Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G (10965 Views)

Nigeria Not Ripe For Electronic Voting, Says INEC / Sheik Gumi: Kaduna Not Ripe For Muslim-muslim Governorship Ticket / Abdulmumuni Abiola: Nigeria Not Ripe For Youth President - MKO Abiola’s Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Urukpe: 7:46am On Jul 21, 2017
The Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, says Nigeria does not yet have the political maturity for state police.

Instead, the country should improve funding for the agency under the current arrangement, Mr. Idris stated this on Thursday in Abuja at a meeting with the Nigeria Governors Forum.

The I-G said he was not unaware of the agitations by some groups for the creation of state police, but argued that the federal police arrangement still remains the best.

“I sincerely believe that the Federal Police is still the best for the country and with improved funding the challenges of crime will be addressed.
“Those agitating for state police should consider the level of our political maturity,” he said, according to a statement by police spokesman, Jimoh Moshood.

He held the meeting to seek the support of the Forum for the passage of the Nigeria Police Trust Fund bill now before the National Assembly.

He said if the bill was passed, the police would have enough fund to effectively police the nation.
“Let me use this opportunity to appeal to your Excellencies to prevail on your representatives at the National Assembly to ensure the passage of the bill.

“It is my sincere believe that once the Police Trust Fund Bill is passed into law, the necessary finances required to effectively police the nation will be available,“ he said.

He said this would also reduce the pressure on the state governments in the funding of the Police.
Mr. Idris noted that the Nigeria Police were one of the “least paid” security organisations in the world in spite of operating under the UN ratio of 1:400.

He added that with the current ratio of 1: 602 the Nigeria Police was operating far below the United Nation’s ratio.

“About 10,000 police officers have been recruited recently to fill the gap but this is still a far cry.
“To meet up with the UN ratio of 1:400, the Nigeria police requires additional 155,000 Police Officers for the next five years,“he said.

He said a request to recruit 31,000 policemen had been sent to President Muhammadu Buhari for approval.
Mr. Idris said the current Police Management was making efforts to establish structures that would bridge the communication gap between the Police and members of the public.

Mr. Idris said one of such structures included the establishment of the Nigeria Police Broadcasting Service (NPBS).

“When commissioned, it will broadcast Nationwide on TV, Radio, online and the National Emergency Communication Command Control Centre (NEC4).
The Chairman of the Forum, Governor Abdul’Aziz Yari of Zamfara, who assured the police boss the support of the forum, said security was everybody’s business.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a public hearing on the Nigeria Police Trust Fund was organised by the House of Representatives Committee on Police Affairs on July 1.
The bill seeks to provide alternative funding for the police.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/237586-nigeria-not-ripe-state-police-i-g.html

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by OnowuOra(m): 7:48am On Jul 21, 2017
Power is sweet
In his mind, it's like

1 It can't be in my time that Nigeria will Institute state policing which is long overdue

2 How can I now control only Abuja and not all the country's police force

3. I no go gree joor

Sense fall on him.. Cus am in grudge with you

In other word OnowuOra has finally got FTC Title

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Nobody: 7:50am On Jul 21, 2017
He is right
Just imagine RIVERS STATE POLICE DIVISION controlled by wike dem go push APC go inside water

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by sarrki(m): 7:51am On Jul 21, 2017
I do agree with him

I will even add that we aren't mature for independent when we asked for it

South Africa is a case study

They are enjoining the white long stay to some extent today

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by CHOPUP411(m): 7:52am On Jul 21, 2017
This tribal mark almajiri police boss is drunk

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by sarrki(m): 7:57am On Jul 21, 2017
CHOPUP411:
This tribal mark almajiri police boss is drunk

It seems a lot of you guys don't know the problem that will come with this state police

The elites of the states will use it for vendetta and political tools

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by DickDastardly2(m): 7:57am On Jul 21, 2017
Trashy talk

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by DickDastardly2(m): 7:58am On Jul 21, 2017
sarrki:

It seems a lot of you guys don't know the problem that will come with this state police

The elites of the states will use it for vendetta and political tools
Let them use it ..... The FG has been using wrongly too.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by sarrki(m): 7:59am On Jul 21, 2017
DickDastardly2:
Trashy talk

Knowledge is power

That's why The celestial master of the universe said we should seek knowledge

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by sarrki(m): 7:59am On Jul 21, 2017
DickDastardly2:

Let them use it ..... The FG has been using wrongly too.

