Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,099 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (390044 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:29pm On Aug 31, 2021
I am currently in the process of moving myself, wife, daughter and mother in-law to Texas...

Budget for the move is approximately $20,000. Expensive like crazy! shocked
My guy say na house down payment amount be that. cheesy

MAJOR expected Cost Breakdown:
End lease - $5,200
Prorated rent - $1,300
Ship property - $6,000
Ship two cars - $2,500
Rent new place - $2,500
Flight tickets - $1,000

Still have car rentals, hotel stays, feeding and numerous miscellaneous expenses. cry

That's the price I have to pay for financial freedom.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 5:19pm On Aug 31, 2021
MackyNaija:
I am currently in the process of moving myself, wife, daughter and mother in-law to Texas...

Budget for the move is approximately $20,000. Expensive like crazy! shocked
My guy say na house down payment amount be that. cheesy

MAJOR expected Cost Breakdown:
End lease - $5,200
Prorated rent - $1,300
Ship property - $6,000
Ship two cars - $2,500
Rent new place - $2,500
Flight tickets - $1,000

Still have car rentals, hotel stays, feeding and numerous miscellaneous expenses. cry

That's the price I have to pay for financial freedom.
That one na over 10 million for Naija ooo shocked shocked shocked.. Macky you have a daughter now.. Congrats Bro... So your wife will also have to find a new job too which is also less income for the family sad : This Texas journey expensive really ooo cheesy cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Thayoreey: 7:58pm On Aug 31, 2021
MackyNaija:

Thank you.

i. Do not go too streamlined, study general Electronics as the course, you can specialize in whatever you want (as a minor/an option). Resume should show MSc Electronics or Electrical.

ii. Do not do a direct Msc Automation. Your priorities might change later depending on what you meet on ground.
Are there jobs in that axis? Are companies willing to file for you in that line?

Stay flexible, Stay fungible and Stay nimble but do not be a Jack of all.
Is this advice not conflicting?? Me sef follow confuse! grin

You might even end up as a Software Engineer... Shey na for this Yankee naim the hustle deh? cheesy

Wish you Success, never give up! Keep your soul yearning for greatness!
Now playing : Emin3m - Higher cool
Thanks for the reply boss, what do you think about robotics, because i think it has a broader scope
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:26pm On Aug 31, 2021
Thayoreey:

Thanks for the reply boss, what do you think about robotics, because i think it has a broader scope
For field of work, yes but...

Msc Electrical, you don't want to be in a tight corner trust me.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:30pm On Aug 31, 2021
Paccus:
That one na over 10 million for Naija ooo shocked shocked shocked.. Macky you have a daughter now.. Congrats Bro... So your wife will also have to find a new job too which is also less income for the family sad : This Texas journey expensive really ooo cheesy cheesy grin
Yes na, fine girl wey sharp like me kiss

We get plenty sense o..

She already got a new job with a higher title and 23% raise, and mine is a 28% raise with a higher title.

We don blow! grin My wife say everything for Texas go be like say e deh on sale as per California wan strangle us.

11 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:40pm On Aug 31, 2021
Completed a Tesla first stage interview 10 minutes ago for Senior Quality Engr...

Any interview I do at this stage, I MUST get an offer. E too sure for me as I have put in the work to have all my angles covered.

There's nothing they'll ask that I haven't covered by working in 3 companies, 3 ASQ certifications or in my MSc.

My "intensive background" check that lasted almost two weeks for the Principal Engr role just cleared today.
I am good to go!!! I received the email : Your background check has been completed, "Welcome to Fortune <50" cool

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Olumighty123(m): 9:09pm On Aug 31, 2021
MackyNaija:
Completed a Tesla first stage interview 10 minutes ago for Senior Quality Engr...

Any interview I do at this stage, I MUST get an offer. E too sure for me as I have put in the work to have all my angles covered.

