Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,120 members, 7,821,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police (16109 Views)

BREAKING: Lagos Assembly Sets Up Committee To Probe Ambode / Senate Sets Up Committee To Investigate Senator Abbo / Buhari Appoints Aisha As Member Of Committee For Elimination Of Drug Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by olowookerekemi(f): 9:07pm On Jul 20, 2017
OK
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by PenSniper: 9:10pm On Jul 20, 2017
ChangetheChange:

grin grin grin

Confused people

As election is approaching, they want to deceive voters again

Imagine Rochas Okorocha with a State Police, he would have eliminated PDP members in IMO State

Imagine Aregbeshola with a State Police, he would have locked civili servants and pensioners in Osun state over his inability to pay them their salaries and pension, he would have locked up Senator Adeleke, Davido's Father, LAUTECH students and PDP members

Imagine a Wike with a State Police, Amaechi will never enter Rivers State again, he would flee for his life

Imagine El Rufai with a State Police means a governor like El Rufai will beome Adolf Hitler of Kano State, he would have crushed and wiped out Senator Sheu Sanni, Christians in Kaduna and Opposition party members with his State police

Imagine ObasekiPhilip Shuaibu/Oshiomole with a State Police they would have wipe put PDP members in Edo State

Imagine Okowa with State Police, he would have eliminated APC members in Delta State.

No to State Politics, our Politicians will use it to witch hunt, victimize, kill and massacre.

Imagine Yayaha Bello of Kogi State with State Police, he would have ordered the secret extra judicial killing of Dino Melaye

P-of-C - Adulf Hitler of Kaduna State, you mean ?
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 20, 2017
ChangetheChange:

grin grin grin

Confused people

Imagine Rochas Okorocha with a State Police, he would have eliminated PDP members in IMO State

Imagine Aregbeshola with a State Police, he would have locked civili servants and pensioners in Osun state over his inability to pay them their salaries and pension, he would have locked up Senator Adeleke, Davido's Father, LAUTECH students and PDP members

Imagine a Wike with a State Police, Amaechi will never enter Rivers State again, he would flee for his life

Imagine El Rufai with a State Police means a governor like El Rufai will beome Adolf Hitler of Kano State, he would have crushed and wiped out Senator Sheu Sanni, Christians in Kaduna and Opposition party members with his State police

Imagine ObasekiPhilip Shuaibu/Oshiomole with a State Police they would have wipe put PDP members in Edo State

Imagine Okowa with State Police, he would have eliminated APC members in Delta State.

No to State Politics, our Politicians will use it to witch hunt, victimize, kill and massacre.

Imagine Yayaha Bello of Kogi State with State Police, he would have ordered the secret extra judicial killing of Dino Melaye

El Rufai ... Kano State.

WOW

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Habibsocial080: 9:12pm On Jul 20, 2017
Blue3k:
Interesting to see how this issue is developing. Local police run by LGA's would be better for nation. It's closer to the people and less prone the politics from state. The language of constitutional amendment shouldn't be too specific on how every state will run its police. It should be left to various communities to figure what's best for them.

Shameless plug: Police decentralization policy
I smell barbecue
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 9:13pm On Jul 20, 2017
ChangetheChange:

grin grin grin

Confused people

Then make sure the police commissioner is not appointed by the governor but elected bybtge people instead.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by IBBG(m): 9:13pm On Jul 20, 2017
long over due
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by dust144(m): 9:13pm On Jul 20, 2017
Is that your final answer?
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 9:15pm On Jul 20, 2017
Optional2:
just imagine police in kogi state going for strike due to no payment of salaries....
Our mumu still never ripe?

Then you make sure the commissioner is not appointed by the governor but elected by the people.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by BlackMbakara1(m): 9:17pm On Jul 20, 2017
Them never fit pay teachers and other civil servants finish, they want to add more sorrows to people...

