Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (91) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (390837 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by KingBade(m): 8:22am On Sep 07, 2021
Congrats MackyNaija, been a silent follower of this thread. Please I would like to seek your opinion on this, I have a degree in Mechanical engineering and an MSc in Industrial Engineering here in naija, I'm looking to apply for a PhD in renewable or sustainable energy in the US. Do you think this study area is good considering the US market and opportunities. Thank you
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Waffarianman(m): 1:30pm On Sep 07, 2021
Nice 1 bro I tap from your Blesin. 1. Day I will get dey

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Floda: 10:01pm On Sep 07, 2021
Finally!!!!.
Just got done reading from page 1 up until now.

After reading the first 2 pages I jumped to the last page to see how it's going only to see that you were planning to move your wife, daughter and mother in law to Texas ( I thought you were moving them from Nigeria ). I wanted to know how you were able to achieve all these within 4 years, so I went back to page 1 and read everything up until now.
I'm really amazed for real.

I have also made up my mind to go for I.E in my masters but in either Australia or Canada ( they seem to have a more straightforward immigration pathway )

MackyNaija, please I have some questions. I notice you said you had to give up trading stocks and your beloved crypto. (1) Just wondering why you gave up trading?

2. While studying were you still able to trade?

3. If yes to question 2, how were you able to combine trading and studies.

4. Do you know people in Engineering career path that also trade part time and how are they coping with both.

5. How possible is it for an international student to sustain his/herself with profit gotten via trading the financial markets.

I'm really anticipating your reply Sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yhasf: 7:40am On Sep 08, 2021
Good day guys ,

Kindly recommend a good school with Master's in Industrial Engineering program for fall 2022,below is my profile ;

Bsc: Chemical engineering (2014)
WES:3.39/4
GRE:319
TOEFL:To be written next month
Experience:+6 years experience
Intended schools:South Dakota school of Mines and Engineering,Texas A&M-Kingsville &South Illinois University.

Thank you .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Mczigx(m): 5:46am On Sep 10, 2021
MackyNaija:

Thank you all.

All hope is not lost, your major plan will be how to get a visa; getting admission is quite straightforward.

After getting a visa, you can switch courses within your school or transfer to a new school or get admitted into a new school/new program...

Look for courses in Analytics, Logistics, Supply Chain management... You might be admitted directly for these and they are closer to the sciences.
Na there my knowledge reach, you might discover something new.

My wife says "you can be whatever you wanna be"; my guy with UK masters in Engineering don start Medicine (now a citizen though).

There are courses we have never heard of that will easily admit you as a social scientists either from Nigeria or once you arrive - become a Mungo Park, go and discover them. wink

Wow!

Thank you very much Boss, I'll put this to work.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:47pm On Sep 13, 2021
KingBade:
Congrats MackyNaija, been a silent follower of this thread. Please I would like to seek your opinion on this, I have a degree in Mechanical engineering and an MSc in Industrial Engineering here in naija, I'm looking to apply for a PhD in renewable or sustainable energy in the US. Do you think this study area is good considering the US market and opportunities. Thank you
Hi KingBade, this is not a direct answer to your question as I have limited knowledge about Phd programmes and/or sustainable energy.

* Go search for ch33ky scientists, he addresses everything about PhDs.

* There are numerous under the radar fields people don't talk about:
Renewables/Sustainable engineer - majorly batteries.
Thermal engineer - as it affects power consumption + cooling
Hardware engineer.

My advice would be to go on a US jobsite, find some job title you feel are applicable and reverse engineer them.
See what they want and see how you can achieve those skills.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:50pm On Sep 13, 2021
Yhasf:
Good day guys ,

Kindly recommend a good school with Master's in Industrial Engineering program for fall 2022,below is my profile ;

Bsc: Chemical engineering (2014)
WES:3.39/4
GRE:319
TOEFL:To be written next month
Experience:+6 years experience
Intended schools:South Dakota school of Mines and Engineering,Texas A&M-Kingsville &South Illinois University.

Thank you .
Each individual is in the best position to decide on what schools work best for them.
Consider : tuition/scholarships, school prestige, location, prospects post graduation etc etc.

By the way, your GRE score is tantalizing. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:52pm On Sep 13, 2021
Floda, your questions plenty like jamb grin

I go come read am later when I don chop belleful.
Still unpacking from the move to TX.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:11pm On Sep 13, 2021

please I have some questions. I notice you said you had to give up trading stocks and your beloved crypto. (1) Just wondering why you gave up trading?

