Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,143 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. (1146 Views)

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / Some Common Errors In English. / See Why You Need To Eat More Eggs! You'll Be Suprised At 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. by lekside05(m): 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2017
Learning is a lifetime process. We learn every day (No one is perfect, but proper practice makes perfection). I stormed across the following 'Errors in English' today. Although I knew many of them before, but I was overwhelmingly flabbergasted by some of them. I felt it is worth sharing here on nairaland as I've also benefited immensely from similar post here on nairaland.

1. "A.D." does not mean "after death," as many people suppose. "B.C." stands for the English phrase "before Christ," but "A.D." stands
confusingly for a Latin phrase: anno domini ("in the year of the Lord"the year Jesus was born). If the calendar actually changed with
Jesus' death, then what would we do with the years during which he lived? Since Jesus was probably actually born around 6 B.C. or so, the
connection of the calendar with him can be misleading.Many Biblical scholars and historians, and archeologists prefer the less
sectarian designations "before the Common Era" (B.C.E.) and "the Common Era" (C.E.).

2. AM/PM
"AM" stands for the Latin phrase "Ante Meridiem"which means "before noon"and "PM" stands for "Post Meridiem": "after noon." Although
digital clocks routinely label noon "12:00 PM" you should avoid this expression not only because it is incorrect, but because many people
will imagine you are talking about midnight instead. The same goes for "12:00 AM." Just say or write "noon" or "midnight" when you mean those precise times. It is now rare to see periods placed after these abbreviations: "A.M.", but in formal writing it is still preferable to capitalize them, though the lowercase "am" and "pm" are now so popular they are not likely to get you into trouble.

3. ABLE TO
People are able to do things, but things are not able to be done: you should not say, "the budget shortfall was able to be solved by selling
brownies
."

4. ABOUT
"This isn't about you." What a great rebuke! But conservatives sniff at this sort of abstract use of "about," as in "I'm all about good taste"
or "successful truffle-making is about temperature control"; so it's better to avoid it in very formal English.

5. ABSORBTION/ABSORPTION
Although it's "absorbed" and "absorbing" the correct spelling of the noun is "absorption."

6. ACCESS/GET ACCESS TO
"Access" is one of many nouns that's been turned into a verb in recent years. Conservatives object to phrases like "you can access your account
online." Substitute "use," "reach," or "get access to" if you want to please them.

7. ACCESSORY
There's an "ack" sound at the beginning of this word, though some mispronounce it as if the two "C's" were to be sounded the same as the two "SS's."

8. ADDICTING/ADDICTIVE
Do you find beer nuts "addicting" or "addictive"? "Addicting" is a perfectly legitimate word, but much less common than "addictive," and some people will scowl at you if you use it.

9. AFTERALL/AFTER ALL
"After all" is always two words.

10. AISLE/ISLE
An aisle is a narrow passageway, especially in a church or store; an isle is an island. Propose to the person you're stranded on a desert isle with and maybe you'll march down the aisle together after you're rescued.

11. ALL
Put this word where it belongs in the sentence. In negative statements, don't write "All the pictures didn't show her dimples" when you mean
"The pictures didn't all show her dimples."

12. ALL READY/ALREADY
"All ready" is a phrase meaning "completely prepared," as in "As soon as I put my coat on, I'll be all ready." "Already," however, is an adverb
used to describe something that has happened before a certain time, as in "What do you mean you'd rather stay home? I've already got my coat on."

13. ALMOST
Like "only," "almost" must come immediately before the word or phrase it modifies: "She almost gave a million dollars to the museum" means
something quite different from "She gave almost a million dollars to the museum." Right? So you shouldn't write, "There was almost a riotous reaction when the will was read" when what you mean is "There was an almost riotous reaction."

14. ALRIGHT/ALL RIGHT
The correct form of this phrase has become so rare in the popular press that many readers have probably never noticed that it is actually two
words. But if you want to avoid irritating traditionalists you'd better tell them that you feel "all right" rather than "alright."

15. ALUMNUS/ALUMNI
We used to have "alumnus" (male singular), "alumni" (male plural), "alumna" (female singular) and "alumnae" (female plural); but the latter
two are now popular only among older female graduates, with the first two terms becoming unisex. However, it is still important to distinguish between one alumnus and a stadium full of alumni. Never say, "I am an alumni" if you don't want to cast discredit on your school. Many avoid the whole problem by resorting to the informal abbreviation "alum."

Let me stop here for now. More to come.
Re: Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. by Teacher1776(m): 7:16pm On Jul 18, 2017
Good.
Unlike the regular number line where we have a zero in between the negative 1 and positive 1, there is no such zero in between BC and CE or AD.
Jesus was born around 2 BCE, and not 6 BCE as you speculated.
Re: Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. by Silentscreamer(f): 7:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
I just dislike English. It has too many inconsistencies.
Re: Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. by Lucario007(m): 7:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
In 2017 AD, at 7:30pm, i was able to read this wonderful article about the absorption of the English language and its access to the accessories of addicting...

Em, I will be back with the rest grin
Re: Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 18, 2017
IDGAF
I don't give a fvck
Re: Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. by oldfoolnigger(m): 10:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
OrestesDante:
IDGAF
I don't give a fvck
But u just did
Re: Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. by oldfoolnigger(m): 10:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
Nice one op.
English and its ambiguity
Re: Common Errors In English Usage. You Would Be Suprised At Many Of Them. by ayourbamie: 11:23pm On Jul 18, 2017
Some of these are kinda confusing, e.g nos 3,4,5

(1) (Reply)

Prof. Ademu Idama's WIDOW, The Untold Story. / Top 10 Quotes Of Stephen Hawking As He Dies At 76 / ADMISSION: Masters Program At The American University Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.