Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,930 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? (38575 Views)

A Poultry Farm Sitting On A 5 Acres Of Land Is Up For Sale / How To Sucessfully Start A Poultry Feedmill / What Would It Cost Me To Raise 500 Broilers To Maturity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 10:32pm On Sep 13, 2017
Good evening everyone!
I trust that we are doing great?
I can't over emphasize this enough: success in poultry farming starts ever before you stock and not after. There are a lot of things that leads to failures in this business. I will list some here:
a. In ability to know the right time to buy or sale
b. In ability to manage production cost so as to maximise profit

And many more.....
When we bought our present stock it sold at #115 per doc (thank God I have been carrying you through with it). Today same breed sales at #260 per doc. Just 2 weeks after the cost has more than doubled and this is even the cost of buying directly from the farm and not through an agent. Also the cost doesn't include transportation. All doc of every farm is on the increase right now.
If you don't understand these things I have been sharing with you, you will always make little or no profit. The psychological effect of always farming and making nothing or pea nuts is enough to frustrate anyone out of the business. It is the situation that makes one think that it is not possible or they are just exaggerating or lying, no profit in that shit...

If you want to farm, farm right and farm smart.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by jfkenny(m): 2:11am On Sep 14, 2017
jfkenny:
How much is Guinea fowl day old..
Answer abegooo
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by Olupapparazy1(m): 2:32am On Sep 14, 2017
shurinz:

you are doing a good job, ride on.
Thank so much sir but my suggestion is can u pls form a Whatsapp group. You are helping more people than you know. Thank you sir
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by Olupapparazy1(m): 2:35am On Sep 14, 2017
MasExcel19:
Good evening everyone!
I trust that we are doing great?
I can't over emphasize this enough: success in poultry farming starts ever before you stock and not after. There are a lot of things that leads to failures in this business. I will list some here:
a. In ability to know the right time to buy or sale
b. In ability to manage production cost so as to maximise profit

And many more.....
When we bought our present stock it sold at #115 per doc (thank God I have been carrying you through with it). Today same breed sales at #260 per doc. Just 2 weeks after the cost has more than doubled and this is even the cost of buying directly from the farm and not through an agent. Also the cost doesn't include transportation. All doc of every farm is on the increase right now.
If you don't understand these things I have been sharing with you, you will always make little or no profit. The psychological effect of always farming and making nothing or pea nuts is enough to frustrate anyone out of the business. It is the situation that makes one think that it is not possible or they are just exaggerating or lying, no profit in that shit...

If you want to farm, farm right and farm smart.
You are doing a great job sir but my suggestion is can you please form a Whatsapp group. You are helping more people than you know and Whatsapp assures more proximity to you for proper mentorship. God bless you sir

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 6:31am On Sep 14, 2017
jfkenny:

Answer abegooo
@jf Kenny I don't buy guinea fowl. However, you may check on poultryplaza.com and see if you would get any info there
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MadCow1: 8:02am On Sep 14, 2017
MasExcel19:
How much would it cost me to start a Broiler Farm?

This is the question I get asked every time. The truth is this, lots of persons wants to go into poultry business but they fear a lot of things. Some of these fears include:
- those guys(chickens) can die!
- the capital required is too high
- how do I even sell those idiots?
Lols!
You see, you can never start a business staying far off. You need interest and some little faith to risk something.

All of the above are not in all true. It is easy to start and its damn cheap too.

There a lot of things that add to cost of raising birds and it start from day one.
If u don't handle things smartly u will make a lot of unnecessary expenses

1. First thing u need to do is to make sure that you are buying your doc directly from d farm. Its way cheaper that way. Those individuals you book with add their own interest you know. Get at least 2-3 reliable farms you can work with and keep in touch with their doc prices. This way you get to knw what they are selling at every time. Personally I have studied the thing. I know exactly when prices ar very low and high. So I buy more when they are very low
Let's use agrited to do an estimate. Doc sold at 180 yesterday (Mon. 17th July) 100 doc will cost 18,000 plus a #10 tp per chick which is #1000. Total cost of doc #19,000

2. You will need to prepare d brooding space. Things required include:
a. Wood shaving - 400 for a bag. You need 1 bag. If its free at your place then you're lucky.
b. Heat source- use charcoal stove. 1 bag of charcoal is 1200 here. Use half bag. Dts 600

3. Usually 4 vaccines are needed within 4 weeks of your doc. 2 of Gomboro and 2 of lasota. If you administer the first 2 properly you don't need to do the rest again unless where you find them not agile
So here we will use 2

Lasota - 100dose 600
Gomboro- 100 dose 1000

4. Other things u need are drugs and vitamins. You will need antibiotics, vitamin, coccidostat plus any other one if u observe any problem with your chicken.
Of course there are other additives if you like

So,
Antibiotics- 600-1200 depending on the type
Antiviral- 500
Vitamin-800
Coccidostat- 400

5. Feeding is the major activity in the farm and it usually takes most of the cost in production.
First thing u need here is to make sure u buy or make ur feeds in bulk. This way, you save a lot on transportation.
Current Prices of feeds in my area:

a. Top feeds -4000- 4200
b. Hybrid- 3600-3650
c. Livestock feeds-3800-3900
d. Sunseed-3650-3700
There are others

You will need about 12 bags of feeds for 8 weeks period.
Let's use the least of the above feeds.
Hybrid- 3650 *4 (starter)=#14,600
Finisher-3600*8=28,800
Total- #43,400

But if u are making your own feed. You will spend #26,000-30,000
The range is dependent on the following:
a. Your target market
b. How much you're able to learn from what I can teach you. The first time you save 15%, as you progress and master the skills 20-30% plus
c. Cost of feed ingredients in your area

Difference in price of company processed feeds and your feeds.
43,400 - 26,000=#17400
43,400 - 30,000=#13,400
* Feeds get stale after 1 month and decrease in quality.
* make feeds in bulk to save cost on transportation. 4 bags will last u first 4 weeks. Then the remaining 8bags the nxt 4 weeks
* Making your feeds puts you in charge of the nutrition your chickens get, save you cost, and helps you get better results in terms of weight and egg at even lesser time

Cost summary:
a. Doc- 19,000
b. Wood shaving-400
c. Charcoal-600
d. Vaccines-1,600
e. Drugs/Vit-2,300
*f. Company made feeds-43,400
g. Your own feed-26,000
*Transportation cost of feeds -1,500
Total -#49,900
*omitted in Total

What I have just shown you is the production cost of raising 100 Broilers.
You also need a housing for your chickens. That's easy to do. Get a carpenter friend for a brother price to build one.
Start right at your back yard and grow big.

