Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,031 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu (11617 Views)

Niger Delta Youths Reacts On Asari Dokubo "I Will Stop Agitation For Biafra / Setback For Atiku As Yar Adua’s Group Declares Support For Buhari / Jerusalem As Capital: IPOB Turkey 'Diplomat' Ally Withdraws Support For Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by sarrki(m): 5:41am On Jul 16, 2017
George Moghalu is the National Auditor of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and aspirant for the party’s governorship ticket in Anambra State. In this interview with newsmen, he expresses reservation about the agitation for an independent Biafran Republic by separatist groups like the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), declaring that such agitation will undermine the South-East quest for the Presidency. TAIWO AMODU brings excerpts:

WHAT are those things you feel aren’t being done normally in Anambra State that you want to correct when you become the governor, considering the fact that the incumbent governor can still seek a fresh mandate?

I try to use an analogy to explain the situation in Anambra State. When you come into a dark room, if you come in with a candle, there is light and there is illumination. If you bring in a bulb, there is an improvement on the candle. If you bring in floodlight, you have greater illumination. It looks like the day. So, that’s exactly the situation in Anambra. What some people see is a candle-lit situation because I believe that the potentialities of the state to be number one in this country is there. But first we need to create an enabling environment for the private sector to grow. We need to build on our potential to expand the place. We need to change the narrative.

For me, there is quite a lot to be done in Anambra, in terms of governance, infrastructural development, expanding our agricultural base to address unemployment. This is why I have taken time to build up a manifesto which I am going to sell to the people. I have said we must de-emphasise oil if we really want to drive this economy and that’s because with our emphasis on certificates, today people buy the certificates which they cannot defend. We must target a situation where we train people so that they can be self-reliant and have the capacity to employ people in a very short time. We have a lot to do in our state. Our infrastructure is totally decayed. Never mind what you see on television. There is quite a lot to be done.

How confident are you with APC in this forthcoming election? Just a few days ago, your party lost an election in Osun State. The Anambra election will be the next. Do you think APC is strong in the state?

I keep telling people, for every election apart from the party, individual candidates you present have a very strong role to play. For APC as a party, we are very acceptable in Anambra. So, when they are looking at APC as a party, they look at individuals that represent APC. I know I have a credible record that Anambra people can trust. Today, I am seen as a credible politician. I am seen as somebody who is consistent, as somebody whom when I say something, I stick to it and whenever I enter into a commitment I do everything humanly possible to keep to the agreement. So, it is about the person and the party. So, when you join the credibility of the candidate and that of the party you have a candidate that can be easily sold to the people. That’s what I am selling.

How do you intend to diversify the economy of your state, to earn for it foreign exchange?

We can keep depending on federal allocation. It doesn’t make political sense, it doesn’t make economic sense because today, we are a mono-cultural economy and because of that it is controlled by external forces. We don’t determine the price of oil and when the external forces forced down the price of oil, it affects our economy. So everyone rushes to Abuja every month, but I don’t think it makes sense. So, agriculture must be given priority. Yes, Anambra has the potential to grow rice to make reasonable impact. So, we must expand that, not only production but exporting our produced rice. How do you do this? We must try to industrialise the sector so that people as they produce, you buy up from them. We must have a commodity market situation so that you can encourage local production. But when the conditions aren’t there, there is the likelihood that it will not grow.

We need to get the private sector involved. We must create the enabling environment for them to grow and to do this, we must address some basic issues. We must look at road, power infrastructure, cost of capital. These are areas government has a strong role and if government does its bit, I am sure the operating space will be conducive and we can have rice production at a considerable cost. So, I think agriculture is the way to go.

Ahead of this election, a separatist group in the South-East, IPOB, has vowed to disrupt the election. As an aspirant, aren’t you worried?

The issue of not wanting Biafra and not wanting election, I think it has been sufficiently addressed by various Igbo organisations. Ohanaeze has come out to make its position clear. What message are we sending when we say we don’t want to have election in Anambra? One state in our zone? It doesn’t make sense. I believe that there will be election and I believe that the Ohanaeze and other Igbo leaders have come out to say that the elections will hold in the South-East. I am sure that the Federal Government has the capacity to provide enough security for people in Anambra.

