Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

An Introvert's Tale - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / An Introvert's Tale (8352 Views)

The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / Introvert (a Short Story) / Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Ann2012(f): 7:31am On Sep 17, 2019
Moura7:

funny.... I'd give you that.Thing is I'm new here and I'd really like you to check out my work 'undecided'....noticed your the Ateam here and trust me I wanna play for the Ateam
Going to check it out now
Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 8:26am On Sep 22, 2019
Chapter 8

The next day was a Saturday and unfortunately was the day specially set aside to make Jude's life hell. His dad didn't believe in getting hired help to tidy up the compound and do other chores when he had an able bodied strapping young man at home.

" Think of it like this Jude, you're already a young man and all these skills are important for any man to have before heading into marriage so all I'm doing is preparing you for the future. If you see it any other way, then you're just being lazy".

That was his father's alibi for making him was three cars, week through the vast compound of leaves (they had a lot of ornamental plants) tend to the plants, fill the gas, Iron his dads work clothes for the following week, take out the trash, pay the electricity bill e.t.c. In other words, Saturdays were hellish. After waking up at 6am grumpy as usual he started immediately knowing that if he procrastinated it would only get his mother on his case. So he set out to finish in record time.
Today, he only had three cars to clean since his dad wasn't back yet, the gas cylinder wouldn't need refilling for another week and he paid the electricity bill last week so he finished in record time. Running into the house at 10am sweaty and exhausted from his involuntary workout session, he collapsed on the bed and drifted off ignoring the calls of his mother for him to come down for breakfast. After 30minutes of recuperating (lazing about) on his bed, he heard his mums voice informing him that Ivie was on her way to his room.
Quicker than the flash, he jumped on rummaged around for a fresh pair of boxers which he was lucky to find and not for the first time he thanked God that he had his own bathroom. He entered the bathroom just as she entered his room(without knocking).

"Phew thank God, I don't know what I'd have done if she saw me all grimy. And to think she didn't even knock, all the women I know don't respect boundaries" He thought

"Hey jude, where are ya? Your mum said you were in your room" she shouted to get his attention.
"Oh I'm just showering, I'll be done soon"

And so he was but now he faced another dilemma, he had entered the bathroom in only his boxers and the only other article of clothing was the fresh pair of boxers he had taken along with him to the bathroom. Jude wasn't sure he was in bad shape. He was neither scrawny or overweight but he knew the saying "beauty lies in the eyes of the beuolder " applied to guys as well. He wasnt sure he was ready to feel her judgemental gaze on him just when he was really beginning to care what she thought about him.
The situation was so ridiculous that Jude almost laughed. A few days ago he didn't give a damn what anyone thought and now he was trapped in his own bathroom because his "not crush" was in his room. Dammmmmnnnnn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 8:28am On Sep 22, 2019
Hey guys chapter 8 finally out. Read and review smiley
Re: An Introvert's Tale by kingcornel(m): 8:41am On Sep 22, 2019
Nice write-up bro..keep it coming thanks

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 10:41am On Sep 22, 2019
Chapter 9

Ivie had woken up that morning at around 7am and joined her mum in sorting out everything that was left over from the previous day. The Security man doubled as an errand boy and swept the compound and did all other chores that did not concern the main house. Since the house had been thoroughly cleaned before they moved in, there was no need for any serious chores besides helping her mum prepare breakfast. Her dad would not be back till the following Friday and her primary focus was resuming school asap. It was the first term and she had already missed the first week of resumption. Her old school had boarding facilities but her mum would not here of anything that would keep her "baby" from her any longer than necessary. Hence her mum researched schools in town and settled for Aurora Academy. Aurora Academy was known nation wide for excelling in external exams and quiz competitions. They consistently made the top 3 schools with the best SSCE results annually and settled for nothing less than the best. Ivie was a stellar student loved by all her teachers and even the principal of her former school in Lagos wrote a glowing testimonial that was sure to get her admitted even though she was resuming rather late. She had checked the school website and bought everything that wasn't provided directly by the school, she had also forwarded her last result transcript from her old school and all that was left was the interview scheduled for Monday after which she'd be a full fledged student.
Ivie was not a patient girl and even though Monday was just two days away, she was eager to find out all she could about the school. Thankfully Jude attended the same school and though she had gotten side tracked in her mission to get information from him yesterday, she hoped to return today to complete her quest.
As she ate her breakfast of homemade Akara and Pap while making plans for the day, her mum's earlier suggestion that she might have a thing for Jude came to mind. She couldn't help but wonder why her mum made such a comment, perhaps she simply was teasing her but maybe she could sense something in Ivie's behaviour that lead her to make that conclusion. After all, mothers seemed to have built in emotional sensors on all their children and more often than not could read them like an open book.

