Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,395 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. (70150 Views)

The Real Reason Yoruba Wants Its Independence / It Doesn't Take Decades To Fight Corruption, Rwandan President Tells Buhari / How Did Nigeria Win Its Independence From Great Britain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Bobby808: 2:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
Omoluabi16:
This just makes me feel sad. Nigeria was so serene..so beautiful. we had so much promise, and at that pace could have been a 1st world country today. Herbert Macaulay would turn in his grave. The whites left, and within 3 years we bleeped it up.

Explorers you're a blessing to nairaland. I doff my hat.
True, him try sha. Explorer, please waiting for more. Even if you and Buhari na the same family, I promise I will never attack you.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by sucobaba(m): 2:28pm On Jul 16, 2017
Thanks OP, I remembered my late dad again

The oleku dressings, Kingsway, how Lagos never sleeps.,light everywhere.....St Louis sugar and milk testing different now...Julius Berger superb blocks and construction (He used their block to build his house, knack anything on the wall and get a Robb to massage your hand) and finally NIGERIA AIRWAYS...Africa's leading airline motto...the envy of all then.

in his eyes....We were a great nation, where the little they had then were sufficient for a decent and good life.

Nigeria....which way to go?

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by malware: 2:28pm On Jul 16, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Have you been to Kaduna or Kano?

Just imagine the question he's asking a core Northerner grin

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by chiagozien(m): 2:29pm On Jul 16, 2017
embee3:

I feel terrible seeing this image. It's like it's happening for real. I feel bad for my dear country. This country I love so much. I don't want to loose hope just yet.
i once love it but now i can do anything to bring it down.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by avaa(m): 2:30pm On Jul 16, 2017
EazyMoh:

I knew I will see an ignorant comment like this.
If it isn't broken why fix it?
Northerners had schools, courts with learned judges, dressing and culture. A well established economy built on trade and manufacturing. Goods produced in northern Nigeria were exported to different parts of the world.
In contrast your ancestors were barbecuing each other if any individual strayed out of their village domain. Killing twins and wearing very little to cover up.
So no! the north don't have to change everything to imitate your white masters you so much look up to in every aspect despite what they did to you.
You copy their religion, dressing, food, behavior and then turn around and view anybody who doesn't do same as primitive?
It's pathetic!

Uhm, just to be clear, the North also copied the Arabian religion too. So maybe you should remove that from your punches.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Jflex07(m): 2:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
JikanBaura:
cry Everything was normal cry until some group decide to take coup to destroyed and killed the only Faithful leaders we had. Now they want another country . we will make sure you lost Every wealth in life to have that country you want. stewpigs Biafrats
learn to spell first.. Ewedu skull miner

2 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by talk2riel: 2:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
Gemc3:
It can only be Explorers.

Nigeria looked way better then. So sad what we have now.
Really thrilled with the neatness and serenity. 85% of our cities are trash dump
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by amdoyin82(m): 2:36pm On Jul 16, 2017
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it
the intrusion of selfish military men.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 16, 2017
Good old days
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by mceze(m): 2:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
Ishilove:

Creativity. These days, a majority of them are indoors browsing Nairaland and Twitter, commenting feckery.

Hello Ishilove..Pls, do you know how to write script? Am looking for a mentor or guidance..Here is my email-angelezeus@yahoo.com
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Maduawuchukwu(m): 2:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
malware:

Just imagine the question he's asking a core Northerner grin

You were not the one I asked nah. I was asking the guy who said he sees no change in the north from what it was in the past.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by coveredchic(f): 2:41pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Two donkeys are pictured loaded up with a rather hefty load of crates.
These are not crates. They're empty tins. Groundnut oil was stored in them back then. Remember the turkey brand of groundnut oil that came in these tins?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 16, 2017
@majorbravo that is well noted. Bravo,sir and thanks.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by soath(m): 2:52pm On Jul 16, 2017
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it
loose
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by mcayomind: 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2017
that football photo, I think I saw CAC Okitipupa beside that ball...... maybe it was taken at okitipupa or something.

Abi what could that mean Explorer?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 16, 2017
While watching those pictures, it occurs to me that all the people and animals in those pictures are all dead.

Then it also occurs to me that someday in the distant future somebody will also look at some of our old pictures and videos and realize that the people in that picture/video are all dead.

That's part of the irony of life.

4 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by isrena: 2:55pm On Jul 16, 2017
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it
We lost it where we threw away the pyramids in favour of the OIL. We lost it when OIL came. We are still losing it for the same reason. As the love of money is to the root of all evil, so is the discovery of oil to the root our problem.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nackzy: 2:56pm On Jul 16, 2017
This piece is so rich
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by isrena: 2:57pm On Jul 16, 2017
Joeblack01:
While watching those pictures, it occurs to me that all the people and animals in those pictures are all dead.

Then it also occurs to me that someday in the distant future somebody will also look at some of our old pictures and videos and realize that the people in that picture/video are all dead.

That's part of the irony of life.
Not all of them. There are kids in the pics from the 60s and 70s.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by vkeeshez(m): 2:58pm On Jul 16, 2017
Wow Great
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by tekslee: 3:01pm On Jul 16, 2017
Really nice!!!!!!how time flies
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by bigtt76(f): 3:06pm On Jul 16, 2017
Sad! With the disappearance of the groundnut pyramids came the importation of animal fat based, synthetic and adulterated cooking oil.

