Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,758 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car (1453 Views)

Nissan Xtrail 2.5 XL Does Not Start / Program Your New Car Keys Or Add Spare Key. Only Benz And BMW Not Included / Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 1:53pm On Jul 13, 2017
Please Nairalanders, my spare key does not start the engine of my car, it just turns to "on" such that it can put on AC and wind down the windows but the engine itself wouldn't start... please help. Thanks in anticipation...
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by TPound(m): 2:04pm On Jul 13, 2017
what's the car make,model and year?
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by AutoReportNG: 3:53pm On Jul 13, 2017
skedemi:
Please Nairalanders, my spare key does not start the engine of my car, it just turns to "on" such that it can put on AC and wind down the windows but the engine itself wouldn't start... please help. Thanks in anticipation...

Whats the make of the car and can you please elaborate a little more?
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 5:11pm On Jul 13, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Whats the make of the car and can you please elaborate a little more?

Its a Camry 2003... the Original/main key starts the car properly... but the spare key does not starts the car engine (just as if it the battery terminals are not in contact)... As in, it does not start, not to talk of engaging gears to move, it can only turn to "on" (to wind down and put on AC) just before the "start" tag but the main key works perfectly...
I don't know if u get tho
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 5:17pm On Jul 13, 2017
TPound:
what's the car make,model and year?
Toyota Camry 2003
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by TPound(m): 7:10pm On Jul 13, 2017
skedemi:

Toyota Camry 2003

I guess it has not been programmed yet to start the car.its part of security measures so the spare key won't be taken behind you to drive your car
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 7:20pm On Jul 13, 2017
TPound:

I guess it has not been programmed yet to start the car.its part of security measures so the spare key won't be taken behind you to drive your car

Oh wow!... so how can that be solved please?
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 13, 2017
skedemi:

Does ur spare key have a transposer chip or just a key that was cut without transponder? If it doesn't have a transponder then there's no way it can be programmed not to talk of starting the car. Only good for opening the doors in case u lock ur main key inside.
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 7:43pm On Jul 13, 2017
greenhulk:

Does ur spare key have a transposer chip or just a key that was cut without transponder? If it doesn't have a transponder then there's no way it can be programmed not to talk of starting the car. Only good for opening the doors in case u lock ur main key inside.

Really? Nawa oo...It does not have a transponder on it, just key...but it has a separate transponder (remote).
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by honmusa(m): 8:11pm On Jul 13, 2017
just buy a uncut key that has transponder chip and have it programmed to sync with the ECU .
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by honmusa(m): 8:17pm On Jul 13, 2017
skedemi:

Really? Nawa oo...It does not have a transponder on it, just key...but it has a separate transponder (remote).
Remote fob is separate unit entire ,it is not the transponder .The transponder is a small chip package inside the key ,U will need to dismantle the key to see it. The essence of the chip is to produce the rolling pass code that the ECU will need to see before starting the car
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 8:25pm On Jul 13, 2017
honmusa:
just buy a uncut key that has transponder chip and have it programmed to sync with the ECU .

Do u have any idea how much that would cost?
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by honmusa(m): 9:20pm On Jul 13, 2017
skedemi:

Budget around 10-15k to care of everything!!
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 13, 2017
skedemi:

First u need to confirm whether they key has a transponder chip or not. U need to open the key and look for the chip, its a small black object like the one in the picture below highlighted in red. If it doesn't have it then u need a key with transponder and then program it to be able to start ur car. If ur key has the chip then maybe it has not been programmed or it lost memory, either way u need to program.

Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 12:47am On Jul 14, 2017
honmusa:
Budget around 10-15k to care of everything!!
Wawu, guessed as much
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 12:48am On Jul 14, 2017
greenhulk:

First u need to confirm whether they key has a transponder chip or not. U need to open the key and look for the chip, its a small black object like the one in the picture below highlighted in red. If it doesn't have it then u need a key with transponder and then program it to be able to start ur car. If ur key has the chip then maybe it has not been programmed or it lost memory, either way u need to program.

Its just an ordinary car just like the one at the bottom left in the pic u posted... Thanks G
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by TPound(m): 5:41am On Jul 14, 2017
skedemi:

what they actually meant was if the key has a black head with toyota logo on it or if the complete key is just plain metal
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by TPound(m): 5:42am On Jul 14, 2017
skedemi:

take it to a key programmer. he will be able to program it
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 11:02am On Jul 14, 2017
TPound:

what they actually meant was if the key has a black head with toyota logo on it or if the complete key is just plain metal

I answered that already in latter posts... thanks
Re: My Spare Key Does Not Start My Car by skedemi(m): 11:02am On Jul 14, 2017
TPound:

take it to a key programmer. he will be able to program it
Thanks G

(1) (Reply)

"Touching Lives With Tonto Dike" Hummer SUV Spotted In Abuja / Which Car Consumes More Fuel Between Kia Rio And Toyota Corolla / Between Acura MDX 2001-2006 Models And Lexus RX 300, Which Would You Go For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.