Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu (11631 Views)

Niger Delta Youths Reacts On Asari Dokubo "I Will Stop Agitation For Biafra / Setback For Atiku As Yar Adua’s Group Declares Support For Buhari / Jerusalem As Capital: IPOB Turkey 'Diplomat' Ally Withdraws Support For Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Narldon: 9:24am On Jul 16, 2017
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by hardeycute(m): 9:24am On Jul 16, 2017
To hell with zoning.

What we need is competency
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 16, 2017
h
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by NwaAmaikpe: 9:25am On Jul 16, 2017
shocked

No true Igbo man joins APC.

Moghalu can't be taken seriously.
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Nnamdi98(m): 9:25am On Jul 16, 2017
Rubbish
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Bloggz74(m): 9:25am On Jul 16, 2017
sarrki:
George Moghalu is the National Auditor of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and aspirant for the party’s governorship ticket in Anambra State. In this interview with newsmen, he expresses reservation about the agitation for an independent Biafran Republic by separatist groups like the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), declaring that such agitation will undermine the South-East quest for the Presidency. TAIWO AMODU brings excerpts:

WHAT are those things you feel aren’t being done normally in Anambra State that you want to correct when you become the governor, considering the fact that the incumbent governor can still seek a fresh mandate?

I try to use an analogy to explain the situation in Anambra State. When you come into a dark room, if you come in with a candle, there is light and there is illumination. If you bring in a bulb, there is an improvement on the candle. If you bring in floodlight, you have greater illumination. It looks like the day. So, that’s exactly the situation in Anambra. What some people see is a candle-lit situation because I believe that the potentialities of the state to be number one in this country is there. But first we need to create an enabling environment for the private sector to grow. We need to build on our potential to expand the place. We need to change the narrative.

For me, there is quite a lot to be done in Anambra, in terms of governance, infrastructural development, expanding our agricultural base to address unemployment. This is why I have taken time to build up a manifesto which I am going to sell to the people. I have said we must de-emphasise oil if we really want to drive this economy and that’s because with our emphasis on certificates, today people buy the certificates which they cannot defend. We must target a situation where we train people so that they can be self-reliant and have the capacity to employ people in a very short time. We have a lot to do in our state. Our infrastructure is totally decayed. Never mind what you see on television. There is quite a lot to be done.

How confident are you with APC in this forthcoming election? Just a few days ago, your party lost an election in Osun State. The Anambra election will be the next. Do you think APC is strong in the state?

I keep telling people, for every election apart from the party, individual candidates you present have a very strong role to play. For APC as a party, we are very acceptable in Anambra. So, when they are looking at APC as a party, they look at individuals that represent APC. I know I have a credible record that Anambra people can trust. Today, I am seen as a credible politician. I am seen as somebody who is consistent, as somebody whom when I say something, I stick to it and whenever I enter into a commitment I do everything humanly possible to keep to the agreement. So, it is about the person and the party. So, when you join the credibility of the candidate and that of the party you have a candidate that can be easily sold to the people. That’s what I am selling.

How do you intend to diversify the economy of your state, to earn for it foreign exchange?

We can keep depending on federal allocation. It doesn’t make political sense, it doesn’t make economic sense because today, we are a mono-cultural economy and because of that it is controlled by external forces. We don’t determine the price of oil and when the external forces forced down the price of oil, it affects our economy. So everyone rushes to Abuja every month, but I don’t think it makes sense. So, agriculture must be given priority. Yes, Anambra has the potential to grow rice to make reasonable impact. So, we must expand that, not only production but exporting our produced rice. How do you do this? We must try to industrialise the sector so that people as they produce, you buy up from them. We must have a commodity market situation so that you can encourage local production. But when the conditions aren’t there, there is the likelihood that it will not grow.

We need to get the private sector involved. We must create the enabling environment for them to grow and to do this, we must address some basic issues. We must look at road, power infrastructure, cost of capital. These are areas government has a strong role and if government does its bit, I am sure the operating space will be conducive and we can have rice production at a considerable cost. So, I think agriculture is the way to go.

Ahead of this election, a separatist group in the South-East, IPOB, has vowed to disrupt the election. As an aspirant, aren’t you worried?

The issue of not wanting Biafra and not wanting election, I think it has been sufficiently addressed by various Igbo organisations. Ohanaeze has come out to make its position clear. What message are we sending when we say we don’t want to have election in Anambra? One state in our zone? It doesn’t make sense. I believe that there will be election and I believe that the Ohanaeze and other Igbo leaders have come out to say that the elections will hold in the South-East. I am sure that the Federal Government has the capacity to provide enough security for people in Anambra.