They should pay all the civil servant first including arrears before embarking on a futile mission...so purpose of witch-hunting their opponents.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by diegwu01: 9:17pm On Jul 20, 2017
So if State Police is created, the present crop of policemen would become FBI and automatically start wearing Suit grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 20, 2017
Narldon:
State Police?

Please we're fed-up with all this change!

Biko, Leave our FEDERAL police alone ooo..

The devil we know are better than the STATE POLICE we don't know..

angry angry

it will turn state wars.. leave d grey headed buffons

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by YelloweWest: 9:21pm On Jul 20, 2017
State police will crush opposition. We are not ready for such
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 9:21pm On Jul 20, 2017
Narldon:
State Police?

Please we're fed-up with all thI is change!

Biko, Leave our FEDERAL police alone ooo..

The devil we know are better than the STATE POLICE we don't know..

angry angry

But your federal police model is not working. Why keep trying the same thing over and over again despite the fact that it's not working? The say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecttjng different results. The federal model is not working plain and simple. Ideally, what they should do is delegate policing to the local govts while the police chief will be voted on every four years by the people. That's how things should work.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by YelloweWest: 9:22pm On Jul 20, 2017
Integrityfarms:
State police is a bold step to restructuring
How
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by AngelicBeing: 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2017
Hmmmm
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Blue3k(m): 9:26pm On Jul 20, 2017
diegwu01:
So if State Police is created, the present crop of policemen would become FBI and automatically start wearing Suit grin grin grin

Maybe or they will keep some to be specialized. Then they can transfer others to different security agencies. The rest can be hired to be state police.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by MTKbudapest(m): 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2017
state police or no state police all i know is that nigeria is dead and buried
im still waiting for 1 of oct.
To hoist my NigerDelta Flag.
F u c k nigeria!
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Narldon: 9:30pm On Jul 20, 2017
davidif:

But your federal police model is not working. Why keep trying the same thing over and over again despite the fact that it's not working? The say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecttjng different results. The federal model is not working plain and simple. Ideally, what they should do is delegate policing to the local govts while the police chief will be voted on every four years by the people. That's how things should work.

I do understand the structure of the purported State Police...

But my point remains;

What Substantial goal/target/agenda from the APC-led Govt. has ever emerged and executed effectively for the benefit of Nigerians?
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 20, 2017
Narldon:

But my point remains;

What Substantial goal/target/agenda from the APC-led Govt. has ever emerged and executed effectively for the benefit of Nigerians?

Oh my world..what brilliant question

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by cristianisraeli: 9:32pm On Jul 20, 2017
governors looking for ways to continue their dictatorship..restructure this police we have now b4 thinking of a police u can command to do ur biding..nigeria is not ripe enough for state police.the governors will abuse it
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by wink2015(m): 9:35pm On Jul 20, 2017
The 2014 National Conference report stipulates that states in Nigeria is free to establish a state police if they so wish.

But I am wondering how poor state like Jigawa, Zamfara, Yobe, Borno etc can fund a state force especially by the time the federal allocation stop coming from the federal government in Abuja.

I think our political class are dilly-dalling on restructuring. They should sit up and quickly implement in full the national conference report.

No time to waste!
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by SmartMugu: 9:36pm On Jul 20, 2017
Blue3k:

Understandable that's why local police run by LGA's are preferred. You vote in a sheriff you like to carry out law enforcement. This way the stay accountable to you directly. Every issue with police is pretty much domiciledone to local government so you don't need state wide majority to make a change.
That's how it's done in the US. Each county with its own police, state troopers on major roads and the feds handling federal issues. Each of them separated from eachother and no single individual solely controls them all.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by PDPGuy: 9:36pm On Jul 20, 2017
ChangetheChange:

grin grin grin

Confused people

The points you've raised are the reasons why I prefer a decentralization of the Police Force. I'll put forth the following suggestions:

- The governors, who are constitutionally recognized as the chief security officers of their states, should have statutory authority to deploy officers in any part the state in the event of a total breakdown of law and order.

