have confidence in the committee.

The union leader said the lecturers were open to dialogue with the committee and vowed that they would resist any directive that could lead to the loss of jobs by the members.

The Zonal Coordinator of ASUP, Zone C in charge of South West, Adetunji Omobaorun, said the action of the lecturers has the backing and the blessing of the national body.

He argued that the government and the committee did not recognise the right and interest of the major stakeholders in their decision.

He said, “The committee and government have refused to give recognition to the plight of major stakeholders and our interest is not their interest. We say no to slave trading in the land of the black.”

The State President of the National Association of Nigerian Students, Balogun Olawale, also described the alleged directive “as wrong” advising that the government should be considerate.

However, Okebukola refuted all the claims in a statement he signed in Abeokuta on Wednesday, a copy of which was made available to our correspondent.

He said the claims were in contrast to the position of the committee that no member of staff would suffer job loss as a consequence of the upgrading of MAPOLY to MAUSTECH, and the establishment of Ogun State Polytechnic, Ipokia as the successor of MAPOLY.

The statement read in part, “We held a meeting with all staff at the beginning of our assignment and conveyed our position on job security.

“This position has been reechoed in subsequent meetings with staff unions. It is curious that some persons have taken undue liberty of misinforming the general public with the spread of such fake news.

“We have given the good people of Ogun State a pledge that in the shortest possible time, MAUSTECH and Ogun State Polytechnic, Ipokia will be among the brightest stars in the firmament of quality higher education in Nigeria, indeed in Africa.”

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by lekanation(m): 7:03am On Jul 13, 2017
lipsrsealed how can they upgrade a polytechnic to a university!!! both institutions have different standards. discrimination at its peak.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by GreenNegro(m): 7:03am On Jul 13, 2017
Following
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by gungab(m): 7:09am On Jul 13, 2017
Watching
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by Jerryojozy(m): 7:11am On Jul 13, 2017
Wizzy boy!!! Daddy yo!

Genius J
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by Exponental(m): 7:12am On Jul 13, 2017
Expected...
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by Tenno(m): 7:13am On Jul 13, 2017
Okebukola must go,mautech will stay
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by StakerLives(m): 7:13am On Jul 13, 2017
How Can They 250 Workers

See Why I Said All Apc Politicians Are Failed Persons
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by StOla: 7:14am On Jul 13, 2017
lekanation:
lipsrsealed how can they upgrade a polytechnic to a university!!! both institutions have different standards. discrimination at its peak.

The sack of unqualified faculty is a necessary aspect of the upgrade.

As always, not many can handle the change they yearn for when it finally comes, especially when they thought it was meant for others to change while they remain static but beneficiaries.

11 Likes

Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by tyson98: 7:14am On Jul 13, 2017
Amosun is a devil
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by shamack: 7:15am On Jul 13, 2017
Ogun state is just accummulating sec sch called uni,,,,they will end up not funding the sch,,,stupidd gov
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by shamack: 7:16am On Jul 13, 2017
StakerLives:
How Can They 250 Workers

See Why I Said All Apc Politicians Are Failed Persons

is this about politics? Sir stop the anus reasoning thing
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by Dicksonpal: 7:23am On Jul 13, 2017
Another oou in disguise... Wtf
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by Uceegal: 7:23am On Jul 13, 2017
I don't understand
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by muller101(m): 7:26am On Jul 13, 2017
lekanation:
University of technology. It's possible

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by Majesticniyi(m): 7:27am On Jul 13, 2017
Upgrading the Polytechnic to a University is the most stupid move ever in Ogun State. How would we advance technologically and technically as a nation if we are fighting so hard to kill the institution where such skills are developed?
I would have expected the State Govt to standardize the school instead of upgrading it. The state of our Polytechnic is entirely to be blamed on lack of funding both from the Govt and private institutions. I attended both a Polytechnic and a university and I can say boldly that the academic focus is different. Why can't our Govt simply invest more on making the curriculum more effective and also try to attract investors? They should do that and see the wonders that would come out of it instead of running around with misplaced priorities. It is either they are upgrading or they are trying to remove discrepancies between Bsc and HND (which is even more stupid than upgrading considering the fact that the two certificates serve different purposes).
OOU still dey there, them never standardize, them still wan add another post-primary school to their list of underfunded schools.

And for the lecturers ehn....poly lecturers are some of the major problems the institution faces. They won't upgrade their certificates, won't go for seminars, won't write papers, won't do researches. Old men living on glories of the past...they better go and retire instead of fighting upandan for a job they clearly aren't qualified for. Nigeria is a Zoo. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by seguntijan(m): 7:29am On Jul 13, 2017
What is happening in MAPOLY presently is just the microcosm of how our higher institutions are. If the government upgrade our higher institutions to world class level, most of these lecturers will only be qualified as a security personnel or lab attendant. We really need massive investment in human development, no matter how you invest in capital projects it is still humans you need to design, build and maintain these projects. and that's the major reason of unemployment because these projects needs high level of workmanship and unfortunately they're not readily available in the country so expatriate has to come in.

8 Likes

Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by omoadeleye(m): 7:32am On Jul 13, 2017
Those who are resisting are those that already know in their heart that they are not qualified for their current position, because most members are attachment they were secretly slot in to their work.

so the school trying to upgrade, is surely a must for them to strategize the school by employing new qualified members and transfering the current members to ipokia.

