Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,372 members, 7,868,096 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 10:46 AM

Presidency-senate Fued: ‘must Meet Conditions’ For Peace To Reign Surfaces Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency-senate Fued: ‘must Meet Conditions’ For Peace To Reign Surfaces Again (421 Views)

Emefiele: Borders To Remain Closed Until Neighbouring Countries Meet Conditions / Crisis Looms Between Presidency, Senate / Nnamdi Kanu Denies Rejecting Bail, Pledges To Meet Conditions Within 48 Hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency-senate Fued: ‘must Meet Conditions’ For Peace To Reign Surfaces Again by sirequity(m): 9:17am On Jul 15, 2017
FOR the second time, conditions that must be met by the Presidency for it to resolve it issues with the upper legislative chamber has surfaced again.

This is coming amidst report of a committee being set up by the Federal Executive Council to settle the rift between the duo which the acting president is the chairman.

Other members of the committee include all ministers who were former senators.

These are Chris Ngige (Labour), Udoma Udoma (Budget and National Planning), Heineken Lokpobiri (State, Agriculture), Hadi Sirika (State for Aviation) and Aisha Alhassan (Women Affairs).

Other members are the Senior Special Assistants to the President on National Assembly Matters, Ita Enang (Senate) and Samaila Kawu (House of Representatives).

In an earlier report by Daily Trust Newspaper, the publication list down five conditions it gathered from anonymous sources which includes;

“The trial of Saraki is central to the crisis because it is believed that they came up with it because he ‘violated’ the interest of the presidency and the party (APC) to emerge the senate president. If his trial is stopped, there would be peace;”

“A camp in the presidency is using the senate against another. This is the second issue that must be addressed for peace to reign. Buhari should dissolve the camp, otherwise no serious progress would be made;”

“If a resolution is passed, the executive doesn’t respect it, there is general contempt against us. This must stop;”

“The president must be talking to the party for it to be talking to caucus. If the president is bringing anything to the senate, the party should be involved;”

“The fifth one is that there is no personal communication between the senators and the president. There is need for this.”

This time around, TheNation Newspaper has penciled down three conditions in its own report.

ALSO READ: Sambo: Whistleblower Arraigned For Giving False Report

Quoting it sources, the news medium tabled;

The removal of the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr. Ibrahim Magu;

The withdrawal of a statement credited to Acting President Yemi Osinbajo through Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State that there is no going back on Magu’s nomination;

Presidency’s compliance with the resolutions/decisions/ summons of the National Assembly on budget and other issues, as well as prevailing on Power, Works and Housing Minister Babatunde Raji Fashola to withdraw his statement attacking the integrity of the National Assembly.

The conditions, according to the paper, were tabled by the Senate leadership before a mediator who is trying to bring the warring sides together.

The mediator is reported to be enjoying the confidence of Acting President Yemi Osinbajo and Senate President Bukola Saraki.

The source said the Presidency had been trying to address the three conditions with only Magu’s fate still hanging in the balance.

“On Magu, the Acting President insisted that only his boss, President Muhammadu Buhari can determine the fate of the Acting chairman of EFCC.

“He said the Senate would have to wait for the return of the President.”

Regarding a statement credited to el-Rufai, the mediator said the governor ran his own errand because nothing warranted the comments in the mandate given to him to represent the Acting President. Neither the Presidency nor Osinbajo can be held liable for el-Rufai’s comments.

“As for compliance with the resolutions or decisions or summons of the National Assembly, the Presidency gave a commitment to the Senate leadership to give due regards to the legislature.”

There were however indications that the Acting President had directed the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Fashola to “clarify his statement” in a way that it will not hurt the relationship between the two arms of government.

ALSO READ: Declare IPOB Terror Group, Arewa Youths Urge UN

“This was why Fashola tactically apologised to the National Assembly in an interview with reporters on Tuesday on the sidelines of the Presidential Quarterly Business Forum held at the old Banquet Hall of the State House, Abuja.

“He said if he was being misunderstood, his intention was not to quarrel with anybody but to see a better Nigeria.

“The Presidency believes such a mature retraction of Fashola’s virulent comments will assuage the National Assembly.”

In complying with the directive of the Acting President, Fashola had said: “There is no problem between me as an individual and the National Assembly.

“And let me make that very clear, many of the senators and honourable members are my personal friends, and so you don’t fight your friends. But we have a disagreement.

“You will remember when President Muhammadu Buhari inaugurated the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan, he had enormous support from the leadership of the National Assembly. So it means that we all agree there is a problem.

“There is also disagreement which I don’t think should make us disagreeable about the best way to implement that plan, and I think that is all there is to it.

“It is perhaps possible that in the heat of the moment, while trying to canvass different positions, we are misconstrued as fighting. But I am not fighting anybody. We have a disagreement it shouldn’t make us disagreeable.

“So my responsibility is to continue to engage. Also even if I wasn’t a minister, I am a citizen also, so the parliamentarians are also representing me.

“So these are the issues and if I have been misunderstood, my intention was not to quarrel with anybody but to see a better Nigeria which I believe they also want to see.”

http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/07/presidency-senate-fued-must-meet-conditions-peace-reign-surfaces/
Re: Presidency-senate Fued: ‘must Meet Conditions’ For Peace To Reign Surfaces Again by smartty68(m): 9:18am On Jul 15, 2017
Always fighting!!! Never setting good footprints to follow. The Elderly leaders of our generation are fools.
Re: Presidency-senate Fued: ‘must Meet Conditions’ For Peace To Reign Surfaces Again by sirequity(m): 9:19am On Jul 15, 2017
grin
Re: Presidency-senate Fued: ‘must Meet Conditions’ For Peace To Reign Surfaces Again by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 15, 2017
We kicking you both out in 2019

(1) (Reply)

Answers To Several Questions Asked About Igbos Agitation For Biafra / BREAKING: CAC Workers Begin Strike / PDP Leadership Crisis: I Turned Into A Prayer Warrior - Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.