Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising (14900 Views)

What Is The Difference Between A Current Account And A Savings Account? / Are You Into Printing And Advertising? / The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 8:21pm On Jul 21, 2017
natznext:
Quite Insightful Textbook texts, but just for textbook.

Advertising is an ATL marketing communication tool, as there are other branches and tools of marketing.

According to wiki: Advertising is an audio or visual form of marketing communication that employs an openly sponsored, nonpersonal message to promote or sell a product, service or idea. Sponsors of advertising are often businesses who wish to promote their products or services.

A Business could do all that was mentioned in the last 4 paragraphs and the product or service won't still lift off the shelves,

Marketing goes wayyy beyond all you just mentioned, we are talking branding, Marketing funnels, MOTs, perception management, consumer brand experience, conversion-loyalty-advocacy, Loyalty reward schemes n so on

There are different meanings to the concept of the two variables.
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 8:22pm On Jul 21, 2017
rekeson:
As an authority in the field of marketing (BSc Marketing), the difference between marketing and advertising is same as the difference between marriage and sex.

Advertising is just a function of marketing, just as sex is just one of the functions of marriage.

So advertising is one of the tools used in marketing...

Its the same thing I said bro, the full post is on my blog..I didn't paste everything here.
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 8:25pm On Jul 21, 2017
natznext:
Quite Insightful Textbook texts, but just for textbook.

Advertising is an ATL marketing communication tool, as there are other branches and tools of marketing.

According to wiki: Advertising is an audio or visual form of marketing communication that employs an openly sponsored, nonpersonal message to promote or sell a product, service or idea. Sponsors of advertising are often businesses who wish to promote their products or services.

A Business could do all that was mentioned in the last 4 paragraphs and the product or service won't still lift off the shelves,

Marketing goes wayyy beyond all you just mentioned, we are talking branding, Marketing funnels, MOTs, perception management, consumer brand experience, conversion-loyalty-advocacy, Loyalty reward schemes n so on

Sire I suggest you read the full post
http://nohitch.com/difference-between-marketing-and-advertising/
You'll see what you find.
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 8:31pm On Jul 21, 2017
refreshrate:

Finish. I don't understand the propaganda OP is trying to confuse people with

This is an excerpt from the full post on my blog which is equally on the post found on this thread.

"Therefore we can define advertising as a branch of marketing communication by businesses to promote, persuade and sell their products and services. That is to say advertising is one of the components of marketing."

Read the thread post properly bro, or you check the full post on my blog.

Tenkiu
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 8:31pm On Jul 21, 2017
donnie:
One is included in the other.

We have the 4Ps in Marketing.
1. Product
2. Place
3. Price
4. Promotion

Advertising falls under number 4.

Tenkiu.

This is an excerpt from the full post on my blog which is equally on the post found on this thread.

"Therefore we can define advertising as a branch of marketing communication by businesses to promote, persuade and sell their products and services. That is to say advertising is one of the components of marketing."

Read the thread post properly bro, or you check the full post on my blog.

Tenkiu
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 8:34pm On Jul 21, 2017
donnie:

Yh... sure. Just wanted to be as brief as possible. After the OPs long and almost confusing post.

If the post is confusing bro, it is not a problem,

I felt that way while researching

If you want a concised understanding of marketing mix, then I will prepare a post on that soon.. In fact it is in the pipeline.
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 8:36pm On Jul 21, 2017
prettyboi1989:
Simply put, marketing is the identification and anticipation of consumer needs for the creation and communication of value. while Advertising is a paid non personal form of promotion of goods and services by an identifiable sponsor.

This is where the prospective customers might turn on their TVs, radios or flip through newspapers and see the wonders of the Gionee M6 Plus in form of adverts. Here the company focuses on the strengths of that device which are of course its massive 6020 mAH battery and its reverse charging feature to power other devices with lesser battery capacity and how the customers will benefit more if they purchase that device. This serves as its ‘Unique Selling Point (USP)’ and of course the prospective customers will get their satisfaction and will be willing to part with their money for that device.

Therefore we can define advertising as a branch of marketing communication by businesses to promote, persuade and sell their products and services. That is to say advertising is one of the components of marketing.

The major aim of advertising is to influence a buyer by promoting a product or service. To achieve this aim, advertising emphasizes on innovative placing and media. In doing so, advertising creates awareness about what that product or service has to offer.

What's the difference sir?
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 8:44pm On Jul 21, 2017
steviano:

To me your write up is meaningless because the topic is wrong... It's like say the different between Sex and Marriage!
Advertising is just a tool use in marketing strategy that's all...
Advertising is an element of promotion, while promotion is one of the P s in marketing concept....
Marketing is any human activities directed towards the satisfaction of individual at a profit... That's the simplex definition of marketing... Be it tangible or intangible... You can market your smile (as long it brings satisfaction to some people and you also get reward from it) I go die is a marketer... Cos it give satisfaction to his target market at a *profit*
Advertising is any paid form of communication by an identify sponsor with the purpose of passing out information to his target audience... Smiple.....
Your topic should be different BTW advertising and Direct Marketing

Meaningless? No

Open to criticisms yes,

Your curled your definition of marketing from a book called marketing management
Where marketing was given many definitions with one aim.