Remember, All you need to start that farm is only #49,900

Now, pulse!
I hear someone asking about profit.
Imagine selling a chicken at just #1,000
Punch your calculator. Try multiplying by 600 birds.
Oh! sorry u were supposed to multiply by 100

Stop idleness! Go start farming!

Good luck
Salami Excel Oluwafemi
Determined on making you a farmer
09056198681[color=#006600][/color]

Hi.. Thanks for this input.

I am currently building a business plan for 2500 layer capacity farm and I am stuck with my price estimates. Can I send you what I have so far for you to review and maybe shed some light on things I may be missing or getting wrong. Also I can't seem to properly put a price on the cost of their vaccination and vitamins.

Please let me know if I can send you and email.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 8:31am On Sep 14, 2017
MadCow1:

Hi.. Thanks for this input.

I am currently building a business plan for 2500 layer capacity farm and I am stuck with my price estimates. Can I send you what I have so far for you to review and maybe shed some light on things I may be missing or getting wrong. Also I can't seem to properly put a price on the cost of their vaccination and vitamins.

Please let me know if I can send you and email.

Yes you can but there is a length I can go for free
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by jfkenny(m): 10:51am On Sep 14, 2017
Sir, what quantity of feed should 50 broilers be eating daily at 7 weeks..
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MadCow1: 4:06pm On Sep 14, 2017
MasExcel19:

Yes you can but there is a length I can go for free

What will it cost to get a generic plan from you for 2500 layers and 2000 broilers..

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 10:39pm On Sep 14, 2017
MadCow1:

What will it cost to get a generic plan from you for 2500 layers and 2000 broilers..
Please send me an email or a Private message using the contact details at my signature just below this post. Thanks
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MadCow1: 10:57pm On Sep 14, 2017
MasExcel19:

Please send me an email or a Private message using the contact details at my signature just below this post. Thanks

Sent
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 6:57am On Sep 15, 2017
MadCow1:

Sent
I received your email and have replied too. Please pay attention to the last reply for contact details. Thanks
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 4:56pm On Sep 27, 2017
In 2015 during my NYSC I was privileged to visit a poultry farm with Kenneth Eche-Ija Eyikwodani and for the first time, I saw practically what a big farm looked like. It was a farm made up of mostly cockerels (about 2000) and though they where about 4 weeks old, I enjoyed and admired their cries as the care takers moved about pouring feeds in the troughs (feeders) and the chicks struggle to feed. At the time this was happening we were only a 250 capacity broiler farm and though I was hopeful I lacked the motivation or understanding of what it meant running a large farm. That night I returned home and couldn't sleep. If you know me too well you'd know how insistent and stubborn I can be trying to find or achieve a goal in my heart. I got busy surfing the internet and read everything I could find on poultry farming. This continued for many days until my eyes opened! The vast opportunities I saw in the sector alone kept my spirit warm (or something I can't even describe) for many more weeks. Then I began to tell some of my colleagues that I would be farming big after completing the service. I am sure that most of them didn't understand.
No, this decision wasn't because there was no job, because i got my first appointment 3 months to POP . It wasn't also because I was just excited and wanted to have fun doing something to get by, No! Something happened to me. I must have been demonized by the spirits of my fore fathers whose only occupation was farming. Lols...
Those spirits have been hunting me since 2015 and they have been pushing me forward. Things continue to happen like magic and people near by who do not understand the sufferings just see the glory and want to copy? Lots of them end just when they started. Others would even copy my works and put up in sites without single acknowledgment of the mastermind, take all the praises and the cash too. Its all good. The existence of the world is because of all the instabilities.
You see, there is only one sure way to doing anything. It is to "do!". There is also only one way to be good at what you do. It is "practice". Whatever you do can improve with consistent and meaningful time of practice and there is no limit to how far you can go.
However, as lots of persons would say, "it is easier to learn by observation than by experience" and I like to add that while learning by experience is important it can lead to waste. Some experience leave you with a shock you may never recover from including a psychological damage of self.
Truthfully, I learnt most of the things we do at our farms today by experience but I can't tell you how much I had to bear to be able to still stand. When we first started out, we lost 100 broilers within 2 weeks of their arrival and the second time about 50 again. All these happened because I had no good knowledge about poultry farming and even if I wanted to learn the people around weren't helping. Everyone was hiding and hoarding knowledge even at a fee they will still not tell you "EVERYTHING" or at least some secrets to survive.
If you want to farm, farm right! Don't be like just any other farmer who is only doing it to get by.
The first thing to do after deciding to start farming is to develop a business plan. The importance of a business plan is numerous but I will list some here:
* It shows you and solidify your picture of the future
* It is the working instrument upon which major decisions are made in the cause of running the business
* a good business plan can give you access to loans, grants and favour you when you meet a prospective investor. No body wants to just borrow you money. No one enjoys seeing his/her money being thrown away. You will have to prove to an investor that his investment would be worth it. The business plan gives you this advantage!
There are 2 major ways to getting a generic business plan:
1. By carrying out intensive research within the sector of interest or
2. By working with or handing it over to a practicing professional in the field of interest.

While number 1 may look cheap in the eye it could be very burdensome, tiring and exhausting. It may also even be more expensive since you might be spending money and time sourcing for all the information needed. It also might give you awesome experiences which could help later in the business.

