Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba (3984 Views)

Saraki Trial: APC Will Not Cede Senate Presidency To Opposition – Oyegun / "Northern Youths" Threaten To "Extinguish" AIT If Buhari Doesn't Win (Letter) / Gowon Did Not Cede Bakassi - Akinjide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by trueword: 9:00am On Feb 06, 2010
Northern lawyers threaten to cede from NBA
By Ise-Oluwa Ige
Feb 5, 2010

ABUJA—The Northern Chapters of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) yesterday threatened to cede should the President of the Nigerian Bar Association [NBA] Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN shift the National Executive Committee [NEC] meeting of the association earlier slated for Yola, Adamawa State Capital.

The northern branches which accused Akeredolu of carrying out an ethnic agenda by his general conducts vowed to form a parallel umbrella association for lawyers practising in the north if the plan to shift the rendezvous of the NEC meeting is not rescinded.

They however did not give details of the allegation of ethnicism against Akeredolu.

The Akeredolu led-NEC of NBA had met recently to review the situations in the country and resolved to move the meeting venue of the association from Yola to another place following the violence in Jos which had claimed hundreds of lives.

The Committee was of the view that it would be wise to hold the association’s annual meeting in a place where the lives of member could be guaranteed.

But the innocuous motive of the Akeredolu_led NEC was misinterpreted.
Vanguard however gathered yesterday that some powerful individuals in government who are also members of NBA were behind the present incitement against Akeredolu because he refused to support anti-people policies of government.
The said government official was said to be baiting some of the rebellious members of the association with juicy contracts and promises of robust relationship.

Nevertheless, the northern branches through their various states Chairmen and Secretaries however threw their weight behind the position of the national body calling on ailing President Umaru Yar’adua to transmit power to Vice President Goodluck Jonathan.

Some of the group members who were in Abuja on Friday to present a protest letter to the General Secretary of the NBA, Ibrahim Eddy Mark said that the allegation that the northern part of the country was unsafe to host the association’s NEC’s meeting was unfounded.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/02/05/northern-lawyers-threaten-to-cede-from-nba/
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by bist: 1:59pm On Feb 06, 2010
How is it our biz?
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Parnassuss(m): 2:02pm On Feb 06, 2010
Personally I'm impressed. So members of the northern elite can choose to boycott or secede, hmm brings back poignant memories I say. As to the reason for relocation, i say if the entire members were dissatisfied it would have a unified effort, this tribalistic approach shows itself for what it is; a pathetic and self centred attempt to dominate seeming 'weaker tribes'. Up Ake i say. But the details are rather sketchy, I'm sure when the northern get their story to light, it'll not be so straight forward.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by idifu(m): 2:09pm On Feb 06, 2010
dis is sadsad
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by sjeezy8: 2:21pm On Feb 06, 2010
hahah lmfao do they really expect a conference full of lawyer most likely mainly from the South to have a meeting in the north after the religous clashes in jos? they must be crazy!
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by sayso: 2:23pm On Feb 06, 2010
divide the Country then
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Arewamotor: 2:30pm On Feb 06, 2010
The lawyers need not fear about the north, only that they should clarify the constitutionality of ACP surrounding the venue of the conference grin grin grin
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by goodiz(m): 2:33pm On Feb 06, 2010
So even the Northern lawyers are as silly and idiotic as their illiterate almajiris? Wat a people!
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by babapupa: 3:05pm On Feb 06, 2010
These northern clowns must really think the sun rise and set on their a!s!s!e!s
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by snowdrops(m): 3:18pm On Feb 06, 2010
bist:

How is it our biz?
Is that all your brain could submit? cheesy
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by goodiz(m): 3:24pm On Feb 06, 2010
the north poses a more dangerous setback -- economic and otherwise -- for this country than bad roads, unemployment and the rest. they have a greater concentration of illiterates, fools, idiots and beasts than any other zone in the country.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 06, 2010
bist:

How is it our biz?

It is a proof of what some of us already know long ago, that

Nigeria is not one country
Nigeria is was never one country
Nigeria will never be one country.

Quote me.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by browncocos(f): 3:49pm On Feb 06, 2010
goodiz:

the north poses a more dangerous setback -- economic and otherwise -- for this country than bad roads, unemployment and the rest. they have a greater concentration of illiterates, fools, idiots and beasts than any other zone in the country.

LWKMD Oga o!
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by kkkossy(m): 3:54pm On Feb 06, 2010
trueword:

Northern lawyers threaten to cede from NBA
By Ise-Oluwa Ige
Feb 5, 2010

ABUJA—The Northern Chapters of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) yesterday threatened to cede should the President of the Nigerian Bar Association [NBA] Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN shift the National Executive Committee [NEC] meeting of the association earlier slated for Yola, Adamawa State Capital.

The northern branches which accused Akeredolu of carrying out an ethnic agenda by his general conducts vowed to form a parallel umbrella association for lawyers practising in the north if the plan to shift the rendezvous of the NEC meeting is not rescinded.

They however did not give details of the allegation of ethnicism against Akeredolu.

The Akeredolu led-NEC of NBA had met recently to review the situations in the country and resolved to move the meeting venue of the association from Yola to another place following the violence in Jos which had claimed hundreds of lives.

