Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,851 members, 7,862,782 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:18 AM

The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates (38043 Views)

441 First Class Graduates Take Oyo Teaching Service Test / What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? / See What These Two IMSU First Class Graduates Received At Their Induction. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by sunnyeinstein(m): 7:56pm On Jul 15, 2017
optimusmind:

I have noted this. However, these things are habit forming.

Well, i hav so much to do here and nairaland kips my stress level down for few minutes in between sevral experiments runnin concurrently, so i typed mostly without doublecheckin n i use shorthand wen my fingers feel lyk wink .... its a nairaland habit grin
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 15, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

Well, i hav so much to do here and nairaland kips my stress level down for few minutes in between sevral experiments runnin concurrently, so i typed mostly without doublecheckin n i use shorthand wen my fingers feel lyk wink .... its a nairaland habit grin
okay sir
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by alpontif(m): 10:42am On Jul 16, 2017
Hello,

I am obviously not talking via an empirical data point of view, as I do not have access to that. My opinion is based on factual experience. All the First Class people I know have had Consistent As all the way from their primary school days. All. I actually saw their credentials right from primary school.

The point I am making is that the first mark of brilliance is consistency. A brilliant student in primary and secondary school can slack off due to many reasons in the University, and make average grades. I also know people like that. But when you roll with these people,
their sheer brilliance shows, consistently. They are definitely not swotters.

Swotters also make first class, but swotting can only help you so far.

On the other hand, people do not become suddenly brilliant, there will be a sort of track record, consistency of grades, or in the absence of that, a gift that actually portrays the outstanding mental brilliance of such individual. I know petty traders, illiterate, that are quite very very good with numbers. Gifts vary, but brilliance is brilliance, and in this day and age, the easiest marker of brilliance is Consistency.

By the way, the above is not necessarily valid, it just is my opinion.

baum1:

Guy, I wanted to ask what are you saying, but that would be rude, not okay. I actually logged in because of you.

Contrary to what you believe, there are many non-straight A's students in high school and primary school that went ahead to become the best graduating students at their departments or entire school. I have worked with so many people on Nairaland, I've seen many things, personal experience and from the younger generation..Your first sentence will hardly fit real life data if you put it to test. There are very many above average students at primary/secondary school who went on to achieve GPA's in the neighbourhood of what you termed real first class. On the contrary, there are excellent students at primary/secondary level who went on to make a weak first class, 2:1 or even lower. Your point connotes that those making top, top GPA at uni were the excellent ones in high school. Data doesn't support this. You cannot draw the conclusion you're trying to draw. I've seen so much to accept such conclusion..Perhapsthis post of mine will help you motivate the above average high school students you know that they can be excellent at university and get the best grades...

So, average/below average/above average high school students, don't think you can't come tops in your class at university level. Perhaps you were average in high school because you studied wrongly or didn't have the academic guidance that the more privileged ones had. Many students attended secondary schools where all they do is write notes written on the board and many of these students hardly did problem solving sessions, e.g past questions, exercises etc. They were not exposed enough and tried to read and read what the teacher wrote on the board for them to copy. Of course, such students would hardly achieve the grades that befit their academic gifts, even if they are seriously gifted academically..But such students get to the university and it's another ball game entirely. Some of them were even more gifted than their highly performing age mates in other high schools but didn't have the same exposure....I remember in those days in unilag when some brough 8 A1 during registration, lol. We were dodging our own occasional A, more B's and C's...4 years later, another story was told.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 11:20am On Oct 02, 2017
shocked
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by samedi74(m): 2:14am On Oct 03, 2017
baum1:

Let me tell a story...People, listen!! I hope I am not outed, but I just want to motivate somebody today.

There's this guy that graduated after me. He had the best GPA in the history of my department and currently host the best GPA in the entire school...Oh, okay, that 5.00 GPA guy now has the record, I remember..But this guy in question had 4.98..

Some months ago, I was speaking to his former class rep and he told me that the guy was neither on the first or the second UME list for admission. When they were already receiving lectures and feeling fly, the guy would soberly come into the class and would ask him when the final supplementary list would be released. He kept on coming, he kept on asking. As God, the Mighty One, would have it, this guy's name came out on the very last list. He was among the last few people to be admitted. The more brilliant ones, according to the previous poster, had been admitted way, way before him...Anyway, the courses and exams started and this guy, throughout his stay at the university, got only one B..As I write now, he is preparing for his graduation from one of Harvard/MIT, don't want to be too specific. He'll be earning a PhD. And you know what that means in terms of prospects, both in research and the private sector...The same person that was lucky to be admitted into his undergraduate department..

So people, forget any story telling you that your high school determines something. In some cases yes, but you cannot base your hustle on that. Work work work. Hussle Hussle Hussle. Do your best. God still crowns efforts. See, I have many of such stories, but this one is important to share..

Good luck

Meanwhile, I still work with people who had a first class BSC GPA and would like to study abroad. If you meet this requirement, be in touch. It could be you. Many have positive stories to tell here on nairaland. To God be the Glory
hello boss, I just graduated from UNILORIN with a first class, B.Sc Chemistry. Would love a reply.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 6:43pm On Oct 03, 2017
samedi74:

hello boss, I just graduated from UNILORIN with a first class, B.Sc Chemistry. Would love a reply.
shocked Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by sampatdikachi(m): 10:57pm On Oct 15, 2017

Represent your school well by writing in full. I couldn't even read your post. So much abbreviations and wrong spellings.
You're just busy correcting people grin

Represent your school well by writing in full. I couldn't even read your post. So much abbreviations and wrong spellings.
You're just busy correcting people
_Nice_ job tho
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 7:07pm On Oct 19, 2017
cool
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by fergusen: 2:39pm On Feb 10, 2020
prettyboi1:
Nigerians & the worship of school degrees. SMH. How much has our worship of degrees done for our country? NOTHING...NOTHING TO SHOW.

Nobody cares about your worship of degrees if the knowledge does not translate to bettering real life situations on ground.

Working towards getting a first class doesn't mean you are 'worshipping' school degrees.
Re: The Two Main Types Of First Class Graduates by xammax(m): 1:14pm On Sep 26, 2021
alpontif:
Hello,

I am obviously not talking via an empirical data point of view, as I do not have access to that. My opinion is based on factual experience. All the First Class people I know have had Consistent As all the way from their primary school days. All. I actually saw their credentials right from primary school.

The point I am making is that the first mark of brilliance is consistency. A brilliant student in primary and secondary school can slack off due to many reasons in the University, and make average grades. I also know people like that. But when you roll with these people,
their sheer brilliance shows, consistently. They are definitely not swotters.

Swotters also make first class, but swotting can only help you so far.

On the other hand, people do not become suddenly brilliant, there will be a sort of track record, consistency of grades, or in the absence of that, a gift that actually portrays the outstanding mental brilliance of such individual. I know petty traders, illiterate, that are quite very very good with numbers. Gifts vary, but brilliance is brilliance, and in this day and age, the easiest marker of brilliance is Consistency.

By the way, the above is not necessarily valid, it just is my opinion.

Evening sir, so I graduated with a first class. I’ve had a track record of success since my primary school days, but then on some certain aspects, if someone is to come to me for explanation, I may need to revise.

Can’t blame me though, I’ve learn a lot of things and still learning from web designing, content writing, digital marketing, email Marketing, copy writing etc. So plenty things full my head, does that now make me a swotter?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet Zahirat Galleon, University Of Maiduguri 1st Female SUG Vice President / Waec 2012/2013 : Yet Another Mass Failure Recorded- Here Is The ... / Meet Florence Obi, University Of Calabar First Female Vice Chancellor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.