Number 2 is cheaper and easier. For a fee you transfer all those burden and wait for your work to be done.
As one of our services, we write business plan for both layer farming and broiler farming either separately or comprehensively. We don't just write a copy and paste kinda business plan like what you find everyday on the internet. No! We write you an intensive, well researched and articulated business plan with all the financial projections properly done. Then we send you a review copy and start all over again if you're not satisfied. Also, we send you a copy of our "Management programmes and Vaccination schedule' guide to help you succeed and defend yourself before investors plus an insight on how to tend your proposal to prospective investors with evidence of how we raised #250,000 using same technique. This service is not free but it is affordable. Send us a direct message on 09071827982 if interested.

We shall continue our series on "Practical Steps to starting a poultry farming business" soon.

Live smart!

4 Likes

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 1:21pm On Oct 03, 2017
This will be done here only once....

This post was prompted due to the recent inquiries I have hard about estimated cost of layer farming and business plan... I am breaking the rules to make this post in that regard. So please read and ignore if not interested.

Assuming you already have a land, it will cost you N10,064,240 to start a 2500 layer farm from pullets (i.e DOC) up until laying period. That amount also include cost of raising a deep litre Pen, purchase and installation of battery cages at Point Of Lay (POL), feeds, feeders, drinkers, vaccines and medicines, cost of pullets etc.
It will take about 18 weeks for them to start laying. Transfer to the cages is done at 14-16 weeks.

During laying period, it will cost N38,220 to sustain the farm and you'd make profit of N24,280 daily running to N728,400 monthly and N8,740,800 in a year, assuming you have a favourable market. Your Hens will continue to lay for 14months plus and you'd sell spent layers at N1,200-N1,400 depending on weight. Assuming you sold only 2000 spent layers at N1,200 you will make N2,400,000 and this is extra profit.

What I have shown you is over 98% profits within 3years of stocking just 2500 layers. What if you have a strategy of increasing your stock by 500 yearly or in 6 months during lay? I am sure you can see...

Wait! Don't be too excited just yet.

What if you want all the above experience but have the following problems:
*No capital
*No skill or knowledge about poultry

Or

May be you do have the above 2 qualities but don't even know how to start since you haven't done it before.

You see, the picture I painted above is real and its even the least experience you can have if you follow all the rules. For instance, you will need to know the exact breeds to buy for optimum performance, and the daily feed requirements per chick up until POL. You also need to know all the vaccines and medications required to be administered to the chicken. Without all these, your efforts will be frustrated with poor performance of chick seen in delayed laying, small size eggs, reduced frequency of lay etc. These simple things can lead to serious loses.

Now, hold on....

What if all the night mares above can be solved?

Our "management programme and vaccination schedule guides" shows you:
-the exact quantity of feed to feed your chicks daily so that they reach the required (1.5kg or 1.7kg depending on breed) weight on time and start laying jumbo size eggs too
-the exact quantity of feed to maintain during laying period
-how to calculate the feed requirements from grams to kg so that you know how many bags to feed your chickens daily
-what to do every day towards the healthy living and performance of your chickens
-when to transfer, when to debeak etc
-how much space required during brooding, rearing (growing) and laying periods

...and lots more

How about raising funds?
We will show you a practical technique we have used to raise N250,000 with evidence of how you too can do same or get more than what we achieved in less than 1month. We will also write you a generic business plan that guarantees to winning you miracles before investors.

The business plan we will write you will have among other things:

*an exact illustration of the goals set and how to achieve them
*a clear description of the financial projections
*templete of records keeping sheets, vaccines and medication plus prices etc
*proper analysis of target market and practical promotional and marketing strategies
...plus lots more

Now, after we're done, we will send you a copy to review and start all over again if you're not satisfied.

This offers also goes for broilers farming.

This offer last 7days from today.

For price:

Call- 09056198681
Whatsapp- 09071827982

Feel free to share

See you in the series "Practical steps to starting a poultry farming business" this weekend.

**we're not only providing you broilers farming solutions but ALL poultry farming solutions.

If you stick around well enough you'd learn a lot from us.

****Again my apologies for doing this here***

Live Smart

1 Share

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by hopeakpan101: 2:10pm On Oct 03, 2017
How do I produced feed by myself

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 3:11pm On Oct 03, 2017
hopeakpan101:
How do I produced feed by myself
Its easy. You can get our guide and learn everything from start to finish plus further guide online. To get it please reach us via the contacts details at the signature just below this post.
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by Ogagawhite(f): 9:25am On Oct 05, 2017
This is a feed ebook by STONED FEED PRODUCT. It cover's 27 100% useful page. This ebook is about feed formulation "how to make a Worldwide feed on catfish, broilers, pig, rabbit, pullets,layers,snail easily. As we all knows that feed formulation is one of the widely use feed secret, to get a good return and smiling to the bank and People love farm biz but considering the cost and prizes of feed ND drug make them wanna think back,well, using feed formulation is the best but Freshers always face problems regarding setting up a good formulation (crude protein and inclusion rate) . So this EBook for all those beginners who don't know the concept of setting up good formulation

In this eBook we have the cover the basic question regarding creating a worldwide feed formulation . All the must have protein sources (plant animal and marine) and many other energy source things like setting up some photogenic natural feed additives locally on your farm and much more . You people will love it .

So if you are a fresher and ready to create a feed formulation using my formula then this eBook is just what you require. The write-up of this eBook is very simple and easy to understand. You will love to share this eBook to your friends and other coworkers free or pay
for your information I suffer well well before God bless me with this idea I buy so many eBook because I wanted to grow my farm to more profit but trust 9ja Dem chop my money wella

Call or Whatsapp 08020605880 and change your farm life

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 10:10pm On Oct 07, 2017
Practical Steps to starting your poultry farming business: Part 5
============================
Hey smart farmers!

