Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police (16124 Views)

BREAKING: Lagos Assembly Sets Up Committee To Probe Ambode / Senate Sets Up Committee To Investigate Senator Abbo / Buhari Appoints Aisha As Member Of Committee For Elimination Of Drug Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by olushevy05: 10:35pm On Jul 20, 2017
ChangetheChange:

grin grin grin

Confused people

As election is approaching, they want to deceive voters again

Imagine Rochas Okorocha with a State Police, he would have eliminated PDP members in IMO State

Imagine Aregbeshola with a State Police, he would have locked civili servants and pensioners in Osun state over his inability to pay them their salaries and pension, he would have locked up Senator Adeleke, Davido's Father, LAUTECH students and PDP members

Imagine a Wike with a State Police, Amaechi will never enter Rivers State again, he would flee for his life

Imagine El Rufai with a State Police means a governor like El Rufai will beome Adolf Hitler of Kano State, he would have crushed and wiped out Senator Sheu Sanni, Christians in Kaduna and Opposition party members with his State police

Imagine ObasekiPhilip Shuaibu/Oshiomole with a State Police they would have wipe put PDP members in Edo State

Imagine Okowa with State Police, he would have eliminated APC members in Delta State.

No to State Politics, our Politicians will use it to witch hunt, victimize, kill and massacre.

Imagine Yayaha Bello of Kogi State with State Police, he would have ordered the secret extra judicial killing of Dino Melaye

[b][/b] this is the post I respected most since I have been a member of nairaland. I love your submission. Permit me to post it in fb
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Isahalbash(m): 10:51pm On Jul 20, 2017
YorubaNigga:
State Police setup can NEVER work in Nigeria!

It works in US 'cause mostly Americans are Whites. Contrarily, Nigeria is made up of different tribes with so much hatred built-in 'cause of bad and unfavorable governance. Imagine a Igbo man arrested in North by state police along with an Hausa man with same offence, who do you think would receive pardon and get jail sentence respectively?

Nigeria should forget this kinda advancement. It can only work if eventually the South breaks apart from the North

Imagine a Hausa man arrested in Southeast by state police along with an Igbo man with same offence, who do you think would receive pardon and get jail sentence respectively?
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by alid8788(m): 11:29pm On Jul 20, 2017
the problem of Nigeria is state governors. the problem of this country is not because anyone is marginalising anyone, the federal government is not the problem of Nigeria. if federal government allow state governors to have state police ( tugs) then we are finished. we are always looking on to USA, forgetting that 1776and 1960 is not the same. just because USA has state police, Nigeria want state police. with the type of mindset our governors have, and their level of corruption, given them police is giving them power to kill us more. what benefit will state get if they have state police? these governors don't have anything good for the masses. may God save naija

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by omohayek: 11:34pm On Jul 20, 2017
nnokwa042:
state police is not good for we Igbo's, if musibau stole from me in Lagos or umaru attack me with dagger in kano state who will I report to? thier brothers in uniform? God forbid I no support state police oooh
You write as if this isn't already the case. What good did the federal police do for all those Igbos who have been lynched in the north over false accusations of "anti Islamic" activities? And what about the federal police who shot down unarmed IPOB protesters in the SE? Where exactly do you think those policemen were drawn from?

As blue3k and davidif have both mentioned multiple times already - though most commenters were clearly too lazy to read what they had to say - the ideal should be for the main body of police to operate at the local government rather than state level, and for the head of that local police to be elected and directly accountable to LGA residents, not to some governor. This doesn't prevent the establishment of a state-level police force, but it should not be the primary means of policing, it must have clear limits on when and how it can interfere with local police investigations, and both the federal police and the state house of assembly should continue to exercise oversight on this state police force. The clear demarcation of authority, in combination with oversight from multiple sources beyond the state governor's control, should be sufficient to ensure that state police do not simply become tools for governors to tyrannize their states.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Optional2(f): 11:38pm On Jul 20, 2017
davidif:

Then you make sure the commissioner is not appointed by the governor but elected by the people.

the ones we elected what happened to them, they rigged the election and pick they own candidate.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jul 20, 2017
`
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Willybos(m): 12:00am On Jul 21, 2017
IllegalMoney:

grin grin grin

U are learner and myopic in ur thinking.
it is crystal clear u are an APC zombie, who is blinded by political sentiments

The most dangerous and ruthless Governor in Nigeria right now is Nasir Hell Rufai, he is part of the Aso Rock Cabal holding Buhari hostage Iin London and preventing Osibanjo from perfroming his full function as an acting President.

Get that into ur Zombie skull
Yes, i blive ur comment... Nasir El Rufai is the most bastard governor we have in this present administration!!
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by engineerboat(m): 12:34am On Jul 21, 2017
Blue3k:

The scenario crazy but possible. The federal government still exist to investigate. The police department be sued and State house of assembly can regulate how police operate. The political influence is why police should be local.

How many states have Domocratically elected LGA executives

Nonbe caretaker s all of them dey put.