There's nothing they'll ask that I haven't covered by working in 3 companies, 3 ASQ certifications or in my MSc.

My "intensive background" check that lasted almost two weeks for the Principal Engr role just cleared today.
I am good to go!!! I received the email : Your background check has been completed, "Welcome to Fortune <50" cool

Good one baba, go for gold cool

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 12:00pm On Sep 01, 2021
MackyNaija:

Yes na, fine girl wey sharp like me kiss

We get plenty sense o..

She already got a new job with a higher title and 23% raise, and mine is a 28% raise with a higher title.

We don blow! grin My wife say everything for Texas go be like say e deh on sale as per California wan strangle us.
Ah.. people dey reduce their salary to comot California una dey increase una own shocked shocked... Macky, God dey answer your mother prayers well ooo grin grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Thayoreey: 4:37pm On Sep 01, 2021
MackyNaija:

For field of work, yes but...

Msc Electrical, you don't want to be in a tight corner trust me.
Thanks so much...i really appreciate this
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:48am On Sep 02, 2021

Ah.. people dey reduce their salary to comot California una dey increase una own shocked shocked... Macky, God dey answer your mother prayers well ooo grin grin
You are very right! The plan was to chase the same salary I was earning in California or slightly less but it happened way better than anticipated.
Truthfully, I got "lucky"!
***WHERE luck = "opportunity" + "preparedness"

Gist deh:
First stage: HR Questionnaire with over 10 questions on why I am looking for a new job and how my experience fits into each of the job requirements. (very easy, no pressure)

Second stage: Hiring Manager
Asked behavioural and general questions + one rugged brain teaser about light bulb and switches (my head wan catch fire) grin She gave me a hint and I answered the question. (relaxed $ easy)

Third and Fourth stage - Technical, Wednesday and Thursday: Senior QE (about 8 yrs experience) and Principal QE (about 25 yrs experience).
The 4th stage was more relaxed! Person wey go give you job no go stress you! (normal difficulty for both). I knew that if I passed this stage, I'd get the job.

Up till this point, I was interviewing for the Senior QE role.
The decision to assign you to the Senior or Principal role would depend on your ability - Na then I sense say hot pepper deh wait for me for front. cry

Fifth/Final stage: Senior Quality Manager and Director of Quality...
I was called on Friday morning around 10 am by the manager to see if I could fix the last video interview for the same day...

***I had previously learned on Nairaland that when an Amer1can asks you "Can you get this report ready before close of work?" (No be question them deh ask you), it actually means "I need this report ready BY the close of work".***

...the Director wanted to go on leave and he'd like to conclude the interview if I was available and the Hiring manager said "you cannot prepare for an interview like this so moving it to prep will not help you, its either you know it or you don't".... Na so our two burst laugh! cheesy

The interview: Case Study (very high pressure)
The package holding the question and spreadsheet was sent 10 minutes before the interview (Nothing like take-home presentation). Here, nobody can save you, if you no know am, you no know am and you die well. embarassed

It was an excel sheet of data that had to be analyzed: Chai! My bread and butter! Same shi I have been doing almost every day and at a minimum thrice weekly for the last 24 months!!!!!

**I started.. shared my screen and had to say my thoughts aloud so they could access my problem-solving/data analysis skills... Na this kind thing I deh like, interview to separate wheat from chaff. Test of true ability. cool

In 30 minutes I was done with the analysis and summarized my findings which I sent as a mock email to a VP.

Kai! I struggled to hold back tears of joy on the video call as I knew I had blasted it! smiley kiss

The Director said Excellent! They had used this same data for multiple people and no one had ever analyzed it like this.
Oboy! Cold catch me... That was when I realised the position of Principal Engineer was looking possible.
Principal level is a role that requires 8 to 12 years of pure QE experience but I had dismantled it at roughly 7 total years of experience, - less than 3 as a QE!!!