I apologise for making this post late. A lot has happened these past few days. I have been busy, had phone issues and sick too but I am happy its all working out for good because I have stumbled on miracles and favours too. Thanks for always following.

I have decided to do 3 things today as a way of giving back to you for all the long break.

Today, we will be discussing the following:

1. How to prepare your brooding room and care for your doc
2. The right way to vaccinate and the various vaccination programmes available for broilers
3. Feed types and age of chicks plus duration

Its going to be a long read so brace up....

Assuming you have been following all my post, you'd notice that our focus has always been on broilers and this is not because we don't have the knowledge about layers but because I believe and have explained that broilers are easy and less cost demanding to start. Also, we can't discus all 2 at once since each is broad, requires a different approach and skills.

If your interest is on layers don't worry, we shall discuss topics on layers broadly just as we have done on broilers.
Our goal is to meet everyone's needs and eradicate or put to an end all form of idleness and begging youths on the streets. If you're wondering why or what has been making us give so much, this is it!

Let's cut to the chase...

1. How to prepare your brooding room and care for your chicks (doc):

- first I want to assume that you already have a cage or a brooding space like a room etc

- if you already have the above then you must clean and sanitise the place at least 2 days before the birds arrive. So that all insecticides and chemicals used must have evaporated and the place air dried.

- you will need to also spread wood shavings on the floor of the room or cage. Pls don't use saw dust. The reason why you shouldn't use that is because the birds can pick them while feeding and it affect their growth eventually since the woods contain toxins. Also, it doesn't collect the droppings of the birds well enough. Most times the saw dust is for free while the wood shavings are sold at a cost. Please, don't use the big wood shavings too. Use something moderate the birds can't feed on but can still feel comfortable matching and sleeping or better still use rice husks.

- the morning to the arrival of your birds, seal up the room or cage as the case may be and put your charcoal stoves. Your charcoal stove however must be raised and the sides covered with blocks to avoid the birds flying or crawling in to the fire. Your birds will be able to fly from 2-3 days. The fire will make the room warm and then you can bring out your birds one by one from the Catton and drop them in the cage house. Make sure water and feed are already placed for the birds. It is also advisable to put an extra light in the room so the birds can be able to see more since their vision is poor at this stage. You should also, count your chicks and take records of transit mortality if any.
*the heaters (heat source) are placed in the brooding area 1-2 hours before the birds are placed inside. This is to ensure the area is warm enough awaiting the chicks.

- the water you put for them should have vitamins, vitamins and antibiotics the next day. There is usually a vaccination and medication schedule to follow.

- please don't go far away from the birds. The first 5 days are the most important in a birds live cycle. At this time they need intensive care. So you will have to check on them like 5 - 10min just after you put them down.

- observe how they are fearing:

*If they gather around the fire source, it means that the fire isn't enough for them. This usually happens during the cold weather

*If they are far apart and sparsely dispersed it means that the fire is too much and u have to ventilate the room. Usually in hot weather conditions you may not even need a heat source.

*If you find them lying down and breathing heavily then ventilate the room

*if you find them playing and feeding then the temperature is okay for them and you only need to check them may be hourly.

* if you see them just clustered and you are sure the temperature is okay for them then you have to space the food and drinkers apart and use your hands(make sure they're clean) to scatter them. If you don't do this they would match on themselves and this can lead to mortality.

- Please be careful how you prepare the fire source if you're using zinc cages; so that the zinc or wood won't get too hot especially if your cage is up and dwn type. If you place the fire under, the heat will affect the ones on top. You can use logic for this though.

2. How to vaccinate and the various vaccination programs available for broilers:

** The simple steps to vaccinate your chicks:

- you have to make sure that your birds are at least 7-10 days old before administering the first vaccine

- the first vaccine you are to give is Lasota. However, some persons would give gumboro first in some cases.

- withdraw all water from your birds early morning of the day. Leave them to only feed for about 2hrs. The idea is to make your birds tasty so they quickly finish the water you will be giving them next

- mix small quantity from a cowbell sachet milk in a 4 litre drinker only if your birds are 50-100. 2 of the 4 litres drinkers if 100-200 birds. 3 of the 4 litres if 200-300 birds and so on. Make sure the water is close to the brim then stir.
*the quantity of water is increased in the next vaccine and done so continuously although the programme. The idea in that is simple, as your birds grows their demand for water increases too.

- remove the aluminium seal on the vaccine bottle. Be careful not to allow air into the vaccine

- collect the already mixed water from the drinker into a syringe and transfer it into the vaccine bottle. Be careful not to allow air into the vaccine

- shake bottle to mix properly

- use your syringe and carefully draw out the mixture in the vaccine bottle into the drinker

- stir whole mixture and divide into different drinkers so that it be easy for birds to drink

- put the vaccine water for birds to drink

- remove vaccine water and replace with clean water after 1:30 minutes

Dosages:
50 birds to 50 dose
100 birds-100 dose
200 birds -200 dose and so on
Types of vaccines:

There are 2 types of vaccines- live and oil vaccines. The live vaccines are cheaper, easy to administer and mostly common. However, be sure you get your vaccines from reliable vet shops. Make sure to check for expiry dates and other details. Also, vaccines are to always remain in cold complexes or a refrigerator. So be sure the seller is bringing out the vaccines from the fridge or cold complex. He/she is to also package same in a cold complex for you. If you're buying all vaccines at once, make sure to have a means of storing them in cold complex or refrigerator.

Vaccination programmes:
a. 1:1-1:1 or 2:2
b. 1:1:1:1-1:1 or 4:2
c. 1:1

a. 2:2 means that you administer 2 lasota and 2 gumboro. Starting with lasota on the 8th day, gumboro on the 12th, lasota on the 18th and gumboro on the 22nd day. Some however, follow a 7-10 days gaps between each vaccines

b. 4:2 means that you give 4 lasota in all and 2 gumboro

c. 1:1 means that you give 1 lasota and 1 gumboro

* I usually make my choice depending on number of stock, circumstances surrounding the period of stocking and weight in view.