The Committee was of the view that it would be wise to hold the association’s annual meeting in a place where the lives of member could be guaranteed.

But the innocuous motive of the Akeredolu_led NEC was misinterpreted.
Vanguard however gathered yesterday that some powerful individuals in government who are also members of NBA were behind the present incitement against Akeredolu because he refused to support anti-people policies of government.
The said government official was said to be baiting some of the rebellious members of the association with juicy contracts and promises of robust relationship.

Nevertheless, the northern branches through their various states Chairmen and Secretaries however threw their weight behind the position of the national body calling on ailing President Umaru Yar’adua to transmit power to Vice President Goodluck Jonathan.

Some of the group members who were in Abuja on Friday to present a protest letter to the General Secretary of the NBA, Ibrahim Eddy Mark said that the allegation that the northern part of the country was unsafe to host the association’s NEC’s meeting was unfounded.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/02/05/northern-lawyers-threaten-to-cede-from-nba/

WILL THIS BRING YARADUA BACK
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Ess: 4:12pm On Feb 06, 2010
What is this doing in the front page? NL is becoming too tribalistic, people are eagerly waiting to see a caption with NORTH and start the attack as if it will solve the problem. RUBBISH!
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by slap1(m): 4:50pm On Feb 06, 2010
^^ R u not tribalistic?
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by sauwal: 5:17pm On Feb 06, 2010
There are alternative routes to yola by road apart from jos,and by shifting the venue to Abuja,NBA members from North-East would also not like to pass through jos for fear of there lives.
Pls i would like to see us having 2 or more NBAs just like we now have many law schools even if to break the monopoly of yorubas in NBA .or what do you think?
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by asha80(m): 5:20pm On Feb 06, 2010
sauwal:

There are alternative routes to yola by road apart from jos,and by shifting the venue to Abuja,NBA members from North-East would also not like to pass through jos for fear of there lives.
Pls i would like to see us having 2 or more NBAs just like we now have many law schools even if to break the monopoly of yorubas in NBA .or what do you think?

Please go to school if you want to do that.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by bolanleodu: 5:32pm On Feb 06, 2010
North, north, north the idea of anything north has began to irritate me.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 06, 2010
asha 80:

Please go to school if you want to do that.
@Ess, perfect answer.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Tsiya(m): 6:10pm On Feb 06, 2010
While I do not question the authenticity of the news, I do however question the credibility of vanguard. It is a fact that vanguard newspaper have continud to carry sensatioanl news regarding anything that have to do with North. It is worth while to note that this news did not cite any source rather based on the understanding of the writer. I want to believe that Vanguard enjoys fanning the embers or ethnicity in Nigeria
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by slap1(m): 6:15pm On Feb 06, 2010
^^ believe wat u will.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Nobody: 6:40pm On Feb 06, 2010
It is quite sad that nairalanders are divided on ethnic lines in matters of national interest like this. Though d story seems sensational ther's some element of truth in it. why move d venue of NBA Executive committee meeting on such ground. There's more to this than what has been mentioned here and it will soon come to light.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by oiseworld: 6:46pm On Feb 06, 2010
waooo:

It is quite sad that nairalanders are divided on ethnic lines in matters of national interest like this. Though d story seems sensational ther's some element of truth in it. why move d venue of NBA Executive committee meeting on such ground. There's more to this than what has been mentioned here and it will soon come to light.

guy better be wise, national interest does not exist in nigeria, na belle interest we get.  see the presidents handing over issue.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by slap1(m): 6:58pm On Feb 06, 2010
^ let him keep dreaming.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by ssumpta(f): 7:01pm On Feb 06, 2010
So its now wrong for an Association  president to be concerned for the safety of its members.
Move that meeting Akeredolu let's see what these idiots can do. See me see wahala!
noblezone:

It is a proof of what some of us already know long ago, that

Nigeria is not one country
Nigeria is was never one country
Nigeria will never be one country.

I concur.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by aieromon(m): 7:03pm On Feb 06, 2010
I dare them to cede
Bloody m0r0ns.
The NBA president is concerned about the security of his constituency and they decide to read meaning to it.Phuck 'em
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 06, 2010
I dont see why the meeting has to be shifted from Yola.

That's like cancelling a conference in Warri because of unrest in Port harcourt. Too much apprehension without solid evidence Warri will be the same way as PH.

doesnt make sense.

They should just be very alert while there, that's all. And pray.

In any case, I dont really see much impact of the NBA with the way criminals roam free in Nigeria. Lawlessness is the order of the day.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Keegan: 7:16pm On Feb 06, 2010
Another clear indication that the North feels it can do whatever pleases it. Let them secede it might just be the beginning of the end.

1 Like

Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by ozalogbo: 7:34pm On Feb 06, 2010
The NBA has been one strong, united body that has so far made its contributions in our quest to move the nation forward. A minor issue like this should not be allowed to divide the NBA. I would advise the NBA Pesident to reconsider the issue.
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Nobody: 7:38pm On Feb 06, 2010
good thought
Re: Northern Lawyers Threaten To Cede From Nba by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 06, 2010
mad mullahs

allahu akbar! cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pdp Says Jonathan Can Contest / Happy Birthday To Myself / An Intelectual Responce To Chinue Achebe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.