When I hear the salary on Monday morning as HR call... my brain jam! grin grin grin Wayyyy over $100k. If you know how much G-wagon be, na around that amount be the salary or solve the math below.
If G-wagon = $x , 'Hammer' Factor, Y = 0.95 to 1.15 and Macky's salary, Z = $x * Y
Find Z grin [abeg forgive my nonsense equation, na over happiness cause am] grin
I don hammer for this country! shocked An amount I never thought I could earn as an annual rate in my entire career as an Engineer here.
Words cannot express the joy!

The future is bright. We are overjoyed! smiley Paccus, manage this pishure! cheesy
Cali Gas price na $4.69, Texas Gas price na $2.49.... Everything go deh on sale for Texas!!! grin

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Digbick: 12:00pm On Sep 02, 2021
MackyNaija:

You are very right! The plan was to chase the same salary I was earning in California or slightly less but it happened way better than anticipated.

Gist deh:
First stage: HR Questionnaire with over 10 questions on why I am looking for a new job and how my experience fits into each of the job requirements. (very easy, no pressure)

Asked behavioural and general questions + one rugged brain teaser about light bulb and switches (my head wan catch fire) grin She gave me a hint and I answered the question. (relaxed $ easy)

Third and Fourth stage - Technical, Wednesday and Thursday: Senior QE (about 8 yrs experience) and Principal QE (about 25 yrs experience).
The 4th stage was more relaxed! Person wey go give you job no go stress you! (normal difficulty for both). I knew that if I passed this stage, I'd get the job.

The decision to assign you to the Senior or Principal role would depend on your ability - Na then I sense say hot pepper deh wait for me for front. cry

I was called on Friday morning around 10 am by the manager to see if I could fix the last video interview for the same day...

***I had previously learned on Nairaland that when an Amer1can asks you "Can you get this report ready before close of work?" (No be question them deh ask you), it actually means "I need this report ready BY the close of work".***

...the Director wanted to go on leave and he'd like to conclude the interview if I was available and the Hiring manager said "you cannot prepare for an interview like this so moving it to prep will not help you, its either you know it or you don't".... Na so our two burst laugh! cheesy

The package holding the question and spreadsheet was sent 10 minutes before the interview (Nothing like take-home presentation). Here, nobody can save you, if you no know am, you no know am and you die well. embarassed

It was an excel sheet of data that had to be analyzed: Chai! My bread and butter! Same shi I have been doing almost every day and at a minimum thrice weekly for the last 24 months!!!!!

**I started.. shared my screen and had to say my thoughts aloud so they could access my problem-solving/data analysis skills... Na this kind thing I deh like, interview to separate wheat from chaff. Test of true ability. cool

In 30 minutes I was done with the analysis and summarized my findings which I sent as a mock email to a VP.

Kai! I struggled to hold back tears of joy on the video call as I knew I had blasted it! smiley kiss

The Director said Excellent! They had used this same data for multiple people and no one had ever analyzed it like this.
Oboy! Cold catch me... That was when I realised the position of Principal Engineer was looking possible.
Principal level is a role that requires 8 to 12 years of pure QE experience but I had dismantled it at roughly 7 total years of experience, - less than 3 as a QE!!!

When I hear the salary on Monday morning as HR call... my brain jam! grin grin grin Wayyyy over $100k. If you know how much G-wagon be, na around that amount be the salary or solve the math below.
If G-wagon = $x , 'Hammer' Factor, Y = 0.95 to 1.15 and Macky's salary, Z = $x * Y
Find Z grin [abeg forgive my nonsense equation, na over happiness cause am] grin
I don hammer for this country! shocked An amount I never thought I could earn as an annual rate in my entire career as an Engineer here.

The future is bright. We are overjoyed! smiley Paccus, manage this pishure! cheesy
Cali Gas price na $4.69, Texas Gas price na $2.49.... Everything go deh on sale for Texas!!! grin

Weldone bruh, you are really motivating us here, May God bless you more and we looking forward to a journey like yours, God will answer our silent and loud prayers.