May be another republic

Not ours

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by ZKOSOSO(m): 8:00am On Jul 21, 2017
He knows that Fulanis won't like state police cos it's the real solution to Herdsmen killings and Destruction in the land.

North as well know that State policing is one step towards division of the country. Their Nightmare of losing the Main ATM -OIL MONEY..

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by jamace(m): 8:01am On Jul 21, 2017
Nigeria is not ripe for DEMOCRACY too!

What is happening in Nigeria now is called DEMONCRAZY!

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by mikeweezy(m): 8:06am On Jul 21, 2017
cos it may not benefit you abi

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 21, 2017
Lets give state policing a try first. Each local government too should run their own police force

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Ojiofor: 8:12am On Jul 21, 2017
That's his personal opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by ChangetheChange: 8:16am On Jul 21, 2017
grin grin grin

Imagine Yahaya Bello with State Police, he would have ordered the secret extra judicial killing of Dino Melaye and James Faleke

Imagine Hell Rufai with State Police, he would have become the Adolf Hitler of Kaduna State, Hell Rufai would have ordered the arrest of Senator Shehu Sanni and ordered the genocide of Christians in Southern Kaduna

No to State Police

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by ANIEXTY(m): 8:19am On Jul 21, 2017
Abeg i no like this fedral police thing, give us state police and you'll see different states police compete to be better than the other, asin some non.sense go stop

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Blackfire(m): 8:25am On Jul 21, 2017
Oga ig we know it will make you a powerless moneyless ceremonial head... And makes our already half god governors looks more invincible.

Either way we as citizens are fuc.ked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by olaolulazio(m): 8:34am On Jul 21, 2017
Nigeria is not a fruit.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by NonFarmPayrol: 8:35am On Jul 21, 2017
it is oh

with state police

fulani herdsmen will feel the heat under fayose and other no nonsense governors

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 21, 2017
Black cloth man

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by refreshrate: 8:36am On Jul 21, 2017
Fighting to remain relevant

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by basty: 8:36am On Jul 21, 2017
Having a state police is quite dangerous. But the police can be restructured to integrate trained local vigilante funded by the States and FGN to police streets and communities. The arrangement will be like the gendarme (armed police officer in France and other French-speaking countries).
Every community will have theirs and they will be responsible to the Nigerian Police or the office of Inspector General of Police.

The present police would be rearranged for the training and Logistics of the new Police. Community police will be saddle with intelligent gathering, monitoring and registration of individual data and linking to the National database.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by makeitijn: 8:36am On Jul 21, 2017
what an idiotic assertion from a supposedly educated IG, who unfortunately is parading himself as a slowpoke.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Integrityfarms(m): 8:38am On Jul 21, 2017
Have there been anytime we are ready..... Go and sit down IGP

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by eph12(m): 8:39am On Jul 21, 2017
And we will never be ripe for anything in this country nonsense

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 21, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Coyotejack(m): 8:40am On Jul 21, 2017
Exactly what a police IG would say to keep his job, but me I like the concept sha
Lagos State POLICE DEPARTMENT -LAPD
OGUN STATE POLICE DEPARTMENT - OGPD
IMO STATE POLICE DEPARTMENT -IMPD
RIVERS STATE POLICE DEPARTMENT -RIPD
Etc and the list goes on .....
SOUNDS cool to me

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by paBuhari(m): 8:41am On Jul 21, 2017
Of couse why will abok.i support state polices? They prefare the current status quo so that fulani herdsmen will continue to be protected. Centralization of Nigerian security dominated by quota system gambaris is the reason why fulani herdsmen are killing people with impunity unchallenged!

#SupportNnamdiKanu for a better future for you and your children.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Not Ripe For State Police — I-G by Reference(m): 8:41am On Jul 21, 2017
Yes Mr status quo. We know which rock they carved you from. Of course you need more money and more power.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ECOWAS Parliament Pleads For Leniency As Ekweremadu Awaits UK Court Sentence / FLASH| 1.4 Million Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In 6 Months Of PMB’s Administration / Why Buhari Is Yet To Act On NJC’s Recommendation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.