And who controls the caretakers

Nothing bad in state police. But Nigeria is not ripe for stare police
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 12:35am On Jul 21, 2017
Optional2:

the ones we elected what happened to them, they rigged the election and pick they own candidate.

Police commissioners are not elected in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 12:37am On Jul 21, 2017
Narldon:

What Substantial goal/target/agenda from the APC-led Govt. has ever emerged and executed effectively for the benefit of Nigerians?

Well you are asking the wrong person. I am only talking about the localization of the police force not about a political party.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Blue3k(m): 2:27am On Jul 21, 2017
engineerboat:

How many states have Domocratically elected LGA executives

Nonbe caretaker s all of them dey put.

And who controls the caretakers

None that's a bit hyperbole? I said local for a reason. NASS has 23 separate bill over "Restructuring" adding more over LG autonomy won hurt. In fact this discussion about restructuring without giving this tier of government fiscal autonomy to carry out jobs is pointless.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by neatideas: 5:11am On Jul 21, 2017
Community police is preferable like as in London. They don't carry gun, they can arrest and call for back up as need may arise.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by orisa37: 5:29am On Jul 21, 2017
Nonsense start up. What concerns the IGP in the devolution of his Powers and why should Zamfara Governor, a Fulani state and Okorocha, a Fulani Herdsmen's supporter be in the meeting?
The NASS is scratching the Topic. The NASS is not serious and not bothered about HomeLand Security.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by naijagobetter(m): 7:42am On Jul 21, 2017
A good development, what worries me is the funding and the would-be police salary and allowances, #18,000 minimum wage that many states cant pay, am afraid they wil have to get their salary from bribes extortions etc. From folks. And during campaigns/election, God help the opposition/rival.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 8:33am On Jul 21, 2017
YorubaNigga:
State Police setup can NEVER work in Nigeria!

It works in US 'cause mostly Americans are Whites. Contrarily, Nigeria is made up of different tribes with so much hatred built-in 'cause of bad and unfavorable governance. Imagine a Igbo man arrested in North by state police along with an Hausa man with same offence, who do you think would receive pardon and get jail sentence respectively?

Wrong! When the British were a in charge we used a localized police force so what are you talking about? Where there is a will there is a way. Also don't forget that We are talking about policing here not the courts. It's only the courts that have the right to sentence someone to jail NOT THE POLICE. Their job is to arrest and not to do the sentencing. Big difference.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 8:37am On Jul 21, 2017
YelloweWest:
State police will crush opposition. We are not ready for such

Nope. We are ready for such. The current model is broken. We need a localized police force where the chief of police is voted by the people and not appointed by the governor.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 8:38am On Jul 21, 2017
connectpoint:

it will turn state wars.. leave d grey headed buffons

Wrong! The current model is broken. What we need is a localized police force where the chief of police is voted by the people not appointed by the governor.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 8:40am On Jul 21, 2017
cristianisraeli:
governors looking for ways to continue their dictatorship..restructure this police we have now b4 thinking of a police u can command to do ur biding..nigeria is not ripe enough for state police.the governors will abuse it

Then make the police commissioner role electible by the people every four years instead of being appointed by the governor.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 8:43am On Jul 21, 2017
PDPGuy:

The points you've raised are the reasons why I prefer a decentralization of the Police Force. I'll put forth the following suggestions:

- The governors, who are constitutionally recognized as the chief security officers of their states, should have statutory authority to deploy officers in any part the state in the event of a total breakdown of law and order.

- The State commissioners of police and the serving DPOs should be answerable to the state houses of assembly. The commissioner of police shall be required to brief the Houses of Assembly at least thrice in 12 months on the general security situation of the state.

- A police commissioner and/or DPO can be removed from office by a 2/3 vote of the House of Assembly.

- A state shall be responsible for no less than 30% of the funding for police formations within the state. And such funding shall be by way of first line charge from the consolidated revenue fund.

- The federal government shall still be responsible for training officers.

- Only officers who are residents of their states (i.e. have served in that state for no less than 5 years) should be considered for the CP, DCP and ACP positions.

Actually a better model would be a local police force instead of a state police force with the local head of police elected by the people in the community and with all of the conditions you states above.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by YelloweWest: 8:48am On Jul 21, 2017
davidif:

Nope. We are ready for such. The current model is broken. We need a localized police force where the chief of police is voted by the people and not appointed by the governor.
Such election will be rigged by the governors!
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 8:49am On Jul 21, 2017
nabiz:
don't you known that necessity is the mother of invention. Let every state contcontrol their resources and check out the rate of growth this country will experience with a very short period. The truth is that some state will be richer than other but in long run Nigeria will be great, and you will see a genieu love in this country. Do you think for instance Anambara state will watch a state like borno to suffer without giving them aid.