6 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 7:03pm On Sep 02, 2021
Congratulations! Yankee is not about who you know in top positions but what you know. Truly is a land of opportunities. How about the T€sla position you applied.
MackyNaija:

Gist deh:

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by KiNg0G: 5:44pm On Sep 03, 2021
MackyNaija:
Completed my online course registration, remaining holds on my account were lifted and I saw financial part of the whole matter.
I am required to pay ~$7,200 assuming I didn't get any tuition waiver.

Graduate school says they are still compiling the names of people awarded free money, a little more time and an adjustment will reflect on my account.

The fees should be around $3,000.

I just got my student I.D now from the Student Union Building today...

*Rough picture of the school library below.

tell us about racism.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:28am On Sep 04, 2021

tell us about racism.
The country and it's people are soooo racist...

- they offered me admission to 5 top schools in 2016, 2 or 3 were with scholarships
- they granted me a visa and entry in 2017
- they offered me loans to chase my dream in 2018
- they awarded me a graduate degree in 2019
- they offered me conditional residency in 2019
- they offered me a Senior Engineer role in 2020
- they offered me jobs and progressively gave me career growth till date in 2021

The ones wey I never mention: my mama see visa come my graduation, Rx350 big man motor for Nigeria, a beautiful daughter, a sweet wife, 2018 Camry, permanent residency...
Next year, planning to buy a house for about $400k ...

I no achieve 1/1000th of wetin this racist country give me under 4 years when I deh the country of my birth. smiley

I'd rather take this racism than the tribalism, favouritism and nepotism in Nigeria. Thank you.

83 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 12:34am On Sep 04, 2021
Weldone bruh, you are really motivating us here, May God bless you more and we looking forward to a journey like yours, God will answer our silent and loud prayers.

Congratulations! Yankee is not about who you know in top positions but what you know. Truly is a land of opportunities. How about the T€sla position you applied.
The thread is serving it's purpose...
To keep us all motivated and to push us to "Surprise Ourselves".

To do what has never been done before and shoot us beyond limits we thought were possible.

Thanks Sir. smiley. Abeg, try leave naija if you still deh there. The polithiefcians have killed the country.

For Tesla, yet to get the invite for the next stage. Still waiting but e no fit hard pass any interview wey I don do so far.

Now playing: R1ck R0ss - Push It. cool

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Drenimarcus(m): 1:15am On Sep 04, 2021
MackyNaija:

- they offered me admission to 5 top schools in 2016, 2 or 3 were with scholarships
- they offered me jobs and progressively gave me career growth till date in 2021

The ones wey I never mention: my mama see visa come my graduation, Rx350 big man motor for Nigeria, a beautiful daughter, a sweet wife, 2018 Camry, permanent residency...

I no achieve 1/1000th of wetin this racist country give me under 4 years when I deh the country of my birth. smiley

I'd rather take this racism than the tribalism, favouritism and nepotism in Nigeria. Thank you.
See as you give am randy Orton RKO grin bad guy.

10 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Paccus: 9:15am On Sep 04, 2021
MackyNaija:

See as I Dey smile like babe wey Ph boy dey razzle...you be my biggest motivation since 2017... Congrats on all your achievements and growth.. God go help me too japa for this country
Listening to Victor AD - Motivation

6 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Elnon: 10:01am On Sep 04, 2021
This is so beautiful to read...SO HAPPY FOR YOU...All your hardwork is paying off and God is doing it.

Followed your advice and got an admission and scholarship to study Masters in Information system ( Data Analytics concentration) at East Tennessee state university come spring 2022.

Your story is so inspiring...God bless you and your family more.