They need to chill and be humble.
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by faorex(m): 7:39am On Jul 13, 2017
mods... e be like say you dey collect bribe... I posted on Tuesday
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by PissedOffWeed(m): 7:40am On Jul 13, 2017
cry Michael Okpara University (MOUAU) gonna be next definitely!!
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by admindim: 7:45am On Jul 13, 2017
change that we voted for
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by raziboi(m): 8:01am On Jul 13, 2017
upgrading is not the problem... sacking the unqualified people can solve the problem....
The problem is creating provisions for the sacked lecturers
cause they all have families looking up to them
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by slawomir: 8:37am On Jul 13, 2017
seguntijan:
What is happening in MAPOLY presently is just the microcosm of how our higher institutions are. If the government upgrade our higher institutions to world class level, most of these lecturers will only be qualified as a security personnel or lab attendant. We really need massive investment in human development, no matter how you invest in capital projects it is still humans you need to design, build and maintain these projects. and that's the major reason of unemployment because these projects needs high level of workmanship and unfortunately they're not readily available in the country so expatriate has to come in.
You are very correct
We need human development
Am a Uniben staff. Most of these lecturers are not fully fledged
Imagine the electrical power plant in EdO state To generate just a little megawatts in ihovbor was supervised by expatriate
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by faorex(m): 8:39am On Jul 13, 2017
flaws:
See you
Bj I sight you
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by seunlayi(m): 8:44am On Jul 13, 2017
Son of men, Why hath thou afraid of CHANGE?
CHANGE that drove etisalat away,
That ridiculed our naira before other currencies,
That made professionals to be jobless,
That turned a man that said his wife is for the kitchen and inner room to be the one now inside the inner room,
If you are sacked, it is your own state of the change, let it begins with you
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by hardbody: 9:18am On Jul 13, 2017
lekanation:

Yes, perhaps polytechnic has a higher standard then?

I am so against this dichotomy and my reasons are very simple. In this country, there is so much importance attached to certificates such that graduates of polytechnics are seen as second class as against their degree holding contemporaries, while in truth, both channels lead to different strong end results if followed judiciously.

I am wont to believe that the polytechnics are stronger in some fields as they are primarily set up for those purposes. I am aware that account graduates from the poly perform better (in terms of numbers) than their contemporaries from the universities in all these ICAN and sister certifications. Of course there is no place for courses such as law and medicine in the polytechnics, so there.

Having said that, in this clime, we might just bring those schools together or upgrade them as it were to fuse with the universities so that the graduands come out with degrees while their course of study remains as strong and sturdy as it would normally have been in the Polytechnic as a stand-alone. Infact those polytechnics will now be Faculties in the University such that all these divisions in classes (HND/B.Sc, etc) will be forgotten. Imagine someone spends the same number of years in a polytechnic, can stand toe to toe with you in certain specified courses or even out-perform you, but just because he is an HND holder, he must be employed as a Grade 07 staff while a university graduate starts as a grade 08. He cant go for straight Masters program without a PG Diploma.

This is just not making sense at least in Nigeria.

AND NO, I did not attend a polytechnic and will never allow any of mine to, not because I do not believe in the quality of education there, just that Nigeria has made it look like an anathema to hold a Diploma, no matter how good the holder is.

My views may not be correct or acceptable, but they remain mine.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by lekanation(m): 9:26am On Jul 13, 2017
hardbody:

Yes, perhaps polytechnic has a higher standard then?

I am so against this dichotomy and my reasons are very simple. In this country, there is so much importance attached to certificates such that graduates of polytechnics are seen as second class as against their degree holding contemporaries, while in truth, both channels lead to different strong end results if followed judiciously.

I am wont to believe that the polytechnics are stronger in some fields as they are primarily set up for those purposes. I am aware that account graduates from the poly perform better (in terms of numbers) than their contemporaries from the universities in all these ICAN and sister certifications. Of course there is no place for courses such as law and medicine in the polytechnics, so there.

Having said that, in this clime, we might just bring those schools together or upgrade them as it were to fuse with the universities so that the graduands come out with degrees while their course of study remains as strong and sturdy as it would normally have been in the Polytechnic as a stand-alone. Infact those polytechnics will now be Faculties in the University such that all these divisions in classes (HND/B.Sc, etc) will be forgotten. Imagine someone spends the same number of years in a polytechnic, can stand toe to toe with you in certain specified courses or even out-perform you, but just because he is an HND holder, he must be employed as a Grade 07 staff while a university graduate starts as a grade 08. He cant go for straight Masters program without a PG Diploma.

This is just not making sense at least in Nigeria.

AND NO, I did not attend a polytechnic and will never allow any of mine to, not because I do not believe in the quality of education there, just that Nigeria has made it look like an anathema to hold a Diploma, no matter how good the holder is.

My views may not be correct or acceptable, but they remain mine.
well said
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by leksmedia: 9:34am On Jul 13, 2017
Wow thats massive 250. the others now realise their job isnt as safe as they thought. Its well For your website design and blog designs please contact me.
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by toggy: 9:39am On Jul 13, 2017
I won't blame the government. When we were in school they refer the school system as a glorified secondary school. They ridicule the student they are teaching. Make them loss hope in the future with regards to their certificates. Just because most of them are University graduates opportune to teach in the Polytechnic. This serves them right. Today they will come and apply in my office.
Their agitations is a waist of time. The decision of the Ogun State government is commendable. But let there be adequate funding.
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 13, 2017
This is serious!
Re: Lecturers Shut Down Mapoly Over Alleged Sacking Of 250 Members by yuzjet(m): 11:14am On Jul 13, 2017
They wanted changes, but they don't want to upgrade themselves.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Pay For ACCA Exams Cheaper Part 2 / Senate okays Halilu Shaba As DG, NASRDA / Bayelsa NUT Begins Strike Over Seven Months Salary Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.