Abi o! The only way for a child to learn how to walk is to allow them to walk by themselves. They might fall a couple of times but you have to allow them till they figure it out. The best way for someone to grow up is to give them responsibility. That's why they need to cut off allocations asap, get rid of all this excessive states (and of LGA's) that we have by merging them.into regions. Then force them to stand on their own.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 8:51am On Jul 21, 2017
nnokwa042:
state police is not good for we Igbo's, if musibau stole from me in Lagos or umaru attack me with dagger in kano state who will I report to? thier brothers in uniform? God forbid I no support state police oooh

The state police force do not have to be from that state they just have to be accountable to the people from that state.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 8:57am On Jul 21, 2017
Iamsammy:
it Neva work day way man, indirectly Lagos is running a state police. Every personnel from mopol 49 and counter terrorist unit collect allowance from Lagos every month, u Don ever see ambode intimidate any1 with police, let's b positive for once plz

Gbam!! Don't mind Nigerians and their scare mongering. Them too dey fear Wetin dem never see. When you bring up a new idea They always shoot it down. Saying it will never work in Nigeria as if the status quo is working. In other to progress in life, one has to be willing to take risks and not stay in the same place for great that it won't work out. Almost every time I am on nairaland bring up new ideas it's always the same push back "it won't work in nigeria", "Nigeria is not yanki" or "Nigerians are too tribalistic" etc. But if you tell them to bring there own ideas they can't even think of anything.
Fear mongering does not always lead to good policy.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 8:59am On Jul 21, 2017
Isahalbash:

Imagine a Hausa man arrested in Southeast by state police along with an Igbo man with same offence, who do you think would receive pardon and get jail sentence respectively?

First of all, a police man has no right to sentence anyone to prison that's the job of the courts. The police man's job is to arrest.

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 9:03am On Jul 21, 2017
alid8788:
the problem of Nigeria is state governors. the problem of this country is not because anyone is marginalising anyone, the federal government is not the problem of Nigeria. if federal government allow state governors to have state police ( tugs) then we are finished. we are always looking on to USA, forgetting that 1776and 1960 is not the same. just because USA has state police, Nigeria want state police. with the type of mindset our governors have, and their level of corruption, given them police is giving them power to kill us more. what benefit will state get if they have state police? these governors don't have anything good for the masses. may God save naija

First of all America was not always this advanced and back then just like today policing was left to the local communities with the head of police usually elected by the people.
Secondly, when the British were still in charge, we had local police and it worked.
Thirdly to stop police doing the bidding of the governor, you make the police commissioner elected by the people and not the state governor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by PDPGuy: 9:04am On Jul 21, 2017
davidif:

Actually a better model would be a local police force instead of a state police force with the local head of police elected by the people in the community and with all of the conditions you states above.

Election of an LG head officer (or Area commander) would bring unnecessary acrimony within the ranks of the Nigeria Police Force.

But I believe that the Local Government Councils could exercise effective oversight over the local police formations within their domain. For instance, the Area commanders and DPOs could be required, by law, to brief LG councillors on police activities and the general security situation in the LG. Ditto for the CP to the House of Assembly.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 9:05am On Jul 21, 2017
Optional2:

Tell me what state in Nigeria are police commissioners elected by the people??

1 Like

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by Isahalbash(m): 9:08am On Jul 21, 2017
davidif:

First of all, a police man has no right to sentence anyone to prison that's the job of the courts. The police man's job is to arrest.

Not my words...check d person I quoted.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 9:12am On Jul 21, 2017
engineerboat:

Then when will it ever be? Aren't you people tired of mediocrity? You complain that the police force cannot protect people from cattle herders yet when they offer changes you complain that it won't work. When will you people stop being afraid of taking risks and making changes instead of the tired old tropes "Nigeria is not ready for state police", "the governor's would use them as their personal army" blah blah blah.
A highly trained localized police force accountable to the people in the community is the best way to ensure the security of the people not some distant, inefficient, hyper corrupt police force far off in Abuja that is only accountable to the federal govt.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 9:14am On Jul 21, 2017
naijagobetter:
A good development, what worries me is the funding and the would-be police salary and allowances, #18,000 minimum wage that many states cant pay, am afraid they wil have to get their salary from bribes extortions etc. From folks. And during campaigns/election, God help the opposition/rival.

This police men don't have to be full time police men you know? They can have other jobs and businesses as long as they disclose it before hand. If they don't and they are caught then it's a fireable offense with possible jail time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 9:16am On Jul 21, 2017
PDPGuy:

Election of an LG head officer (or Area commander) would bring unnecessary acrimony within the ranks of the Nigeria Police Force.

But I believe that the Local Government Councils could exercise effective oversight over the local police formations within their domain. For instance, the Area commanders and DPOs could be required, by law, to brief LG councillors on police activities and the general security situation in the LG. Ditto for the CP to the House of Assembly.

What I am saying is that there should be no Nigerian police force anymore. Policing should be localized with the state over seeing them.
Re: Governors Forum Set Up Committee For State Police by davidif: 9:18am On Jul 21, 2017
YelloweWest:

Such election will be rigged by the governors!

We are talking non-partisan elections here. In other words they must not run under any party or be a member of any party to run for the position.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yul Edochie Cast His Vote (video) / Saraki, Oloriegbe: PDP Agent Refuses To Attest To The Result, As APC, LP Sign / APC inaugurates state chairmen in Abuja (Kano & Sokoto States exempted)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.