3. Broiler feed types:

There are mainly 4 types of broiler feeds namely:

a. Pre-starter: this is given to doc till they are 7 days old. It protein content, enzymes and nutritional values are usually very high and of utmost quality. It helps the chick gain all the necessary nutrients that helps it withstand stress and diseases when grown.

b. Starter: this is given to the birds from 7 days to 3 weeks more.

c. Grower: this is fed to the birds from when they are 4 weeks to their 8th week. This feed has more carbohydrates content

d. Finisher: this is fed to the birds from their 8th week to their 12th week. It has a balance ratio of both carbohydrates and protein. However, when the protein ratio is raised a little higher than the carbohydrates, it gives better results.

All the 4 types of feeds comes in 2 texture:

- pelleted : they are more refined. Their grower and finisher feed comes in a granular-like form. Vita feeds is an example.

- mashed : example is the type produced by Livestock, Hybrid, etc

If you have questions please ask in the comment space.

**** I look forward to hearing your testimony just like the screen shots attached to the post.

Live smart!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by shurinz(m): 9:17pm On Oct 11, 2017
MasExcel19:
Practical Steps to starting your poultry farming business: Part 5
============================
Hey smart farmers!

I apologise for making this post late. A lot has happened these past few days. I have been busy, had phone issues and sick too but I am happy its all working out for good because I have stumbled on miracles and favours too. Thanks for always following.

I have decided to do 3 things today as a way of giving back to you for all the long break.

Today, we will be discussing the following:

1. How to prepare your brooding room and care for your doc
2. The right way to vaccinate and the various vaccination programmes available for broilers
3. Feed types and age of chicks plus duration

Its going to be a long read so brace up....

Assuming you have been following all my post, you'd notice that our focus has always been on broilers and this is not because we don't have the knowledge about layers but because I believe and have explained that broilers are easy and less cost demanding to start. Also, we can't discus all 2 at once since each is broad, requires a different approach and skills.

If your interest is on layers don't worry, we shall discuss topics on layers broadly just as we have done on broilers.
Our goal is to meet everyone's needs and eradicate or put to an end all form of idleness and begging youths on the streets. If you're wondering why or what has been making us give so much, this is it!

Let's cut to the chase...

1. How to prepare your brooding room and care for your chicks (doc):

- first I want to assume that you already have a cage or a brooding space like a room etc

- if you already have the above then you must clean and sanitise the place at least 2 days before the birds arrive. So that all insecticides and chemicals used must have evaporated and the place air dried.

- you will need to also spread wood shavings on the floor of the room or cage. Pls don't use saw dust. The reason why you shouldn't use that is because the birds can pick them while feeding and it affect their growth eventually since the woods contain toxins. Also, it doesn't collect the droppings of the birds well enough. Most times the saw dust is for free while the wood shavings are sold at a cost. Please, don't use the big wood shavings too. Use something moderate the birds can't feed on but can still feel comfortable matching and sleeping or better still use rice husks.

- the morning to the arrival of your birds, seal up the room or cage as the case may be and put your charcoal stoves. Your charcoal stove however must be raised and the sides covered with blocks to avoid the birds flying or crawling in to the fire. Your birds will be able to fly from 2-3 days. The fire will make the room warm and then you can bring out your birds one by one from the Catton and drop them in the cage house. Make sure water and feed are already placed for the birds. It is also advisable to put an extra light in the room so the birds can be able to see more since their vision is poor at this stage. You should also, count your chicks and take records of transit mortality if any.
*the heaters (heat source) are placed in the brooding area 1-2 hours before the birds are placed inside. This is to ensure the area is warm enough awaiting the chicks.

- the water you put for them should have vitamins, vitamins and antibiotics the next day. There is usually a vaccination and medication schedule to follow.

- please don't go far away from the birds. The first 5 days are the most important in a birds live cycle. At this time they need intensive care. So you will have to check on them like 5 - 10min just after you put them down.

- observe how they are fearing:

*If they gather around the fire source, it means that the fire isn't enough for them. This usually happens during the cold weather

*If they are far apart and sparsely dispersed it means that the fire is too much and u have to ventilate the room. Usually in hot weather conditions you may not even need a heat source.

*If you find them lying down and breathing heavily then ventilate the room

*if you find them playing and feeding then the temperature is okay for them and you only need to check them may be hourly.

* if you see them just clustered and you are sure the temperature is okay for them then you have to space the food and drinkers apart and use your hands(make sure they're clean) to scatter them. If you don't do this they would match on themselves and this can lead to mortality.

- Please be careful how you prepare the fire source if you're using zinc cages; so that the zinc or wood won't get too hot especially if your cage is up and dwn type. If you place the fire under, the heat will affect the ones on top. You can use logic for this though.

2. How to vaccinate and the various vaccination programs available for broilers:

** The simple steps to vaccinate your chicks:

- you have to make sure that your birds are at least 7-10 days old before administering the first vaccine

- the first vaccine you are to give is Lasota. However, some persons would give gumboro first in some cases.

- withdraw all water from your birds early morning of the day. Leave them to only feed for about 2hrs. The idea is to make your birds tasty so they quickly finish the water you will be giving them next

- mix small quantity from a cowbell sachet milk in a 4 litre drinker only if your birds are 50-100. 2 of the 4 litres drinkers if 100-200 birds. 3 of the 4 litres if 200-300 birds and so on. Make sure the water is close to the brim then stir.
*the quantity of water is increased in the next vaccine and done so continuously although the programme. The idea in that is simple, as your birds grows their demand for water increases too.