"If that's the case does that mean she's right?" She wondered "No I don't think so. I just met the guy for Christ sake"

She knew she was a social butterfly and all that but what most people didn't know was that more often than not, she was reacting to people's advances. She just seemed to exude an aura that drew people in. Physically she was extremely beautiful. People expected her to treat others with disdain as a result of the fact that she was beautiful and smart but she was humble and had a smile for everyone. Fortunately or unfortunately the more she drew people in involuntarily, the more attention she got and the more people got caught under the spell she had unwittingly cast. Male and female teachers marvelled at the beautiful girl who was always polite, willing to help them run errands within the school, never had a bad word to say about anyone and never constituted a nuisance in class. They just fell in love with her.
Unbeknownst to everyone however, she had the ability to mirror people. That is, she could sense what people expected of her and play the role perfectly. When her gaggle of popular girls gushed over a movie she was there, when it was time for a science project, she showed equal enthusiasm, in further math class she excelled, at church she was a model youth.

This ability came to her naturally and coupled with her looks made her a daydream fantasy for all and sundry. It had one draw back however. She seemed to be living so many different lives that she didn't really have time for her true passions. She didn't even remember some of them to till she met Jude yesterday. With him, she found a kindred spirit, someone who shared her passions,who was genuinely interested in what she had to say and what she liked. Unlike most people he didn't give her a role to play. He let her be herself. It was simply exhilarating and she yearned for more of it.

"Hey mom, I'm off to Jude's place" Her mum was too engrossed in the Indian series "Bride with Benefits" to do more than grunt a reply....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Introvert's Tale by decent101(m): 12:09pm On Sep 23, 2019
wow! d game ix abt 2 start. ride on OP

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 12:02pm On Sep 24, 2019
Chapter 10

Ivie met the gate unlocked and quietly let herself into the compound. After a few moments knocking, she was let into the house by Jude's mum who greeted her fondly and told her Jude was upstairs. She climbed up the stairs with vigour and didn't even bother to knock. She was surprised to find the room empty and quickly called out to him. Ivie was happy to hear him reply that he was just showering.

Jude was nearly having a panic attack. After delaying for more than thirty minutes, common sense told him to run out of there before she assumed he was having diarrhoea or doing something perverted. Panicking at the thought, he ran out in just his boxers.

It was at this moment that Ivie realised her "taste" in men. She was already drawn to his detached and withdrawn persona. Coupled with his good looks and intelligence, he was every bit the hot emo kid next door. She was already aware of this at the back of her mind but seeing him nearly nude sent her mind into overdrive. He had a very well developed body, well proportioned and unblemished. His Full dark hair which he wore in the afro style was curly and framed his head like a halo. The overall effect was that he simply looked edible. She had the insane urge to lick off the droplets of was dripping from his still wet hair onto his chest. What got to her the most was that he wasn't even trying. He wasn't deliberately being seductive and didn't seem to care about(or realise) what he was doing to her. Most other guys that tried to get her attention by being loud in class, playing the bad boy role, using fashion, faking deep is seductive baritones and so on. What they didn't realise was that she could sense the fakeness of it all and it made her see them as dumb and immature.

Now here was a guy that was smoking hot and for the first time in a long time she couldn't sense ulterior motives in his conversation with her. She didn't know if she should be disappointed that the one guy she seemed to be interested in had not shown any sign of being interested in her.

Jude had simply done what he did when he was extremely stressed or unfortunately worried, he schooled his expression into a perfect poker face and adopted a laid back and uncaring posture. Walking to his wardrobe in a daze he picked out a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. Throwing them on he quickly combed his hair and he wore a pair of black socks as he liked to do while at home. Taking a deep breath he finally turned to face the object of his affection (yes, he finally admitted to himself). She had being unusually quiet and he couldn't read the expression on her face.

