Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? (3181 Views)

Web Designer Needed To Develop Websites / Which Programming Language Should One Know To Create A Quiz Based Website / Which Programming Language Do Yahoo, Gmail And Hotmail Used (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by MardiGras: 1:10am On Feb 04, 2010
Hello nairalanders,
Please help out a confused newbie. I need to learn website development (by that i mean design websites)
Which programming language/s should i learn.
Sometimes i hear people say learn php, mysql, javascript. . .i am confused.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by dueal(m): 7:50am On Feb 04, 2010
@mardigras. You don't need to learn a programming lang to create a website, all u need to do is pick up  Dreamweaver/Front page or the myraid of WYSIWYG apps for creating web pages. You could also read the HTML specification @ www.w3schools.com. If u want to go deeper into creating web apps, then pick the java programming language or pick Adobe flash(learn Ecma-actionscript). If u want to create dynamic pages via the client learn javascript, if u want it via the server learn php/asp/asp.net(learning javascript will be a benefit when u use any of the asp(s)). If u want to create the controlling system(the web server), then learn C/C++. All that is what you get to learn to be a web developer. WELCOME.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by MardiGras: 1:15pm On Feb 04, 2010
Dueal,
Thanks a lot for your reply, but i want to understand you.
Do you say all i need to learn is dreamweaver? So if i learn dreamweaver, and i'm approached by a client, i can design and deliver a working website. Is that it?
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by dueal(m): 1:58pm On Feb 04, 2010
@mardi gras. That's all u need till u start swimming in rougher seas.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 04, 2010
It's not easy and at the same time not difficult. All you need is to be determined and face problems associated with web designing as they come. Good luck man.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by olud64: 12:34pm On Feb 05, 2010
@Dueal

Dont you think it would be at least humane not to say anything if you are not sure of what you are saying. Please do not mislead the person who asked the question.!!!!
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by olud64: 12:48pm On Feb 05, 2010
@Mardi Gras

There are some fundamental things you need to know and make decisions on. Are you looking to be a web designer or a web developer. As a web designer, you basically need to have a creative flair and some, however little, experience in graphic design.

You will need to learn the fundamentals of the internet, how it works, how browsers work, screen resolutions, usability , accessibility. Some of it will come with experience and some you learn from he onset. You will also need to learn to code in HTML alongside using tools like photoshop, fireworks,illustrator and maybe dreamweaver.
In other words, a web designer basically creates the front end that you see on your browser.

A web developer is mor concerned with the functionality of a site and more importantly, the back end. what drives the site in the background. This is where you will need to lear along with HTML, server side languages like, asp.net c# or vb.net, php, ruby on rails, java etc. Good knowledge of databases and transact sql will be very helpful as most websites today are transactional.

Its such a wide field i could go on and on but i hope this helps you!
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by dueal(m): 12:54pm On Feb 05, 2010
@olu64. Don't u think u should point me out on where i'm wrong in my post. Seems like u didn't read mine before posting.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by olud64: 5:31pm On Feb 05, 2010
@dueal
I do apologise if i sounded rude, you made it sound so simplistic it may lure the questioner into a false sense of security. you must accept that there are thousands of people out there who think that one of the easiest and quickest ways of making a fast buck is to become a "web designer" and its important to let people know that just like any other profession, it takes sweat, disipline etc etc
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by dueal(m): 7:03pm On Feb 05, 2010
@olu64. Now i see ur point. But i doubt if the poster (mardi gras) needs someone to tell him that it's not lolly to get to that point in the profession. Like my motto: Nothing comes from Nothing.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by oguntobi(m): 11:24am On Apr 06, 2010
as a beginner you need to learn from the expert so that you can really be a guru.u can get tutorial from www.lynda.com that will really help u to very good even thou u don't hav any experience b4 now. i hav bought some of their tutorial u can mail me if u need me to born a copy to dvd for u just at little fee to what they collect and i promise u that u will be very good i am a web master as and i learned most of my experiences from them. oguntobi09@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by Ooduafello(m): 2:31pm On Apr 12, 2010
hey all u need is to leave CSS AND HTML and u are good to go. u need not pay any shit money to no one or better still just youtubed the vid
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by oddworldstranger(m): 2:53pm On Apr 12, 2010
WELL I DONT REALLY KNOW HOW OLD YOU ARE PRESENTLY, FOR THE BEST RESULTS YOU NEED TO START PROGRAMMING AT A YOUNG AGE, BUT NOT TOO WORRY, YOU CAN ACHIEVE ANYTHING ONCE YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT AND REMAIN FOCUS, YOU CAN CHECK OUT:
WWW.VTC.COM THEY HAVE PLENTY OF TUTORIALS IN PROGRAMMING AND WEB DEVELOPMENT,

All the Best,
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by youngbobby(m): 6:17am On Apr 14, 2010
I'll like to correct the impression that
"Javascript will be a benefit with any of the asp(s)" - by Dueal.