- The State commissioners of police and the serving DPOs should be answerable to the state houses of assembly. The commissioner of police shall be required to brief the Houses of Assembly at least thrice in 12 months on the general security situation of the state.

- A police commissioner and/or DPO can be removed from office by a 2/3 vote of the House of Assembly.

- A state shall be responsible for no less than 30% of the funding for police formations within the state. And such funding shall be by way of first line charge from the consolidated revenue fund.

- The federal government shall still be responsible for training officers.

- Only officers who are residents of their states (i.e. have served in that state for no less than 5 years) should be considered for the CP, DCP and ACP positions.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Blue3k(m): 9:40pm On Jul 20, 2017
SmartMugu:

That's how it's done in the US. Each county with its own police, state troopers on major roads and the feds handling federal issues. Each of them separated from eachother and no single individual solely controls them all.

Yup that's what I based my stuff on. I had to change it up a little bit since we don't have counties. Then state troopers might be redundant if we have FRSC doing that effectively.

Narldon:

But my point remains;

All they need to do is devolve power let states decide. If your state is dumb they will screw it up themselves. I'm guessing they are going off of 2014 confab anyway. That's where idea was brought up.

The only thing they did OK was mining policies. The Ondo bitumen deal was APC policy.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by nabiz(m): 9:47pm On Jul 20, 2017
wink2015:
The 2014 National Conference report stipulates that states in Nigeria is free to establish a state police if they so wish.

But I am wondering how poor state like Jigawa, Zamfara, Yobe, Borno etc can fund a state force especially by the time the federal allocation stop coming from the federal government in Abuja.

I think our political class are dilly-dalling on restructuring. They should sit up and quickly implement in full the national conference report.

No time to waste!
don't you known that necessity is the mother of invention. Let every state contcontrol their resources and check out the rate of growth this country will experience with a very short period. The truth is that some state will be richer than other but in long run Nigeria will be great, and you will see a genieu love in this country. Do you think for instance Anambara state will watch a state like borno to suffer without giving them aid.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by nnokwa042(m): 9:52pm On Jul 20, 2017
sarrki:
I fear for state Police

Having said that its a welcome idea

state police is not good for we Igbo's, if musibau stole from me in Lagos or umaru attack me with dagger in kano state who will I report to? thier brothers in uniform? God forbid I no support state police oooh
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Xfemt(m): 10:00pm On Jul 20, 2017
ChangetheChange:

grin grin grin

Confused people

so wht do u want
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 20, 2017
Blue3k:

Understandable that's why local police run by LGA's are preferred. You vote in a sheriff you like to carry out law enforcement. This way the stay accountable to you directly. Every issue with police is pretty much domiciledone to local government so you don't need state wide majority to make a change.
does the LGA hv any autonomy in Nigeria. Hell no. State controls dem and their money
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Blue3k(m): 10:22pm On Jul 20, 2017
Sniper12:
does the LGA hv any autonomy in Nigeria. Hell no. State controls dem and their money

True that's also a thing restructuring should take care of. Some members of NASS already expressed interest in issue.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Maduawuchukwu(m): 10:25pm On Jul 20, 2017
A
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Realdeals(m): 10:28pm On Jul 20, 2017
Regional police is better, most of the Governor's are thugs.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Iamsammy(m): 10:29pm On Jul 20, 2017
ChangetheChange:

grin grin grin

Confused people

it Neva work day way man, indirectly Lagos is running a state police. Every personnel from mopol 49 and counter terrorist unit collect allowance from Lagos every month, u Don ever see ambode intimidate any1 with police, let's b positive for once plz

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019: Atiku Abubakar To Formally Declare In Two Weeks / Fela Durotoye Flags-off Campaign, Feeds, Clothes Over 500 Less Privileged In AJ. / Osinbajo And Fake News Are Co-joined Twins - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.