2. While studying were you still able to trade?

3. If yes to question 2, how were you able to combine trading and studies.

4. Do you know people in Engineering career path that also trade part time and how are they coping with both.

5. How possible is it for an international student to sustain his/herself with profit gotten via trading the financial markets.

I'm really anticipating your reply Sir.
As a student, you are forbidden to work or engage in any business not sanctioned by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (oisss).
Every school has this department and they have direct authority to declare you out of status.

Those trading were done post graduation as a permanent resident.
I stopped the "gambling" so I could concentrate on building my career which was a "sure" path. As we can see, it has paid off very well.

I still buy crypto monthly, it easily allows me send money to Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:15pm On Sep 13, 2021
I am working on escaping the $5,200 charge for ending our lease in California.

There must be several options I have thought to myself...
So I set out to discover new things.

Will send an update on lessons learned whether or not it works.

I don officially escape California finally. cool

16 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by KingBade(m): 7:16pm On Sep 13, 2021
Thanks for the response, much appreciated
MackyNaija:

Hi KingBade, this is not a direct answer to your question as I have limited knowledge about Phd programmes and/or sustainable energy.

* Go search for ch33ky scientists, he addresses everything about PhDs.

* There are numerous under the radar fields people don't talk about:
Renewables/Sustainable engineer - majorly batteries.
Thermal engineer - as it affects power consumption + cooling
Hardware engineer.

My advice would be to go on a US jobsite, find some job title you feel are applicable and reverse engineer them.
See what they want and see how you can achieve those skills.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 2:35am On Sep 14, 2021
What happensif you don't pay it, will it affect your FICO score. How efficient is using electric car (not necessarily hybrid or plug-in hybrid) in terms of durability and cost of charging the battery because you did complained of high cost of fuel in california.
MackyNaija:
I am working on escaping the $5,200 charge for ending our lease in California.

There must be several options I have thought to myself...
So I set out to discover new things.

Will send an update on lessons learned whether or not it works.

I don officially escape California finally. cool
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Floda: 1:58pm On Sep 14, 2021
MackyNaija:

As a student, you are forbidden to work or engage in any business not sanctioned by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (oisss).
Every school has this department and they have direct authority to declare you out of status.

Those trading were done post graduation as a permanent resident.
I stopped the "gambling" so I could concentrate on building my career which was a "sure" path. As we can see, it has paid off very well.

I still buy crypto monthly, it easily asked me send money to Nigeria.

Gambling cheesy

I totally understand tho. The Sure path did pay off.

Thanks for the response sir.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by richmond500: 4:24pm On Sep 14, 2021
MackyNaija:
Day 7

Wish I could just stay at home but...

I have to leave, next week is fast approaching.

Today is set for the road trip, join me as we go on this exciting journey. smiley
Baba u too much, I went through this ur posts.

I want to ask, what's the average cost of living over there? I am not coming as a student though
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:18pm On Sep 15, 2021
Dremca:
What happensif you don't pay it, will it affect your FICO score. How efficient is using electric car (not necessarily hybrid or plug-in hybrid) in terms of durability and cost of charging the battery because you did complained of high cost of fuel in california.
I believe they'll send it to 'collections' and it will appear on your credit report even if you still pay it.
Another option is to sue you or do small claims court.

I don't do electric cars simply because I am too busy to go sit somewhere to charge it.
It is a beautiful technology and T3sla has successfully forced other car manufacturers to get into EV production.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:20pm On Sep 15, 2021
richmond500:
Baba u too much, I went through this ur posts.

I want to ask, what's the average cost of living over there? I am not coming as a student though
Living where?
Port Harcourt, Kingsville, Bay Area or Austin metro?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Guontey(m): 11:54pm On Sep 15, 2021
Hello guys,

I got an interview invite from a FAANG for a data scientist position. How does one even prepare for such an interview? Do they ask leetcode questions? I'm not a coder; I'm a statistician.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by richmond500: 2:36am On Sep 16, 2021
MackyNaija:

Living where?
Port Harcourt, Kingsville, Bay Area or Austin metro?
I mean what's the average monthly expenses of living in the US
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:46pm On Sep 16, 2021
Guontey:
Hello guys,

I got an interview invite from a FAANG for a data scientist position. How does one even prepare for such an interview? Do they ask leetcode questions? I'm not a coder; I'm a statistician.
Check on Glassd00r for interview structure for the company.