Ivie was confused, having come to see Jude as a really attractive guy whom she was having really dirty thoughts about, every thing he did seemed to make it worse. He looked incredibly sexy in his jeans and combing his hair made it fuller. "Kind of like a lions mane" she thought. "I want to touch it and see it its as soft as it looks".

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 12:05pm On Sep 24, 2019
Hey guys, I'm going to update often as long as I get feedback. mention and invite those you think might like it and of course, constructive criticism is allowed.
Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 12:10pm On Sep 24, 2019
Ann2012:
Following
Glad to know this..Updates available smiley

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Ann2012(f): 12:15pm On Sep 24, 2019
Ivie just got lovestruck
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Wane2: 12:57pm On Sep 24, 2019
Wow thank you for continuing this story, Good job

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 24, 2019
Great story. Thanks for continuing.

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 7:11pm On Sep 24, 2019
raptex:
Wane2:
Wow thank you for continuing this story, Good job
raptex:
Great to know you are still following....smiley
Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 7:11pm On Sep 24, 2019
Chapter 11

Jude didn't know what to think when he saw her staring at him. So he just assumed she'd zoned out.
"Hey Ivy sorry to have kept you waiting. I finished my chores and thought it wish to bath"

"What? Oh no problem, I wasn't waiting for long anyway" Ivie replied. "Great, so I'm guessing you want to know about school" asked Jude. "Well yeah, I need to know all there is to know so start talking"

Ivie tried to get the conversation going so as to prevent her mind from drifting off to recently discovered impure thoughts about Jude.
"Eh well, school is kinda boring and exciting at the same time. Aurora Academy places perfection above all else. They expect students to be perfectly dressed at all times, keep to time and I don't just mean been too punctual. You can get told off for being too early. The school advocates old fashioned ideas like being exactly " on time" so if you were supposed to be at the principal's office by 10am, you should knock at exactly 10am. Nigerian English slangs like "e na took my Biro" or he's the one da took my book" are a big no. The school director studied at Enton college in the U.k and therefore constantly tries to imbibe British culture into everything we do. We follow the British curriculum to the letter, Languages i.e English, French, Edo are taught by native speakers of the language that's why when students of Aurora Academy talk in public, people assume they are being pompous but thats not always the case. Our English language is groomed from kindergarten. No matter how good a staff member is in his or her field, if they do not have an exceptional command of the English language, they have no place in the school. In Aurora Academy, getting more than four Cs in core subjects can lead to one being asked to repeat a class. Any form of play or discussion during lesson periods will result in stiff punishment, of course they do not used the cane anymore but they can be quite creative with punishments. The teachers are extremely motivated with decades of experience. On break periods we play sports like chess, cricket, scrabble and basically anything that will develop one intellectually. We have a lot of clubs and everyone is expected to be registered and be an active participant in at least one club, our science courses are very practical oriented and the best of the best get special grooming for external competitions. Fighting and other forms of indiscipline lead to outright expulsion"
Ivie was surprised at the last part. Most high priced schools pampered their students but this one seemed to be different.

"Wow these guys are serious, I mean come on have they really expelled students for flimsy reasons" "Of course, a student in J.S.S 2 was caught cheating in a test and was expelled because the school did not want anything to ruin its stellar reputation. Its really something but you get used to it with time"
"Who's your best friend?" Ivie asked out of the blue. Jude was stunned, he wasn't even sure he had friends much less a best friend. The arrangement he had with his classmates was one of convenience. The guys disliked him for getting the girls without trying and for his enviable position as head boy. The girls tried to hard to impress and just ended up wearing him out. But he did have a few guys with whom he had a tentative friendship. One of whom was Ade.
Ade was a free spirit to the core, he totally enjoyed having fun and couldn't hold grudges. He had a 'live and let live' policy that made Jude feel at ease with him. Jude could still remember when they started talking. Ade had just to transferred to the school and they were in S.S.1.
Jude had a habit of drawing karikature images when bored. He was drawing the joker from batman when Ade walked up to him and struck up a conversation about the new batman movie he'd recently seen and how he had a website that enabled him to read American comic books for free as soon as they were released. He was so eager and energetic that his overall attitude compensated for Jude's nonchalance. They were like fire and ice. Jude enjoyed the conversation which lasted the better part of an hour. He expected it to be a one off thing but Ade also sought him out after closing and they ended up talking till Ade's driver came to pick him up and Jude walked home. Jude assumed he was being friendly because he was new and hadn't made many friends yet so he didn't put any energy into the whole arrangement. But as time went on even after making other friends, he called Jude his best friend and a part of Jude warmed up to him. They didn't share many likes or perspectives but they had this innocence of spirit that Jude could tell they shared. Even though Ade was wild and really extroverted, when it came down to it, he couldn't be more dangerous than a lamb.

