Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (390846 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:31pm On Nov 27, 2017
willjoe:
bro, what up with CC
CC meaning?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by willjoe: 10:42pm On Nov 27, 2017
MackyNaija:
CC meaning?
community college
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:44pm On Nov 27, 2017
willjoe:
community college
I also interpreted it to mean Credit Card.

Success rate for obtaining visa on Community College is low but not impossible. Visit the USA student visa thread for more insight.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by willjoe: 10:56pm On Nov 27, 2017
MackyNaija:

I also interpreted it to mean Credit Card.

Success rate for obtaining visa on Community College is low but not impossible. Visit the USA student visa thread for more insight.
alrt. even on full scholarship?

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tdayof(m): 12:37am On Nov 28, 2017
MackyNaija:

The 'threat to life' with course attendance no be here.
Miss 3 classes and you are due for the next level grade! Meaning, no matter what you score, you can only get a B-grade maximum.

I am coping, the assignments are pouring in like.
I wish this part was different.

How effective is that over there.

My school has a rule which goes thus:

Miss a class with a note written prior = -1 point
Miss a class deliberately = -1.5
Miss a class three times = No test and sometimes no exam (depends on course and lecturer )
Miss a class 5-6 times in a semester = No exam.

Still some guys don't care.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by sonnie10: 12:59am On Nov 28, 2017
MackyNaija:
After Insurance, vehicle inspection will be next and should be less than $20.

Then I'll proceed to renew the registration and transfer car title to my name at the DMV.
Also, I am yet to pay the state tax for the car purchase - it should be 6.25% of the purchase price.

Payments will total around $500 from my calculation.

They tax office is usually at the DMV. Just take your inspection paper, title, and Bill of sale with insurance there. They will collect the tax and charge you for new tile . Then you get a plate number.

You may want to get a toll sticker (ez pass) as you are in Texas. But it's optional

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:52am On Nov 28, 2017
tdayof:

How effective is that over there.

My school has a rule which goes thus:

Miss a class with a note written prior = -1 point
Miss a class deliberately = -1.5
Miss a class three times = No test and sometimes no exam (depends on course and lecturer )
Miss a class 5-6 times in a semester = No exam.

Still some guys don't care.
Then it isn't very serious.
A particular course takes his attendance very serious.

There's a course here that usually has 20-24 people in attendance for lectures, and 49 people during the test!
The woman no send.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:59am On Nov 28, 2017
sonnie10:

They tax office is usually at the DMV. Just take your inspection paper, title, and Bill of sale with insurance there. They will collect the tax and charge you for new tile . Then you get a plate number.

You may want to get a toll sticker (ez pass) as you are in Texas. But it's optional
The car already has a plate. Will that be changed?

Currently working on the insurance, paid already and I should get the Proof of Insurance by tomorrow then do the Inspection.

The only toll I know of is in Houston, there are alternate route though. In all of my waka waka, I haven't had reasons to pass through it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:03am On Nov 28, 2017
willjoe:
alrt. even on full scholarship?
The decision lies with the visa interviewing officer.
If you can convince them that you are genuine, then you stand a chance.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 7:43am On Nov 28, 2017
MackyNaija:

cheesy Private question..

If you are asking to know what the average market value is, you can try craigslist, cargurus na for big men.

I had an 03 Camry XLE in Nigeria.
Bought an 05 Camry SE, a little upgrade. smiley
I am making progress no matter how little.

I still deh find hustle o. sad Even if it's buying and selling.
So your car cost $8,000

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:48pm On Nov 28, 2017
Dremca:
So your car cost $8,000
So much less than that.

I said total additional cost after purchase should be around $500.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by sonnie10: 12:26am On Nov 29, 2017
MackyNaija:

The car already has a plate. Will that be changed?

Currently working on the insurance, paid already and I should get the Proof of Insurance by tomorrow then do the Inspection.

The only toll I know of is in Houston, there are alternate route though. In all of my waka waka, I haven't had reasons to pass through it.

You will get a new plate.

Wish I could avoid toll. When I try using alternative routes, I end up driving about 30 minutes more, one way from work. More gas and mileage.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by rapheeky(m): 7:43am On Nov 29, 2017
I don't understand.... U got it less dan 500$?
MackyNaija:

So much less than that.

I said total additional cost after purchase should be around $500.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 7:54am On Nov 29, 2017
sonnie10:

You will get a new plate.

Wish I could avoid toll. When I try using alternative routes, I end up driving about 30 minutes more, one way from work. More gas and mileage.
Not worth the diversion then.

rapheeky:
I don't understand.... U got it less dan 500$?
Total additional cost is around $500.
Check 'craigslist' for the prevailing market price.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:44pm On Dec 08, 2017
And finally, it snowed in South Texas! kiss smiley
Rarely happens.... This how USAtoday news put it -

South Texas awakes to rare blanket of snow
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Residents in parts of South and Southeast Texas awoke to a rare sighting Friday — snow.
The snow in Corpus Christi began after nightfall, leaving a light blanket of snow. By about 2:30 a.m. CT, snowfall covered streets, rooftops and Christmas displays in city neighborhoods.
Corpus Christi was not the only South Texas city to see snow.