- remove the aluminium seal on the vaccine bottle. Be careful not to allow air into the vaccine

- collect the already mixed water from the drinker into a syringe and transfer it into the vaccine bottle. Be careful not to allow air into the vaccine

- shake bottle to mix properly

- use your syringe and carefully draw out the mixture in the vaccine bottle into the drinker

- stir whole mixture and divide into different drinkers so that it be easy for birds to drink

- put the vaccine water for birds to drink

- remove vaccine water and replace with clean water after 1:30 minutes

Dosages:
50 birds to 50 dose
100 birds-100 dose
200 birds -200 dose and so on
Types of vaccines:

There are 2 types of vaccines- live and oil vaccines. The live vaccines are cheaper, easy to administer and mostly common. However, be sure you get your vaccines from reliable vet shops. Make sure to check for expiry dates and other details. Also, vaccines are to always remain in cold complexes or a refrigerator. So be sure the seller is bringing out the vaccines from the fridge or cold complex. He/she is to also package same in a cold complex for you. If you're buying all vaccines at once, make sure to have a means of storing them in cold complex or refrigerator.

Vaccination programmes:
a. 1:1-1:1 or 2:2
b. 1:1:1:1-1:1 or 4:2
c. 1:1

a. 2:2 means that you administer 2 lasota and 2 gumboro. Starting with lasota on the 8th day, gumboro on the 12th, lasota on the 18th and gumboro on the 22nd day. Some however, follow a 7-10 days gaps between each vaccines

b. 4:2 means that you give 4 lasota in all and 2 gumboro

c. 1:1 means that you give 1 lasota and 1 gumboro

* I usually make my choice depending on number of stock, circumstances surrounding the period of stocking and weight in view.

3. Broiler feed types:

There are mainly 4 types of broiler feeds namely:

a. Pre-starter: this is given to doc till they are 7 days old. It protein content, enzymes and nutritional values are usually very high and of utmost quality. It helps the chick gain all the necessary nutrients that helps it withstand stress and diseases when grown.

b. Starter: this is given to the birds from 7 days to 3 weeks more.

c. Grower: this is fed to the birds from when they are 4 weeks to their 8th week. This feed has more carbohydrates content

d. Finisher: this is fed to the birds from their 8th week to their 12th week. It has a balance ratio of both carbohydrates and protein. However, when the protein ratio is raised a little higher than the carbohydrates, it gives better results.

All the 4 types of feeds comes in 2 texture:

- pelleted : they are more refined. Their grower and finisher feed comes in a granular-like form. Vita feeds is an example.

- mashed : example is the type produced by Livestock, Hybrid, etc

If you have questions please ask in the comment space.

**** I look forward to hearing your testimony just like the screen shots attached to the post.

Live smart!

Following back to back.
Welldone

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 2:21am On Oct 12, 2017
shurinz:

Following back to back.
Welldone
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by juyi44(m): 5:41pm On Oct 13, 2017
MasExcel19:
How much would it cost me to start a Broiler Farm?

This is the question I get asked every time. The truth is this, lots of persons wants to go into poultry business but they fear a lot of things. Some of these fears include:
- those guys(chickens) can die!
- the capital required is too high
- how do I even sell those idiots?
Lols!
You see, you can never start a business staying far off. You need interest and some little faith to risk something.

All of the above are not in all true. It is easy to start and its damn cheap too.

There a lot of things that add to cost of raising birds and it start from day one.
If u don't handle things smartly u will make a lot of unnecessary expenses

1. First thing u need to do is to make sure that you are buying your doc directly from d farm. Its way cheaper that way. Those individuals you book with add their own interest you know. Get at least 2-3 reliable farms you can work with and keep in touch with their doc prices. This way you get to knw what they are selling at every time. Personally I have studied the thing. I know exactly when prices ar very low and high. So I buy more when they are very low
Let's use agrited to do an estimate. Doc sold at 180 yesterday (Mon. 17th July) 100 doc will cost 18,000 plus a #10 tp per chick which is #1000. Total cost of doc #19,000

2. You will need to prepare d brooding space. Things required include:
a. Wood shaving - 400 for a bag. You need 1 bag. If its free at your place then you're lucky.
b. Heat source- use charcoal stove. 1 bag of charcoal is 1200 here. Use half bag. Dts 600

3. Usually 4 vaccines are needed within 4 weeks of your doc. 2 of Gomboro and 2 of lasota. If you administer the first 2 properly you don't need to do the rest again unless where you find them not agile
So here we will use 2

Lasota - 100dose 600
Gomboro- 100 dose 1000

4. Other things u need are drugs and vitamins. You will need antibiotics, vitamin, coccidostat plus any other one if u observe any problem with your chicken.
Of course there are other additives if you like

So,
Antibiotics- 600-1200 depending on the type
Antiviral- 500
Vitamin-800
Coccidostat- 400

5. Feeding is the major activity in the farm and it usually takes most of the cost in production.
First thing u need here is to make sure u buy or make ur feeds in bulk. This way, you save a lot on transportation.
Current Prices of feeds in my area:

a. Top feeds -4000- 4200
b. Hybrid- 3600-3650
c. Livestock feeds-3800-3900
d. Sunseed-3650-3700
There are others

You will need about 12 bags of feeds for 8 weeks period.
Let's use the least of the above feeds.
Hybrid- 3650 *4 (starter)=#14,600
Finisher-3600*8=28,800
Total- #43,400

But if u are making your own feed. You will spend #26,000-30,000
The range is dependent on the following:
a. Your target market
b. How much you're able to learn from what I can teach you. The first time you save 15%, as you progress and master the skills 20-30% plus
c. Cost of feed ingredients in your area

Difference in price of company processed feeds and your feeds.
43,400 - 26,000=#17400
43,400 - 30,000=#13,400
* Feeds get stale after 1 month and decrease in quality.
* make feeds in bulk to save cost on transportation. 4 bags will last u first 4 weeks. Then the remaining 8bags the nxt 4 weeks
* Making your feeds puts you in charge of the nutrition your chickens get, save you cost, and helps you get better results in terms of weight and egg at even lesser time

Cost summary:
a. Doc- 19,000
b. Wood shaving-400
c. Charcoal-600
d. Vaccines-1,600
e. Drugs/Vit-2,300
*f. Company made feeds-43,400
g. Your own feed-26,000
*Transportation cost of feeds -1,500
Total -#49,900
*omitted in Total

What I have just shown you is the production cost of raising 100 Broilers.
You also need a housing for your chickens. That's easy to do. Get a carpenter friend for a brother price to build one.
Start right at your back yard and grow big.