This in turn lead to high cholesterol levels and high incidents of heart related ailments and deaths.

Not forgetting the bleeding of our economy to foot their importation

Explorers:
Groundnut pyramid.

Groundnut pyramids were pyramid-like structures made from groundnut sacks.

The pyramids were built in northern Nigeriain cities such as Kano, where groundnut production was a key part of the economy.

They were viewed as both a tourist attraction and a symbol of wealth.

One groundnut pyramid could be made from as much as 15,000 full groundnut bags.

In the 1960s and 70s, as production in Nigeria shifted from agriculture to oil, the groundnut pyramids disappeared.

Recently, the Nigerian government has made efforts to revive the groundnut industry and rebuild the pyramids.

Wiki

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by bigtt76(f): 3:08pm On Jul 16, 2017
There were no 'turkey' brand of groundnut oil rather it was cooking oil made from turkey fat. Groundnut oil had that distinct aroma but not the turkey branded cooking oil.

coveredchic:

These are not crates. They're empty tins. Groundnut oil was stored in them back then. Remember the turkey brand of groundnut oil that came in these tins?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 16, 2017
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it

Where did we 'lose' it?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by sapele914(m): 3:20pm On Jul 16, 2017
nero2face:
this was when Lord Lugard thought his experiments was working out well, little did he know it was a great error, I wish He's alive today to see how woefully he failed...
You are the failure not Nigeria,no country is an utopia?The British should have left you alone to keep eating and killing human beings as sacrifice,to continue killing twins as evil spirits,they should have left you in your ignorance and not introduced you to christianity?,what is the name of your tribe?was it not the British and portuguese that named your kinsmen and documented the word igbo?Before British colonial rule in the 20th century, the Igbo were a politically fragmented group, with a number of centralized chiefdoms such as Nri, Arochukwu, Agbor and Onitsha. Frederick Lugard introduced the Eze system of "Warrant Chiefs".
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Salym(m): 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2017
Zane2point4:
I took my time to look at the pics posted here, they only set of people that never changed both in dress sense and environment is the NORTH, Nothing changed atall.
They aint agents of change, they prefer there primitive selfs.
Its only people like you who dress like the Neaderthals that will view western dressing as civilisation. For us, who dont need the white man to rescue us from primitive life of hunting and gathering, there is no need to change our mode of dressing. Look at our architecture, compare it with yours or that of any part of Nigeria, you would find in ours a rather advanced architecture that cant be found anywhere else. In all those pictures shown, the positive things about the North in that era have been shown. Can you please show us your own part of the country as at then lets make comparisons?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Ichietome: 3:26pm On Jul 16, 2017
Zane2point4:
I took my time to look at the pics posted here, they only set of people that never changed both in dress sense and environment is the NORTH, Nothing changed atall.
They aint agents of change, they prefer there primitive selfs.
Truth. Fear North. The real problem of Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by malware: 3:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

You were not the one I asked nah. I was asking the guy who said he sees no change in the north from what it was in the past.

But it was me that you quoted
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by nothernstar: 3:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
Where did we get it wrong. Judging from what I saw.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by fumiswtpusy(f): 3:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
I noticed from these thread that some region has always been dirty and smell like poo.
While some has been illiterates from day one and are dirty and blood thirsty from day one.
While the other guy operating that machine a biafran has always been intelligent even before the sun rose up in africa.i
I am the only,neat,brave and truthful Yoruba girl.my weakness in my wet pussy which is normal for our ladies.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Teedawg: 3:38pm On Jul 16, 2017
After reading all the post all i have seen are bunch of lazy people doing nothing but pointing fingers and blaming the past leaders..Blaming people who knew how to sacrifice themselves for greater good .
what if the whites never came How will the country even be right now..oil was Blessing to Nigeria just that the same way we have theives in our society so we had thieves in politics whose sole am is to steal not all politician is there to help so deal with it..the people that put you in this situation are in your front right now you see them on TV everyday but yet you turn blind and blame people that gave you the freedom in the first place..you blame whites for leaving soon dont you have the common sense to continue from where they stop ...stay there and be blaming ethnical factors and diversity as the reason for our destruction we have the resources no country apart from china russia Usa and india has but we dont know how to use it because we fold arms and point fingers meanwhile the real people who caused this and their families are making money out of us..
The only people that can fix nigeria is we the people nobody else but nigeria still remains the same because we are still the same we dont wanna come out of our cormfort zone..we want the senators that will pass bill that will fix the country in 24hrs trust me it will still crash because we Nigerians are the cause of our problems ...also talking about boosting agriculture i laugh . you think in the past it was the government that sponsored agriculture? No individuals stood up to do it and becAme succesful at it they didnt sit doan and wait for government to do it they did it for their own reputation a character which we've lost.

if you read this i hope my message has gotten to you and has helped you understand How to fix this country . One Nigeria God bless Nigeria!
peace

2 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
Ishilove:

Nowadays, if half their brezz doesn't show then they haven't slayed.

Before then they were walking around naked, your point is ...?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Tinubu Wins In Benue With 310,468 Votes / Dr Obafemi Committed Suicide After Attending To Yusuf Buhari After Accident - SR / Osita Chidoka: Atiku's Likely Running Mate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.