The APC leaders set up a committee to interface with aspirants ahead of the party primary. Can we have an update on how far they have gone? There is also the insinuation that zoning doesn’t favour you in Anambra. What is your reaction?

To put the first leg of your question clearer, it is the South-East APC leadership that set up that committee to look at how to run the Anambra election, interface with all the aspirants with a view to first of all making sure that we have a common relationship, making sure that everybody understands that it isn’t a do-or-die thing, that we have relationship that is beyond elections and I think so far, it has been so good. We have met with them, others have been invited, we have also met together. I think they are sincere and they are committed. They all wish that we win Anambra election. They see the assignment given to them as a serious one. So, I wish them well and I want to assure everyone that every support required of me to make sure that the committee succeeds in this assignment, I will be willing to offer.

Then coming to the issue of zoning. We have tried to address this issue in many scenarios. First of all, Anambra leadership has never met to do zoning in the state. Somebody asked the question: that the North has produced two terms and I say, did those in the South do two terms? Chinwoke Mbadinuju did one term and he comes from the south. After four years, he wasn’t allowed to do a second term. The governorship was given to our brother and leader in the state, Senator Chris Ngige. Thereafter, from Chris Ngige to Peter Obi. Between Ngige and Obi, they did almost 12 years, and it left central and came to the North. North, by November 18 will have done four years. So, if you must talk about equity and fairness, it should return back to south for south to complete their term, then it goes back to north. It equates to the same position of the south. At that point, we can now agree on zoning and then it can commence. You cannot move the goal post in the middle of the match!

What is your take on Igbo presidency?

On the issue of Igbo presidency, why not? By the time the presidency leaves the North after eight years, what will happen is that honestly speaking every zone in this country has produced the president except the South-East and I think that we the leaders of South-East should go back to the drawing table to plot, to think, to work out how it is going to manifest, because we are looking at the president of Nigeria of Igbo extraction. For us to achieve that, we must talk to the northerners, we need to talk to the South-West, we need to talk to every Nigerian to see it from our perspective. If we should be talking about that, I don’t think it makes sense for us to be talking about secession, because they are two straight lines that can never meet

http://tribuneonlineng.com/agitation-biafra-setback-igbo-presidency-moghalu/

Stooge dreaming
As if an igbo man will ever be president!

2 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by mikeycharles(m): 9:25am On Jul 16, 2017
chiagozien:
Who president help,the one that travelled to london have not come back una dey talk about another president.president is never the problem of average igbo man,what we want is justic,fairness and equity but can we get that in nigeria.i dont think so,biafra is here....
nice, but the colour you used is kinda loud, maybe tone it down a little
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by aku626(m): 9:30am On Jul 16, 2017
Like they'd ever be one.
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by RESPECTnoble: 9:35am On Jul 16, 2017
Story.
Who presidency epp?
It's just 1 man for himself.
And to the northerners and westerners, why carry the matter for head like this?
Let us be, bikonu. no be by force to go Dubai
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by dokiOloye(m): 9:39am On Jul 16, 2017
alcmene:
Who president epp?

Afonjas presidency wasn't able to salvage their situation as they have now resorted to human parts business to make ends meet.

Hausas despite dominating in the presidency is the poorest region in the country .
Laff wan kill me here grin
Why are U wicked like this?
Remember that d 4th commandment says "Keep the sabbath day holy" grin grin
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 9:40am On Jul 16, 2017
g
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by lozairio(m): 9:41am On Jul 16, 2017
sarrki:
This are good elders
Saying the Truth
The online chest beaters won't understand
This fool!!!
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by MartialArt2(m): 9:44am On Jul 16, 2017
nzeobi:
Igbo presidency is an individual thing and has nothing special for the entire Igbo race.
obasanjos presidency did not have any special impact in the southwest, GEJ wasn't felt much in ND
and buhari in the north.
BRO, YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON THAT CONTRIBUTED POSITIVELY ON THIS THREAD. HOPE OTHERS WILL BE REASONABLE ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND

1 Like

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Kei144(m): 10:00am On Jul 16, 2017
RESPECTnoble:
Story.

Who presidency epp?

It's just 1 man for himself.

And to the northerners and westerners, why carry the matter for head like this?

Let us be, bikonu.
no be by force to go Dubai

Exactly!

Did Obasanjo's Yoruba presidency change the condition of Yorubaland? Did Goodluck Jonathan's presidency forever prevent Fulani herdsmen from killing Niger Deltans? Igbo presidency will not bring any permanent change to Igboland. it will only deceive some people into thinking that all has become well.