"Ade, yes Ade is the name of my best friend, he's a really great guy and I've known him for three years"
"Oh that's nice, I have like 5 best friends." What ? cried Jude " How's that possible"
"Well they all claimed I was their best friend and would not accept me picking one over the other, so I just couldn't settle for one of them and hurt the feelings of the others"
At that moment, Jude thought he caught a glimpse of the real girl, maybe she was more similar to him than he'd thought, she'd put the emotions of others over hers. Like him. Other people would have being happy to be so desired. Some people want other people to want them just so they get the pleasure of turning them down. He unconsciously heaved a sigh of relief knowing that she wasn't like that. And the he asked,
"If you had to choose would any of them really be your best friend?" Ivie remained silent for a few seconds and stared out the window with a at away look in her eyes.....

2 Likes

Re: An Introvert's Tale by decent101(m): 7:50pm On Sep 24, 2019
continue!

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by purples25(f): 8:51pm On Sep 24, 2019
I'm so jealous of Jude and Ivy. Perfect couple. I mean they are a total dream couple. Every one's dream.

They seem too perfect to be true. But thats how story characters are anyway.

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Peaceyw(m): 8:53pm On Sep 24, 2019
Update ooo I am loving this story.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Yemike(m): 10:02pm On Sep 24, 2019
Following........

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Ultimategeneral: 5:47pm On Sep 25, 2019
new to the party grin go on

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 7:29pm On Sep 25, 2019
Chapter 12

Sometimes in life, we develop seemingly harmless habits or behave in a certain manner that suits us at the moment. However sometimes, these roles we play come to define us because the longer we play them, the more difficult it is to admit that we are different.
Ivie lived her first few years as an entitled brat. So many people cared about her and fussed over her that it she was practically "overfed" on affection.
When she started kindergarten however, she had an experience that changed her entitled and selfish outlook on life. After the first few weeks of uncertainty, she became comfortable.
On promotion to K.G II, she was transferred from class C to A and didn't know most of her new classmates. Her new sitting partner was a very quiet girl who tried as much as possible to avoid attention.
One day, during art period, they were asked to draw and colour a rainbow. As she put the finishing touches to her painting, she noticed that Lucy hadn't started painting.

"Hey Lucy, why aren't you painting" she asked, Lucy hesitated for a while before answering. "I can't see colours. I don't know how to paint a rainbow". Lucy had taken a leap of faith in talking to the new girl who looked friendly. Her old partner couldn't understand how someone couldn't tell colours from one another.
Ivie was confused said " I don't understand. You can see right?"
Yes I can but mummy says I'm colour blind, I can't tell colours from one another". Ivie did the first thing that came to mind. She laughed and said out loud. "I don't think you're blind, I think you're just stupid, you can see and you say you cannot see colours. You just want me to do your work for you don't you" with that she left her sit to submit her work to the teacher. When she came back she saw Lucy with her head on the desk and drops of what she could only assume to be tears on the floor. Alarmed she ran to the teacher and told her Lucy was crying because she couldn't do her work. The teacher quickly came over to her sit and asked her what the problem was. When the poor girl finally stammered out a reply, the teacher consoled her and apologized for forgetting about her condition. Telling her she was exempt from the work. Watching the whole thing, Ivie began to wonder if she was telling the truth.