Yankee here I come in January! grin
MackyNaija:

Gist deh:

3 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by shagamite: 10:45am On Sep 04, 2021
MackyNaija:

eeeeeww OMG, i love this. To achieve this in 4 years in 9ja is like a pipe dream haaa again Dollar don pass 500 like dz. Naija which way
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Richdee1(m): 11:53am On Sep 04, 2021
Elnon:
This is so beautiful to read...SO HAPPY FOR YOU...All your hardwork is paying off and God is doing it.

Followed your advice and got an admission and scholarship to study Masters in Information system ( Data Analytics concentration) at East Tennessee state university come spring 2022.

How you take apply for this scholarship of a thing sef?
Is it fully Funded scholarship?
Looking for how to apply for Masters or PGD in Social work

MackyNaija any link to check out for ma field or Study?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:59pm On Sep 04, 2021

See as you give am randy Orton RKO grin bad guy.
No be say I no get difficulties or problems no deh Yankee o but as it's widely known, problem/issues different from inconvenience.

Inconvenience na when means deh to solve any problem wey person get.

The only color I see is GREEN. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:03pm On Sep 04, 2021

See as I Dey smile like babe wey Ph boy dey razzle...you be my biggest motivation since 2017... Congrats on all your achievements and growth.. God go help me too japa for this country
Listening to Victor AD - Motivation
Thanks Sir.

The greatest battle is psychological. If you win it, every other battle is won.

Keep dreaming..
Keep believing..
Choose a reason not to give up and "Surprise Yourself". smiley

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:09pm On Sep 04, 2021
Richdee1:

Where I have some knowledge is in the Engineering field, there's a USA student visa thread on NL.

Go there and see how people go about searching for admission, scholarships and visa.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 3:10pm On Sep 04, 2021
shagamite:

eeeeeww OMG, i love this. To achieve this in 4 years in 9ja is like a pipe dream haaa again Dollar don pass 500 like dz. Naija which way
Na Yankee we deh..
The Land of Opportunities! cool

You are on the right path to success!

That's a very good course! Try all humanly possible not to fall out of status and you'll be fine. cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by solidmyk(m): 4:00pm On Sep 04, 2021
MackyNaija:

grin grin I dey feel you big time

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Fortunate25(m): 8:35pm On Sep 04, 2021
MackyNaija:

Gist deh:

Congratulations Mackynaija. You're truly a legend.

If you go oyibo land go dull yourself, you'll forever regret it.

I salute your Intelligence and smartness Sir.

Hoping to go into knowing more about how data analysis works.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by RENOWNED2(m): 9:43pm On Sep 04, 2021
Na either Boeing, Ford, general electric or general motors...

Congratulations macky!!

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Mczigx(m): 12:49pm On Sep 05, 2021
Congratulations Boss on your new role and everything you've achieved, you're indeed a motivation.

Any advice for some of us in the Social sciences, e just come be like say we wey no study science go waste our time for school.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 2:03pm On Sep 05, 2021
Congratulations Boss on your new role and everything you've achieved, you're indeed a motivation.

Any advice for some of us in the Social sciences, e just come be like say we wey no study science go waste our time for school.
Thank you all.

All hope is not lost, your major plan will be how to get a visa; getting admission is quite straightforward.

After getting a visa, you can switch courses within your school or transfer to a new school or get admitted into a new school/new program...

Look for courses in Analytics, Logistics, Supply Chain management... You might be admitted directly for these and they are closer to the sciences.
Na there my knowledge reach, you might discover something new.

My wife says "you can be whatever you wanna be"; my guy with UK masters in Engineering don start Medicine (now a citizen though).

There are courses we have never heard of that will easily admit you as a social scientists either from Nigeria or once you arrive - become a Mungo Park, go and discover them. wink

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Limassol(m): 3:05pm On Sep 05, 2021
I just read two pages of this thread and i'm marvelled. Am genuinely happy for your successes, and hope you soar higher.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Elnon: 9:05pm On Sep 06, 2021
Yes...Applied through the school.
Richdee1:

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.