That is a complete fatal error in thought and in speech.
Javascript is just a nice ingredient that makes your coding sweet regardless of which "major" coding platform you are under.
Take facebook (pc version) for example; it was coded under the php programming language and javascript ingredient.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by netghost: 12:17am On Apr 15, 2010
in my own view i will say that you dont need dreamweaver if u choose to go with a language like C# asp.net or VB.Net asp.net

but if u decide to go with a language like php than u will probably need to learn DW, well i develop in c#asp.net and it comes with a lot of tools compared to dreamweaver, go with it, it give u the opportunity to learn both desktop and web based programming faster
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by beulahit: 3:01am On Apr 21, 2010
My brother, the first thing you need to learn is Hpertext Mackup Language (HTML). you can Use Fronpage for that as your development environmeb. after that you will learn cascading Style Sheet CSS, then you can now graduate to Javascript, PHP/MYsql and so on depend on your interest. beulahit.com
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by vowiski(m): 6:01pm On Apr 21, 2010
@Poster, Don't let anyone deceive you  Picking up Dreamweaver or whatever will never make you a professional
i love coding for fun, and there are alot of stuff you cant do with GUI, if you base your knowledge on these software's, when you encounter problems you would be stranded .DEDICATE some time and learn how to code, create your first site hardcoded, thereafter you can start using the GUI if u like .
GUI is always limited, thats one thing you must know, that's why they keep upgrading and stuff like that. I have no respect for people who design websites with the GUI, yet the make the loudest noise!
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by Nobody: 12:53am On Apr 22, 2010
Imagine where programmers live, only vowiski post makes sense, Bunch of stupidz programmers.

Learn HTML then CSS, go and Learn PHP-SQL Interaction then followed by Javascript.

Java builds mostly rich, i mean robust web applications. Most sites use php for the programming all layout matters are HTML-CSS based with graphics. The main idea is to learn the outlook first. Most definately you will encouter need to create users/Contact page than works well. So that's where php/sql will be of need.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 24, 2010
thank you very much don puzo, you have given the correct answer, and represented us (webmasters section) properly.
lol @ bunch of stoopid programmers - i guess they were tryin to help based on their "experience" but so far (aside vowiski) only tried to succeed in confusing the poster.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Apr 25, 2010
@dhtml. They are very annoying, Na only mouth them get, Shoo. like i never develop any site, only browsing nland and reading DHTML and other peeps post will even make me speak better then peeps who will tell you they have degree in programming,

Everything is not about coding like you said!!! tongue Guess i just understood that!!!

**Hisses**
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Apr 25, 2010
Leave them boys alone, you know say the programming boys dey write codes more than the web guys like us (but they should stick with them compilers and leave us with our stuffs)
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by jeffman(m): 3:45pm On Apr 26, 2010
@Donpuzo. saying bunch of stupid programmers is really far fetched. I read all posts and they all seem to make sense.

start with dreamweaver or any WYSIWYG, learn html and css together with the graphics skills. for web development go with a server scripting lang like PHP, ASP.NET, CFM, JSP/JSF/

i think the last paragraph was a summary of all they said and it is not in my opinion stupid but your calling them stupid was lousy talk in my opinion.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 26, 2010
@jeffman. ehen? No shitzz.

But come, if their's was arranged like urs, in a well order, me no go insult any body na,

Really have no time to address you now. Catch ya laterz.
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by Nobody: 4:32am On Apr 27, 2010
@jeffman, it is not what they said that was the problem, it was how they said it. To me i can tell they have some exposures in web development, but then, i doubt if they are real webmasters per say "experience wise". The order of arrangement is very important for learning
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by AbiodunFaf(m): 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2011
Check out this site for free information and updates

www.rightsiteclick.com
Re: Which Programming Language(s) Should I Learn To Develop Websites? by MardiGrasii(f): 10:08am On Aug 04, 2021
dueal:
@mardigras. You don't need to learn a programming lang to create a website, all u need to do is pick up  Dreamweaver/Front page or the myraid of WYSIWYG apps for creating web pages. You could also read the HTML specification @ www.w3schools.com. If u want to go deeper into creating web apps, then pick the java programming language or pick Adobe flash(learn Ecma-actionscript). If u want to create dynamic pages via the client learn javascript, if u want it via the server learn php/asp/asp.net(learning javascript will be a benefit when u use any of the asp(s)). If u want to create the controlling system(the web server), then learn C/C++. All that is what you get to learn to be a web developer. WELCOME.

(1) (Reply)

Sport Betting Template Is In Joomla 1.5 And 1.7 Style Is For Sale / Hp Elitebook 8560p Review / A-Z: Installing And Customizing Carrington Mobile Theme For Wordpress -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.