1 Like

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by 1stMD: 10:02am On Jul 16, 2017
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 16, 2017
Igbos do not need Presidency, there is no country here to govern. We live on borrowed time and borrowed money.

There should be no elections, not even if an Igbo man is offered Presidency. The IPOB agitation is the only option unless we restructure.

IPOB is instrumental to every section waking up. Every Pressure Group in all regions of the country, should make sure no Elections hold in any part of this country until we sit our asss down and take away the powers of Abuja and give it to the States.

Now all the thieves own houses at Abuja where they sit down and share allocations every other month. It has been this way since 1960. Igbo Presidency will make no difference to the masses.

So, NO MORE ELECTIONS.

2 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by prettyboi1(m): 10:07am On Jul 16, 2017
sarrki:

What is your take on Igbo presidency?

On the issue of Igbo presidency, why not? By the time the presidency leaves the North after eight years, what will happen is that honestly speaking every zone in this country has produced the president except the South-East and I think that we the leaders of South-East should go back to the drawing table to plot, to think, to work out how it is going to manifest, because we are looking at the president of Nigeria of Igbo extraction. For us to achieve that, we must talk to the northerners, we need to talk to the South-West, we need to talk to every Nigerian to see it from our perspective. If we should be talking about that, I don’t think it makes sense for us to be talking about secession, because they are two straight lines that can never meet

http://tribuneonlineng.com/agitation-biafra-setback-igbo-presidency-moghalu/

Now, this is an intelligent man that understands politics & understands that politics is a game you have to play to win if you have an end goal. What a lot of our Igbo brothers want is for the presidency to be given for free as if other people don't want to win it too.
The south-east needs to come out of isolation & start strategizing & forming alliances with other geopolitical zones if it ever wants to win the presidency. It won't be given for free.
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by malware: 10:11am On Jul 16, 2017
madridguy:
We the yuut of Biafrog don't want presidency, we want freedom. grin Morning boss

Are you not free before? Who's holding you back? Mek una appoint President for Biafra abd stop spending Naira
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 10:11am On Jul 16, 2017
and who is telling this maggot that we want the presidency why are they afraid of Igbo's going their own way keep ur presidency and give us our Biafra... nothing else shikina... watch how yellowbar demons the unity beggars go take attack me

1 Like

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 16, 2017
Igbo Presidency not really important

A President of Igbo ethnicity should not be the priority of Igbos
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Benito2017: 10:25am On Jul 16, 2017
Biafra don't need Nigeria president. We want freedom and equity. Nigeria is a zoo where zombies an hyenas live. We are tired of the cage because we are not animals like Nigerians.
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Amoto94(m): 10:39am On Jul 16, 2017
To fulfill all righteousness it's high time Nigeria produce an Igbo President. Ngozi123 and Eph123 whatcha say?
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by LEOVOLUTION(m): 12:03pm On Jul 16, 2017
KahlDrogo:
Has anyone noticed that since the Supreme Court's verdict, Kanu has been very quiet. No new pictures of him, no comments either. cheesy
Has anyone also noticed that since the supreme court's verdict, PMB has been the one adhering to the Bail conditions given to Namdi kanu. grin cheesy

Not to be seen in a gathering of more than ten persons.

No press...
KARMA IS A HEARTLESS CREDITOR YOU KNOW grin

4 Likes

Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 16, 2017
No referendum No More Elections In Biafraland.
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by Allee90: 1:11pm On Jul 16, 2017
Hit Like if you believe Igbo can never be President in Nigeria. Share if otherwise
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by talk2emma: 1:23pm On Jul 16, 2017
Rip Nigeria
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by tonio2wo: 1:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
nzeobi:
Igbo presidency is an individual thing and has nothing special for the entire Igbo race.
obasanjos presidency did not have any special impact in the southwest, GEJ wasn't felt much in ND
and buhari in the north.

You head dey dia! It because of the continuous denial of igbos to rule that make them now want biafra.
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by nzeobi(m): 2:17pm On Jul 16, 2017
tonio2wo:

You head dey dia! It because of the continuous denial of igbos to rule that make them now want biafra.
you are saying the opposite
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by tonio2wo: 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2017
nzeobi:

you are saying the opposite

How?
Re: Agitation For Biafra, Setback For Igbo Presidency —moghalu by nzeobi(m): 2:46pm On Jul 16, 2017
tonio2wo:

How?
go back and read what I wrote carefully and slowly

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'Any Benue Person Voting APC Committing Suicide’ - Rebecca Akpedzan / Edo 2020: Protect Your Votes, Wike Tells Edo Electorates / Bayelsa West: APC Members Defect To PDP In Protest Of Zoning Violation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.