The APC leaders set up a committee to interface with aspirants ahead of the party primary. Can we have an update on how far they have gone? There is also the insinuation that zoning doesn’t favour you in Anambra. What is your reaction?

To put the first leg of your question clearer, it is the South-East APC leadership that set up that committee to look at how to run the Anambra election, interface with all the aspirants with a view to first of all making sure that we have a common relationship, making sure that everybody understands that it isn’t a do-or-die thing, that we have relationship that is beyond elections and I think so far, it has been so good. We have met with them, others have been invited, we have also met together. I think they are sincere and they are committed. They all wish that we win Anambra election. They see the assignment given to them as a serious one. So, I wish them well and I want to assure everyone that every support required of me to make sure that the committee succeeds in this assignment, I will be willing to offer.

Then coming to the issue of zoning. We have tried to address this issue in many scenarios. First of all, Anambra leadership has never met to do zoning in the state. Somebody asked the question: that the North has produced two terms and I say, did those in the South do two terms? Chinwoke Mbadinuju did one term and he comes from the south. After four years, he wasn’t allowed to do a second term. The governorship was given to our brother and leader in the state, Senator Chris Ngige. Thereafter, from Chris Ngige to Peter Obi. Between Ngige and Obi, they did almost 12 years, and it left central and came to the North. North, by November 18 will have done four years. So, if you must talk about equity and fairness, it should return back to south for south to complete their term, then it goes back to north. It equates to the same position of the south. At that point, we can now agree on zoning and then it can commence. You cannot move the goal post in the middle of the match!

What is your take on Igbo presidency?

On the issue of Igbo presidency, why not? By the time the presidency leaves the North after eight years, what will happen is that honestly speaking every zone in this country has produced the president except the South-East and I think that we the leaders of South-East should go back to the drawing table to plot, to think, to work out how it is going to manifest, because we are looking at the president of Nigeria of Igbo extraction. For us to achieve that, we must talk to the northerners, we need to talk to the South-West, we need to talk to every Nigerian to see it from our perspective. If we should be talking about that, I don’t think it makes sense for us to be talking about secession, because they are two straight lines that can never meet

http://tribuneonlineng.com/agitation-biafra-setback-igbo-presidency-moghalu/

1 Share

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by madridguy(m): 5:43am On Jul 16, 2017
Nnamdi cownu/Shekau for 2019- Ipork yuut shocked

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by sarrki(m): 5:45am On Jul 16, 2017
This are good elders

Saying the Truth

The online chest beaters won't understand

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by madridguy(m): 5:46am On Jul 16, 2017
We the yuut of Biafrog don't want presidency, we want freedom. grin Morning boss

sarrki:
This are good elders

Saying the Truth

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by sarrki(m): 5:49am On Jul 16, 2017
madridguy:
We the yuut of Biafrog don't want presidency, we want freedom. grin Morning boss

grin grin

Morning sire

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by ebukahandsome(m): 6:01am On Jul 16, 2017
See them awon afonjas
Meanwhile chelsea trash fulham 8:2 on a friendly match at cobham.. Welcome bakayoko

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by 9jabull: 6:13am On Jul 16, 2017
See idiot dreaming of igbo president while they are killing his people.

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by ESDKING: 6:32am On Jul 16, 2017
And who gives a fuccck about the presidency ?.
More number of @bokiss have been the president of this failed stagnant entity, how has it enhanced the life of amajiris that occupied the whole town in the their region.

You cherish presidency more than your freedom ?
Moghalu is not only fooolish, but a stvpid sellout.

88 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Baawaa(m): 6:33am On Jul 16, 2017
That is why some mumu Bia-fraud people are saying no election 2019,

1 Like

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by nzeobi(m): 6:36am On Jul 16, 2017
Igbo presidency is an individual thing and has nothing special for the entire Igbo race.
obasanjos presidency did not have any special impact in the southwest, GEJ wasn't felt much in ND
and buhari in the north.

