Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,432 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

How Deloitte Global CEO Was First Rejected - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Deloitte Global CEO Was First Rejected (709 Views)

Lady Confronts An Able-Bodied Beggar Who Rejected Her N35k Job Offer In Ajah / Adekunle Ajayi: Man Rejected Offers In Shell & Chevron To Live & Work In Ekiti / Meet Job Hunter Who Got 30 Interviews But Was Rejected Because Of His Neck Tatto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Deloitte Global CEO Was First Rejected by Longman6(m): 9:55pm On Jul 16, 2017
When one door closes

Today is the anniversary that almost wasn’t for me.

On July 11, 1987, I began my career at Deloitte. After receiving my masters, I was eager to put my skills to work in the “real world” and even more eager to get some money in my pocket (what new grad isn’t?). So, I cast a wide net, sending my resume to several companies, and waited for the offers to roll in (what I lacked in experience, I made up for in youthful confidence).

Ironically, it was Deloitte that would test that confidence right out of the gate. The letter to the right from Deloitte Haskins & Sells is among the first I received in response to my outreach – a rather unceremonious “thanks but no thanks.” Not exactly the response I was hoping for. But, I was lucky in that I didn’t have too much time to go down the rabbit hole of self-doubt. Only a few weeks after being rejected by Haskins & Sells, a couple of offers came my way, including one from Touche Ross (which ultimately merged with Haskins & Sells to become Deloitte!). I gratefully accepted their offer to be an associate consultant in their Consulting Practice. But, with 30 wonderful years [and counting!] at Deloitte, the lesson of that rejection is not lost on me – probably why I saved the letter.

The road to success is rarely a smooth ride. Rejections and failures come with the territory. They certainly have in my case. Perspective comes slowly on that, but it does come.

At the time, receiving that letter from Haskins & Sells was deflating. In retrospect, I think the initial ego bruise served me well. It gave me the perspective I needed to begin my career at Deloitte with just the right balance of confidence and humility – which I firmly believe is the winning mindset in any career situation.

And ultimately, it was a reminder that when one door closes, another one invariably opens. In my case, it just turned out to be the same door.

Re: How Deloitte Global CEO Was First Rejected by corpershun: 12:14am On Jul 17, 2017
Wow... This is inspiring. Anyway Failure isn't meant to deter us but to show our strength and how quick we can rise.
Quitting is never an option.
Re: How Deloitte Global CEO Was First Rejected by obajoey(m): 11:56am On Jul 17, 2017
Great.

(1) (Reply)

Stanbicibtc Survey Online Test / Dovegreen Global Services / Sundry Markets Limited Recruitment - How To Apply For Sundry Markets Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.