Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,404 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless (7769 Views)

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nightking04(m): 5:32pm On Jul 22, 2017
musicwriter:

Why do you think I' am unable to do that?
I don't know if you can or not but before you say something like that consider things like how many ethnic groups are in Nigeria and the languages they speak. Let me ask you, if we drop english what will be our official language?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by musicwriter(m): 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2017
Nightking04:
I don't know if you can or not but before you say something like that consider things like how many ethnic groups are in Nigeria and the languages they speak. Let me ask you, if we drop english what will be our official language?

What language were we speaking before our contact with white people?

What's the most spoken language in Nigeria? Pidgin or English?

So, yes, we can communicate in Pidgin.

Mind you, I've never advocated for a ban of English, but that English should not continue to have priority over our native languages.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by musicwriter(m): 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2017
Nightking04:

What's the most spoken language in Nigeria? It's Pidgin not English. So, yes, we can communicate in Pidgin.

Mind you, I've never advocated for a ban of English, but that English should not continue to have priority over our native languages.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nightking04(m): 6:40pm On Jul 22, 2017
musicwriter:

What's the most spoken language in Nigeria? Pidgin or English?

So, yes, we can communicate in Pidgin.

Where does pidgin originate from? google it.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by musicwriter(m): 7:15pm On Jul 22, 2017
Nightking04:
Where does pidgin originate from? google it.

Pidgin is a creole language originating from contact with several languages; Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, English, French, Erik, Ijaw, e..t.c.

If I ask you; Wetin this aboki man dey talk?
Wetin= Yoruba.
This= English.
Aboki= Hausa.

So, above you have Yoruba, English, Hausa in that short sentence. Pidgin is not necessarily from English. Pidgin is a creole language. A creole language evolves when two or more languages collide. Because, those cultures MUST evolve a language to talk to themselves. That means the region within the "Niger-area" in pre-colonial Nigeria already had a creole language from where Pidgin originated. Indeed, before slavery, before colonialism, white people also spoke partly our native languages and English or French or Portuguese or Spanish, depending on the Explorer. Trade between Africans was already happening in Pidgin long time before the arrival of white people!!. English was simply added to the mix when white people got here.

Again, Pidgin is a language on its own right, it has nothing to do with white man. Or how do you think people living in the "Niger-area" communicated before the arrival of Lord Lugard? Did they also teach you it was Lord Lugard and his wife that taught us how to speak?

1 Like

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by robosky02(m): 8:00pm On Jul 22, 2017
ednited:

Ethiopians love to yell at foreigners. . .undecided

ednite cheesy
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by LordOfNaira: 8:07pm On Jul 22, 2017
musicwriter:
English is the language of slaves. No true independent nation would put a foreign language above her own. And I try to inform people we can do without English, but they can't just get their heads around it.

And what about foreign religions?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by musicwriter(m): 8:15pm On Jul 22, 2017
LordOfNaira:

And what about foreign religions?

Foreign nations; like? Please mention their names.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by LordOfNaira: 8:22pm On Jul 22, 2017
musicwriter:

Foreign nations; like? Please mention their names.
I wrote Foreign Religions not foreign nations.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by musicwriter(m): 8:34pm On Jul 22, 2017
LordOfNaira:

I wrote Foreign Religions not foreign nations.

So called foreign religion is not actually foreign, but ancient African religions re-modeled by Europeans. But, that's a story for another day, and if you need more info on that email: kemeticphilosophy@gmail, and I'll email you an audiobook- The African origins of the major western religions by Dr. Ben Josef Joachannan. If you're interested in knowing more about the truth on origin of religions, you can read Christianity before Christ by Dr. John G. Jackson. I don't have this now.

However, the re-modeled version of Christianity, Islam, Jeudaism that we have been indoctrinated into is just as bad as white man's language and education. Everything was taken away from us and replaced with a foreign one; including our languages, religion, education, government. Everything...
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by kayelm87(m): 9:34pm On Jul 22, 2017
maureensylvia:
How to steal a fowl! 1. Survey the area for about 1 week. 2. On the day of operation wear an
oversized shirt. 3. Be at the place between 11am
to 2:30pm. At this time of the day, the owners will be
gone to work or
be indoors. The fowls will be playing
outside happily. 4. Walk at the edge of the street and let the fowls walk freely at the center. 5. This is where u make the grand move. 6. Dive like a goalkeeper and grab the fowl by the head. Quickly fold the head into the
feathers and put it in side ur oversized shirt. 7. Move on as if nothing happend. No looking back. THANK_ME_LATER
nawa oo
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by 44chux(m): 10:03pm On Jul 22, 2017
Sniper12:
stop creating shitty threads. English is widely used in ethiopia for official business. the country with the highest english speakers is china
Its obvious you haven't been to China.
How am I even sure you have an international passport grin
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Kollysman1: 8:47am On Jul 23, 2017
officialdayo:
English useless in China?

Who typed this poo?

shut up, Have yu been there? I have seen several Engineers from China that can not speak a word of english....... Dont want to mention the company....

If its not useless in there country, how many Nigerian engineer can yu signify he cant read and write English?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 23, 2017
mansakhalifa:
That musicwriter guy is one funny dude. He's writing in a "language of slaves" and expressing himself clearly to millions on this forum! Try that in your own "free men" language and see what happens. Heck no,we can't do without English or any foreign language the way we are ethnically composed in Nigeria many parts of Africa. Or what language do you suggest we replace the English language with in Nigeria, sir? One that would be understood by or intelligible to all. Igbo? Yoruba? Swahili? smiley Or Hausa?
Swahili will be better
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 23, 2017
English still remains a great language to learn ,understand and communicate. It brings unity were most persons speak same language unlike those countries shying from it, there multi lingua is causing division among themselves because of the fear of one tribe dominating them. English language has to large extend reduce this phenomenon in many countries.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ednited(f): 1:56pm On Jul 23, 2017
robosky02:

ednite cheesy
Robo
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 23, 2017
ItuExchange:
In which areas of the world is English most useless?

