Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,680 members, 7,823,921 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Wizkid Thinks His 12track Album Is An “EP,” Fights With A Radio Host In Usa(pic) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Wizkid Thinks His 12track Album Is An “EP,” Fights With A Radio Host In Usa(pic) (1289 Views)

Nigerians React As Blac Chyna Fights With Someone Yabbing Her In Abuja / Wizkid's Son, Boluwatife Balogun Is Gay? Wizkid Thinks So / Tonto Dikeh Angry As Efe’s Album Is Crushed By Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wizkid Thinks His 12track Album Is An “EP,” Fights With A Radio Host In Usa(pic) by yankeevibe: 8:21pm On Jul 19, 2017
Wizkid, the Nigerian pop star who appeared on Drake's otherworldly smash single "One Dance," released his fourth album last week, entitled Sounds From the Other Side, but in an interview with Ebro Darden on Beats 1, the 27-year-old refused to call the release an 'album,' instead choosing to label it an 'EP.' 

To be clear, at 12 tracks long and with a running time of just over 39 minutes, Sounds From the Other Side is not an EP—it literally cannot be an EP.

An EP, short for extended play, was originally created to house a collection of songs greater than a single but lesser than a full-length LP (or long play). Depending on the era and the country of release, the definition of what constitutes an EP versus an LP has changed quite a bit over the past seven decades, but as recent as 2015, it was broadly defined as a collection of four records or less and approximately 25 minutes in length.

Album versus EP, EP versus mixtape, for sale versus for free—it's all meaningless in 2017 and the reason is streaming. 

When music had to fit onto one side of a piece of vinyl, one side of a cassette tape or on a compact disc, an artist had to either limit the number of songs that made a project or release a double-album. But when every song that is created for a project can be made available for stream through an on-demand service, you get Drake's More Life "playlist," a new-age marketing gimmick afforded by the streaming era.

We'll excuse Wizkid for not understanding the difference between an album and an EP—at this point, it's nothing more than semantics anyway—but one thing that must be cleared up is what an EP is not (and yes, I'm looking at you Ebro).

In the open, Ebro says to Wizkid, "I see why you're calling this an EP, it's a collection of all of the work that you've done over the last couple of years [while] breaking into America." By definition, a project that is comprised of a collection of random, assorted songs or singles isn't an EP, it's a compilation. The only way that a compilation could technically also be considered an EP would be if the runtime for the project came in under the aforementioned 25-minute threshold.

Ultimately, Wizkid's ability to break into the U.S. market without sitting shotgun next to Drake won't have anything to do with the way he labels his releases.

Is the music great? That is all that matters

https://ambervibe..com/2017/07/wizkid-thinks-his-12-track-album-is-ep.html?m=1

Re: Wizkid Thinks His 12track Album Is An “EP,” Fights With A Radio Host In Usa(pic) by Franzinni: 8:27pm On Jul 19, 2017
See the value of education? You no know the meaning of ep... E just sweet for ear to call nah him the guy just call him album ep. Come go yankee go fall your hand... It is well...

Small time them go argue say artist and artiste and musician nah the same thing.

1 Like

Re: Wizkid Thinks His 12track Album Is An “EP,” Fights With A Radio Host In Usa(pic) by Holuwadamilarey(m): 8:37pm On Jul 19, 2017
its actually an Ep

cold play dropped an ep days ago and it was more than 25 minutes , so wat are u talking abt
Re: Wizkid Thinks His 12track Album Is An “EP,” Fights With A Radio Host In Usa(pic) by verygudbadguy(m): 8:55pm On Jul 19, 2017
Fight? undecided
I can't see anything of such here. I can only see two adults smiling. You can label your thread whatever you wants it though.
Re: Wizkid Thinks His 12track Album Is An “EP,” Fights With A Radio Host In Usa(pic) by mgdimagaladima(m): 9:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
No be him sing them ? Abeg u should free my starboy

if he like he can call it single track ..cox na him get em
Re: Wizkid Thinks His 12track Album Is An “EP,” Fights With A Radio Host In Usa(pic) by cassidy1996(m): 2:15am On Jul 20, 2017
I just like the guy
Re: Wizkid Thinks His 12track Album Is An “EP,” Fights With A Radio Host In Usa(pic) by OKorowanta: 4:19am On Jul 20, 2017
verygudbadguy:
Fight? undecided
I can't see anything of such here. I can only see two adults smiling. You can label your thread whatever you wants it though.

You dey mind dis op undecided
He is stuck on Djibouti weed.
That interview was so smooth.

(1) (Reply)

Don Williams Dead At 78 / Viral Photo Of Young Nigerian Slay Mamas Smoking Weed / Which Of These Nigerian Musician's Lie Was Epic? - See Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.