There the most comprehensive I have seen.
Edit : They have the most comprehensive... [All this lose guided typing of mine angry ]

Also, join Bl1nd and see what you can find from running a search.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:54pm On Sep 16, 2021
richmond500:
I mean what's the average monthly expenses of living in the US
It depends heavily on salary, location and lifestyle.

See examples:
Engineer 1 vs Engr 3 salary: $65k vs $85k

Bay Area, Ca vs Austin, Tx: Normal 2-bed Rent $2800 vs Luxury 3-bed rent $2200

Lifestyle: Everything still depends on how much you are willing to spend and on what.
Some people prefer to save and use $50k for a wedding, I will personally not try that.

I just convinced my friend to sell his circa 2016 Highlander for $22k and add the money to his house closing payments.
Was contemplating selling my 2018 Camry for $19k and using the money for a house - very likely will NOT do that as my bi-weekly take home will be higher now.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:00pm On Sep 16, 2021
Richmond, still on your question...

If we do a normal 2-bedroom and drive my paid off jallopy 08 Rx, we fit spend way less than $2000 monthly on living cost...

Current standard is over $3000 monthly.

So, say approximately $1800 vs $3200 in both instances for Austin, Tx.
Our living cost will only go higher grin as we have plans to chop life! cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:09pm On Sep 16, 2021
Taken a few minutes ago at 8am Tx time...

Calm and bright morning... cool The sun only goes hotter from here. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Olumighty123(m): 4:12pm On Sep 16, 2021
MackyNaija:

I'm trying to figure out which of those ride is yours, I guess the GMC grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Guontey(m): 4:47pm On Sep 16, 2021
MackyNaija:

Also, join Bl1nd and see what you can find from running a search.
Thanks. What's "Bl1nd"?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:51pm On Sep 16, 2021
Guontey:

Thanks. What's "Bl1nd"?
Go to your App store
blind - anonymous professional network

'Reddit or Nairaland for workers'.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:52pm On Sep 16, 2021

I'm trying to figure out which of those ride is yours, I guess the GMC grin
Toyota or Lexus, I don't spend my money on crap.
Truck na waste of space and gas.

Parked towards the left, then a left turn.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Olumighty123(m): 4:54pm On Sep 16, 2021
MackyNaija:

Toyota or Lexus, I don't spend my money on crap.
Truck na waste of space and gas.

Parked towards the left, then a left turn.

Fact, Trucks with their gigantic fuel tank, 2k fuel go be like say you just dey whine am grin

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Guontey(m): 10:42pm On Sep 16, 2021
MackyNaija:

Go to your App store
blind - anonymous professional network

'Reddit or Nairaland for workers'.
Thanks!
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by crowniran(m): 9:08am On Sep 18, 2021
MackyNaija:

Good day sir. I have been trying to reach you. I hope family and work is fine. I am considering my MS in Industrial Engineering and TAMUK is one of the schools I have messaged. Please, how does the scholarship thing work. What percentage of tuition fees does it cover. Thanks.

Below is my profile
3.33/4(Wes unofficial)
312(Q-163, V-149)
Toefl..will be written this month
Bsc in Civil engineering

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:42pm On Sep 20, 2021
crowniran:

Good day sir. I have been trying to reach you. I hope family and work is fine. I am considering my MS in Industrial Engineering and TAMUK is one of the schools I have messaged. Please, how does the scholarship thing work. What percentage of tuition fees does it cover. Thanks.

Below is my profile
3.33/4(Wes unofficial)
312(Q-163, V-149)
Toefl..will be written this month
Bsc in Civil engineering

Your gre score is very high, I believe their requirement is around 298 (could be less).

How it works: Graduate school awards scholarships based on availability. $1,000 scholarship split half into two semesters making you eligible for roughly 50% of the tuition for both semesters.

I explained it somewhere on this thread in 2017, search for it as any new explanation might be inaccurate.

Aside this, your department might have a GA, TA, or RA thingy going on. They recently started bachelor's in IEEN so there's availability of assistantship.

In summary,
1. graduate school offers scholarship with admission - no special application required.
Sometimes, harassing them gets you this money.
Most times, applying EARLY with a competitive profile is the surest way.

And

2. Department offers assistantship on arrival. Sime schools can give you this before arrival.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:46pm On Sep 20, 2021
Remember that these info stated above might have changed... Just like the requirement for going on IT was updated circa 2019.

Only serves as a guide.

I am technically 'always' available here till the lord says otherwise cheesy
I prefer to answer questions here so others can learn from the ramblings. wink Thanks for understanding.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.