The EF English Proficiency Index answers this question very directly. Here is a map of the results that were published in 2015:

You may view the complete list here: EF English Proficiency Index - Wikipedia

Previous answers about Eastern Europe are accurate in my experience. From traveling for the past 14 months through 18 countries on 4 continents, I'd add a few extra problematic countries for travelers who only know English:

China - Of course there are loads of people who speak English in China, but good luck finding them. My wife and I travelled there for 2 months and I don't think we ever found somebody who spoke English when we were looking for them. They would come and find us sometimes though. I guess the best bet would be just to look especially lost and wait for somebody to come to you.

Sudan - In Khartoum many of the well-dressed young people speak very good English, as well as pretty much all waiters (some of them don't even speak Arabic), but, as soon as you get away from the capital almost nobody knows English, including the police.

Ethiopia - Just don't expect anybody on the street to know any more English than “you, you, you", which they always seem to love to yell at foreigners, and the occasional “give me money".

Myanmar - Pretty much the same as Ethiopia. Almost no English anywhere.

Brazil - I speak Portuguese, so it's not an issue for me, but my wife doesn't, so it has become quite clear that a very low percentage of people speak English well in Brazil. Actually, that's how I learned Portuguese in the first place because there were so few people that could understand me otherwise the first time I visited.

Source: https://www.quora.com/In-which-areas-of-the-world-is-English-most-useless

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng

There are so many English speakers in China... They simply won't speak English while addressing u. it happens all the Time. Even in Germany, a huge chunk of the populace can speak very good English, but they won't reply u even if u speak English
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 1:08am On Jul 24, 2017
ItuExchange:
In which areas of the world is English most useless?

The EF English Proficiency Index answers this question very directly. Here is a map of the results that were published in 2015:

You may view the complete list here: EF English Proficiency Index - Wikipedia

Previous answers about Eastern Europe are accurate in my experience. From traveling for the past 14 months through 18 countries on 4 continents, I'd add a few extra problematic countries for travelers who only know English:

China - Of course there are loads of people who speak English in China, but good luck finding them. My wife and I travelled there for 2 months and I don't think we ever found somebody who spoke English when we were looking for them. They would come and find us sometimes though. I guess the best bet would be just to look especially lost and wait for somebody to come to you.

Sudan - In Khartoum many of the well-dressed young people speak very good English, as well as pretty much all waiters (some of them don't even speak Arabic), but, as soon as you get away from the capital almost nobody knows English, including the police.

Ethiopia - Just don't expect anybody on the street to know any more English than “you, you, you", which they always seem to love to yell at foreigners, and the occasional “give me money".

Myanmar - Pretty much the same as Ethiopia. Almost no English anywhere.

Brazil - I speak Portuguese, so it's not an issue for me, but my wife doesn't, so it has become quite clear that a very low percentage of people speak English well in Brazil. Actually, that's how I learned Portuguese in the first place because there were so few people that could understand me otherwise the first time I visited.

Source: https://www.quora.com/In-which-areas-of-the-world-is-English-most-useless

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng

Please don't exaggerate. Most Ethiopians know more English other than "yes yes" like you mentioned.

English is the learning language for all subjects other than Amharic and other native languages from Grade 7 onwards.

If there is no English in Ethiopia, then there is also no English in your country.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by robosky02(m): 9:29am On Jul 24, 2017
ednited:

Robo

eddy how you doing miss u for a while cheesy

hope you are good

cc: ednited
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ednited(f): 2:20pm On Jul 24, 2017
robosky02:

eddy how you doing miss u for a while cheesy
hope you are good
cc: ednited
Yes, am good
how u been? Missed ya
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by robosky02(m): 2:37pm On Jul 24, 2017
ednited:

Yes, am good

how u been? Missed ya

its been wonderful

am cool, the weather here is cold

its the rainy season on naija... cheesy
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Omoluabi16(m): 4:40pm On Jul 24, 2017
ednited:

Yes, am good

how u been? Missed ya
hmmm u no send me again oh. na wa
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ednited(f): 4:41pm On Jul 24, 2017
robosky02:

the weather here is cold

its the rainy season on naija... cheesy
same here
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ednited(f): 4:42pm On Jul 24, 2017
Omoluabi16:
hmmm u no send me again oh. na wa

hehe how u?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Omoluabi16(m): 4:48pm On Jul 24, 2017
ednited:

hehe how u?
I dey o.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ednited(f): 4:54pm On Jul 24, 2017
Omoluabi16:
I dey o.
c'mon
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ednited(f): 4:54pm On Jul 24, 2017
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Omoluabi16(m): 4:56pm On Jul 24, 2017
ednited:

c'mon
C'mon osi gini?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ednited(f): 4:58pm On Jul 24, 2017
Omoluabi16:
C'mon osi gini?
lemenden new be lela quanqa mitawera? Nigeriawi alemehonen resahew ende?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Omoluabi16(m): 5:22pm On Jul 24, 2017
ednited:

lemenden new be lela quanqa mitawera? Nigeriawi alemehonen resahew ende?
which kain wahala be dis na. e be like this one don take kwale gbana again.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ednited(f): 5:28pm On Jul 24, 2017
Omoluabi16:
which kain wahala be dis na. e be like this one don take kwale gbana again.

This is how am not getting you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Current School Fee Payments Received By Various Nigerian Institutions / Net Worth Of Telecom Companies In Nigeria - Techredirector / Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.