Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi (15281 Views)

6 Exceptional Nigerians Who Work At Apple / 5 Helpful Ways To Avoid Online Identity Theft / 7 Things Nigerians Who Use A Telecom Service Provider Can Totally Relate With (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by JARUSHUB: 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2017
Gone are the days when most Nigerians relied on cables for internet access. With the introduction of Wifi, internet access is seemingly easier, faster and much more convenient. Although the almighty Wifi is one of the most useful and important aspects of using a computer, it can also be frustrating as sometimes the Wifi network can be sluggish, defective, and insecure. If you are plagued with bad reception, slow speeds, and other issues, Jumia Travel, Africa’s No. 1 online hotel booking portal presents 5 ways you can power up the Wi-Fi and improve your network speeds.

Find the Optimal spot

Wifi is channeled via a router, and while these routers might not always blend into your interior décor, it is important that you place them in the optimal position to get the best signal. You need to place them out in the open, free of any walls or obstructions. A central position high off the floor is the best option to get the optimal coverage possible in your home or office. Also note that Wifi signals do not work well with water, metal, or glass as all these materials can impede the signal.

Adjust the antennas

Most routers come with small antennas with Omni-directional capabilities situated at the back. These antennas broadcast signals in all directions which can be useful if you need connection throughout your house, but the range is quite short Ensure the antennas are well screwed in and pointed vertically. If your router has directional/adjustable antennas, changing their angle can redirect the signal and cover dead spots. If you have the new 802.11ac router, you probably won’t need this. The 802.11ac router uses a technique calledbeamforming to focus the signal toward devices on the edge of your network.

Reboot your Router

If you have run some tests and are certain the problem with the network slack is not as result of heat, old firmware or excessive downloads, you should try to reboot the router. This simply implies putting it off, then putting it back on again after some minutes. To avoid having to reboot your router every so often, you can set just set it to reboot automatically once a day or so. You can do this with DD-WRT or just a regular old outlet timer.

Control Interference from Other Appliances

Most time, the network from a router can be affected by networks from other routers. This, however, is not the only thing that can cause interference. Other electronic devices such as TVs, mobile phones that generate electromagnetic signals can muck up your signal as well. It is, therefore, important to place the router in such a way that this kind of appliances do not interfere with it. A dual band router can also help with the interference.

Try changing the channel

If your router’s default settings work fine, but your wireless signal seems flaky, the best step to improve the network is to go into your router’s web control panel to change the channel. Wireless routers can operate on different channels. Most routers can use 11 channels (specific radio frequencies) and are set to channel 1, 6, or 11 by default because these frequencies don’t overlap with one another. Naturally, you would want yours on a channel with as little intrusion as possible. Tools like Wi-Fi Stumbler or Wi-Fi Analyzer can be used to find the perfect channel in your house.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-helpful-tips-nigerians-use-wifi/

4 Likes

Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 17, 2017
cool
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by holatin(m): 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2017
all your advice is like the list my dad gave me when he realise that I don dey have sex.

1) Find the Optimate g spot

2). Adjust ur antennas

3). Reboot her Router

4). dont allow any Interference

5). Try changing the Chanel sori I meant position.

I need to drink hypo, my mind has gone dirty

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Abudu2000(m): 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2017
Hh
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by leksmedia: 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2017
Last and most important one, don't give people your WiFi password , I don't know why, it's like an average person thinks WiFi subscription is free. you share your password with someone and the next thing , they start downloading and watching videos on YouTube. Only to realize that you have consumed 5GB in less than 5 hours.

13 Likes

Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by FarukEromosele(m): 5:04pm On Jul 17, 2017
cool
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Ajeborta20(m): 5:04pm On Jul 17, 2017
Good one bro thanks alot
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by LAFO: 5:08pm On Jul 17, 2017
Next!
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by abham: 5:10pm On Jul 17, 2017
Wirless Fidelity. akward meanin tho
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 17, 2017
wehdonesir
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by vickertony(m): 5:14pm On Jul 17, 2017
how do you use a wifi with a password already?
How can i unlock it, without knowing the password.

1 Like

Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Amosjaj(m): 5:16pm On Jul 17, 2017
H
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by optional1(f): 5:17pm On Jul 17, 2017
my wifi has password you can't tap current for free oh..
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by optional1(f): 5:19pm On Jul 17, 2017
holatin:
all your advice is like the list my dad gave me when he realise that I don dey have sex.

1) Find the Optimal g spot

2). Adjust the antennas

3). Reboot your Router

u self dy use wifi..

I don go sambisa u can't beat me
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by holatin(m): 5:24pm On Jul 17, 2017
optional1:

u self dy use wifi..

I don go sambisa u can't beat me
forget I can follow you anywhere as long as you are truly a women.

first time I came to this world, I followed a big boobs woman to hell.

u get big boobs
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Marvyx(m): 5:30pm On Jul 17, 2017
holatin:

1) Find the Optimal g spot

2). Adjust the antennas

3). Reboot your Router

Just negodu
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by optional1(f): 5:31pm On Jul 17, 2017
holatin:
forget I can follow you anywhere as long as you are truly a women.

first time I came to this world, I followed a big boobs woman to hell.

u get big boobs

unfortunately i am transgender

nothing like boobs again.
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by holatin(m): 5:33pm On Jul 17, 2017
Marvyx:

Just negodu
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by holatin(m): 5:36pm On Jul 17, 2017
optional1:

unfortunately i am transgender
nothing like boobs again.
as dem cut am, where them put am.
I fit still use it as toy anytime I feel bored
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by optional1(f): 5:40pm On Jul 17, 2017
holatin:
as dem cut am, where them put am.
I fit still use it as toy anytime I feel bored

they carry am give cancer patient wey need am.
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 17, 2017
leksmedia:
Last and most important one, don't give people your WiFi password , I don't know why, it's like an average person thinks WiFi subscription is free. you share your password with someone and the next thing , they start downloading and watching videos on YouTube. Only to realize that you have consumed 5GB in less than 5 hours.
As in ehn,the matter tire me.

1 Like

Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 17, 2017
vickertony:
how do you use a wifi with a password already?

How can i unlock it, without knowing the password.

Return it to the owner and ask them
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Ilajeboy(m): 7:08pm On Jul 17, 2017
Help!!! My infinix hot4 lite gets hot while some few minutes after data connection is on nd it's taking a toll on my battery... Pls I need help
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by holatin(m): 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2017
optional1:

they carry am give cancer patient wey need am.
huh so nothing for a guy to play with.

OGA Gan ooooo
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by LOVEGINO(m): 8:14pm On Jul 17, 2017
holatin:

1) Find the Optimate g spot

2). Adjust ur antennas

3). Reboot her Router

Lwkm. U truly need to drink hypo.
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Thobiy(m): 9:53pm On Jul 17, 2017
nice info
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by holatin(m): 10:00pm On Jul 17, 2017
LOVEGINO:
Lwkm. U truly need to drink hypo.
I swear
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Rick9(m): 10:50pm On Jul 17, 2017
Who get free wifi
Re: 5 Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Use Wifi by Mrchusenvessel(m): 11:08pm On Jul 17, 2017
Ilajeboy:
Help!!! My infinix hot4 lite gets hot while some few minutes after data connection is on nd it's taking a toll on my battery... Pls I need help
your phone name said it all .ur phone is hot4 so it normal 4 it 2 be hot.
lol
come nd beat mhe

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Connect My TV To External Speakers? / How To Open A Zenith Bank Account On Your Mobile Device With USSD Code. / Kabang: The Hero Dog Who Saved Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.