The National Weather Service reports snow from San Antonio into East Texas. National Weather Service meteorologist Brett Williams said up to 2.5 inches of snow had been measured as of 9 p.m. Thursday in the San Antonio area. The most recent comparable snowfall in San Antonio had been in January 1987, when 1.3 inches of snow accumulated, but the most recent major snowfall was 13.2 inches in January 1985.

Up to 3 inches of snow was expected in the Corpus Christi and Kingsville area by Friday morning.

Schools throughout the region primarily delayed the start time, with some private schools in the San Antonio area canceling classes.

Snow was falling in Houston on Friday morning with some of it sticking to the ground — particularly in areas west and north of the city.

In Corpus Christi, streets were covered in a mixture of snow and slush as the large snowflakes fell around 3 a.m. The snow melted quickly on roads, but the moisture could create icy conditions on bridges....

*I, mackynaija got some pictures from last night*

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:50pm On Dec 08, 2017
Some more from last night...

A got a short clip showing excited people (students) all over the streets.. Dancing in the snow at around 1a.m. Too large to be attached here.

It rarely snows around here as you can see in the concluding news review below. smiley

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:53pm On Dec 08, 2017
South Texas awakes to rare blanket of snow 2

This is the first accumulation of snowfall in the city dating back to 2004. It also is the first significant winter storm of the season.

The 2004 storm delivered a white Christmas to Corpus Christi, with 4.4 inches of snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, said Weather Service meteorologist Kevin Wagner.

Near-freezing temperatures and rain mixed with snow are expected to continue through Friday morning, National Weather Service Corpus Christi officials said.

Temperatures in Houston and Corpus Christi are expected to rise into the 40s during the day Friday.

Source- https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/12/08/south-texas-snow/933790001/
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:57pm On Dec 08, 2017
Just up from bed - today is my first final exam, I need to wrap this semester up.

Peeped through my window blinds and saw the little accumulated snow...
Patches of whites on the green grasses...

All trees had their branches fully laced with snow...

Cars were not left out also.

Thank fully, school opens by 8a.m as normal. Grateful the 'winter storm' did not cause a shift in the exam.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:02pm On Dec 08, 2017
Now Playing - Waje ft Yemi Alade : I'm Available. kiss

Peaceful morning it is...
Let's go confirm the 'A' grade! smiley cool

I smile as I remember how far the semester has come and it is slowly coming to a close.

10 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 08, 2017
beautiful

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2017
thebee001:
beautiful
Truly it is a sight to behold with your actual eyes...
The camera lens takes away from the actual.

I smile as I remember how far the semester has come and now it is slowly coming to a close.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:10pm On Dec 08, 2017
The weather is expected to 'get better'.

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 7:32pm On Dec 08, 2017
Just my body left in this country....my mind don Dey US....nice picture

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by orbis(m): 9:56pm On Dec 08, 2017
MackyNaija:

Truly it is a sight to behold with your actual eyes...
The camera lens takes away from the actual.

I smile as I remember how far the semester has come and now it is slowly coming to a close.
Baba, after my first snow experience in the US, i enter house begin pray and thank God for the chance to be here. After 2 days, i begin regret and beg make snow commot because the roads got really slippery on black ice and i almost wrecked my car.
Driving on ice is worse than driving in the rain. Your brake turns to akamu

10 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by chinwe12: 10:03pm On Dec 08, 2017
orbis:

Baba, after my first snow experience in the US, i enter house begin pray and thank God for the chance to be here. After 2 days, i begin regret and beg make snow commot because the roads got really slippery on black ice and i almost wrecked my car.
Driving on ice is worse than driving in the rain. Your brake turns to akamu

Lol can't stop laughing, your brake turns to akamu

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by chinwe12: 10:12pm On Dec 08, 2017
Countdown to my interview, I pray it will be successful, i hope to have my own view of yankee next year

15 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by castrokins(m): 12:45am On Dec 09, 2017
Locked On This Thread Since Yesterday. Big Ups Man, Marky.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by castrokins(m): 12:46am On Dec 09, 2017
Best Wishes

chinwe12:
Countdown to my interview, I pray it will be successful, i hope to have my own view of yankee next year

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by chinwe12: 4:32pm On Dec 09, 2017
castrokins:
Best Wishes

thanks a lot
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tosinooo: 11:45pm On Dec 09, 2017
hello bro, my F1 visa has been approved for master's in chemical engineering at Tamuk. Can I pm you to ask some questions
MackyNaija:
So IF rent is $150 + utilities $80 + food $80

You have easily crossed $250. This is an average cost here for managing.

Any errors or questions, you can point it out.

If you do 6people in a 3bedroom, the cost drops further but still hovers around $200 monthly for the most essential things.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:05am On Dec 10, 2017
Yhemzylee:
Just my body left in this country....my mind don Dey US....nice picture
cheesy Thanks.

tosinooo:
hello bro, my F1 visa has been approved for master's in chemical engineering at Tamuk. Can I pm you to ask some questions
No wahala.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.