"Mummy, is it true some people cannot see colours?" " Yes dear, some people cannot tell colours apart, is that what you were taught today? "
"No mummy, Lucy my classmate says she's colour blind" "Poor girl, I hope you are nice to her. We should be thankful for what God gave us and be nice to those that are not as lucky"

Ivie felt deep shame and guilt for the first time in her life. It cut like a knife and the pain was deep. She couldn't eat and had a hard time falling asleep. She made up her mind to apologise at school the next day.
Unfortunately however, she met Lucy's seat empty and later found out that Lucy's mum asked her to be transferred to another class because her teacher was forgetful and her classmates were mean. It took a long time for her to get over the experience and developed a deep phobia for being insensitive to people. Never wanting to feel the emotional pain she felt over her behaviour to Lucy.
Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 7:30pm On Sep 25, 2019
Dinner is served. smiley
Re: An Introvert's Tale by Wane2: 1:12am On Sep 26, 2019
silas24:
Dinner is served. smiley
Thanks for the update
Re: An Introvert's Tale by Ann2012(f): 7:57am On Sep 26, 2019
silas24:
Dinner is served.
smiley

I enjoyed it smiley
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Hardes(m): 9:20am On Sep 26, 2019
following

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Danboyi88(m): 4:20pm On Sep 26, 2019
Gud work bro
Re: An Introvert's Tale by Ultimategeneral: 6:23pm On Sep 26, 2019
you have got raw talent bro don't expose us too much (introvert) cheesy

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by Danboyi88(m): 8:09pm On Sep 26, 2019
I concord
Ultimategeneral:
Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 9:56pm On Sep 26, 2019
Ultimategeneral:
smiley I'll try not to lol. Meanwhile here's another chapter.
Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 9:56pm On Sep 26, 2019
Chapter 13

And so it came to be that Ivie became a model people pleaser. For the most part, it took nothing from her and endeared her to a lot of people but sometimes she got so emotionally exhausted having to deal with people on such a frequent basis that she yearned for escape once in a while. On such instances she'd go to one of her brothers houses in Abuja especially during long holidays. There she would spend nearly the whole month indoors enjoying the solitude and reading good books. She particularly loved horror novels and thrillers.
This was her favourite time of the year and she enjoyed the freedom she had away from all the drama back home. By the time she returned home, she would be emotionally rejuvenated.
Her last trip had been a memorable one indeed. Her eldest brother had his first child in late may but she couldn't go for an extended visit because of school. So as soon as school vacated she had bid everyone goodbye and disappeared to Abuja. The baby was cute and got her thinking about her future. She was sure she wanted to be a mother some day, if only to return some of the love she had received( and was still getting) as a child.
She really wasn't blind to the fact that she was pretty and that her clique consisted of the hottest girls or to the endless advances she received from boys and even her Civic Education teacher (though she had kept that a secret to save his career) but somehow, she just wasn't q it. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but deep down she cared little for superficial things and thought she would have equally being satisfied to have rather plain physical features. More than a few boys had broken their friendship over a foolish rivalry over who would get her first and the truth was that she felt really insecure being the center of attention all the time. A lot of times she wished she could just put a stop to the charade but she knew it was a little to late for that.
So when her dad announced that he would like to move back to Benin, she couldn't thank God enough for the chance at a fresh start. Her friends offered their houses, family friends did the same, the school advised that she should become a boarder but her mum refused all these suggestions much to her delight. It was fun pretending the situation was out of her hands and that she really wished to be with them but the truth was that she desperately needed a change. So after much tears and promises to facetime everyday and be BFFs forever along with loads of farewell presents, Ivie packed her bags and started a new chapter in her life.

1 Like

Re: An Introvert's Tale by purples25(f): 12:59am On Sep 27, 2019
Ivy's story is really warm and interesting. I like the fact that you looked into some emotional values using her story. Makes sense.
Re: An Introvert's Tale by decent101(m): 6:56am On Sep 27, 2019
thanks 4 d update! bt feed us more, cos we r starvin
Re: An Introvert's Tale by silas24(m): 10:15am On Sep 28, 2019
decent101:
thanks 4 d update! bt feed us more, cos we r starvin

You asked for more, here it comes

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tade Ipadeola Wins 2013 Nigeria Prize For Literature / Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. / The Red Girl (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.