Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo (1335 Views)

Yerima Shettima: I Never Said Igbo Wouldn’t Be President – Arewa Youths Leader / Ahmed Yerima Plans To Succeed Buhari As President / Tinubu Begs Igbo In Lagos, Osinbajo Appeals To Hausa Community For Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by marryjesus: 8:00am On Jul 22, 2017
Leader of a coalition of Arewa youth groups that gave Igbo in the North October 1 deadline to vacate the region, Yerima Shettima is singing a new tune by calling for truce. In this interview with KENNY ASHAKA in Kaduna, the Northern youths leader urged the Igbo not to leave again.

Let’s first of all correct the name because today you are called Yerima Shettima and tomorrow it is Shettima Yerima. Which is correct?

No, it is Yerima Shettima. It’s your colleagues that call my name the way they want it. But it is actually Yerima Shettima.

Your group is Arewa…

(Cuts in) Arewa Youths Consultative Forum. That’s the group I represent as the National President.

That’s the group you represent. Fine. But what does it stand for?

Basically, the organisation was formed some 18 years ago or 18 years to be precise when there was a serious dichotomy between the North and the South when there were serious issues on ground during the Obasanjo regime. There were lots of problems after we came out of the popular June 12 struggle and there was agitation from the South West on the issue of the annulment of the 1993 election. There were lots of agitations that brought up organisations like the OPC and the rest of them. Subsequently in exactly 18 years ago, we formed a movement called Arewa Youth Consultative Forum under the guise and advices of our elders from the northern part of the country who felt that there was the need to have a strong organization such as the AYCF to build a bridge across board between the North and the South. At that time there was a serious dichotomy where there was communication gap. So there was the need to have an organization that would build bridges across the south east, south west and south south. So that was why there was the need for a young, vibrant organization to come on board. That was how they suggested and began to work on the frames, terms of references under the then leadership of M.B Abubakar and subsequently Chief Sunday Awoniyi under the guise of Maitama Sule of blessed memory who passed on recently. So there was the need to have somebody and group of young men who will build those bridges. At that time I was channeled to come to the south west more to ensure there was peace because we had our people in the south west and a lot of things happened at that time. We were able to form an alliance and good relationship with the south west organizations such as OPC under the then leadership of Gani Adams and Dr. Frederick Faseun. We did wonderfully well to the extent that that communication gap was actually worked on. We talked very well and started seeing issues from a cordial perspective without violence. It was to the extent that we resolved issues through dialogue. That is what today an average northerner in the south west is benefitting. We did not only end there, we extended our bridge building efforts also to the south south where we met a group like the Ijaw Youth Council, then under the leadership of Asari Dokubo before he went to the creek for the armed struggle. That also calmed nerves because at that time, when there is an issue in the North, specifically Kano or Kaduna when there is an attack on one person it became a national issue where also everybody will begin to attack from his quarters. So we tried as much as possible to build that bridge. I was also able to, at the same time, build the same relationship with the MASSOB leader, Ralph Uwazurike because we came up almost at the same time. All those I have mentioned were my contemporaries when you talk about struggle 18 years ago. Why did you then allow it to get to the stage where you now have to issue a quit order if you have this kind of excellent relationship? Couldn’t you have put a call through?

Now, let us look back. I am one of those bridge builders that everybody knew my position when it comes to national issues. Nobody can take that away from me as far as Nigerian project is concerned today. And often times when I take decisions I don’t always look at myself as an ethnic or socio- cultural pressure group leader. I rather look at myself as a Nigerian. That’s how I look at things. So if there is an injustice against anybody in the south, even if it is under the northern leadership, I react. Everybody knows me for that. What prompted the recent happening was that if you look at my statements and how I define it was that recent happenings, time and events changed a lot of things, particularly with this new group called IPOB that came out less than two years ago. This is where my problem started with that particular group. I do not have any grudge against Igbo. But that particular group IPOB is my problem. So when I made a blanket statement I expected reactions and we got the reactions.

Why would you want a reaction from such a statement?

I want a reaction because that is what keeps us busy today. That is why everybody sat up. That is why everybody is concentrating, looking for a way out. I am glad at least a statement is being made and everybody now is keying to project Nigeria.

Must you close the normal line of communication you established just to achieve a Nigerian project that threw the country into some forms of confusion. Couldn’t you have reached Ralph Uwazurike, the MASSOB leader since you have a link with him?