Remember, All you need to start that farm is only #49,900

Now, pulse!
I hear someone asking about profit.
Imagine selling a chicken at just #1,000
Punch your calculator. Try multiplying by 600 birds.
Oh! sorry u were supposed to multiply by 100

Stop idleness! Go start farming!

Good luck
Salami Excel Oluwafemi
Determined on making you a farmer
09056198681[color=#006600][/color]

POINT OF LAY CHICKS
If you want to start egg production and you can't take the risks invloved in raising day old chicks, or you want fast and guaranteed high production from your layers, ring me for point of lay chicks, let's make you happy...08091893042
Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 7:34pm On Oct 17, 2017
How to save 30% managing your poultry farm
=======================
Hello smart farmers!

Its been a while since I last made a post. I like to believe you have been practicing all you are learning from all our series? Well I do because I have received feedbacks from some persons who have actually started out farming after being inspired from reading our post here.

We have just concluded the series "practical steps to starting your own poultry farming business" and I thought the next thing you would be needing is managerial skills. I know this because I have seen a lot of farmers get frustrated out of business because they do not know how to properly manage their farms this makes them make pea nuts as profits or incur great loses. This can lead any farmer into not only being frustrated but a psychological condition that makes one loose self esteem, the vibe to try any other business and a consistent remainder (in form of shock) of failure. This my friend is bad!

One time, we wrote a business plan on layers farming for a client and the capital investment was running over NGN21.5 million. His profit came above NGN5 million in the 2nd year ending with an ROI of 27% at the end of the 3rd year. This was a standard business plan (Sorry i can't show you the financial spread sheets since they are for my client). Here is the thing, no sensible investor will agree with your hypes on an ROI of 110%. Well, if you claim its possible your cash flow will have to show it and this has to be very clear enough. Here is another thing, even if its possible to make 110% ROI don't show it!

This is why:
- Your investors will perceive you as scam;
- you give them greater bargaining power on how much they will request as interest. I mean if you're going to make that much you can't be promising them 10% interest.

Enough of this, I am digressing already. May be we will treat "how to write a poultry farming business plan that guarantee you that loan" or some title that fits. Since I know that another set back most people are having is "capital" and a good business plan written with all the necessary "ingredients" will taste so good in the read of your investors that they write you a huge sum cheque in a hurry begging you to please collect the money.

Back to the story;

Usually, after writing a client such business plan, we will provide suggestions on how he/she can cut down on cost of production. This is done at a fee but I will be explaining today's topic using some of the managerial skills I will employ, if I were to run the farm of my client.

Here is the truth, I can save at the least 30% on the capital investment. 30% of NGN21,588,631 is NGN6,467,590. Let me show you what I will do:

At the time of writing that business plan, cost of Top feeds in the east (my client location) was:
Chick mash-NGN4,000
Grower mash- NGN3,800
Layer mash -NGN3,700

A total of 9762.9 bags is needed from DOC through laying period (78 weeks).

The quantity needed according to the feed type is as follows:
Chick mash - 471.1 bags
Grower mash - 1708 bags
Layer mash - 7583.8 bags

During the same period, Top feeds (notice that I am using the same company feeds) was selling at the following prices in Niger state:
Chick mash - NGN3,900
Grower mash - NGN3,200
Layer mash - NGN3,250

I also have a seller who promises a 4% discount on every purchase of 20 bags and above.

Now, assuming I am to run that farm what I will do is simple:

1. I can decide to buy all my feeds from Niger state. If I do this, here is what will happen- I will save these:
a chick mash - NGN100 per bag
b. Grower mash - NGN600 per bag
c. Layer mash - NGN450 per bag

Bringing a total of NGN4,484,620. Money saved from all 9762.9 bags.

Now, I am very greedy so I will make sure I get that 4% discount every time and this will make me save NGN4,664,004 instead of NGN4,484,620 buying at the normal price.

2. I will not buy feeds from retailers. I will go straight to the company. Someone who is going to be buying tons of feeds isn't small. I deserve respect too. Lols
How much do you think these retailers make from selling a bag of feeds? Ok let me take the minimum. Let's say its NGN50 per bag.

Remember the total number of bags of feeds I will buy is 9762.9. If you multiply this by NGN50, you will get NGN488,145. Add it to the last money saved in (1) above NGN5,152,149. This is the amount I could save buying feeds directly from the company.

3. I told you, I am very greedy. I hope you know that, buying these feeds from the company or a retailer in Niger state will require transportation cost? I don't want to waste that money. So here is what I will do. Simply, I will buy a small milling machine (for a start) and use it to make my own feeds right in my farm. If I do this I can save almost a NGN1,500 per bag but let us assume I don't have the money for a good milling machine. I will find a miller in the east or simply come down to the north since I am sure I will find one and get labour cost cheap too. If I use a miller in the north I will save at the very least NGN500 per bag. Total bags of feeds 9762.9 * NGN500 is NGN4,881,450 saved off the normal cost of buying feeds from even the company. If you add that to the amount saved in (2) you will have NGN10,033,599.
NGN10,033,599 is 46.5% of the capital investment NGN21,588,631 and this was just saved from feeds only!

So you can propose and collect NGN21,588,631 from your investors as capital investment then keep all the money saved. Like the NGN10,033,599. This saved money can be used as alternative bail out fund if anything ever go wrong or if you experience delay and couldn't pay up your interest as promised. Rather than disappoint your investors, you simply use the money saved.
Being smart like this, you can create a plan B within the same loan or investment received.