75 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Baawaa(m): 6:36am On Jul 16, 2017
ebukahandsome:
See them awon afonjas
Meanwhile chelsea trash fulham 8:2 on a friendly match at cobham.. Welcome bakayoko
Ebuka,he be like say you want go back village,oh you don forget say viewing center no dey village grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by ipobarecriminals: 6:39am On Jul 16, 2017
cool cheesy wink grin sad biafra dey will not get,president,dey will not get.. We don't want confused lots.Kanu and his Igbos touts are fraudsters,terrorist

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by alcmene: 6:45am On Jul 16, 2017
Who president epp?

Afonjas presidency wasn't able to salvage their situation as they have now resorted to human parts business to make ends meet.

Hausas despite dominating in the presidency is the poorest region in the country .

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by sarrki(m): 6:45am On Jul 16, 2017
Baawaa:

Ebuka,he be like say you want go back village,oh yon don forget say viewing center no dey village grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I can't help but to keep laughing

3 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by KahlDrogo(m): 6:53am On Jul 16, 2017
Has anyone noticed that since the Supreme Court's verdict, Kanu has been very quiet. No new pictures of him, no comments either. cheesy

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Nobody: 7:05am On Jul 16, 2017
9jabull:
See idiot dreaming of igbo president while they are killing his people.
But you're not dead yet

1 Like

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Blizzy9ja: 7:07am On Jul 16, 2017
Sometime I just pity the OP(Sarrki), he's worried about the Igbos leaving, even having sleepless nights, If this people dont want a presidency, pls start learning how to live without them

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Yyeske(m): 7:12am On Jul 16, 2017
KahlDrogo:
Has anyone noticed that since the Supreme Court's verdict, Kanu has been very quiet. No new pictures of him, no comments either. cheesy
Your head dey there, I thought I was the only person who noticed it

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Okoroawusa: 7:28am On Jul 16, 2017
Yyeske:

Nnamdi Kanu is dead

6 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Nobody: 7:31am On Jul 16, 2017
Dull@rd presidency of Nigger Area grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by kodath(f): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2017
sarrki:
This are good elders
Saying the Truth
have you grabbed a skull today??

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by kodath(f): 7:38am On Jul 16, 2017
igbo matter is giving these awon afffonjas sleepless night..while I couldn't see them in any thread where arewas threatens to deal with them..but here that are masturbating on igbo matter...why the fuss??does it mean you people can't live without igbos...for once pretend not to care about igbo matters and focus on yours. ..ehn, ,you people are giving us reason why you can't live without igbos....

even there oba kidnapped himself but I didn't see any of them in that thread

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/gov-ambode-suspends-traditional-ruler-faking-kidnap/

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by chiagozien(m): 7:42am On Jul 16, 2017
Who president help,the one that travelled to london have not come back una dey talk about another president.president is never the problem of average igbo man,what we want is justic,fairness and equity but can we get that in nigeria.i dont think so,biafra is here....

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by chiagozien(m): 7:46am On Jul 16, 2017
sarrki:
This are good elders

Saying the Truth

niger area zombies always on igbo matter like.......

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by 9jabull: 7:48am On Jul 16, 2017
[quote author=GoroTango post=58502444] But you're not dead yet [/quot
Igbo Nigeria president can never come all we want is Biafra. day dreamers.

3 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 16, 2017
Abokiis will always be abokiis. Bunch of illiterates
Yyeske:

13 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Warship: 8:59am On Jul 16, 2017
Did presidency help other regions

4 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by rozayx5(m): 9:23am On Jul 16, 2017
I am a real Niger delta son

I stand with biafra

If you love Nigeria then

tell me what I have gained from Nigeria

You can keep your presidency for your Fulani peeps and leave Us alone

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by victorazy(m): 9:24am On Jul 16, 2017
grin

4 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by mikeycharles(m): 9:24am On Jul 16, 2017
shocked
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by bbbabes(f): 9:24am On Jul 16, 2017
See them

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP National Chairmanship Contest: There Is Life After Convention / Subsidy: Labour Congress Fixes Jan 27, Feb 1 For Nationwide Protests / Nigeria Drags UK's Crime Agency To Court Over £150 Million Abacha Loot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.