MASSOB does not have a good relationship with the boy because the boy has completely run out of control. For the past five years now I have been attending Ojukwu Memorial Lectures under the leadership of MASSOB. They invite me and Major Al-Mustapha and co. Even this year, I am likely going to be there. We go there to make speeches. It’s an open day for us just like we mark June 12, Sardauna Memorial Lectures and other memorable occasions. We go to the event under the leadership of MASSOB’s Ralph Uwazurike who happens to be my very good senior brother and good friend. In fact we share a lot of things in confidence. We talk. Even when we talk about Nigeria and he has a different view about Nigeria I try as much as I can to persuade him against what he sees as injustice. He would tell me the only reason

MASSOB was established is because they have been marginalized and Nigeria does not want us. I will tell him supposing we have a system in place that will look at the issue of injustice that you perceive to be against you in form of marginalization, we can equally have a system in place where we can build a country of our own where everybody will be considered as a first class citizen; nobody will be considered as a second class citizen and everything will be good for you. Supposing we have such a thing in motion what will you do? He would say well the only reason why we are doing what we are doing is because we have been marginalized. Nigeria does not want us. I will say God willing our generation will come to that and we will address the issue until this mad boy came; this small man in struggle because I have never known him in struggle.

Let me say your group was instigated and funded by northern elders and…

(Cuts in) No, don’t say that. Are you putting words into my mouth?

No, I am only asking if the group is…

You should ask me but don’t say it is funded by elders. You look at my age in struggle. I am too big to be funded by anybody.

I came to that conclusion when you said some elders from the north saw the need to have a strong organization like the AYCF…

(Cuts in) To build bridges. You are talking about a story of 18 years ago and you are comparing it with now. No. Those are two different things please. If you want this interview let us do it without sentiments. In that case conduct it properly so that we understand because you are saying this for public consumption. Eighteen years ago was a different ball game with the realities of what has transpired and what triggered my action. And I am telling you what triggered my action. I am telling you my relationship. I am not just somebody anybody pushes around. My 18 years of struggle, proper struggle apart from the NADECO struggle and whatever I did when I was a student. Now to get to where I am, you should have known that nobody can push me to do anything at this age, even here in the North, in the northern stakeholders; even the elders. Nobody would have asked me to do anything negatively without me being convinced to do that thing before I do it.

So, nobody influenced my recent decision. My recent decision was borne out of frustration with this young man who goes around abusing my identity, my community, my people, undermining a country called Nigeria. I am a strong Nigerian, proudly a Nigerian. This man came from nowhere. He is never our class in struggles. I don’t know where he started his struggle, but he came out and within one year and suddenly because unfortunately the government made it easy for him to become popular; otherwise, Kanu is not an issue.

Who do we blame?

The government to an extent; to have even in the first place arrested this man, somebody who is being influenced by drugs. Who is Kanu in the circle of struggles? So to me it is high time when somebody behaves like a mad man and you behave like a gentleman you realize that this gentleman is getting out of hand undermining everybody, abusing everybody. You cannot… I am proudly a northerner and that’s my identity. I cannot be a leader at my level and allow this man to be talking and abusing the sensibilities of my people and you expect me to fold my hands. As a leader of the youths, it’s impossible.

Can you say the other groups in the coalition have the same ideology with you?

Of course; that is why I am the leader of the coalition. If we do not agree we would not have had the coalition. And the 16 organizations that form the coalition are popular organizations in the northern region, just like I am. But based on experience and struggle they unanimously endorsed that I lead this movement. So it is a coalition. That is why we call it Coalition of Northern Groups.
full details at http://www.akelicious.com/2017/07/quit-notice-dont-go-yerima-arewa-youths.html

1 Share

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by hatchy(f): 8:05am On Jul 22, 2017
.w
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by abokibuhari: 8:07am On Jul 22, 2017
Why them they beg again

Buha ri coffin fall on them

5 Likes

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 8:08am On Jul 22, 2017
Lolz, they don think say hunger go finish them, they go be like Syria after 1yr if igbos leave

4 Likes

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by Dotwillis1(m): 8:09am On Jul 22, 2017
you don't have to beg. They ain't going nowhere before
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 8:09am On Jul 22, 2017
abokibuhari:
Why them they beg again

Buha ri coffin fall on them

Na people wey their brain still de work de beg them, not abokis like you with deranged brain
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by vanbonattel: 8:10am On Jul 22, 2017
Imagine the concombility! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by abokibuhari: 8:11am On Jul 22, 2017
IneedSugarMumy1:

Na people wey their brain still de work de beg them, not abokis like you with deranged brain
Are you sick, who told amebo like you that I'm a northerner
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 8:18am On Jul 22, 2017
abokibuhari:

Are you sick, who told amebo like you that I'm a northerner

They're denying already hahaha, so unfortunate you can't change your sobriquet unless you create another account

So your nomenclature tells who you're

3 Likes

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by Thewrath(m): 8:25am On Jul 22, 2017
I see
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by Nwakaumu(m): 9:00am On Jul 22, 2017
Kanu is causing hpb for this frustrated hausa man who wants to eat his cake and still have it.he could not even make a coherent speech.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by TheKingIsHere: 9:05am On Jul 22, 2017
All these fake news outlets peddling lies are getting too much and annoying angry

2 Likes

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by ZombieTAMER: 9:56am On Jul 22, 2017
The people that gave the quit notice are still walking free...
That alone is an indication that any Igbo or southern christain tribes still residing in core northern states as from 1st Oct.. It's OYO

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by ZombieTAMER: 9:59am On Jul 22, 2017
TheKingIsHere:
All these fake news outlets peddling lies are getting too much and annoying angry
you don't like the food or the sauce? grin

That's an authentic sauce.. Deal with it
You might just survive kiss

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by iLoveConductor: 10:33am On Jul 22, 2017
Yoruba Muslims, come and hold your parasite masters. Sai Biafra.

3 Likes

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by hucienda: 10:34am On Jul 22, 2017
Is this guy confused?
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by Yyeske(m): 10:39am On Jul 22, 2017
Igbos in the north should just leave before that date, anything can happen anytime soon. All thanks to Nnamdi kanu and his IPOB miscreants.
Leave the north please or you may have yourself to blame.
Remember Kaduna, Kano, Abuja, Jos, Sokoto etc are not safe

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by achi4u(m): 10:53am On Jul 22, 2017
Speaking from both sides of the mouth.
My mind keeps telling me that Northerners will loose more (more than Igbos) should Igbos vacant their region.
Still want all my people to be home on or before Oct 1st

4 Likes

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by papaejima1: 10:59am On Jul 22, 2017
hehehe

1 Like

Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by cumbak60: 11:11am On Jul 22, 2017
This is a welcome development. Peace should reign. Biafra should come through peace and mutual understanding. IPOB, please tune down on your insults and abuses..... Engage naysayers with decorum.
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by greatermax77(m): 11:15am On Jul 22, 2017
Any Igbo man that stays in the north after August 30th is on his own.
Come back & join hands in building our region.
Its going to be painful but with determination that is in our dna, we will overcome in a no distant time.
Leave north & see if they will not beg u.
Leave Lagos & see if their economy will not crumble.
we are great people.
All these happenings are good omen
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by honourhim: 11:56am On Jul 22, 2017
The arewa youths missed it at first. They should have just faced the foolish Nnamdi Kanu and his IPOB gang of touts than facing the entire Igbo.

Now he has faced ipob when he has already spoilt things. I still advice Igbos in the north and even the southerners, by extention to pls vacate the north before the october date, come back and let's watch them for some time before u go back. We can't trust the north and their killing venture at the slightest provocation.
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by Blackfire(m): 12:19pm On Jul 22, 2017
October 1 is going to be sweet... As the igbos are leaving the north... The north and there brothers who owns oil well should also get prepared ...Oct 1st.

International vultures are circling to share the meat.
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by Yyeske(m): 12:59pm On Jul 22, 2017
achi4u:
Speaking from both sides of the mouth.
My mind keeps telling me that Northerners will loose more (more than Igbos) should Igbos vacant their region.
Still want all my people to be home on or before Oct 1st
Tell Ndigbo up north to relocate and let's see the north lose, move first before making excuses.
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by irepnaija4eva(m): 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2017
Lol...Arewa begging igbos not to go shocked shocked
So who are the fucking unity beggers now?

Yes is a known fact that Igbo's will loose trillions if they secede. But they will surly bounce back relentlessly stronger and better.
Plus,they will never go hungry.

Fact!!!
Re: Quit Notice: Don’t Go, Yerima, Arewa Youths Leader Begs Igbo by MediumStout(m): 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2017
sad

(1) (Reply)

Biafra: See What Will Happen To Those Policemen Who Took Photos With Nnamdi Kanu / What Is Nigeria's Greatest Achievement/greatest Mistake Since Independence / Jonathan Warns Nigerian Students Against Creating ‘artificial Human Beings’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.