What I have just shown you is that the bulk expenditure on the farm (layers or broilers) is on feeds. If you can manage how you source your feeds, you will save more and make more profits too. The best way to do this is to make your feeds. I am tired of some persons thinking that this is a joke or impossible. So we are making you an offer of following you down to your farm and showing you how we do this thing. This is not free!!! In fact there is no way to say it, the price is HIGH. However, if you trust us, can read and follow instructions written in an eBook. Simply opt in for the "eBook guide package" which is affordable.

For any of our services contact us using the details on the signature just below this post.

In my next post I will show you further more how I can save cost on vaccines/medication, purchase of DOC, housing etc

Live smart!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 11:04pm On Oct 17, 2017
Hey everyone! I have decided to change my profile picture to the one showing me. I want to make sure you know who is talking every time you read any of my post. I no be ghost. Lols

Also, I want everyone feeling comfortable reading and applying what he/she learns from this thread and not to feel intimidated or pushed to buy some eBook (as the former profile picture might seem). If you ever decide to transact with us, it will be because you have developed that trust without being lured and that you have made the choice yourself.

I will add my Facebook name to the signature so you can also connect with me on that platform if you so wish.

Attached to this post is my picture.

Cheers!

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 10:00pm On Oct 19, 2017
Hey guys!

As a way of saying thank you to all those following this thread. I like to open up a question and answer session on Saturday 21st October 2017. The session will run from 9am -9pm.

You can ask any question regarding poultry farming and I will be here to answer in the very best way I can.

It will also be interactive. So everyone can share their thoughts and experiences.

I will open the sessions on that day then we begin.

If you would like this. Please indicate.

#AskExcel

Live smart

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 9:46am On Oct 21, 2017
Hello!

Do you have a dream of becoming a smart farmer like me?

Do you see yourself a millionaire running a poultry farm with ease before 2017 says goodbye?

Are you already into poultry farming but have difficulties making HUGE profits after all the hard work?

Have you gone into poultry before and had to leave because of loses incurred?

Are you confuse of where to start or even afraid of starting?

Do you see Capital as your major set back deciding whether to become a poultry farmer or not?

Are you always procrastinating on starting every time?

What are your fears when it comes to poultry farming?

Share!

Ask me anything.

Rules:
- please ask only poultry related questions

- please ask each question separately i.e a comment to a question. Make 10 comments if you have 10 questions. This will make it easy for me to give detail answers to all your questions. Also others can easily see each question and avoid repetitions of same.

- ask all questions on this thread.

The session ends by 9pm today.

Feel free to share.

Let's Go!!!

#AskExcel
#CornucopiaFarms

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 5:07pm On Oct 25, 2017
Few days ago, I had 2 women visit my farm. They seemed like they have found gold. We got conversing and I later found out that these women had trekked from far distance (a distance you run for NGN80 on a bike in the North isn't small) stopping at each point asking for a poultry farm where they could buy at least 4 weeks old chickens. They couldn't find any and were continued directed to my farm. I was shocked because all these years we had lots of poultry farms within the area. In fact when I joined in 3 years ago, I was almost discouraged to start because I thought the market was already crowded and it will take time for me to even get noticed talk less build a steady income poultry business.

Frankly, I never took notice of what my competition was doing or not. I don't believe that someone has to go down for you to rise. These past years, I was only focused on building that business and making sure my customers get the best prices possible. Something they can't find anywhere easily. We also make sure our birds are healthy for consumption by our customers.

One time, upon experimentation, I made a feed formula that resulted in the same weight of chickens we sell at 7 weeks in 5 weeks. We sold off those chickens at their 5 weeks! I felt I have found a breakthrough! I later discovered through my Vet. Dr. Friend, Abioye Yetunde, that such chickens can be cancerous to consumers. Abioye Yetunde, had done a review on my eBook "Excel's guide to making your poultry feeds" and mentioned this in our chats. That day, I decided NEVER to sell chickens at 5 weeks old for consumption no matter how heavy they are because it is not just about making money but what one is actually selling. So I developed other methods and now I am naming name as Adam did. Lols

No I am not trying to sell you an eBook.

After those women left, I went on asking questions. I needed to know why these farmers had closed up or didn't stock this season. I mean any poultry farmer knows that the December market is HUGE! Why should anyone not want to take advantage of it? What happened to these farmers?

I just found out that my farm that came from behind is the largest in the area. What?

Those who stocked couldn't even afford 200 birds any more and these are farms that run over 400 birds before. What the hell happened?

I will tell you what happened:

-feed prices went up increasing cost of production
-doc prices went up. DOC now sells at NGN270, NGN280 even NGN300. At NGN300 you will buy a carton (i.e 50 birds) for NGN15,000.

If one buys at that price, how much will he spend on feeds, Vaccination and medicines?

If you're buying now, how do you expect to compete with those guys who will be showing off heavier weights at incredibly cheap prices during Christmas market? How do you expect to compete with them when your birds are only 8 weeks old especially if you're unable to grow reasonable weight by then?

This thing is no joke.

Biko, if you want to farm, farm right and farm smart. Stop wasting money and energy.

I love you. I want you to succeed.

Please don't close up like others.

Live smart!!!

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by MasExcel19(m): 5:00pm On Oct 27, 2017
Agriculture is taking a new phase in Nigeria and we are a part of the revolution.

No longer shall agriculturists be perceived poor, dirty or anything small.

No longer shall we accept any image less than GREATNESS.

We are taking over! We are bringing super technology into agriculture. We are bringing agriculture into computers and much more. We're rebranding the phase of agricultural practices in Nigeria.

We are bringing agriculture to your door step.

Do you wish to be a part of this revolution?

Join us!

#YFarm
#United4Food
#YouthAtTheCentreOfAgriture
#YFarmAgricFestiver

Re: How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? by crro: 10:43pm On May 16, 2018
What is doc ? Does it stand for eggs ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wonders Of Nature In My Farm / How To Do Fresh Pepper Farming? / US Mission Shares Photos Of Ikun Dairy Farm In Ekiti State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 227
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.