Meeting the needs of the ever changing market.
Read the extra definitions he gave on marketing
Post attached

Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 9:04pm On Jul 21, 2017
lionshare:

@OP your third point is wrong...re-examine it.

With Place, Price, Product and Promotion, marketing targets the life span of a product.
If your PRICE is messed up your PRODUCT mightn't last long, in the target market (PLACE), as well using the wrong PROMOTION methods in the wrong market will kill the lifespan of a product ( imagine promoting a powerbank to a home that uses pure solar power system, at an arbitrary price for that matter, through the use of newspapers when they should be using PCs. Or imagine PROMOTING a Lister generator (PRODUCT) to a barber (PLACE), who makes like 2k daily..... Will it work at all)
That's for clarifying marketing on point 3

Now if I deal on mini water heater for showers (you simply charge it and attach to showers for your hot water), and I come to UniJos to sell only to you, because you placed an order some time and I come with like 50 pieces I will

1. Hit the right market (Jos which is known for excessive cold- Place)
2. Sell to you at student price (Right Price to make sure you even buy more if possible or considering your pocket as a student -PRICE)
3. I got the right PRODUCT for Jos cold wahala -(Product)
4 Promote standing at a particular area in your school that you guys hang out for fun or entertainment..

In expanding my market, if the product sells for 5k I'll give you at 3.5k. Why?

Do you know that the cheapest and most active advertising is the word of mouth or review of your customers?

If mama ezinne sells me soured beans for the first time, my friends will know from me that the beans soured and it killed my tummy.

But if I go there and she gives me good beans, the second time I might psych my friends into bringing their friends who will end up paying for me..
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 9:05pm On Jul 21, 2017
Philinho:
Thank you op....This is my course ..nice one
Glad it can serve as resource or reference material.
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 21, 2017
nohitch:

This is where the prospective customers might turn on their TVs, radios or flip through newspapers and see the wonders of the Gionee M6 Plus in form of adverts. Here the company focuses on the strengths of that device which are of course its massive 6020 mAH battery and its reverse charging feature to power other devices with lesser battery capacity and how the customers will benefit more if they purchase that device. This serves as its ‘Unique Selling Point (USP)’ and of course the prospective customers will get their satisfaction and will be willing to part with their money for that device.

Therefore we can define advertising as a branch of marketing communication by businesses to promote, persuade and sell their products and services. That is to say advertising is one of the components of marketing.

The major aim of advertising is to influence a buyer by promoting a product or service. To achieve this aim, advertising emphasizes on innovative placing and media. In doing so, advertising creates awareness about what that product or service has to offer.

What's the difference sir?
Yea advertising creates awareness.
Marketing starts from product development phase. you will observe some products (phone brands) have similar appearance & features. this is so because these brands evaluated their competitor's phones that are in high demand in the market and create something similar and with superior features. thats marketing at work. marketing and advertising go hand in hand. much of creation is achieved under marketing while selling is a function of advertising.
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 9:09pm On Jul 21, 2017
prettyboi1989:

Yea advertising creates awareness.
Marketing starts from product development phase. you will observe some products (phone brands) have similar appearance & features. this is so because these brands evaluated their competitor's phones that are in high demand in the market and create something similar and with superior features. thats marketing at work. marketing and advertising go hand in hand. much of creation is achieved under marketing while selling is a function of advertising.

Like you said sire, they go hand in hand, advertising can't exist if marketing hasn't been done...
Same as marketing will be pointless if advertising isn't done at the end..

Good argument though, you clarified your point now
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 9:10pm On Jul 21, 2017
janefrancisca:
His topic is not wrong at all. A layman sees marketing and advertising as the same thing, some who are educated too may think they mean the same thing. Its okay if such notions and perceptions are corrected.

You spoke my mind thanks ma'am.
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by donnie(m): 2:58am On Jul 24, 2017
nohitch:

If the post is confusing bro, it is not a problem,

I felt that way while researching

If you want a concised understanding of marketing mix, then I will prepare a post on that soon.. In fact it is in the pipeline.

Odiegwu
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by ebiem(m): 8:55am On Jul 25, 2017
the difference is very simple, advertising is one of the types of marketing communications
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by nohitch: 11:46am On Jul 25, 2017
donnie:

Odiegwu

O gunu?
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by Homeyfav: 1:11pm On Jun 17, 2019
Market and marketing are some of the key success factors of any business activity.  Without the existence of a market,  other factors like production,  personnel, finance and so on have little or no significance. Thus, market and marketing analysis are important aspects of a feasibility study as they reveal the marketing prospect for the product or service which have a direct bearing on  sales revenue and profitability of the proposed industry. Experience have shown that many projects have had to be abandoned on account of insufficient market prospects.
Re: The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising by eyems: 12:53pm On Feb 27, 2020
Adverts

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Set Up Poly Bag Factory / Lagosians In Doubt Over Relocation Of Mile 12 To Imota / From BUDDING To MEGA F.M.C.G DISTRIBUTORSHIP Status (Upcountry Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.